PDA

View Full Version : Glock 41 HELP: Dropping Mags & Serious Malfs

Straight Shooter
11-25-17, 18:24
Finally had a long planned range session come to fruition yesterday. Took the Gen 4 G41 which was perfectly fine since purchased a couple years or so ago, and has had about 1300-1500 trouble free rounds put thru it. No probs last range session a few months back.
Today, first mag, while shooting the mag drops out of gun, along with a crushed brass jammed into chamber sideways. I thought, "Well, Ive hit the mag release somehow". NO. did it with every other mag I tried, and also had several very serious malfs that woulda left me DEAD in a gunfight.
I have shot Glocks for 13 years now. Had 3 at the range, have owned several, use them exclusively now for edc/shtf ect. I was NOT hitting the mag release.
Any ideas as to why suddenly this pistol would start doing this? Box stock except for sights & grip plug, same as all my other Glocks. Factory mags only. Full power JHP ammo.
The gun is 100% out-of-service untill fixed. Need help on this fellas, sure apppreciate your thoughts.

ghostly
11-25-17, 18:40
Can you pull a mag out of the gun after you’ve seated it without releasing the button? Can this be replicated with another shooter?

If these are “no”, then you are hitting the button and don’t realize it.

Are your other Glocks 9mm?

I’ve personally had similar issues with Glocks after having not shot them in awhile...slides locking open while still loaded and magazines dropping while shooting. Guess what? It was me...shooting Sigs, HKs, and 1911s caused my grip to change and cause issues with the Glock. Dry fire with the Glock and not shooting the other guns for a few range sessions and the problems went by the wayside without mechanical intervention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight Shooter
11-25-17, 18:52
Can you pull a mag out of the gun after you’ve seated it without releasing the button? Can this be replicated with another shooter?

If these are “no”, then you are hitting the button and don’t realize it.

Are your other Glocks 9mm?

I’ve personally had similar issues with Glocks after having not shot them in awhile...slides locking open while still loaded and magazines dropping while shooting. Guess what? It was me...shooting Sigs, HKs, and 1911s caused my grip to change and cause issues with the Glock. Dry fire with the Glock and not shooting the other guns for a few range sessions and the problems went by the wayside without mechanical intervention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bro- thank you for trying to help. but before I have to keep saying it AGAIN, no- Im NOT hitting the mag release, now lets not ask that again please. No, I cant pull a loaded mag out,, and nobody but me has shot the gun.

Colt guy
11-25-17, 19:11
Take a good look at the magazine release see if the area that locks into the magazine is worn or rounded at all. Also check the spring to be sure it is in place properly and rather stiff.

Straight Shooter
11-25-17, 19:13
Take a good look at the magazine release see if the area that locks into the magazine is worn or rounded at all. Also check the spring to be sure it is in place properly and rather stiff.

Done. All good, I see nor feel nothing out of place.

RadioActivity
11-27-17, 01:15
Mine did this. I sold the damn thing. It only would happen to me, and was particular to my aggressive grip. Other shooters had no issue. The meat of my palm below the thumb of my support hand would, I guess, contact the magazine release during recoil. I replaced it with an aftermarket release, but the issue persisted. About once every few mags. Sold the gun. I hope you have better luck.

hopetonbrown
11-27-17, 05:28
Shoot it strong hand only, report back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

tn1911
11-27-17, 08:24
Back in my law enforcement days I worked for a department near metro Atlanta when they transition from Smiths to Glock 22’s

During our qualifications we had a lot of guns that dropped mags when firing or chambering rounds. IIRC Glock ended up replacing the mag release/springs of the offending pistols and most of them began working.

CPM
11-27-17, 08:40
Replace both the spring and the release. Can be done with $30 and 5 minutes on youtube.

JasonB1
11-27-17, 09:20
Let someone else shoot it and see what happens.

Likely the catch or the spring are screwed up. Did it do it with all magazines or just certain ones? And there could be some remote chance something odd has happened with the frame.

If you get the same outcome with all mags and/or a different shooter the best bet would be to send everything back to Glock and hope you don't get the tech(s) that (allegedly) reviewed a friend's 26 that couldn't make it through a full magazine without malfunctioning (multiple magazines, several different brands/types of 9mm, & 3 different shooters) and sent it back claiming it was fine.

Straight Shooter
11-27-17, 11:21
Let someone else shoot it and see what happens.

Likely the catch or the spring are screwed up. Did it do it with all magazines or just certain ones? And there could be some remote chance something odd has happened with the frame.

