View Full Version : Help me decide: Kahles K16i 1-6 vs Swarovski Z8i 1-8?

MDX
11-24-17, 17:51
Looking to purchase my first (and prob last) high-end scope for my 16" AR which will be used for range and home-defense.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Kahles K16i 1-6 SM1 vs Swarovski Z8i 1-8 BRT. I've done as much internet research as I can, but no real experience behind either.

If both were similarly priced (Swarovski Z8i is Used though) which one would you choose for your one-and-only scope?

Thanks,
Mike

TomMcC
11-24-17, 19:54
The Kahles G4B would probably be more equivalent to the Swaro BRT. I do not own either, but have looked through both, they are very close in quality from everything I have read and talking to owners. But if it came down to it.....if both were sitting on a table and the powers that be said you can have but one...I would take the Swaro. It's a good chunk of money, in the end you probably couldn't go wrong with either, but an extra 2X would be nice for the long stuff.

Forgot to add. The Swaro would need to be in really nice shape, being used and all.

Biggy
11-24-17, 20:54
The Kahles is less money, about 1.5oz lighter, about 1.5 " inches shorter in length, and the FOV on 1x is 5.7 ft larger .

vicious_cb
11-24-17, 22:08
With SHOT a few months away, I would wait...

Tuukka
11-25-17, 05:33
Having used both extensively ( G4 B and BRT-I reticles )

For competition / general / hunting use I would go with the Swaro.

For harsh / LE etc. use I would go with the Kahles.

MeanCarbine
11-25-17, 19:00
Do the Swaros hold up well going in/out of 3-gun dump barrels?

bp7178
11-25-17, 19:57
I think waiting for SHOT isn't a good idea. Look how long it took the S&B 1-8 to come to market. All too frequently products are announced that don't see the market for a year or more. DBAL-A4 is another example.

I own a Z8i, but have no experience with the Kahles. That being said, the Z8i is an amazing scope, buy with confidence. If they were priced the same, I'd still choose the Z8i just looking at the features, especially comparing the reticles. The BRT-i really does everything well. A mil based reticle that isn't cluttered without being obtrusive with a nuclear bright dot. The illumination control really stands out on the Z8i as well. It feels like a well thought out implementation.

Biggy
11-25-17, 20:02
Here is a review of the K16i : http://www.westernshooter.com/2014/09/kahles-k16i-1-6x24-sm1-review.html

JoshNC
11-25-17, 21:56
A couple good threads discussing the Kahles.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?200660-Considering-S-amp-B-Short-Dot

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?199445-LPVO-for-Military-SOF

WS6
11-26-17, 16:48
I have a K16i, and it's one of the few tools I own that escapes the reaper when it comes time to sell things I don't use/could improve upon/don't really care a lot about/would rather turn into cash.

Biggy
11-26-17, 17:56
For *me* the 1x6x magnification and weight of the Kahles is the sweet spot for my 16 inch barreled 5.56 rifle and for the distance at which *I* will be using it most if not all of the time, 0-300 or 400 yds max. It seems that nowdays once scopes go to 8x in magnification, tube size goes up, which usually means it weight goes up, FOV at *both* ends usually are less , OAL is usually more and the scopes eyebox usually becomes smaller. I will take a scopes durability over its weight most of the time. IMHO, with the Kahles I have both durability and a reasonable weight.

MeanCarbine
12-18-17, 18:50
Regarding the Kahles, do you guys prefer the SM1 reticle over the GB4?