PDA

View Full Version : "John Wick 2" Glock 34

sundance435
11-29-17, 08:36
So, I watched John Wick 2 for the fifth time last night. I also had the opportunity recently to shoot a TTI'd Glock 34, though it wasn't the "Wick" package. After being a die-hard "not putting aftermarket crap inside my Glock"-guy, I'm starting to have second thoughts on that. Anyone own a TTI Glock or something similar? If so, do you think it's worth the price premium? The "Wick" package from TTI is currently running $1350 + customer supplied 34. I'm still having a hard time justifying that amount for what is, in the end, still a Glock. I also don't like the thought of fixing something that isn't broken in terms of reliability. However, like I said, my recent experience has got me thinking.

tn1911
11-29-17, 08:40
Honestly I can’t even begin to justify $1350 for any Glock must less $1350 for just a custom package

CPM
11-29-17, 08:52
There’s a rumor that many years ago Dave Sevigny’s Glock went down at a competition that Glock had a tent at. Rumor has it that he went to the booth and took a bone stock Glock 17 and won 1st overall with it.

Hulkstr8
11-29-17, 10:17
Sidenote* Am I the only one who loved John Wick, but hated the sequel?!?

darr3239
11-29-17, 10:46
If you are heavy into competition it may make sense. Otherwise it may be in the cool/show off category. If you really like it, why not?

On the other hand here's a quote from Sevigny: "Someone could have a Glock 34 identical to mine with another $100 worth of parts and 15 minutes of labor."

CDR_Glock
11-29-17, 11:08
I don’t care to do heavy mods. I traded for a tricked out one which is my carry gun. I’d love to compete with it, when the next GSSF comp occurs.

As for modifying for a movie model, I’d rather spend the extra $800 on 4000 rounds of 9 mm ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

glock21xxx
11-29-17, 11:18

I’m with you bro! Part deux was doo-doo

CDR_Glock
11-29-17, 12:04
Someone said The Accountant was like John Wick. Is it worth watching?

I liked both John Wick movies.

WickedWillis
11-29-17, 14:24

The Accountant is better than Wick 2 imo.

On topic, I really love the look and the feel of custom Glocks. I'm a bit obsessed with Agency Arms stuff, but honestly all of their mods are functional for carry or duty guns as well. Albeit at a premium price that I can't personally afford. All of my Glocks have at least one cusom mod, usually frame work, which adds up very fast. I now have to shoot with a double undercut and I prefer a thumb rest also. I'm a bitch lol, I know.

That TT Combat Master 34 is a very nice custom Glock.

RHINOWSO
11-29-17, 16:44
For what I use Glocks for (self / home defense), it's not remotely worth it.

hopetonbrown
11-29-17, 17:06
I got the $400 package from TTI four years ago when Taran would email you back from his iPhone.

It's still on his site but it's now $500.

There are interviews on youtube with Taran and Bob Vogel where they say slide lightening cuts are dumb.

Paying a few hundred for a stipple job, sights and trigger mod can make sense. But $1350 worth of mods absolutely does not.

Make 2018 the year you start shooting competitively and take shooting classes. That's a lot more fun than paying for holes in your slide. Good luck.

Helix12
11-29-17, 18:50
I liked both John Wick movies and own both on DVD.

His Glock was very cool, in a movie, but I have absolutely no desire for a similar gun for myself. If I'm going to put that much money in a handgun it for certain won't be a Glock.

P.S.
I liked his AR15 better than his Glock. Also liked his M4 Benelli better than his Glocks.

WickedWillis
11-29-17, 18:53
I liked both John Wick movies and own both on DVD.

His Glock was very cool, in a movie, but I have absolutely no desire for a similar gun for myself. If I'm going to put that much money in a handgun it for certain won't be a Glock.

P.S.
I liked his AR15 better than his Glock. Also liked his M4 Benelli better than his Glocks.

His BCM and Benelli were both set up very well I agree.

MeanCarbine
11-29-17, 19:05
It's nice "second kind of cool," but nothing more. It will not help performance enough to justify the cost.

militarymoron
11-29-17, 19:06
All of my Glocks have at least one custom mod, usually frame work, which adds up very fast. I now have to shoot with a double undercut and I prefer a thumb rest also.

This is when the polymer80 frame makes sense - it already has a lot of the mods people who like frame mods want. I put together two G17 polymer80 frames over the past weekend at $120 a piece on sale, shipped from Brownells. I had a couple of extra slides unassigned to frames so now I have two more complete pistols. I don't own any modified slides - I keep them stock.

itsmcgavinson
11-29-17, 19:54
"Taran Tactical", getting all of the tactical spotlight that Michael Mann and his technical advisers should've got.

