PDA

View Full Version : Selector material/hardness?

khc3
11-24-17, 19:43
Had to remove the selector to get the trigger out and noticed the detent holes/channel looked a little chewed up. The feel, when switching, seemed a little indistinct.

Not too worried about it, but it got me to wondering what material was called out in the TDP for the part. For that matter, what are the detents made out of? Looks like some kind of plated pot metal.

Did a quick google search and didn't find anything, so apologies in advance if this has been gone over before.

26 Inf
11-24-17, 22:07
I believe the .mil safeties are investment cast from 8620. A lot of the aftermarket 'custom' ones are machined.

I use KNS Precision stainless pins, all the other detent pins I have looked at say 'steel' if they list a material.

khc3
11-25-17, 23:55
Thanks for the info. A quick search shows investment cast 8620 being anywhere from 20-45 RC, and anither thread here someone said the detents are made from tool steel. Not sure I buy that, though.

LMT/556
11-28-17, 21:51
My LMT selectors tend to chew up the detent tips when new.

lysander
11-30-17, 17:10
Thanks for the info. A quick search shows investment cast 8620 being anywhere from 20-45 RC, and anither thread here someone said the detents are made from tool steel. Not sure I buy that, though.
They are usually carburized to a hardness more in the 50-55 RHc range, with a core hardness in the 35 RHc range.