If you get the same outcome with all mags and/or a different shooter the best bet would be to send everything back to Glock and hope you don't get the tech(s) that (allegedly) reviewed a friend's 26 that couldn't make it through a full magazine without malfunctioning (multiple magazines, several different brands/types of 9mm, & 3 different shooters) and sent it back claiming it was fine.

Appreciate the replies. Yes, it did it with several mags. I did not try strong arm shooting- i will check that next rage trip, and try to get others to induce the same problem.
I love the gun, dont want to sell it...but I damn sure will if I cant get it on par with my other Glocks. May go back to a G21, I dont know. Im def gonna replace the mag catch & spring, to see if it makes a difference. Keep the ideas/suggestions coming, and Ill report back my findings.
I just dont know why or how alla sudden this started happening.

CPM
11-27-17, 14:08
There shouldn’t be any more suggestions until you replace the mag catch and spring.

titsonritz
11-27-17, 14:22
There shouldn’t be any more suggestions until you replace the mag catch and spring.

Too bad, I've got one, sounds like a perfect opportunity to give this a shot.
https://tangodown.com/shop/vickers-tactical-gen-4-extended-mag-release-for-large-frame/

CPM
11-27-17, 15:07
Too bad, I've got one, sounds like a perfect opportunity to give this a shot.
https://tangodown.com/shop/vickers-tactical-gen-4-extended-mag-release-for-large-frame/

I'm just a big dumb guy, but I think that falls into replacing the mag catch category- as suggested.

Straight Shooter
11-27-17, 16:50

I tend to agree. QUESTION: Are there any "extra-power" mag release springs out there? Something to make the release button somewhat harder to push?
Also- on the underside of the mag release itself...is there, or isnt there, another hole or slot for the release spring to go into as an adjustment? Seems as though Ive read that at some point.
I cant see getting the larger Vickers release. IF...IF in fact I am hitting the button...I aint..that would seem to increase the problem.

CPM
11-27-17, 17:23
I highly doubt it.

flenna
11-27-17, 19:27
Appreciate the replies. Yes, it did it with several mags. I did not try strong arm shooting- i will check that next rage trip, and try to get others to induce the same problem.
I love the gun, dont want to sell it...but I damn sure will if I cant get it on par with my other Glocks. May go back to a G21, I dont know. Im def gonna replace the mag catch & spring, to see if it makes a difference. Keep the ideas/suggestions coming, and Ill report back my findings.
I just dont know why or how alla sudden this started happening.

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but have you let someone else shoot it? I remember years ago I was at an indoor range and the guy next to me had continuous malfunctions with his G17. He asked me to shoot it and I went through several magazines without a hitch. Just a thought.

flenna
11-27-17, 19:27
Duplicate....

JasonB1
11-28-17, 08:23
Looked up Glock frame cracking, and while not common, it apparently is possible for a grip plug to do just that. Might be worth looking in to the magazine well since in theory flex there from a crack could over ride an apparently ok magazine catch out of the clear blue.

And stopping and thinking about it a second, as long as the mag catch and mag catch slots in the magazine are sharp, there is a decent chance your firing hand grip will prevent the magazine catch from moving in the first place.

Straight Shooter
11-28-17, 09:46
Looked up Glock frame cracking, and while not common, it apparently is possible for a grip plug to do just that. Might be worth looking in to the magazine well since in theory flex there from a crack could over ride an apparently ok magazine catch out of the clear blue.

And stopping and thinking about it a second, as long as the mag catch and mag catch slots in the magazine are sharp, there is a decent chance your firing hand grip will prevent the magazine catch from moving in the first place.

That was an excellent suggestion- thank you. I looked at pistol under bright light, with a magnifying glass, no cracks. And I again checked my firing grip- as I agree with your last statement- still not touching mag release. Thanks again.

signal4l
11-28-17, 09:52
We had several departmentally owned Glock 21 s spontaneously ejecting their magazines. The mag catch springs were bent due to improper installation at the factory. As stated above you need to replace this part. Remove the old one. Put it on a flat surface and see if it rolls back and forth. You will quickly see if it has been bent.

Straight Shooter
11-28-17, 15:14
We had several departmentally owned Glock 21 s spontaneously ejecting their magazines. The mag catch springs were bent due to improper installation at the factory. As stated above you need to replace this part. Remove the old one. Put it on a flat surface and see if it rolls back and forth. You will quickly see if it has been bent.

Wow,,,thank you, Im gonna replace spring & catch soon, Ill check for that.