MegademiC
11-29-17, 20:26
If a glock costs more than $1k, it better have an RDS on it.

There’s a rumor that many years ago Dave Sevigny’s Glock went down at a competition that Glock had a tent at. Rumor has it that he went to the booth and took a bone stock Glock 17 and won 1st overall with it.

I know when he first got into IDPA, he won with a stock g23, per a YouTube video by him.

foxtrotx1
11-30-17, 02:19

I hated it too. The amount of people he killed and the shots he was making was just over the top.

Hulkstr8
11-30-17, 09:47
I hated it too. The amount of people he killed and the shots he was making was just over the top.

That plus the whole subway king thing, wtf. It was way too weird. Guns were cool tho.

WickedWillis
11-30-17, 10:52
This is when the polymer80 frame makes sense - it already has a lot of the mods people who like frame mods want. I put together two G17 polymer80 frames over the past weekend at $120 a piece on sale, shipped from Brownells. I had a couple of extra slides unassigned to frames so now I have two more complete pistols. I don't own any modified slides - I keep them stock.

Well this is the most positive thing that I have heard about the Polymer80's so far from a reputable source. I could use one on a Gen 3 17 I have... I would like to see them put out a Gen 4 as well in these. Thanks for the heads up.

"Taran Tactical", getting all of the tactical spotlight that Michael Mann and his technical advisers should've got.

Mann gets plenty of due praise for his works and using realism, getting his actors training, and using the best ambient and real gunshots in his films. I'm a huge fan.

militarymoron
11-30-17, 12:45
Well this is the most positive thing that I have heard about the Polymer80's so far from a reputable source. I could use one on a Gen 3 17 I have... I would like to see them put out a Gen 4 as well in these. Thanks for the heads up.

I put together the compact frame first a few months ago, and watched as many of the youtube builds as I could to get a heads-up of any issues. The most important thing is to ensure that the slide doesn't bind and runs smooth on the rails. I did some rounding of sharp edges and stoning to smooth everything out. The next two fullsize builds I just completed in 3 hours for both, taking my time. All I used was a dremel, some files and a small coping saw to remove the tabs. No mill or drill press. Even though they recommend using a hand drill for the holes, I think a drill press would ensure that they come out straight. Mine were hand drilled, so the pins are tight in there. :)

So far I have around 700-800 rounds through the compact, and just put 200 through one of the full size frames the other day. No issues so far (touch wood).

https://i.imgur.com/l3GZ1P8.jpg

1911-A1
11-30-17, 17:03
His BCM and Benelli were both set up very well I agree.

I think the shotgun bits just illustrated how silly it is to have one in a fight when you could be carrying spare AR mags. It was just an excuse to show off his 3-gun shotgun reloads, but it slowed the sequence WAAAAY down.

WickedWillis
11-30-17, 17:09
I think the shotgun bits just illustrated how silly it is to have one in a fight when you could be carrying spare AR mags. It was just an excuse to show off his 3-gun shotgun reloads, but it slowed the sequence WAAAAY down.

I can see your points. I still thought it was cool.

Big A
12-01-17, 07:47

Mann gets plenty of due praise for his works and using realism, getting his actors training, and using the best ambient and real gunshots in his films. I'm a huge fan.

I stumbled across the youtube channel "Tactical Toolbox" when looking into the Polymer80 frames and found his videos very informative compared to most others. He's very....energetic... but his were the better of the build videos I found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGW4VF4iGEA

I'm asking for a couple of frames for Christmas but if Santa don't deliver I'm gonna pick some up afterwards. I want to get into the RMR pistol game. There is no way I could live with myself if I dropped the kind of crazy money that companies like Agency Arms & Taran Tactical ask for a Glock. Plus I like the no paperwork to ask Uncle Sam's permission aspect of it.

militarymoron
12-01-17, 09:09
I stumbled across the youtube channel "Tactical Toolbox" when looking into the Polymer80 frames and found his videos very informative compared to most others. He's very....energetic... but his were the better of the build videos I found:

I'm asking for a couple of frames for Christmas but if Santa don't deliver I'm gonna pick some up afterwards. I want to get into the RMR pistol game. There is no way I could live with myself if I dropped the kind of crazy money that companies like Agency Arms & Taran Tactical ask for a Glock. Plus I like the no paperwork to ask Uncle Sam's permission aspect of it.

