PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Worst Recurring Nightmare?

Doc Safari
11-27-17, 11:11
I'm talking while you're asleep here.

Do you have a traumatic dream that always makes you wake up in a cold sweat and takes you a minute to remind yourself it wasn't real?

I haven't had this dream in a while, but when I do it's a LuLu.

I'm in college, and either I've somehow neglected to attend a certain class on my schedule all semester and it's too late to drop (meaning I'll flunk it), or somehow a mishap occurs keeping me from taking or passing a final exam with no chance of making it up and therefore no chance of graduating.

I also have a nightmare where I'm all registered for classes and don't have the money to pay for them.

I always wake up in a panic, having to remind myself I've been out of college for thirty years.

I hate to characterize it as PTSD or equate it with some real-life trauma, but that dream always leaves me screwed up for several minutes after I wake up. And why do I keep having it thirty years after I closed my last college textbook?

What's your worst recurring nightmare?

soulezoo
11-27-17, 12:02
My ex-wife.

Seriously.

The_War_Wagon
11-27-17, 12:07
Used to be, being hit by lightning. In many and various ways, I used to have that nightmare in my early 20's. Only recurring nightmare I ever had, and haven't had it in over 20 years now.

26 Inf
11-27-17, 12:45
I generally don't remember my dreams. I say that because I know all folks dream, I just generally don't remember them.

The only nightmare that I can recall involved sliding/bouncing from roof to roof on a medieval castle like building. I don't remember hitting the ground.

This was long ago. Maybe it was a portent of things to come. Some years later I did slide down a roof, except that time I hit the ground,

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-27-17, 12:46
I'm in college, and either I've somehow neglected to attend a certain class on my schedule all semester and it's too late to drop (meaning I'll flunk it), or somehow a mishap occurs keeping me from taking or passing a final exam with no chance of making it up and therefore no chance of graduating.

.... and I can't remember where the class even is, and the ultimate version is I don't have pants on and only tighty whities. And it usually happens in the Spring when finals would be. Interestingly, I never got them for the Fall Semester in Winter, just for the Spring semester. Probably was 15 years before I didn't have that dream at least once in the Spring. Been years since I had that one.

elephant
11-27-17, 13:18
I don't have nightmares but I do have some themes in my dreams that are depressing.

1. guns are never loaded when I need them (very rarely do I dream about needing guns)

2. I can never hit someone with full force (very rarely do I dream about fighting)

3. Ive only been close to sex (never dreamed of actual sex)

4. doors are always closed and impossible to open

Watrdawg
11-27-17, 13:37
The worst dreams I have are either of two. One I have in various forms is being in an area walking from one place to another and all of a sudden everywhere I step more and more snakes start appearing. After a bit there is no place I can step without stepping on a snake. The other usually involves someone breaking into my house and every time I try to fire my weapon to stop them either I can't pull the trigger because its too hard or when I do the bullet flops out of the barrel about a foot or two past it. Then the invader jumps me.

Both of those are easily eclipsed by my flying dreams. In those dreams I can fly and soar like an Eagle. They are a blast to have!!

Averageman
11-27-17, 14:35
Only occured once. I woke up mentally but couldn't move or speak. The more I tried to move the more the panicked I became. I finally got it under control and relaxed and dozed off again. When I woke up I wa able to move and speak
That's about the worst feeling ever.

Watrdawg
11-27-17, 14:46
Only occured once. I woke up mentally but couldn't move or speak. The more I tried to move the more the panicked I became. I finally got it under control and relaxed and dozed off again. When I woke up I wa able to move and speak
That's about the worst feeling ever.

I forgot about that. I've done the same. I wake up in my dream and I'm paralyzed and can't move. It's like I'm awake but I can't move anything or speak at all. Some times after really straining I can force myself out of it. One time I ended up swinging my elbow really hard and broke out of it. Bad part was that while doing so in my dream I did so in reality and elbowed my wife right in the forehead. She screamed and scared the crap out of me. When we figured out what I did I started laughing and she punched me pretty hard in the shoulder. I was laughing so ahrd I didn't feel a thing.

BoringGuy45
11-27-17, 14:49
I get night terrors. Those are the worst, because I'm partially awake when they happen, so it looks and feels real. It feels like a malevolent presence is standing over me and I know that I am helpless to do anything except watch it kill me. Occasionally I see things during the terrors. I'll see a demonic looking man with red eyes standing at my bed side. One time I saw vampires crawling in my window. One time, I dreamed the Rapture was happening, I saw my wife getting taken up into heaven, and though I'm also a Christian, I knew that Christ had rejected me and I was about to be sent to hell. In every case, I always wake up screaming and flailing. I'll be in a daze, and I'll feel extremely angry at myself for having the night terror, and then I fall asleep. The only saving grace to all this is that they only last a few seconds.

