PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Mags

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 11:05
Yes, I think it is time to have this dreaded discussion. I have been doing a lot of listening and reading on 1911 mags. Everyone has their favorite mags. I have ONLY had experiece with WC 8 and 10rd mags. One of my 10rd mags does not function well in my WC CQB, but other than that they have all run well and have THOUSANDS of rounds through them at several different training classes.

Back to the discussion. Reading various 1911 forums, it seems that a lot of folks like ACT and Chip mags. A lot of folks don't like WC mags. Interested in learning more, I spoke to a 1911 smith that has taken the time to measure a bunch of different companies mags for consistency. What did he find? That WC comes were the most consistent of ANY mag he has tested to date. Mags that follow the same specs "consistently" tend to be more reliable. The mag journey to continues....

C4

rob_s
10-25-06, 11:32
Discussing 1911 mags is like discussing religion. I don't believe anyone else's hype and use what works best for me and what I'm most comfortable with. For every 'smith that measures random samples and finds that WC is most consistent, there's another that has done the same with McCormick, Tripp, ACT, etc.

Steve
10-25-06, 11:34
http://www.10-8performance.com/id17.html

good info there

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 11:40
Discussing 1911 mags is like discussing religion. I don't believe anyone else's hype and use what works best for me and what I'm most comfortable with. For every 'smith that measures random samples and finds that WC is most consistent, there's another that has done the same with McCormick, Tripp, ACT, etc.

To date, I have NOT found anyone that has taken apart 30-50 mags and MIC'd them as this guy has done. If you can prove me wrong, please point me towards the URL.

C4

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 11:44
http://www.10-8performance.com/id17.html

good info there

Read that, which is why I found it interesting that this 1911 smith advised that the Chip mags were crap as far as consistency goes. I will have to ask him if he has checked out the Tripp mags.

C4

rob_s
10-25-06, 12:01
Read that, which is why I found it interesting that this 1911 smith advised that the Chip mags were crap as far as consistency goes. I will have to ask him if he has checked out the Tripp mags.
C4
And there ya go, it's all voodoo, mumbo jumbo, and who do you trust.

I trust me and my guns and the mags I find that work.

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 12:06
And there ya go, it's all voodoo, mumbo jumbo, and who do you trust.

I trust me and my guns and the mags I find that work.

I am simply talking about how consistently the mags are made (not how they perform). You can have mags that are all over the place and function perfectly in your gun. All it implies is that the manufacturers QC levels and or ability to produce the same mag over and over again to the same set of specs is lacking.

If a mag runs well in your weapon then that is a great. However, it might NOT run well in someone elses 1911. In order to make mag recommendations, it is FAR better to go with mags that are made the same way everytime VS ones that are not.

C4

rob_s
10-25-06, 13:15
this is why I have stopped giving recommendations unless directly and purposely asked.;)

SHIVAN
10-25-06, 13:19
I only know what works for me. I have used CMC Power Mags and Wilson 47D's in all classes where I shot the 1911.

None have failed to date.

These mags are also used in other 1911's I own. None have failed to date.

I recommend Wilson or CMC Power Mags. I have observed "wiggle room" in nearly every 1911 mag well -- from Colt's, Kimbers, Customs, etc. The tolerances can't be THAT tight.

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 14:13
I only know what works for me. I have used CMC Power Mags and Wilson 47D's in all classes where I shot the 1911.

None have failed to date.

These mags are also used in other 1911's I own. None have failed to date.

I recommend Wilson or CMC Power Mags. I have observed "wiggle room" in nearly every 1911 mag well -- from Colt's, Kimbers, Customs, etc. The tolerances can't be THAT tight.

47D's are what I like currently.

C4

cohiba
10-25-06, 14:25
While I appreciate the advise and experiences of the 1911 gurus that are out and about, a 1911 owner will drive themselves completely crazy trying to follow all of their recommendations, often at the expense of second guessing something that has worked very well in the past.

I used stock Colt 7rd mags for years. They worked fine. When they didn't, they were thrown away. Now I use Wilson 47D 8 rounders. They work flawlessly FOR ME in MY WEAPON. Never understood and never will how me liking something is the same as me saying what someone else has is shit. Its different for everybody.

My gunsmiths as well as some friends at the Prancing Pony factory down the street have said the same thing you have heard Grant that mag for mag, Wilsons are the most consistent but that doesn't mean that others are not GTG as well. You are going to love getting into this 1911 stuff! :D

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 14:34
While I appreciate the advise and experiences of the 1911 gurus that are out and about, a 1911 owner will drive themselves completely crazy trying to follow all of their recommendations, often at the expense of second guessing something that has worked very well in the past.

I used stock Colt 7rd mags for years. They worked fine. When they didn't, they were thrown away. Now I use Wilson 47D 8 rounders. They work flawlessly FOR ME in MY WEAPON. Never understood and never will how me liking something is the same as me saying what someone else has is shit. Its different for everybody.

My gunsmiths as well as some friends at the Prancing Pony factory down the street have said the same thing you have heard Grant that mag for mag, Wilsons are the most consistent but that doesn't mean that others are not GTG as well. You are going to love getting into this 1911 stuff! :D

Well said. Almost everyone I shoot with (that has a 1911) use WC 47D's without problems.

The mag thing is SO bad, that I am thinking about not even offering mags with my 1911's. :(

C4

SHIVAN
10-25-06, 14:50
Have the Novak mags been mic'ed? They seem like pretty well constructed pieces.

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 14:58
Have the Novak mags been mic'ed? They seem like pretty well constructed pieces.

I am pretty certain that Novak does NOT make their own mags. I believe that ACT makes them. Those mags have been checked for consistency and it wasn't good (that doesn't mean they won't run in peoples 1911's).

C4

rob_s
10-25-06, 15:02
I am pretty certain that Novak does NOT make their own mags. I believe that ACT makes them. Those mags have been checked for consistency and it wasn't good (that doesn't mean they won't run in peoples 1911's).
C4
The three Novak's I received with my Yost gun are marked ACT. ACT mags also ship with Nighthawk guns.

SHIVAN
10-25-06, 15:10
Supply ONE Wilson mag with any 1911 you offer. People who hate Wilson will toss it or sell it.

GlockWRX
10-25-06, 15:23
I've had good luck with the 7 rnd Wilson's. They seem to have a longer follower that would theoretically offer more resistance to tipping (of the follower). But I have no evidence to back up that theory.

I'm sure you have seen the multi page discussions about mags over at the 10-8 forums about mags. The consensus over there is the CMC Powermag tube and Tripp 7 rnd conversion.

From a 'make it right' perspective, I might look at including one or two of the Tripp Cobra mags with your pistols, or some of the CMC/Tripp hybrids.

From a strictly business perspective, I might just buy about a 1000 Wilson mags (either the 47's or 47D's) and include 1 or 2 with each gun. A large percentage of shooters will use them as-is, while those that don't like Wilson's probably already have a bucket load of their favorite mags anyway. You are still supplying a quality mag, but it's a lot less expensive than the gourmet models some of the HSLD types like.