I agree - 'Tactical toolbox's' vids were some of the better vids I found. The Brownells slides are a very inexpensive way to get into the RMR Glock game:
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/front-cut-rmr-slide-for-gen3-glock-9mm-17-4-stainless-nitride-prod107977.aspx

I built a polymer80 G19 with brownells slide for a buddy (non-RMR). Just note that the Brownells slide is more 'boxy' than the OEM slide, and won't fit into the same holsters because the top edges extend out more than the rounded ones of the OEM slide. IMHO, all manufacturers making aftermarket Glock slides and frames should stay within the OEM Glock envelope to ensure holster compatibility. I'm invested in Glock holsters so that would be a 'make or break' factor for me. The polymer80 frame trigger guard is wider, so it doesn't fit in non-light Glock holsters. But, it works with holsters that index off the light, so I'm just using my polymer80 frames with my light-compatible glock holsters.
I have noticed more holster manufacturers making P80-compatible holsters lately, though.

3ACR_Scout
12-01-17, 10:48
I thought the Accountant was a much better all-around movie than John Wick in terms of the acting and story. For the purposes of this discussion, I thought it was a more - dare I say it? - realistic portrayal of a skilled gunfighter without all the fancy showmanship of gun handling (press checks, reloads, etc). I’ve watched the Accountant several times now but don’t have much interest in watching the John Wick movies straight through again aside from just some of the fight scenes for entertainment.

darr3239
12-01-17, 11:10
The polymer80 frame trigger guard is wider, so it doesn't fit in non-light Glock holsters.

Would it fit standard Glock holster if you shaved down the trigger guard?

Big A
12-01-17, 11:21
I agree - 'Tactical toolbox's' vids were some of the better vids I found. The Brownells slides are a very inexpensive way to get into the RMR Glock game:
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/front-cut-rmr-slide-for-gen3-glock-9mm-17-4-stainless-nitride-prod107977.aspx

I built a polymer80 G19 with brownells slide for a buddy (non-RMR). Just note that the Brownells slide is more 'boxy' than the OEM slide, and won't fit into the same holsters because the top edges extend out more than the rounded ones of the OEM slide. IMHO, all manufacturers making aftermarket Glock slides and frames should stay within the OEM Glock envelope to ensure holster compatibility. I'm invested in Glock holsters so that would be a 'make or break' factor for me. The polymer80 frame trigger guard is wider, so it doesn't fit in non-light Glock holsters. But, it works with holsters that index off the light, so I'm just using my polymer80 frames with my light-compatible glock holsters.
I have noticed more holster manufacturers making P80-compatible holsters lately, though.

Yes sir, the Brownell's slide is what I am planing to go with. Thanks for the heads up about the holster fitment with it.

sundance435
12-01-17, 11:41

It was cool to see him load one into an empty chamber, though - just another excuse to show off a different TTI mod'd gun. I don't remember if he actually ghosts a round in it, or not.

militarymoron
12-01-17, 11:56
Would it fit standard Glock holster if you shaved down the trigger guard?

I'd assume so, but have not tried doing that.

Helix12
12-01-17, 15:52

I agree that I would have forgone the shotgun and carried more ammo for the AR. But, it is just a movie which is purely for entertainment purposes and certainly this movie isn't meant to mirror real life at all. If a realism person wants to criticize the movie they could point out that Wick always seems to know when and from which direction the bad guys are going to show up. He must have wonderful hearing, especially with all the gunfire going off.

Still, good entertainment in my opinion.

mgrs
12-01-17, 17:49
Having the shotgun was also necessary for the sommelier scene.

I initially thought his glock in the film was a salient gun, but it looks like he used the same weapons in the film that he trained with at TTI. Still admirable for the effort put into it. Many films would not do this.

Helix12
12-02-17, 08:02
Having the shotgun was also necessary for the sommelier scene.

I initially thought his glock in the film was a salient gun, but it looks like he used the same weapons in the film that he trained with at TTI. Still admirable for the effort put into it. Many films would not do this.

Agree that Reeves and the production company took the time and extreme effort to really make the action scenes look great. Each fight scene was choreographed almost like a dance routine would be.

There are some videos on YouTube showing the preparation for filming the two John Wick movies. They brought in martial arts instructors for the physical fight scenes. It's hard to imagine many actors going through what Keanu Reeves did to get everything right for these two movie. I think he cleared his calendar for 3-4 months so he could work on the physical preparation and practice for the various fight scenes and gun handling during the first John Wick movie.

It will be interesting to see if there is a John Wick 3 and if Reeves will be the star. He was 50 years old when they filmed JW Chapter 2 and seemed to me to be just a tad slower than he was in the first John Wick movie.

