PDA

View Full Version : new upper , need barrel with RGP or decent GP ?

Pappabear
11-23-17, 10:18
I own several of the Sionics RGP barrels and dig them. Want to build another upper to replace my Noveske gas chocker 10.5. I don't care if it is 10.3 or 16 inch. Who makes barrels that I can run suppressed without a gas mask these days? I was considering another Sionics but I wanted to run a Geissele rail but they make a 9.5 rail vs 10.5 or 10. Annoying.

I'm up to buy a complete upper or build one out. I want to run a can and enjoy it. 10.2 to 16 inch is good. Possible an 18 inch if it didn't weigh a ton. I have not shopped AR15's in a bit so help a brother out.

what says wise ones ?

PB

Furbyballer
11-23-17, 16:53
I would get whatever barrel floats your boat for durability and accuracy and then pick up one of Clint's BRT micro tune gas ports and neck down your gas port to your size choice to achieve your goal. I've done that twice now for bcm barrels and DD barrels to get them to the right gas port size.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Clint
11-23-17, 18:36
I see an BRT OPTIMUM SPR (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-16-OPTIMUM-SPR-STAINLESS-Barrel-Complete/p/79720048/category=1852006) in your future, Pappabear.

Wake27
11-23-17, 18:53
ROGTac and Brownells both have 10% off coupons right now, including KAC uppers. I've only ever shot two suppressed guns - 90 rounds on a Noveske w/ switchblock (but I forgot to put it on suppressed...) and two 30 round mag dumps on a full auto KAC CQB. With the Noveske, I remember thinking how unwieldily a 16" gun with a can was and that it was spraying me in the face. The only thing I remember thinking about the KAC is that it was ****ing cool. That's about as unscientific as it gets but I'm pretty sure gas blowing into my face was the last thing on my mind.

tom12.7
11-23-17, 19:22
To the OP, what can and ammunition are you running now? Would you be open to other can and ammunition selections if they could reduce your issues?
There's a lot of ways to make less of a point of your issues with the products available at this time without reliability and/or durability issues.

opngrnd
11-23-17, 21:07
I see an BRT OPTIMUM SPR (http://www.blackrivertactical.com/concrete5/store/#!/BRT-16-OPTIMUM-SPR-STAINLESS-Barrel-Complete/p/79720048/category=1852006) in your future, Pappabear.

These are pretty well done. Very smooth shooting.

Pappabear
11-25-17, 10:13
I have two guns with Clints reducers in them, I know them well. The lower has all the goodies all ready, Vltor A5 etc. I don't run super hot ammo. I might be buying a Faxon 16inch middy, that should be ok. Running an AAC M42K can, which is gassy.

I'll keep you guys posted.

PB

Clint
11-25-17, 11:30
We may have one of those 16" mid barrels left and some 18" rifles too.

The mid will definitely need a port.

To be honest, for dedicated suppressed, a 16" barrel will do better with something longer than a mid length gas system.

tom12.7
11-26-17, 17:33
Most any "off the shelf" barrel will be over gassed. You can reduce issues somewhat with more action mass. There are some offerings from 11.5" KAC's that run well dedicated suppressed without going out of a normal range in action mass. I run some MOD1s and MOD2s full time with KAC and Surefire cans using the A5H4 and green spring pretty well. You will need to drop action mass if you want to shoot without the can reliably.