Just my two cents. Hope that helps.

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 15:54
The three Novak's I received with my Yost gun are marked ACT. ACT mags also ship with Nighthawk guns.

That is correct. ACT makes NH's mags.

C4

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 15:57
Supply ONE Wilson mag with any 1911 you offer. People who hate Wilson will toss it or sell it.

Well I was thinking of offering at least 2-4 Wilson 47D mags.

C4

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 15:58
I've had good luck with the 7 rnd Wilson's. They seem to have a longer follower that would theoretically offer more resistance to tipping (of the follower). But I have no evidence to back up that theory.

I'm sure you have seen the multi page discussions about mags over at the 10-8 forums about mags. The consensus over there is the CMC Powermag tube and Tripp 7 rnd conversion.

From a 'make it right' perspective, I might look at including one or two of the Tripp Cobra mags with your pistols, or some of the CMC/Tripp hybrids.

From a strictly business perspective, I might just buy about a 1000 Wilson mags (either the 47's or 47D's) and include 1 or 2 with each gun. A large percentage of shooters will use them as-is, while those that don't like Wilson's probably already have a bucket load of their favorite mags anyway. You are still supplying a quality mag, but it's a lot less expensive than the gourmet models some of the HSLD types like.

Just my two cents. Hope that helps.

Tripp mags are nice, but think they might be over priced. I will see if they will work with me on pricing and go from there.

C4

Vinh
10-25-06, 15:59
I use 47Ds and Powermags. I have noticed the Wilsons drop free from more frames. I have noticed 47Ds exhibit considerable drag when muddy, while Powermags seem to operate normally. I have noticed my 47Ds sometimes no longer accept the eighth round (also occurs in my Powermags, but not as frequently).

The mag thing is SO bad, that I am thinking about not even offering mags with my 1911's. :(
Good call. Bundled mags merely add to the cost of the gun, and may not be what the owner prefers. For example, my Nighthawk and YoBo guns came with mags (ACT/Novaks if I recall correctly), which I promptly gave away. And don't even get me started on "custom" mags that are specifically tuned for reliable operation in a particular gun. :rolleyes: Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a high-profile SWAT mag review of a custom gun, one of the custom mags didn't work and had to be removed. If custom mags don't help, or a gun needs custom mags, what's the point?

Actually, on second thought, I just realized that I neglected to use the special mags that came with my Pro. Maybe that's why it won't run! :eek:

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 16:08
I use 47Ds and Powermags. I have noticed the Wilsons drop free from more frames. I have noticed 47Ds exhibit considerable drag when muddy, while Powermags seem to operate normally. I have noticed my 47Ds sometimes no longer accept the eighth round (also occurs in my Powermags, but not as frequently).

Good call. Bundled mags merely add to the cost of the gun, and may not be what the owner prefers. For example, my Nighthawk and YoBo guns came with mags (ACT/Novaks if I recall correctly), which I promptly gave away. And don't even get me started on "custom" mags that are specifically tuned for reliable operation in a particular gun. :rolleyes: Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a high-profile SWAT mag review of a custom gun, one of the custom mags didn't work and had to be removed. If custom mags don't help, or a gun needs custom mags, what's the point?

Actually, on second thought, I just realized that I neglected to use the special mags that came with my Pro. Maybe that's why it won't run! :eek:

I would like to offer one mag with the gun (as I think that is the right thing to do), but don't think I will offer any more. If folks want to buy more from me they can.

"Fitted" mags is just about stupid as stupid gets IMHO.

C4

subzero
10-25-06, 16:13
Never let it be said that Vinh doesn't have a sense of humor!

GlockWRX
10-25-06, 16:23
I would like to offer one mag with the gun (as I think that is the right thing to do), but don't think I will over any more. If folks want to buy more from me they can.

"Fitted" mags is just about stupid as stupid gets IMHO.

C4

The mags that came with my Pro work just as well as the Wilson 47's do. I still don't like them though.

I think you are on the right track. If bundling $100 worth of mags is of no value to a large portion of your customers, then it makes no sense to do it. One or possibly two mags, of decent quality (like a 47D or Powermag) would enable someone to shoot it, and then decide on what mags they want to buy in bulk.

That being said, I would not use an el-cheapo mag like what you get with a base Kimber or SA. That just screams penny pinching. A Wilson or Powermag is not a whole lot more money, and it's something most people recognize as a good magazine.

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 16:27
The mags that came with my Pro work just as well as the Wilson 47's do. I still don't like them though.

I think you are on the right track. If bundling $100 worth of mags is of no value to a large portion of your customers, then it makes no sense to do it. One or possibly two mags, of decent quality (like a 47D or Powermag) would enable someone to shoot it, and then decide on what mags they want to buy in bulk.

That being said, I would not use an el-cheapo mag like what you get with a base Kimber or SA. That just screams penny pinching. A Wilson or Powermag is not a whole lot more money, and it's something most people recognize as a good magazine.

I have ZERO problem spending money on quality mags to give with the 1911, but the issue is that no two people like the same thing. So I will probably just include a 47D with each 1911 and call it a day.

C4

SHIVAN
10-25-06, 16:30
Well I was thinking of offering at least 2-4 Wilson 47D mags.

Fair enough. I wouldn't ditch them, but some might.

GlockWRX
10-25-06, 16:38
I have ZERO problem spending money on quality mags to give with the 1911, but the issue is that no two people like the same thing. So I will probably just include a 47D with each 1911 and call it a day.

C4

I think that's the best move.

I don't think any two 1911 guys can agree on anything. Just ask about cocking serrations! :eek:

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 17:19
I think that's the best move.

I don't think any two 1911 guys can agree on anything. Just ask about cocking serrations! :eek:

Oh I know, they are like a bunch of little old women!

C4

DrMark
10-25-06, 17:26
I will probably just include a 47D with each 1911 and call it a day.

I assume there will be a function check before the guns go out. That function check mag should be the mag the ships with the gun, so that you have demonstrated evidence of a functioning gun/mag combo.

IMO.

Now about cocking serrations...

:)

C4IGrant
10-25-06, 17:48
I assume there will be a function check before the guns go out. That function check mag should be the mag the ships with the gun, so that you have demonstrated evidence of a functioning gun/mag combo.

IMO.

Now about cocking serrations...

:)

The weapon will be function checked for sure and also shot for groups.

C4

k9dpd
10-25-06, 19:05
I have used 47D's until late then I tried some ACT mags and they have been 100% in my Kimber so far, but like Cohiba said, they work for me in my gun. I look at mags as a disposable item, when it quits working I toss them and get more.

Aubrey
10-25-06, 20:59
I have no reason not to believe that W-R mags may be the most dimensionally consistent when new, but I also have no reason not to believe observations of issues with feed-lip spread over time. Fortunately this is something that can be monitored, and, even better, replacements are available under warranty.

