PDA

View Full Version : Backup irons mounting question.

jaytee
11-27-17, 11:44
I've currently got a 2-7 Leupold mounted and I'm considering mounting some backup irons. Was looking at the Magpul 525 and 526 offsets. Question is if I'm a lefty, do I mount these on the RH side of the rifle as I'm looking down the barrel? It seems more comfortable that way but since I've never used these before I wasn't sure.

titsonritz
11-27-17, 13:38
Offset sights for a lefty should be on the left side of the weapon. Here is a thread comparing Magpul and Troy offset sight (unfortunately the photo fell victim to the Photobucket BS), it appears the Maguls are not lefty friendly.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?168262-Magpul-MBUS-Pro-Offset-vs-Troy-Offset-BattleSights-(brief-comparison)&highlight=OFFSET+buis

GH41
11-27-17, 13:51
Offset sights for a lefty should be on the left side of the weapon. Here is a thread comparing Magpul and Troy offset sight (unfortunately the photo fell victim to the Photobucket BS), it appears the Maguls are not lefty friendly.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?168262-Magpul-MBUS-Pro-Offset-vs-Troy-Offset-BattleSights-(brief-comparison)&highlight=OFFSET+buis

I am one who responded to that post and no longer fool with photobucket. I worked around the charging handle issue by mounting the rear sight at the rear of the handguard/rail. Granted it was a 15" rail but it worked fine.

jaytee
11-27-17, 15:09

Well I've watched a few youtube videos and it seems some folks have mounted them on the left side of the rifle and not really had any issues. The only problem I can see is that the anti glare serrations on the rear sight will be facing forwards instead of towards the eye. Mounted on the right side, they fold rearward and mounted on the left they would fold forward which I really cant find any issue with.

bamashooter
11-27-17, 18:26
I had a set mounted on the left side and there were no issues; none. Do it.

Korgs130
11-29-17, 07:43
Take a look at the Griffin Armament M2 Sights w/ Angle Kit. They can be mounted on the left side as well as the right. I have a set on my LMT MWS and they work well.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/product-p/gam2a.htm

RVTMaverick
11-29-17, 10:09
Question about this question,...... because for me, I think this would Matter, Does which EYE Dominate come into play?
OP, are you right or left dominant?

IF this is completely out of the ball park, Mod., just please erase this reply;)

ginzomatic
11-29-17, 13:15
Question about this question,...... because for me, I think this would Matter, Does which EYE Dominate come into play?

IF this is completely out of the ball park, Mod., just please erase this reply;)

I'm a righty and cross-eye dominant... unless I am missing something, I don't think it would be any different for a lefty who is cross eye dominant

irondude
11-29-17, 13:51
I have Knights Armament off set sights on two rifles. I am a lefty and the sights are mounted backwards. The only downside is that the rear sight adjustment knob works is reverse. Adjusting the bullet impact to the RIGHT as marked on the knob, actually moves the impact to the LEFT. The KAC sights are tops in my mind, they work very well.

For the record, I am mostly left handed. I shoot pistols right handed but align the sights to my left eye. i shot rifles primarily left handed, or rather prefer to shoot rifles left handed.

jaytee
11-29-17, 14:14

I'm left eye dominate.