PDA

View Full Version : How often do you use the adjustment strap on your Vickers sling?

Yojimbo
10-25-06, 13:35
I'm thinking of getting a Vickers sling but I'm wondering if using a simple 2 point sling connected at the end plate and handguard, properly adjusted so that I can use it both strong and support side, is really all I need?

This way I don't need to mess with adjustments since it's already setup properly. My thinking is that the adjustment strap is really only needed if you are attaching one end of the sling to the stock instead of the lower receiver end plate. With the sling attached to the end plate the stock is more maneuverable so a little bit of slack goes a long way.

How often do you guys adjustment your Vickers slings while you are shooting? Do you see any scenarios where a sling adjusted as I mentioned would be at a disadvantage?

Alpha Sierra
10-25-06, 15:59
I use mine quite a bit. But then I see the sling as more than just a strap to hang the rifle with.

I like it fairly tight because I use the sling to steady the rifle both when shooting offhand and kneeling. The times I go prone, a quick tug back on the adjustment tab gives me enough slack to assume a rock solid prone very, very quickly.

When I stand back up again, a quick, short tug forward tightens the sling back up for more mobile shooting.

Same with transitions. A quick tug back slacks the sling to ease weak side transition. A quick tug fwd tightens it back up after switching back.

For my needs, it is the best sling available. I like it so much that I am planning on getting one for my M1. :D

Yojimbo
10-25-06, 17:03
Alpha Sierra,

Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, how do you have your Vickers sling attached to your gun?

Hawkeye
10-25-06, 17:10
In practice, I have been using it quite a bit. Mainly for weak side transitions. I am running it in a class this coming weekend, and I'll get a better idea on how well I like it/it works, at least for me.

Mine is mounted through one of the rear slots on my CTR stock, with the other end attached to a MI sling swivel which is in turn mounted towards the far end of my Larue 9.0 rail.

Alpha Sierra
10-25-06, 17:35
Alpha Sierra,

Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, how do you have your Vickers sling attached to your gun?
Welcome. I have a Midwest Industries QD sling plate for the buffer tube on order. I will move the rear attachment to there and see how it goes.
http://shutter13.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/02/006/63/F3/FC/68/qixd9m+Xq+oXf0i5p2go4j3DYKLKXdoC0300.jpg
http://shutter15.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/02/009/51/FF/03/17/7sqXzVkrMDibdfT1ubOJdegYog8C69hn0300.jpg
http://shutter15.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/04/001/7A/7E/AD/31/Uyc0dK+DibcQgBNXPI86d9yPuVO60PCN0300.jpg

SuicideHz
10-25-06, 18:38
Yojimbo-

I have a BFG sling I modified to be a 2-point. I removed it's 3-point capabilities.

I have a DD QR swivel mount just in front of my handguard nut and attach the other end to the rear of my CTR. I don't feel the need myself for a Vicker's sling although I've entertained the idea.

I think it's even more unnecessary when connecting the rear to the castle nut area like you are thinking of doing. The reason I'm connected at the rear of the stock is so that I can throw the rifle over my shoulder and the stock will stay tight against my upper back and is less likely to flop around at all. Food for thought.

Harv
10-25-06, 19:43
I have the Vickers sling and use the adjustment quite a bit. I like to open it up when going down in the prone and then tighten it back up for normal standing/Kneeling use. if I know I'm going hands free for awhile, I'll open it up about halfway and put my carbine behind me. Very slick

I mount mine as close to both sides of the receiver as possible. he front is QD swivel on the rear of my RAS with a DD QD rail mount and the back of the sling I have modified a hole in My SOPMOD stock closest to the receiver. I tried the back of the sling in the slot at the rear of the stock, but did not like it. Sometimes I like to Tuck the stuck under my Armpit during reloads, and the sling gets in the way.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/harv24/IMG_1179.jpg

eventually I will put a sling plate that takes a QD swivel on it and run that (I like the KAC model, but it's some serious Kachink)

mtdawg169
10-25-06, 19:58
I just bought a Vickers from Grant. It's my first sling and I've been wondering the same things. I Currently have it mounted w/ a QD swivel to my CTR and up front I have a MI swivel mount attached to a DD 9.0 rail. The sling seemed too long at first and hung low. I adjusted the slides on the back part of the sling to take up some length. Not really sure if that's how it's supposed to be run, but it is more comfortable for me right now.

I haven't quite figured out the best technique for transitions though. It may be easier with a buffer tube mount.

Alpha Sierra
10-27-06, 17:53
Y, I just got this MI sling plate. This is where the back end of the sling now hooks up. I placed the QD swivel on the center location, as there is where it felt the best. It certainly makes transitions to the off shoulder faster and easier.

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/mctar-30-hd.jpg

I'll have a report tomorrow afternoon.

bigbore
10-27-06, 18:39
I'm thinking of getting a Vickers sling but I'm wondering if using a simple 2 point sling connected at the end plate and handguard, properly adjusted so that I can use it both strong and support side, is really all I need?

Why not adjust your sling for your strong side - where most all of your shooting is done? For moving to your weak side, unclip the fastex and not worry about the sling at all. One hook, click, bang, done.

Akoni
10-28-06, 15:13
Why not adjust your sling for your strong side - where most all of your shooting is done? For moving to your weak side, unclip the fastex and not worry about the sling at all. One hook, click, bang, done.

But then what if you need to transition or go hands free?

bigbore
10-28-06, 15:32
But then what if you need to transition or go hands free?

It clips back together just as quick.

Alpha Sierra
10-28-06, 16:20
As Harv explained, the sling attached closer to the lower receiver/buffer tube junction is a winner configuration.

Transitions to prone were easier. COM shots at 50 yards from low ready to standing were just as fast as before (with the sling threaded through the horizontal slot in the stock). Kneeling was about the same. Transitions to weak side were a lot easier, though I still have to drop my left arm out of the sling.

I'm keeping it that way in the back. I doubt I will move the fwd attachment back towards the delta ring, though. I use the sling as a shooting support, particularly in kneeling and prone and I thread my hand between the sling and a handguard for support. Some techniques learned in the yellow glass range are good across the board..........

Yojimbo
10-28-06, 19:16
Thanks again to everyone for sharing your thoughts! It's given me some things to think about.

Assuming the sling will be mounted at the endplate and near the barrel nut, how are you guys using the Vickers sling for supporting off-hand shooting? Are you just cinching it tight or slipping your arm through it like using a hasty sling?