In order to fit 8 rounds into a standard-length tube, the follower and spring designs are compromised. This is not to say that they won't work, but that there are tradeoffs. If you compare the follower/spring combinations from a W-R 47 (7-round) and a W-R 47D (8-round), you will observe that there are significant differences. The reduced number of spring coils would explain the reduced life reported by several. I converted all of my 47Ds to 7-rounders by installing Wilson 47 springs/followers. I believe the tubes to be the same except for the additional witness hole in the 47Ds.

I know how to change a mag, so I don't obsess about one round capacity difference any more. Besides, I find that the 7-rounders are easier to seat in a tac load context, which is insurance for keeping the magazine in the gun. Sort of like loading 28 rounds in your 30-round carbine mags, huh?

7-round, round-follower Metalform mags have a reputation for reliable feeding, but many have reported that they lose their bases at inopportune times and spill their guts.

The ACT/Novak mags appear to be a quality option, and I believe their tubes to be slightly extended (hidden by the polymer base), which allows more room for a proper spring and follower. Unfortunately, there have been reports of premature cracking (poor heat treat?). I have but one, with limited rounds through it, but it has worked fine thus far in my pistols.

I think that Virgil Trip has the right idea with his Cobramags, but unfortunately the QC on the tubes has reportedly been lacking.

nyeti
10-25-06, 22:21
I recently got back into 1911's with retirement looming. I had a gun built that I adore, it functions great with factory Colt mags. I went out and bought a whole bunch of both 8 and 10 round WC's and had a few issues that were mag related. I had problems in the past WC's before, but all the "in" 1911 guys raved about the 47d's. Oh well, I must be jinxed. I then bought a whole bunch of McCormick powermags in both 8 and 10 round and put the 7 and 9 round Tripp kits in them and they have been totally reliable. I am totally done goofing around with this.............7 rounds in the mag is just great for me, and I know it works.

As far as Grant's situation-send the gun with one mag, so the buyer can at least shoot it, and offer optional extras or let them get their own favorite recipe.

mayonaise
10-31-06, 21:57
I've run thousands and thousands of rounds through my 1911's. I've used Wilsons, CMC's and a few of the ACT's. Two series one Kimbers, one will only run Wilson mags, the other runs everything I've tried.

CMC's have have had a great tendency to have the feed lips spread. The Wilsons have stayed in spec for a long, long time. I tried some ACT mags and they worked fine the one Kimber but not the snobish one. They seem like well made mags. I don't care much for the base pads however.

As stated earlier magazines are somewhat disposable. That said they are one of the weakest links in the system and should be maintained regularly. I clean and replace internals based on usage. Keep a good eye on the feed lips and gauge them for spec.

For work/carry guns, I always felt it's best to have dedicated mags for those guns. I don't cross migrate them for use with other guns.

My $.02

Linea_de_Fuego
12-02-06, 19:51
I found it interesting that this 1911 smith advised that the Chip mags were crap as far as consistency goes.
I know Grant's mag thread may have run it's course, but I shot a match today with CMC 8 round power mags. I found that although they fed reliably 3 out of 5 would not drop free which was a major PITA. I came home and mic'ed them to see how they measured compared to CMC's and Shooting Stars that worked. The bullet axis measurement was consistant to within .003 for all of them, but the width was way different. The Shooting Star and CMC that dropped free measured .534 and .538, but the ones that didn't were
.545 - 543. I'll find out Monday if CMC can replace them with drop free. I have heard good things about their customer service. I'm not so sure about their QC.

davemcdonald
12-02-06, 20:50
I have both Shooting Star and Wilson 47D mags and like both brands. Neither have failed me. I think the thead over a 10-8 tested for strength not consistancy in specs. I agree that a fitted mag is silly and as such all mag wells have a little wiggle room. With this being said, I say go with your gut as you will never be able to please everyone.

Dave

C4IGrant
12-03-06, 13:41
I know Grant's mag thread may have run it's course, but I shot a match today with CMC 8 round power mags. I found that although they fed reliably 3 out of 5 would not drop free which was a major PITA. I came home and mic'ed them to see how they measured compared to CMC's and Shooting Stars that worked. The bullet axis measurement was consistant to within .003 for all of them, but the width was way different. The Shooting Star and CMC that dropped free measured .534 and .538, but the ones that didn't were
.545 - 543. I'll find out Monday if CMC can replace them with drop free. I have heard good things about their customer service. I'm not so sure about their QC.

:D

C4

Hobbes
12-03-06, 14:08
Grant,
Did you ever find out if your smith measured the Tripp mags? I'd be curious to find out how consistent those are...I have had very good luck with 2 of those in a picky Kimber ultra carry

C4IGrant
12-03-06, 14:16
Grant,
Did you ever find out if your smith measured the Tripp mags? I'd be curious to find out how consistent those are...I have had very good luck with 2 of those in a picky Kimber ultra carry

Not yet (sorry).

C4

BBossman
12-05-06, 13:02
My .02; I've been using the same 5 Wilson mags with my Series 1 Kimber for 5 years. It goes to the range 3-4 times a year, going thru about 1 hundred rounds a trip. The mags stay loaded in the safe between trips. When I go to the range, I just blow the dust off of them and fire away. The only change I've made to the mags was to switch to the steel base plates offered by Wilsons. I only made this change after one of the plastic bases gave up the ghost and spilled its guts on the floor. While hardly a torture test, they have been reliable in my application.

Razoreye
02-09-07, 21:23
Not yet (sorry).

C4
:bump:

madryan
02-09-07, 23:32
Lets see... In the 4 1911s I've owned (counting the one I still own) I've used these brands of mag...

Wilson
CMC
Metalform
and most recently ...
ACT Mag (The Novaks ones)

I was shooting most of my rounds through either my SA fullsize, or my Kimber Pro Carry (Series I) with quite a few through the SA compact V-10 (CMC mags exclusively)

Recently I've been abusing my 3 stainless ACT mags and must say I really like them. I have yet to have any sort of issue with them.

All that being said, I've thrown away every mag that came with my guns. I'm not a slave to any one brand, but I hate cheap mags.

So... Grant... If you're building custom guns for people why don't you have them specify what they want. Give them 2 or 3 options and let them choose.

TheDutchman
02-12-07, 08:00
I use the Mec Gar 8 round mags with great sucess. They look like the Novaks/ACT and have been around for sometime.

Obiwan
02-12-07, 11:13
I own...or have owned pistols from

STI (their mag catch actually raises the mag a bit higher than "normal")

SA

Colt

Kimber

S&W

all are/were full size except for the Colt (CCO)

All of them have functioned perfectly with CMC Powermags (both 8&10 rounders)

I also have some WC mags for my CCO that have worked well but I don't have nearly the round count through them

Dave L.
02-12-07, 23:05
I just posted this on 10-8

I'm not a fan of Tripp 10's

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=42252&an=0&page=0#42252

Bushytale
02-13-07, 02:13
The best info I can add to this thread is beware of mags with welded base plates. Most are held on with four small spot welds and due to QC issues are not always done properly. I have seen many of this style with the base blown off. Colt mags in the '70s and '80s were made with four 1/4 inch wide bar welds and are good to go. The later Colt mags come from different vendors and are the cheaper spot welded mags.