The worst nightmare, actual longer dreams with a "storyline", I've had, involve me failing at something and thus shaming myself and my family, and usually my parents disown me and my wife leaves me. I always start crying in these dreams, and I can never get the words out that I need to say in my defense, and when I do, I'm told to shut up, because the world is sick of me and my bitching.

TMS951
11-27-17, 15:25
Not being able to get the gun safe open, spin dial, code keeps not working.

Trigger on pistol that is too heavy to pull.

Circle_10
11-27-17, 15:47
Up until I was maybe eight or nine years old I used to have a recurring dream of being in a cramped room with a very high ceiling, the walls were red and lumpy and resembled muscle tissue. At some point during the dream I would hear high pitched screaming coming from somewhere, it had a somewhat metallic quality to it. Toward the end of the dream a drain would appear in the floor and water would materialize and start draining out.
I used to wake up fairly shaken.
Interesting thing is that later in life my mother told me that when I was born, I had actually come out with my eyes open. So I've often wondered if my recurring childhood nightmare may have been some kind of dream interpretation of subconscious memories of the sights and sounds my own birth.

Firefly
11-27-17, 16:17
A snail crawling along the edge of a straight razor and surviving

5.56 Bonded SP
11-27-17, 17:16
I wake up screaming frequently. It's weird because otherwise I am completely normal and healthy in every regard.
I have violent dreams, it's usually different but the similarity is some type of hand to hand combat, someone will be killing someone I care about, I try to fight, and my punches do nothing. Girlfriend woke me up last night asking if I was ok because I was screaming in my sleep.

5.56 Bonded SP
11-27-17, 17:16

I get that one too, that or the bullets cause no damage.

VARIABLE9
11-27-17, 17:26
What's your worst recurring nightmare?

You don’t want to know.

LMT Shooter
11-27-17, 17:39
A snail crawling along the edge of a straight razor and surviving

The horror......The horror.....

Averageman
11-27-17, 17:55
Up until I was maybe eight or nine years old I used to have a recurring dream of being in a cramped room with a very high ceiling, the walls were red and lumpy and resembled muscle tissue. At some point during the dream I would hear high pitched screaming coming from somewhere, it had a somewhat metallic quality to it. Toward the end of the dream a drain would appear in the floor and water would materialize and start draining out.
I used to wake up fairly shaken.
Interesting thing is that later in life my mother told me that when I was born, I had actually come out with my eyes open. So I've often wondered if my recurring childhood nightmare may have been some kind of dream interpretation of subconscious memories of the sights and sounds my own birth.

What no wall to wall carpet? It had to be a dream....

Bubba FAL
11-27-17, 19:37
1. As a kid, had the malevolent presence a lot - til we moved out of that house.

2. Gun that doesn't function when needed.

3. When we lived in SoCal, I commuted on Ortega highway. At one point, I drove an old Honda CRX. Had recurring dreams about going off the side of a mountain in that car. Would wake up just as it would hit bottom. It felt intensely real. Got rid of that car and the dreams went away.

I dont normally remember my dreams, so I've learned to pay attention to recurring dreams.

Diamondback
11-27-17, 20:22
The one I have *regularly*:
--Having to watch someone entrusted to my responsibility die because for whatever reason (sometimes underequipped, sometimes paralysis, sometimes just plain choke, sometimes a stray round missing the bad guy and hitting them instead, any of a zillion other reasons) when the Call of Duty sounded I *failed* to adequately answer it.

Averageman
11-27-17, 20:26
When I was a kid I dreamed I was sitting on the toilet and my Mom walked in and flushed it while I was sitting there and down I went...
Yeah, it was a tough childhood.

flenna
11-27-17, 20:32

Wow, this has been my recurring dream for over 20 years.....

uffdaphil
11-27-17, 21:54
The all-time recurring champ, going on 60+ years is the creepy flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz. If I could just summon a shotgun...

Doc Safari
11-28-17, 08:45
Those of you experiencing the "evil presence"--I'm not sure that's your imagination. For years I've been able to walk into a place and feel that evil presence if it's there. The people who own the properties are shocked in every case and usually make some comment like, "Yep, this place is haunted. You should see what happens at night."