HKGuns
12-02-17, 08:10
John should have stuck with HK. You could tell the crappy trigger was slowing his splits down.

Moving to gLoCk is why you see so much grappling in 2. Simply couldn’t hit shit with those $200 pistols.

Not many gLoCk pistols worth $400.

CDR_Glock
12-02-17, 11:18
I thought the Accountant was a much better all-around movie than John Wick in terms of the acting and story. For the purposes of this discussion, I thought it was a more - dare I say it? - realistic portrayal of a skilled gunfighter without all the fancy showmanship of gun handling (press checks, reloads, etc). I’ve watched the Accountant several times now but don’t have much interest in watching the John Wick movies straight through again aside from just some of the fight scenes for entertainment.

Thanks for the endorsement of the movie. Now I have to watch it.

Instagram: MuzzleblastMD

shotmeshotu
12-02-17, 23:21

you are in a world of you own, the sequel is amazing.
John wick was a very big movie, gained recognition in many levels and made a lot of many for all involved, with the way the part 2 ended i wont be surprised if another is in production. i personally feel Glock 34 is a great pistol but its all blown out of proportion, if he use a Sig or Kimber or HK it also would be on must peoples bucket-list too

hopetonbrown
12-02-17, 23:51
John should have stuck with HK. You could tell the crappy trigger was slowing his splits down.

Moving to gLoCk is why you see so much grappling in 2. Simply couldn’t hit shit with those $200 pistols.

Not many gLoCk pistols worth $400.Who is winning USPSA/IDPA/IPSC titles with HK pistols? HK didn't even have a pistol team just prior to the VP9 because nobody wanted to shoot their pistols in competition.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

YVK
12-03-17, 00:14
Wick 2 is a crap show. His bespoke slim fit bullet proof suit was more impressive than all of his guns combined; too bad it was fake.

HK did have a team before the VP9, they shot mostly DA/SA P30L. The team was disbanded a little before the official VP9 release.

Firefly
12-03-17, 00:33
I hate to be a Debbie Downer but anybody spending a grand on a Glock 34 because of John Wick 2 is on Crack.

In fact JW2 actually made me hate JW1.

Of all the guns in the world to Gucci, a G34 is not one of them. You would get far, far more out of adj sights than all the extra crap someone else would do that is pretty much snake oil.

But I'm not immune. I got a cheap PPK because of Goldeneye and will one day get a Makarov solely because I like the Cold War era.

Thats as far as I go.

Slightly OT but I actually like my PPK. I got a good one. I dont keep much .380 on me and rarely shoot it but From Russia With Love and Goldeneye were my favorite Bonds. I dont like the Daniel Craig ones and the Roger Moore's were SO BORING.

Warp
12-03-17, 08:38

They are totally different movies.

You need to watch both.

As for modifying for a movie model, I’d rather spend the extra $800 on 4000 rounds of 9 mm ammo.

That's all I keep thinking.

TactiCool1976
12-03-17, 21:42
i have a G34 and i doubt i'd ever do the full TTI kit... i plan on doing a trigger kit and sights and that is about it... maybe some stippling or just some talon grips

mgrs
12-07-17, 20:58
I hate to be a Debbie Downer but anybody spending a grand on a Glock 34 because of John Wick 2 is on Crack.

In fact JW2 actually made me hate JW1.

Of all the guns in the world to Gucci, a G34 is not one of them. You would get far, far more out of adj sights than all the extra crap someone else would do that is pretty much snake oil.

But I'm not immune. I got a cheap PPK because of Goldeneye and will one day get a Makarov solely because I like the Cold War era.

Thats as far as I go.

Slightly OT but I actually like my PPK. I got a good one. I dont keep much .380 on me and rarely shoot it but From Russia With Love and Goldeneye were my favorite Bonds. I dont like the Daniel Craig ones and the Roger Moore's were SO BORING.

Have you ever fired a TTI'd Glock?

AKS-74U
12-07-17, 22:17
"Man on Fire" will always be the G34 movie.

montrala
12-08-17, 04:05
Who is winning USPSA/IDPA/IPSC titles with HK pistols?

If winning titles defines best pistol, then everybody should dump their Glocks and whatever else they have and get a Tanfoglio ;)

ejr490
12-08-17, 17:17
I'd just love to shoot one to be honest. I thought kinda the same thing about 1911's until someone let me shoot their open gun with a like 3 ounce trigger, in 38 super. I got to say it was pretty cool to shoot and shoot well too. TTI kit is expensive like a lot of the other big name custom shops but I'll bet they are a lot of fun to shoot.

Ed