:) Billy

Lumpy196
02-17-07, 17:50
Discussing 1911 mags is like discussing religion. I don't believe anyone else's hype and use what works best for me and what I'm most comfortable with.

Which is exactly why I continue to read from the book of Wilson-Rogers, chapter 47, verse D, despite all the dire internet posting from experts.

Mine work, and they've worked for multiple thousands of rounds in all the various 1911s Ive owned. They get maintained, and when that doesnt work, they get TRASHED because Im not a cheap bastard that thinks my life can depend on the same six magazines for the duration.

Shihan
02-23-07, 21:27
Anyone know if the Novak-ACT stamped mags differ from the plain ACT mags?
The unstamped one are usually a couple of bucks cheaper.

Thanks

Shihan
02-23-07, 21:40
Grant I tried to set up a wholesale account with Tripp and they would only do it on coatings and said they give the same volume discounts on mags to everyone. I guess they dont like retailers selling their products? Seems pretty stupid to me!

Can anyone verify if the ACT mags are indeed longer like the Tripp mags?

Thanks

PLCedeno
12-08-07, 12:51
What about Wilson's new ETM mags?

C4IGrant
12-08-07, 15:00
What about Wilson's new ETM mags?

I am running these mags. Flawless is the word I would use to describe them. They have replaced my 47D's.

C4

Linea_de_Fuego
12-08-07, 16:12
Can anyone verify if the ACT mags are indeed longer like the Tripp mags?

Thanks

Yes, they are a little longer. Here is one next to a Chip McCormick Power Mag.

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9541/actmagnx4.jpg

OscarT
12-08-07, 18:26
Good Afternoon,

Not really what I wanted my first post to be but here it goes. I just purchased a WC 47D mag for my Colt XSE SS Commander and have a problem. When I place the mag in the magwell with the slide locked to the rear and attempt to release the slide it will not go. With the slide forward the mag will "snap" in to place. Is this type of action normal? Should I return the mag? Thank you in advance for your responses/knowledge.

-O

fivepointoh
12-08-07, 18:37
Bob Miller (Miller Custom) turned me onto Metalform mags. W/ that said I have read on M1911 and 1911Forum that the QC of metalform is slipping.

W/ that also said my Springer factory mags work 100% but then again they're running in a Springer pistol.

I've heard various reports about CMC mags and would probably only use those for range duty.

W/ all that said I'm new to the 1911 world and trying to get my hands on some Wilson's.

SuicideHz
12-08-07, 18:54
I can see that 30-50 mags being all exactly the same could be a selling point but what if they can be a few thousandths different from one another and still function 100%?

Wouldn't it make sense to spend $2 a mag less for mags that still function 100%?

fivepointoh
12-08-07, 18:57
1911 PMAGS??? :p

12-08-07, 22:25
Grant I tried to set up a wholesale account with Tripp and they would only do it on coatings and said they give the same volume discounts on mags to everyone. I guess they dont like retailers selling their products? Seems pretty stupid to me!

Thanks

There are a several company's with that attitude....LaRue, Bravo Co etc..

I frequent a store that stocks a lot of the top of the line stuff and companys with that attitude are missing sales as the retailers won't sell them if they can't make a buck or two.

Bushytale
12-09-07, 00:57
OscarT, Some mags with strong springs will make it difficult to release the slide stop on an empty mag. The slide stop pushes the front of the follower down causing it to jam into the mag body. It should work fine when loaded with rounds. CMC mags also will sometimes act funny when put in the gun empty, but run great loaded. The slide on a 1911 should not be slammed shut on an empty chamber anyway.

Billy

Buck
12-09-07, 01:41
Which is exactly why I continue to read from the book of Wilson-Rogers, chapter 47, verse D, despite all the dire internet posting from experts.

I am also a member of the church of the 47D...

OscarT
12-09-07, 06:36
Thank you for the information. I am fairly new to the .45 ACP as I only have 100 rounds through the weapon with the factory mags. Take care

-O :)

toddackerman
12-09-07, 07:46
Tripp mags are nice, but think they might be over priced. I will see if they will work with me on pricing and go from there.

C4

Grant,

While you're at it, talk to Virgil Tripp about your quality concerns. He is very knowledgeable and always willing to talk about Mags in great detail. His and others. I kind of like the idea that they do nothing but magazines, and are continuously improving their products in a serious way.

FWFW...I have used Wilson 7 round mags since they were invented, but am switching to the Tripp 7 round follower because I believe the notch where the followers engages the slided stop should be metal, and not polymer. I feel the Wilson Mag tube design is properly engineered, and I have had no feed lip spread in any of them.

Tripp also designs the feed lips to position the top round higher in the mag, but that does require modification of the extended ejector to keep the top round from hitting the bottom of the ejector. After testing Wilson Mags for this concern, I have found that they also need this modification on MOST of them as well. (This is a little concerning because some Wilson's fit higher into the Mag well than others, and this can only be caused by the Mag Release notch not being uniformly cut from one Mag to the other.) I would think the Tripp design might require too much of the ejector to be removed and hence weakening.

Anoher thought...I haven't experienced the Feed Lip spread issues that many discuss with the Wilson 47D 8 Round Mags. I just realized a posible, logical answer for this...I run the 7 round Mags. and there is less upward pressure on the feed lips regardless of the spring or follower used. This is "Unscientifically" confirmed by the amount of pressure needed to load the 8th round in a Wilson 47D. Just a thought.?

When I get around to it, I want to test the new 8 round Cobra Mag.

the1911fan
12-09-07, 08:37
Metalform Elite 7 or 8 round
W-R 47D 7 or 8 round

No 10 round mags

KevinB
12-09-07, 09:08
I got 5 Wilson Elite mags off Grant to replace the HORRIBLE Nighthawk ATC mags I used at the Low Light class.

I've had troubles with recent production Wilson 47D mag springs - to the point I replaced them all in my guns (I had a batch of 5 mags all go bad sprung in less than a month).

While I only have a few hundred rounds out of the Elites so far I am impressed, for 10rders I got out of Wilson all together due to issues with both the mag body bulging and the shitty springs, and went to the CMC's since BigRed and others have been having good luck with with them in Iraq and ErikL and some others have had good luck with them CONUS.

toddackerman
12-09-07, 11:17
FWIW...From the 10-8 forum....

Hilton Yam and Tim Lau advocate that a Mag's inside feed lips dimension from side to side should be .375" and parallel from the front of the lips to the rear. They also state that when a Mag's lips reach a point of "Spread" where the lips are .390" wide, it's time to expect issues. Also, if a Mag has gone from reliably ejecting from the Mag well to "Sticking...it's time to get rid of it. Wilson's feed lip spec. is .380" to .390".

Out of curiosity, I measured 4 of my Wilson 7 round Mags, that are always loaded, and have been for several (>5 years) years. The results...