Watrdawg
11-28-17, 09:19
Those of you experiencing the "evil presence"--I'm not sure that's your imagination. For years I've been able to walk into a place and feel that evil presence if it's there. The people who own the properties are shocked in every case and usually make some comment like, "Yep, this place is haunted. You should see what happens at night."

Know exactly what you are talking about. I've been the same way. Worst was when I was in the Army and stationed in Germany. Our company took a chartered bus to Octoberfest one year. Along the way we stopped at Dachau. It was a dreary day and very overcast. Walking onto the grounds I could feel presence of everyone that had died there. There was also a darker feeling along with those that had died. After staying there for 2-3 hours we finally left for Octoberfest. I have never been as drunk as I was that day ever in my life. I drank at least 5 Mosses of beer and probably closer to 7 that day. The depression and heaviness I felt at Dachau was numbing. On another side the house I currently live in the previous owner committed suicide in the attic. He hung himself. You can still see the stain in the plywood underneath where he hung himself and his bowels let loose after passing. We've lived there for 15 years now and have never felt his presence there at all.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-28-17, 09:47
The all-time recurring champ, going on 60+ years is the creepy flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz. If I could just summon a shotgun...

Grand parents set me to watch this in their basement, by myself, in the dark, alone. Great idea for a 5 year old.

Averageman
11-28-17, 10:56
Grand parents set me to watch this in their basement, by myself, in the dark, alone. Great idea for a 5 year old.

Did they even like you?
That's just harsh.

Bubba FAL
11-28-17, 21:32
Oh, no argument here. There was something "off" about that house. More than once, I woke my parents up because I swore that I heard someone calling my name in the middle of the night. And no one in my family liked being alone in the basement.

jmp45
11-28-17, 22:09

Doc, know what you mean. Years ago a brother told me when coming up from a dark basement his hairs standing up.. He turned around and went back down and told it show itself. That's how you deal with it.

I'll share this.. 35 years ago or so I had a dream I was sent to a dark place, it was a stone terrace bordered by a stone wall waist high overiooking darkness to the left. A building to the right, ancient stone with a hall lit inside. Out from the inside of the building a couple of familiar characters, Plant and Page.. In the distance across the terrace was a beaten cross lying in pitch. Had a plaque with some inscriptions on it, none I recognized. Plant told me it was where they mock the crucifixion. It really troubled me, it was ominous. It transitioned at that point and was no longer Plant. I realized in the dream where I was and said you are a demon. He responded, "What do you know about demons" and started throwing these viles at me breaking and pouring out around me. I awoke or came back from there in cold sweats and pains in my side from being hit by those viles whatever they may have been. I've had a few experiences, this by far was the darkest. I've never felt intense fear like that ever.

Doc Safari
11-29-17, 09:00
Doc, know what you mean. Years ago a brother told me when coming up from a dark basement his hairs standing up.. He turned around and went back down and told it show itself. That's how you deal with it.

No, that's the worst thing you can do. That gives it permission to manifest itself. You tell it in no uncertain terms to GO AWAY.

Watrdawg
11-29-17, 09:15
Scariest dream I have ever had and thank God it only occurred once was also very dark like jmp45's above. 1st off I have a necklace with a Virgin Mary pendant that was blessed by the Pope in 1960. We are Italian and my mother went back to Italy and brought it back for her Mother. Just before my grandmother died my mother took her jewelry off of her while in the hospital. My grandmother was in a coma. She came out of the coma on a Monday and her 1st words to her family were to come Wednesday the funeral is Friday. She went back into a coma that same day and died that Wednesday. Well a couple of weeks later when they went into my grandmothers jewelry box and got the pendant out it was cracked and the crack went through the Virgin Mary's heart. My grandmothers name was also Mary. So I have had the pendant since 1986. Now to my dream. In my dream I'm in bed asleep and all of a sudden I wake up. There are French doors from my bedroom out to a terrace in my dream and those doors fly open and the curtains are flapping all around. Outside the door and coming from outside in are 2 glowing red eyes. They are Satan's eyes and he is coming to get me. I grab the medal around my neck and start praying to the Virgin Mary and my grandmother to protect me from Satan. As soon as I start praying I hear a blood curdling, angry scream and the eyes start fading away off into the distance. I woke up completely drenched in sweat and couldn't get back to sleep the rest of the night.

usmcvet
11-29-17, 12:01
The worst dreams I have are either of two. One I have in various forms is being in an area walking from one place to another and all of a sudden everywhere I step more and more snakes start appearing. After a bit there is no place I can step without stepping on a snake. The other usually involves someone breaking into my house and every time I try to fire my weapon to stop them either I can't pull the trigger because its too hard or when I do the bullet flops out of the barrel about a foot or two past it. Then the invader jumps me.

