PDA

View Full Version : Are All Standard AR-15 Charging Handles Created Equal?

AR-Tenner
11-28-17, 16:53
Hi Y'all,

I have been stockpiling AR parts more than usual lately, as well as preparing for another build, and I noticed that the Colt charging handles sold by Brownells are insanely expensive ($63.99), compared to the standard charging handles from most other manufacturers, which run from $15 to $35.

Although many people like the various non-standard charging handles, I have no interest in them. I tried the BCM Gunfighter with both the small and medium latch, and I can honestly say that it is the only AR part I have ever truly HATED. The latch stuck out so much, even on the small-latch model (I know this is what they are supposed to do, but it caused so many problems for me), that it got in the way all the time. I carry my rifles (and HD shotguns) on Viking Tactics 2-point slings slung across my chest, and that darn Gunfighter charging handle was constantly not only poking me in the chest, but would unlock and do spontaneous press checks all the time, even when I was just wearing a T-shirt. When wearing a mag carrier chest rig out in the field, it actually would spontaneously cycle the action. Therefore, I have always used and been totally satisfied with standard-model handles (heck, I'd take triangle-type if they were well-made today at an attractive price).

Am I correct in assuming that the premium features of a top-end standard charging handle are the 7075 T6 material and forged construction? If that is all the difference between a Colt and, say, a CMMG, wouldn't the forged 7075 T6 handles from places like Spike's, PSA, and Stag be just as good as the Colt, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Butch
11-28-17, 18:59
Can't answer your question but I wouldn't pay that much for the Colt. On Cyber Monday, I bought a Geissele ACH for three dollars more.

opngrnd
11-28-17, 19:53
You can get the Colt for $30 from G&R, if I'm not mistaken. Or the USGI Sionics for under $25 from Mi-Tac. Due to my budget, I decided to go with a USGI charging handle, so I've been looking around. While I like my BCM products, USGI works fine for me on precision builds.

As far as different brands go, I'm guessing that most USGI are made in just a few places, and you are essentially paying a few extra bucks to ensure you buy from a company that has quality in mind.

bb223
11-29-17, 19:13
You can get a Colt from Arms Unlimited for $28 shipped.

stevenravenscroft
11-29-17, 20:58
Hang up on a shirt or chest rig and cycle the action ? Must have a week ass spring in it. Mine arent that easy when I pull on it, but ok .

Cokie
11-29-17, 21:05
Hang up on a shirt or chest rig and cycle the action ? Must have a week ass spring in it. Mine arent that easy when I pull on it, but ok .

Nah dude, spontaneously cycle. spontaneously.

But really I prefer the normal $28 colt from armsunlimited to my raptors. IMO the difference in cost is not worth it. Put the money in a different part of the build like the barrel or trigger.

theruinedcity
11-29-17, 22:27
I know that Radian Weapons had their Radian Raptor Charging handles that were blemished for $40 during black Friday. I got mine and I love the way it looks and feels, but I haven't used it yet. I got mine on sale a few weeks ago on primary arms.

https://radianweapons.com/accessories/charging-handles

Outlander Systems
11-30-17, 08:50
This. I've danced the super-fantastic-ninja CH dance, and, for this guy, the juice ain't worth the squeeze.

For the money, I'd rather pick up a couple of spare GI CHs and call it damn good. All, I SAY AGAIN, all of the whizz-bang CHs get hung up on my kit or clothes.

Pass.

Nah dude, spontaneously cycle. spontaneously.

But really I prefer the normal $28 colt from armsunlimited to my raptors. IMO the difference in cost is not worth it. Put the money in a different part of the build like the barrel or trigger.

Firefly
11-30-17, 15:54
Meh more or less. I tried the BCM Gunfighter and it pinched me a time too many. So I reverted to the normal one.

Geissele looks interesting and I have a PRI on my homemade SR25. I like the PRI a smidge more and had it for....a minute....until I realized that my SR25 kit actually came with a CH. (D'oh!). Embarrassing as I literally found it this summer clearing out my parts bin. I'm used to the PRI but had I known wouldnt have bought it.

LMT/556
12-01-17, 08:25
I've had good luck with 3 Noveske charging handles, they claim mil spec at $22, not soft like another well reputed supplier...