All 4 Mags inside lip spread measured between .368" to .373" (actually under the minimum spec. which resulted in a call to Wilson and replacements with the Elite Mags. at their cost :) , and all lips were parallel. Needless to say they all continue to drop clear. An important note...these Mags don't get used. They are only for SHTF after I deemed them reliable, and I replace the springs every year around this time. My point is that maybe the constant spreading of the lips as they feed causes the lips to spread more than storing the Mags. loaded which Hilton advises against. I'm fairly certain that the 8 round Mags spread more quickly (7 of my 11 mags did). I had some 47D's that had spread to .409".

I bring this up because many have had Wilson lips spread, and I wanted to add some science to the discussion..

bullitt5172
12-09-07, 17:25
FWIW...From the 10-8 forum....

Hilton Yam and Tim Lau advocate that a Mag's inside feed lips dimension from side to side should be .375" and parallel fom the front of the lips to the rear. Thay also state that when a Mag's lips reach a point of "Spread" where the lips are .390" wide, it's time to expect issues. Also, if a Mag has gone from reliably ejecting from the Mag well to "Sticiking...it's time to get rid of it.

Out of curiosity, I measured 4 of my Wilson 7 round Mags, that are always loaded, and have been for sevral (>5 years) years. The results...

All 4 Mags inside lip spread measured between .348" to .373", and all lips were parallell. Needless to say they all continue to drop clear. An important note...these Mags don't get used. They are only for SHTF after I deemed them reliaable, and I replace the springs every year around this time. My point is that maybe the constatnt spreading of the lips as they feed causes the lips to spread more than storing the Mags. loaded which Hilton advises against.

I bring this up because many have had Wilson lips spread, and I wanted to add some science to the discussion..

I've bought used Wilson mags that had spread feed lips. Wilson replaced without question. I've never had a new Wilson mag that I have purchased go bad. I run Wilson 47D mags exclusively without issue in my Wilson CQB as well as all my other 1911's.

toddackerman
12-13-07, 16:23

C4

$2.00 cheaper than the new WC "Elite" mags.

toddackerman
12-13-07, 16:33

C4

Just a suggestion...if you want to help grow your 1911 business, make sure you send a Mag that YOU KNOW will run in THAT gun as evidenced when you do the test firing. 50 rounds of a high quality round (I suggest Ball) should tell you if you have a Mag related functioning issue. (I don't even want to get into Hollow Points and their various problems) Then indicate to the buyer that the pistol has been test fired with no issues using that brand of Mag. and ammo so they have a starting point. You may find you should have a quantity of WC, Tripp, Chip mags in stock for when you sell a new pistol and it gets test fired.

I think it's crazy for a Gun Smith/ Dealer to include an accessory that is not know to be be reliable in THAT GUN. My Gunsmith actually never sold any Mags with his guns, and world champs used his pistols. (Ross Seyfried used Don Fisher pistols in 1982.)

toddackerman
12-13-07, 16:36
I think that Virgil Trip has the right idea with his Cobramags, but unfortunately the QC on the tubes has reportedly been lacking.

Virgil says this has been rectified with the GenII Cobra.

Hersh
12-13-07, 16:54
To add to the pot, the best results I've had thus far are with some Colt mags that were actually made by Checkmate. None of them have cause any feeding problems, they all drop free and appear to be well made.

Talking about inconsistency, some Metalforms I bought a couple years ago had feedlips that were so out of spec you couldn't hardly get rounds into them.

C4IGrant
12-13-07, 17:02
$2.00 cheaper than the new WC "Elite" mags.

This depends on where you buy the WC Elite Mags. ;)

C4

C4IGrant
12-13-07, 17:03
Just a suggestion...if you want to help grow your 1911 business, make sure you send a Mag that YOU KNOW will run in THAT gun as evidenced when you do the test firing. 50 rounds of a high quality round (I suggest Ball) should tell you if you have a Mag related functioning issue. (I don't even want to get into Hollow Points and their various problems) Then indicate to the buyer that the pistol has been test fired with no issues using that brand of Mag. and ammo so they have a starting point. You may find you should have a quantity of WC, Tripp, Chip mags in stock for when you sell a new pistol and it gets test fired.

I think it's crazy for a Gun Smith/ Dealer to include an accessory that is not know to be be reliable in THAT GUN. My Gunsmith actually never sold any Mags with his guns, and world champs used his pistols. (Ross Seyfried used Don Fisher pistols in 1982.)

Already include a mag with our 1911's.

C4

toddackerman
12-13-07, 17:12
Already include a mag with our 1911's.

C4

Well then...if the gun runs with the "Test Fire" mag, you're decision is made for you isn't it?

VA_Dinger
12-13-07, 19:21
I got 5 Wilson Elite mags off Grant to replace the HORRIBLE Nighthawk ATC mags I used at the Low Light class.

I will have to agree with Kevin 100% on the Nighthawk ACT mags, to say they suck would be an understatement. They do have one plus for range use though - you will be getting plenty of 1911 malfunction practice.

I try not to make any bold negative statements about products but I will make an exception in this case. These mags, at least my four have earned it.

Federale
12-13-07, 21:16
I've cycled a lot of magazines through several 1911s. I have several dozen magazines, everything from CMCs, to Wilson 47Ds, to ACTs from Nighthawk and Novak, to Tripp, to the metalform mags that came with my Professional. I have both 7 and 8 rounders. The Wilsons and CMCs have had their innards switched for Tripps springs and followers.

My conclusion? They are run reliably. I think there's a pretty good reason why each brand has their fans. They're all a pretty good product. Certain pistols will run better with certain magazines and I think its up to the user to find the magazine that works well with the pistol.

The only issue that I've run across with my 1911 mags is with the 47Ds. I had several that simply decided to stop dropping free. They feed fine, but they don't drop free any more.

toddackerman
12-13-07, 21:28
I've cycled a lot of magazines through several 1911s. I have several dozen magazines, everything from CMCs, to Wilson 47Ds, to ACTs from Nighthawk and Novak, to Tripp, to the metalform mags that came with my Professional. I have both 7 and 8 rounders. The Wilsons and CMCs have had their innards switched for Tripps springs and followers.

My conclusion? They are run reliably. I think there's a pretty good reason why each brand has their fans. They're all a pretty good product. Certain pistols will run better with certain magazines and I think its up to the user to find the magazine that works well with the pistol.

The only issue that I've run across with my 1911 mags is with the 47Ds. I had several that simply decided to stop dropping free. They feed fine, but they don't drop free any more.

Measure the feed inside lip width, and the Mag Body and let us know what you find. Where is the rubbing occuring?

Again...8 rounders continue to show excessive signs of spread and/ or cracking. Sounds like a lot of Chip 8 round Power Mag users have experienced the same "sticking" issues.

Federale
12-13-07, 21:38
Measure the feed inside lip width, and the Mag Body and let us know what you find. Where is the rubbing occuring?

Again...8 rounders continue to show excessive signs of spread and/ or cracking. Sounds like a lot of Chip 8 round Power Mag users have experienced the same "sticking" issues.

I'll see if I can't dig them up. They were 8 rounders.