Both of those are easily eclipsed by my flying dreams. In those dreams I can fly and soar like an Eagle. They are a blast to have!!

When I have bad dreams I can jump up into the air and swim away. It's awesome! I have the gun wont fire BS dream once in awhile too.

jmp45
11-29-17, 12:16
No, that's the worst thing you can do. That gives it permission to manifest itself. You tell it in no uncertain terms to GO AWAY.

That was kind of what I was alluding to, confront and take authority over.

markm
11-29-17, 12:30
I have the occasional "bad shoot" or some other crime dream. Where I do something that I think will get me locked up.

Safetyhit
11-29-17, 13:01
I have the occasional "bad shoot" or some other crime dream. Where I do something that I think will get me locked up.

So do I.

CPM
11-29-17, 13:23
Scariest dream I have ever had and thank God it only occurred once was also very dark like jmp45's above. 1st off I have a necklace with a Virgin Mary pendant that was blessed by the Pope in 1960. We are Italian and my mother went back to Italy and brought it back for her Mother. Just before my grandmother died my mother took her jewelry off of her while in the hospital. My grandmother was in a coma. She came out of the coma on a Monday and her 1st words to her family were to come Wednesday the funeral is Friday. She went back into a coma that same day and died that Wednesday. Well a couple of weeks later when they went into my grandmothers jewelry box and got the pendant out it was cracked and the crack went through the Virgin Mary's heart. My grandmothers name was also Mary. So I have had the pendant since 1986. Now to my dream. In my dream I'm in bed asleep and all of a sudden I wake up. There are French doors from my bedroom out to a terrace in my dream and those doors fly open and the curtains are flapping all around. Outside the door and coming from outside in are 2 glowing red eyes. They are Satan's eyes and he is coming to get me. I grab the medal around my neck and start praying to the Virgin Mary and my grandmother to protect me from Satan. As soon as I start praying I hear a blood curdling, angry scream and the eyes start fading away off into the distance. I woke up completely drenched in sweat and couldn't get back to sleep the rest of the night.

Wait, you have french doors and a terrace in your bedroom? Damn.

tog
11-29-17, 13:29
I have this one about every week: I have a class to teach, which I forget about for a few weeks. I then remember and try to find my notes, textbook, calculator, (I have several offices in the dream and can't find anything) and students. I finally get them to the classroom, but the class is a chaotic mess as I can't make up the time. I forget about the class for another few weeks and the dream only gets worse from there.

Watrdawg
11-29-17, 13:49
Wait, you have french doors and a terrace in your bedroom? Damn.

No that was just in my dream. Kind of like the old Vampire movies where Dracula is coming through those type doors coming after whoever in the room. It was that type of scene.

markm
11-29-17, 14:54
So do I.

Always feels good to wake up and know you're not going to court/jail.

Safetyhit
11-29-17, 16:13
Always feels good to wake up and know you're not going to court/jail.

Isn't that the damn truth. Glad I'm not the only one.

CommO
11-29-17, 19:29
Wow, this has been my recurring dream for over 20 years.....+1

The "too heavy trigger" dream is one I've had for many years. Good to know I'm not the only one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

donlapalma
11-29-17, 22:36
I've only had one legit recurring dream and it was when I was a young kid. Basically, it was me sitting in the empty stands of an arena watching a figure skater on the ice lit up by a spotlight which was the only light in the whole arena. She would be there one moment and then gone the next with only blood left behind on the ice. This was followed by a feeling of sheer terror as I fell endlessly into a dark bottomless cavern.

That was it. I do remember having these dreams during a time when I was having physical ailments and had to go to the emergency room one of the nights I was having abdominal pains. Can't say I've had any other recurring dreams since then.

kwelz
11-30-17, 00:04
I have a lot of recurring nightmares involving Tornadoes. I always had them but after 2012 they have been a lot more common.

Gun wise I sometimes have them where I am trying to shoot but no matter what I do the gun won't fire. Trigger pulls but never fires..

duece71
12-01-17, 14:43
The college paper I forgot to write or a “surprise” test I forgot to study for. The empty gun one I have had as well. The one about getting close to having sex with a woman has been another one. All of these I wake up feeling frustrated or unfulfilled.

Doc Safari
12-01-17, 14:46
I got a question for you guys:

How many of you, in the middle of ANY kind of dream.....suddenly start dreaming about finding a bathroom or going into a bathroom...or even entering a bathroom stall or sidling up to a urinal...only to wake up and have to pee for real?

