PDA

View Full Version : Two stage reset

11-23-17, 11:36
BLUF: What two stage triggers have short resets, but duty-type weight?

Long version: I have a mere passing familiarity with two stage AR triggers. Some of the ones I have tried had very long resets, all the way out; easy to short-stroke. Perhaps I have a training issue?

I’m looking for shorter resets, basically at the junction of the two stages. Is this a thing, or should I stick with single stage triggers? What brands/models would most satisfy that requirement?

Use is CQM/HD, and all my AR’s currently contain coated single stage triggers such as the ALG ECT. Reliability is very important, and I do not want a super light trigger. Trying to narrow my options.

Edit: I thought I put this in general, not technical, so feel free to move if necessary, mods.

Jmedic_
11-23-17, 16:46
BLUF: What two stage triggers have short resets, but duty-type weight?

Long version: I have a mere passing familiarity with two stage AR triggers. Some of the ones I have tried had very long resets, all the way out; easy to short-stroke. Perhaps I have a training issue?

I’m looking for shorter resets, basically at the junction of the two stages. Is this a thing, or should I stick with single stage triggers? What brands/models would most satisfy that requirement?

Use is CQM/HD, and all my AR’s currently contain coated single stage triggers such as the ALG ECT. Reliability is very important, and I do not want a super light trigger. Trying to narrow my options.

Edit: I thought I put this in general, not technical, so feel free to move if necessary, mods.

Have you taken a look at the Geissele SD-C?

GH41
11-23-17, 17:16
If you get a chance look at the Wilson TTU. It is single stage with 4.5# pull, no perceptible takeup, breaks like ice and has a very short reset. It is my favorite trigger for a do anything rifle.

11-23-17, 17:31
Have you taken a look at the Geissele SD-C?
I have looked at the website blurb, but have not gotten my paws on one to try. The specs are appealing, as is the SSA. Is the reset short, or is it all the way back at the beginning of the 1st stage?

If you get a chance look at the Wilson TTU. It is single stage with 4.5# pull, no perceptible takeup, breaks like ice and has a very short reset. It is my favorite trigger for a do anything rifle.
Thanks; I’ll take a look, but I’m really interested in purchasing a two stage to see what those are about. I’ve been shooting a lot of DA/SA pistol lately, and it has me curious about rifle triggers that have some travel, but still have a short reset.

Unfortunately, the only place I can go to try a trigger in a store is PSA....

turnburglar
11-24-17, 01:01
I have a G2S , and know exactly what your talking about. If the reset is that important then you should probably stick with a good single stage like the ACT. For close quarters shooting I don’t think a 2nd stage offers any benefits. The only reason I like a 2nd stage is for maximum control when breaking precision long range shots. Like 300y+

Edit: and a two stage rifle trigger is nothing like a DA/SA trigger. It’s much more comparable to a striker fired.

11-24-17, 03:38
I have a G2S , and know exactly what your talking about. If the reset is that important then you should probably stick with a good single stage like the ACT. For close quarters shooting I don’t think a 2nd stage offers any benefits. The only reason I like a 2nd stage is for maximum control when breaking precision long range shots. Like 300y+

Edit: and a two stage rifle trigger is nothing like a DA/SA trigger. It’s much more comparable to a striker fired.

Makes sense. Thanks.

gaijin
11-24-17, 05:58
The Geissle S3G does have a short reset, but is a single stage.
Comes with a 4# pull and has an included, lighter hammer spring for a 3# pull weight.

I use a couple and the reset is short, function has been flawless.
While not a 2 stage, it may meet your criteria.

Jsp10477
11-25-17, 15:56
The silver KAC drop in 2 stage is what you want. Breaks like an SSA but resets on the wall of the second stage.

Mr. Goodtimes
11-25-17, 16:20
The SSA or KAC will be your ticket. The SSA is in use by SOCOM and has an NSN Number, the KAC 2 Stage is the trigger that comes in the SR-15, which the USSS currently issues. So both triggers ave a track record in serious use rifles. I would also feel comfortable using an S3G with the heavier spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizzman
11-25-17, 17:38
I haven't seen anybody answer yet regarding the SSA's reset point. I ordered one yesterday, my first, and will let you know when it arrives if you haven't been informed yet.

11-25-17, 17:54
The SSA resets almost all the way out.

I wouldn't try to ride the reset on an AR anyway, you'll wind up unintentionally tossing rounds downrange.

If you want to shoot as fast as possible, a stock trigger or a Geissele S3G would be better than a two stage.

There is nothing about a two stage AR trigger that will be remotely similar to a DA/SA handgun. It's close to a good 1911 trigger.

turnburglar
11-26-17, 09:47
I haven't seen anybody answer yet regarding the SSA's reset point. I ordered one yesterday, my first, and will let you know when it arrives if you haven't been informed yet.
I did.

For all purposes an SSA =G2S

11-26-17, 10:23
Thanks for the advice, guys. All my training and muscle memory thus far has been on military type triggers (for the M4/AR), so I appreciate the education. My comment on the DA/SA pistol was not meant to say that I mean to reproduce that exact pull, just that I’ve become more open minded about travel length.

I think what I’ll do is order an SSA, and try it out for awhile in my “recce” type rifle, and put either a S3G or Hiperfire EDT in my CQB gun. I’m trying to take advantage of some sales, obviously.

11-26-17, 11:11
I know Geissele markets a bunch of different triggers for a bunch of different purposes, but I'm kind of a pick one and stick with it kind of guy when it comes to triggers.

I have four lowers, three have SSAs, the RECCE has an SSA-E. All of my handguns are stock Glock triggers (Gen5 and 43).

This makes training and muscle memory very simple and effective.

11-26-17, 11:35
I know Geissele markets a bunch of different triggers for a bunch of different purposes, but I'm kind of a pick one and stick with it kind of guy when it comes to triggers.

I have four lowers, three have SSAs, the RECCE has an SSA-E. All of my handguns are stock Glock triggers (Gen5 and 43).

This makes training and muscle memory very simple and effective.

I don’t disagree. I’ve been sticking with plain stock triggers or ones like the ALG ACT my entire shooting life, but I’ve been in the mood to try something new. Maybe in a year I’ll conclude that fancy triggers are stupid. Or I’ll conclude that every gun should have an SSA. I’ll standardize whatever I land on, though (except the precision gun).

11-26-17, 13:46
Go ahead and budget an SSA for every lower then!

stevenravenscroft
11-26-17, 20:16
Go ahead and budget an SSA for every lower then!

I hope your right. I ordered a ssa-e on friday. Always ran mil spec triggers. All my ar's noww have alg act or pnt triggers, never cared for double action pistols only my 1911's. I really hope I didnt f up on this one, I really didnt need it. But I love me a nice trigger.

11-26-17, 21:57
They help. I've been shooting SSAs since they first started making 'em about ten years ago. Two years ago I took a stock trigger for a spin. Nope. I'm spoiled. I find value in the SSA even at close-in stuff. With small, low probability targets I am faster and more accurate with it vs a stocker.