They drop about a half inch then stick and have to be pulled out. My feeling is that the mag body bulged. As my 1911s are not my duty pistols, I don't generally leave the mags loaded. At least not for long periods of time. I haven't run into this problem with my CMCs yet.

The pistols are a full sized Nighthawk, a Colt Commander, a Springfield Professional and a Kimber TLE. If I recall correctly, the only one that they still drop free from is the Kimber, but you know how Kimber pistols stick to the specs, right. ;)

toddackerman
12-13-07, 21:55
I'll see if I can't dig them up. They were 8 rounders.

They drop about a half inch then stick and have to be pulled out. My feeling is that the mag body bulged. As my 1911s are not my duty pistols, I don't generally leave the mags loaded. At least not for long periods of time. I haven't run into this problem with my CMCs yet.

The pistols are a full sized Nighthawk, a Colt Commander, a Springfield Professional and a Kimber TLE. If I recall correctly, the only one that they still drop free from is the Kimber, but you know how Kimber pistols stick to the specs, right. ;)

Not seeing them, I am only guessing, but if you look at the sides of the Mag near the top, you might see some wear marks on the "Flats" just ahead of the feed lips. This is a common area of "Sticking" when the lips start to spread because these surfaces are actually above the frame when they are fully inserted. After you hit the Mag release, they have to then clear the frame on the way out.

The thing you want to look for of course are "parallel dimensions". Front to back and top to bottom. No "High Spots" when you put the caliper to them. I actually haven't experienced any "Body" bulging in all of my years with any Wilson Mags...only Feed Lip spread.

The curious thing is that you don;t keep them loaded. Hmmmm......

Federale
12-13-07, 22:06
Not seeing them, I am only guessing, but if you look at the sides of the Mag near the top, you might see some wear marks on the "Flats" just ahead of the feed lips. This is a common area of "Sticking" when the lips start to spread because these surfaces are actually above the frame when they are fully inserted. After you hit the Mag release, they have to then clear the frame on the way out.

The thing you want to look for of course are "parallel dimensions". Front to back and top to bottom. No "High Spots" when you put the caliper to them. I actually haven't experienced any "Body" bulging in all of my years with any Wilson Mags...only Feed Lip spread.

The curious thing is that you don;t keep them loaded. Hmmmm......

The other curious thing is that 6 or 8 of them all went at once.

I'm see if I can't locate them and measure them. Stay tuned.

Linea_de_Fuego
12-13-07, 22:16
To add to the pot, the best results I've had thus far are with some Colt mags that were actually made by Checkmate. None of them have cause any feeding problems, they all drop free and appear to be well made.

Talking about inconsistency, some Metalforms I bought a couple years ago had feedlips that were so out of spec you couldn't hardly get rounds into them.

The Checkmate mags that I have are the hybrid style feed lips. They work very well. Here is an image taken from another site that shows the tapered feed lips compared to the parallel lips (middle) like the CMC and many others.
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/7214/lips1ld3.jpg

HighSpeedDreams
12-13-07, 23:59
Just my 2 cents. I am crazy about Kimber Kim-Pro Tac Mags. They get run through a SA TRP Operator and I have never had a single complaint about them (other than price).

Check them out if you haven't.
HSD

PLCedeno
12-18-07, 20:45
Are the ones sold by Nighthawk the same ACT mags that have the Novak name on them?

bullitt5172
12-18-07, 21:32
Are the ones sold by Nighthawk the same ACT mags that have the Novak name on them?

Yes, they are.

eng208
12-20-07, 14:28
I had CMC mags, 8 and 10 rounders that consistently lost control of the last round resulting in type III failures. I took the advise of some folks on here and the 1911 forums and bought the Tripp upgrade kits. Very good quality and work great. Now I have SS tubes that seem to be made pretty good, with a very good design follower and one of the best springs on the market.

toddackerman
12-26-07, 09:12
Just received some ETM's from Wilson, and I'm very impressed. The workmanship is top shelf, and the followers action is very smooth. You can tell they upgraded the springs as they are at least 50% stronger than before.

Now I need to get out of the 8" of snow we got on Christmas and test them. I'm considering the Tripp followers, but because they will be used for carry only (after full reliability testing), I don't think that the follower will ever wear out wear it contacts the slide stop. The Tripp follower is also a little longer, and even though the ETM Mag has a longer body to accommodate the 8th round, it is pretty full with the Tripp follower installed, meaning that the top round is pretty tight when loading it (with the Tripp followers), and I know that this can lead to poor functioning. I'll test the Mags with both followers and see what happens.

I have a tripp Gen II Cobra Mag coming from Virgil Tripp to test. It will be nice to compare it to the ETM side by side.

RichM
01-04-08, 21:20
1911 PMAGS??? :p

I'd be happy with some .200 inch tall Lumpy Plates for 1911 mags.

And maybe some anti-tilt followers from Magpul to boot.

Hint... Hint...

David Thomas
01-05-08, 11:35
The 8 new elite wilson mags I have work great. They seem to be more durable than the old 47D style when dropped.

I think the Tripp follower is a better design, but other than that the Tripp and Elite Wilson seem to be the cream of the crop.

toddackerman
01-05-08, 14:26
The 8 new elite wilson mags I have work great. They seem to be more durable than the old 47D style when dropped.

I think the Tripp follower is a better design, but other than that the Tripp and Elite Wilson seem to be the cream of the crop.

Clearly the Wilson ETM tube is exceptional, and a lot of redesign went into it to make it more "Substantial" which should lead to less Lip Spread. Looking forward to comparing it to the Tripp GenII Cobra.

The Tripp Super 7 follower, and Spring are definitely more "Robust" than the Wilson and shouldn't wear at the slide lock lobe section due to the steel insert on the Tripp follower (Note that the biggest concern that I have seen here and on 10-8 is with regards to the Wilson follower wearing out at the Slide Lock lobe area.), and the Tripp springs I would think should last much longer than the Wilson's. FWIW...the Wilson Springs are .045" thick, and the Tripp Springs are .050" thick.

Now if we can just find a way to get 8 into the Wilson Tube with the Tripp follower and spring, and get it to seat on a dropped slide, we'll be close to what I would consider to be "Utopia". I really thought that when Wilson made their ETM tube longer that the Tripp follower would allow 8 rounds, and the ability to seat a fully loaded Mag on a closed slide. Not so.

As I mentioned earlier, Virgil Tripp is sending me a 13 coil spring (versus the 14 coil spring in the Super 7 kit) to see if that allows 8 in the Wilson tube engaging the Mag Catch on a dropped slide. Right now it's about 3/16" too long. If not, we may start to reduce the legs on the Tripp followers a little at a time because they are almost a 1/4 inch longer than the Wilson follower in the front and rear. Without question, I think it's in Virgil's best business interest to find an 8 round follower and spring solution for the ETM. Wilson has already sold 5,000 of the ETM's since September. That's a lot of spring and follower upgrades in the future, and I do believe the Tripp follower and springs are superior.

If the Tripp tube is as good as the Wilson tube, I probably won't bother other than to see if the Modification is worthy of passing on to others who prefer the Wilson tube.