It seems like if I'm having a dream, good or bad, if I start dreaming about having to pee it means I need to for real.

Watrdawg
12-01-17, 14:48

How many of you, in the middle of ANY kind of dream.....suddenly start dreaming about finding a bathroom or going into a bathroom...or even entering a bathroom stall or sidling up to a urinal...only to wake up and have to pee for real?

It seems like if I'm having a dream, good or bad, if I start dreaming about having to pee it means I need to for real.

Happens all the time.

Dionysusigma
12-01-17, 19:34
What I'm getting from all this, so far, is a lot of people's "Dream Guns" aren't .45 Lugers, or the Hk Mk23, or a CZ Shadow 2 blessed by Larry Vickers and the Pope...

... y'all's dream guns are apparently Nagant revolvers and Taurus .25 ACPs :laugh:

My worst involve a loved one graphically self-harming. The person varies, the method varies, but... I can't watch the Saw movies.

jmp45
12-03-17, 16:21
deleted

usmcvet
12-03-17, 18:07
Hillary is POTUS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warp
12-03-17, 22:25
Car won't stop. As a teen I once had the accelerator stuck, on the floor, in a parking lot. Frequency of that dream is down over the years but still there from time to time. Used to be a lot more often.

Need to run away from or towards something or someone, but legs are pure jello and I'm probably going about 1 MPH at max effort.

Thousand pound trigger, can only get it to drop right after threat moves out of sight picture (or can never get it to fire).

Semester is almost over and there's a class that I have been skipping I suddenly remember I'm supposed to have been going to but it's surely way too late to get enough points to not fail and what class was it when what room what professor shit I can't remember maybe I didn't really have it and it's just a bad dream.

Yeah that happens sometimes. I figure my body knows I have to pee and it just, IDK permeates my sleeping mind and gets into the dream then wakes me up. Or...whatever. But yeah it definitely happens. I'm just glad that when I start to pee in the dream I don't actually piss the bed before waking up or while half awake lol

Scorpion
12-04-17, 07:12
1. Seeing my dad in the casket as a 5-year-old. I never properly dealt with this.

2. In a bad situation, go for the gun. The gun either isn't there at all, or the trigger is too heavy to pull, or i can pull the trigger, but either nothing comes out or i can't hit shit. Either way, i die.

3. Seeing my mom in a casket. She's still living. See #1 for why this happens.

4. Failure to protect. Either i fail to stop an attack or i fail at preventing their death in other ways (bleeding, sickness, etc.) These dreams are the absolute worst; it is a manifestation of my worst fear and the dreams always seem real. They're the only ones that cause me to wake up in tears.

5. Only felt the malevolent presence in one house. Combined with #4, this was absolutely terrifying. It was also in this house that i had a dream that combined 1, 2, 4, and this one - i got to witness my father die, in gruesome detail, all over again. Woke up in ****ing tears, couldn't move or make a sound for about a moment.

...yeah, maybe i shouldn't have posted.

Moose-Knuckle
12-08-17, 03:55
Recurring dream . . .

Myself or someone I love is ambushed by meth head type squatters at my late grandparents property or my childhood home.

In reality both properties are unoccupied at present but I go out to both from time to time and am always armed to say the least. I've told my mother these dreams, her and my dad both carry when they venture into either property. We're kind of a big listen to your dreams kind of a family. My mother's dreams have helped diagnose a medical problem I had in hs when docs couldn't figure it out and she knew what each of her children would be and what our hair and eye color would be while we were in the womb. My wife had the same dream about our child and was spot on.

Another recurring nightmare I encounter is firearms experiencing a malfunction/stoppage at critical times. More times than not my G19 CCW.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-08-17, 08:38
Recurring dream . . .

Myself or someone I love is ambushed by meth head type squatters at my late grandparents property or my childhood home.

In reality both properties are unoccupied at present but I go out to both from time to time and am always armed to say the least. I've told my mother these dreams, her and my dad both carry when they venture into either property. We're kind of a big listen to your dreams kind of a family. My mother's dreams have helped diagnose a medical problem I had in hs when docs couldn't figure it out and she knew what each of her children would be and what our hair and eye color would be while we were in the womb. My wife had the same dream about our child and was spot on.

Lots of work dreams that have been useful. The biggest real world example I remember was the guy who figured out the Benzene ring had dreams of snakes biting each other’s tails to form a ring. I’m not going to start a business consultancy based on peyote, but getting your consciousness out of the way can help to see things that are underlying.