Here's another little trinket that I saw somewhere once, but haven't seen it again. With regards to the little numbers from 1 - 10 on the Wilson Base pads, those are there as you all probably figured out to label your Mags. But just how would you use them?

I took some white "Testers" model paint, and a toothpick, and dabbed a little paint on the number that I wanted to highlight. Let it sit for about 15 seconds and take your thumb and wipe off the excess. You can do this more than once, because somehow the paint stays in the grooves of the number you're working with. This works great, and looks very professional compared to other methods I have used in the last 30 years. If you need to clean it up a little, just use a dab of Mineral Spirits on a piece of paper towel and all of the excess will disappear.

Still in a quandary about the most recent ETM "Premature Slide Lock with the last round still in the Mag" failure posted elsewhere on this and the 10-8 site.

Gunzilla
03-03-13, 11:12
I had CMC mags, 8 and 10 rounders that consistently lost control of the last round resulting in type III failures. I took the advise of some folks on here and the 1911 forums and bought the Tripp upgrade kits. Very good quality and work great. Now I have SS tubes that seem to be made pretty good, with a very good design follower and one of the best springs on the market.

I too am sold on the Tripp Upgrade kits and their followers, even bought a couple of their complete magazines.....great quality. Have yet to have any FTFs in any of my 'upgraded' mags, my McCormick mags or the mags that came with my Dan Wesson Valor (which I think are Checkmate mags).

Best advise I could give is to try a number of quality brands and pick what works best in your 1911....and keep in mind that the lower quality 1911s will need the higher quality magazines to increase the reliability because they usually come with throw-away magazines.

samuse
03-03-13, 17:23
Well, almost 6 1/2 years after the thread was started.

People still screwing around with 1911s...

airman
05-16-13, 08:56
Grant, I have a para ordnance ccw lda that came new with 2 7rnd mags and I had several jams with the stock mags. I was given a Wilson combat mag and never had another problem with jams. I purchased 3 more wc 7rnd mags and for the past 7 years I have kept all 4 mags fully loaded and have had no problems with any of them. As a matter of fact the springs on all 4 mags are still so tight after the last round when the slide locks back the only way to release the slide is to eject the mag first. Imo Wilson makes the best 1911 mags on the market, though I may be biased as I was born and raised and still live in Arkansas.

Army Chief
05-16-13, 09:40
Epic necropost.

Interesting, though, that in the nearly seven years since this thread was first created, the most straightforward answer to the question remains Wilson Combat mags, whether you are still clinging to the 47D (as I am), or are more heavily invested in the newer ETMs. There are now some worthy alternatives, but nothing that I would consider to be be clearly superior to the Wilson product. They remain the benchmark for any 1911 pattern pistol.

AC

Magic_Salad0892
05-16-13, 09:46
Epic necropost.

Interesting, though, that in the nearly seven years since this thread was first created, the most straightforward answer to the question remains Wilson Combat mags, whether you are still clinging to the 47D (as I am), or are more heavily invested in the newer ETMs. There are now some worthy alternatives, but nothing that I would consider to be be clearly superior to the Wilson product. They remain the benchmark for any 1911 pattern pistol.

AC

What's the difference between Wilson's 47Ds, and ETMs?

Army Chief
05-16-13, 10:01
What's the difference between Wilson's 47Ds, and ETMs?

Most significantly, the ETM has about 1/8" of additional body length, which makes it easier to lock into the gun at full capacity. Some guns balk at this with the older 8-round 47s. Because of the way in which the new baseplates are designed, the added length is not at all noticeable unless you happen to use low profile baseplates on the 47D ... which I do.

The ETM is the better magazine, and it incorporates pretty much every lesson that Bill Wilson has learned over the years about building a best-in-class 1911 magazine; that said, the 47 already delivers flawless performance for most, so there is really no losing proposition here.

AC

Magic_Salad0892
05-16-13, 10:09
Most significantly, the ETM has about 1/8" of additional body length, which makes it easier to lock into the gun at full capacity. Some guns balk at this with the older 8-round 47s. Because of the way in which the new baseplates are designed, the added length is not at all noticeable unless you happen to use low profile baseplates on the 47D ... which I do.

The ETM is the better magazine, and it incorporates pretty much every lesson that Bill Wilson has learned over the years about building a best-in-class 1911 magazine; that said, the 47 already delivers flawless performance for most, so there is really no losing proposition here.

AC

My only gripe about the Wilson 47D mags, is that you partially lose controlled feed with it. Though I suspect that this is the exact reason that 47 series mags tend to work in 1911s with out of spec frames.

Also, nylon follower. I still don't understand why. It's not bad, but can wear out over time from the slide lock tab.

Other than that, they're perfect. And on my brother's 1911, the gun would even cycle upside down. (Tested safely.)

JWS3
05-17-13, 14:01
Call me thrifty but, I've never had any problems with the issue GI 7-rounders.

Army Chief
05-17-13, 15:34
Call me thrifty but, I've never had any problems with the issue GI 7-rounders.

Not a matter of thrift per se, but the long-term issue with any "flush fit" 1911 magazine -- and most especially those which can take 8 rounds -- is that the floorplate tack welds can (and do) let go. That's the reason for longer mags and extended/wraparound floorplates.

AC

David Thomas
05-17-13, 15:55
Epic necropost.

AC

I have for the most part come back around to the 47ds for carry and competition.

Amp Mangum
05-17-13, 16:02
I like the ETMs and prefer them over the 47Ds but I change out the basepads for the steel ones as the stock plastic basepad digs into my side when carrying concealed.

Grand58742
05-17-13, 16:04
I'm actually having pretty good luck with the Mec Gar removable butt plate 8 rounders. So far no trouble whatsoever and have worked across the spectrum of my 1911s even with the somewhat picky Sig. Haven't tried the 47Ds though and probably need to.

JonInWA
05-17-13, 17:15
I prefer Check-Mate hybrid feed lip models, both extended tube and welded baseplate, both 7 and 8 round versions. The CerTac extended tube magazines from Cerebrus/P3LLC are also excellent. FWIW, Check-Mate has a lifetime warranty for their magazines.

Nighthawk Custom has used magazines from a variety of vendors over time. The options vary depending upon the caliber concerned and the capacity concerned. The 8 round blued ones with their logo are the ones that they've offered for the longest amount of time are made by ACT; I'm not a big fan of ACTs, due to multiple rear feed-lip cracks in the ones that came with my SIG GSR, and several subsequent ones from SIG-SIG had numerous complaints, as did others, so SIG switched to Check-Mate as their OEM 1911 magazine provider.

The least expensive OEM magazine option that Nighthawk offers is the ACT ones; they have a more expensive stainless steel magazine which is a far better option in my opinion-they're the ones I specified in my Nighthawk custom build.

Best, Jon

Jason Burton
05-17-13, 19:37
My only gripe about the Wilson 47D mags, is that you partially lose controlled feed with it...

Where does this information come from?

JSGlock34
05-17-13, 22:42
Not sure if this has anything to do with Magic_Salad's comment, but that's not the first time I've read that the Wilson 47D design 'short circuited' the controlled feed. The article I recall making this statement was this one here (http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/feeding-time.html).

I certainly have no expertise on the topic or opinion on the matter and would welcome hearing Mr. Burton's thoughts on 1911 magazines.

Magic_Salad0892
05-17-13, 23:22

My own personal observation. It puts the rounds at almost a directly forward angle torwards the chamber. I think this is why frames with incorrect feed ramp geometry function better with Wilson magazines.

It also helps with hollow points because they don't go at a steep upward angle like they would with a magazines that would sit lower. Which would drive them "face" first into the top of the chamber and cause a malfunction.

But I'd have to test with more types of hollow points to confirm that. I try to use hollow points that have a similar geometry to FMJ rounds. (For my 1911 at least.)

I also remember reading a dude's forum post on it, and it showed pictures. (Would've been useful if I'd found it sooner actually.)

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Army Chief
05-18-13, 07:39
My own personal observation ...
I also remember reading a dude's forum post on it ...

I suppose there may be something to this, if you're running a high speed camera on a particular gun with a particular load at a particular time, but honestly, this sounds a bit too much like "something seen on the Internet" to be taken too seriously. I don't say this as an affront to you, MS, but the evidence is beyond anecdotal that Wilson magazines work well -- and consistently -- in a variety of 1911s, and controlled feed or no, the fact remains that a 47D or ETM will fix far far more problems than it will ever induce.

I'm not saying that it is the only option, or a completely flawless product, but it is hard to argue with what works, and there are tens of thousands of these things out there feeding 1911s with total reliability. There may be a controlled feed issue in play here theoretically, but it certainly hasn't translated into much to be concerned about in real life.

AC

samuse
05-18-13, 07:49
I've heard that the Wilsons don't have controlled feed too, but who cares if they work?

I tried shooting my 1911s upside-down and sideways and never had a FTFeed with Wilsons.

My favorites are the 7 round 47s with the low-pro base.

I had a bunch of the Checkmate 7 and 8 round hybrids and tapered lip mil-spec mags and I never didn't have a malfunction with any of their mags.

I also like Chip McCormick Powermags.

Magic_Salad0892
05-18-13, 23:37
I suppose there may be something to this, if you're running a high speed camera on a particular gun with a particular load at a particular time, but honestly, this sounds a bit too much like "something seen on the Internet" to be taken too seriously. I don't say this as an affront to you, MS, but the evidence is beyond anecdotal that Wilson magazines work well -- and consistently -- in a variety of 1911s, and controlled feed or no, the fact remains that a 47D or ETM will fix far far more problems than it will ever induce.

I'm not saying that it is the only option, or a completely flawless product, but it is hard to argue with what works, and there are tens of thousands of these things out there feeding 1911s with total reliability. There may be a controlled feed issue in play here theoretically, but it certainly hasn't translated into much to be concerned about in real life.

AC

I agree partly, but I do believe that the way the Wilson mags feed are the entire reason it feeds well in many 1911s.

I don't really feel like it's a bad thing actually. I mean, it makes me a little uncomfortable. But I shoot Glocks. Which have an uncontrolled feed.

Next time you have a 1911 nearby (right now, I'm sure. Lol.) just lock the slide back with a round in the magazine, and look how high it sits with a Wilson mag.

For my gun, it touches the ramp, but not nearly as much as my Colt mags which sit way lower. The Wilson mags get the round in the chamber at a more linear angle.

I think it was a good design call.

dwhitehorne
05-19-13, 15:23

I think this is the article he is referring to. Interesting read if nothing else. David

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

samuse
05-20-13, 06:07
I think this is the article he is referring to. Interesting read if nothing else. David

http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

That article is what led me to the junky Checkmate magazines.

Hunter Rose
05-20-13, 10:32
That article is what led me to the junky Checkmate magazines.

Yep, not that article but I remember the arguments going back and forth over the interwebs a few years back. Tried a number of the hybrid Checkmate mags myself. My experience was the same as yours, intemittent malfunctions with the checkmates and no issues with the Wilsons or CMC Powermags in otherwise reliable Colts.

brickboy240
05-20-13, 10:53
I have a few Wilson 47Ds that are almost 10 years old and they still run great. Swapped a few mag springs but they function fine in my 2 Colts, the Springer and Kimber.

With that kind of track record....I have never seen a reason to try any other 1911 mag. I am from the school that believes that if it is running fine....you leave it alone.

-brickboy240

opngrnd
05-26-13, 13:04
My 47D's always worked great as long as I kept on top of the springs. Change them every five or six months if you're going to keep them constantly loaded, and you'll probably be good all the way until you get to where the feed lips spread.
I went to Tripp CobraMags(8 rounders) and have had great success with them. Keeping them loaded for over a year didn't bother the springs or the lips. I expect them to wear out one day and be replaced just like anything else. I eventually used Tripp guts in my 47D's, Kimber TacPros(or whatever they're called), and Act Mags, and reserve them or range use.
I'd have no reservations about 47D's as long as I could order new springs when they start to wear out, or replace them when they need replacing. Same with CobraMags.
Magazines are supposed to be replaced when they reach the end of their service life, you should see how many worthless M4 mags I had to throw to the side when I ran the ammo point recently. No one wants to throw them out, and people were wondering why they keep having malfuntions. They'd have multiple problems with the same mag, and turn it back in without saying anything. :/

ChrisCross
05-27-13, 13:08
I have an RIA Tactical and my dad has a couple of Colts and a Kimber as well).

Overall we've seen the following:

The mag that came with my RIA (think is was a Checkmate) caused all kinds of FTF, FTE etc issues. This wasn't helpful since it was my 1st handgun, but I finally got a couple of other mags and realized it was the OEM magazine causing all the problems (went Office Space printer scene on it and felt better).

Other then that we've both standardized on WC 47D's & CMC Powermags. I have only had 1-2 issues in over ~3.5K rounds between 6-8 mags (WC 47D's and CMC Powermags) in my RIA.

One of my Dad's Kimbers is damn picky and only runs WC 47D's perfectly (the CMC Powermags run pretty well but again why run anything that isn't 100%). Dad's Colt also is partial to WC's (0 issues in 5K+ but runs CMC Powermags with minimal issues (1-2 over 2K+ rounds) so that's basically irrelevant.

Going to probably slowly phase out the CMC Powermags just so everything is the same but either is GTG with us.

YMMV

BUOPtimus Prime
05-27-13, 17:22
I stick to CMC and Wilson mags. I tried the Tripp mags, but the added length only "looks good" on my pistols with SA mag wells. I'm not trying to bash them at all because they functioned perfectly fine, but along with the added price and my unappreciation for their compatibility, I stick to WC and CMC.

El Pistolero
05-27-13, 19:21
I don't have much to add, I have read about the controlled-feed issue and the early-release nature of the Wilson magazines but their reputation speaks for itself. I use 47Ds exclusively and have never had problems. I know the mag springs eventually get weak or whatever but their customer service gives me the confidence to know they will replace the mags if I have problems.