PDA

View Full Version : Go 6.8spc pre-election?

carbinero
10-12-08, 11:05
What are the pros and cons of building a 6.8spc vs. another 5.56, in light of a likely gun ban? I'd like to build an AR-15 for my son, and am concerned about availability of parts, mags, ammo: if a ban is enacted, will that significantly hinder development and push prices more than 5.56?

chadbag
10-12-08, 13:14
If you are worried about ammunition availability with the 6.8, buy a whole ton of it now, and learn to reload and get all the stuff you need to reload 6.8

Cohibra45
10-12-08, 14:01
The last AWB had just magazines along with weapons banned...the next will likely focus on ammo if there will be one at all.

Not sure there will be because of the voting firearms owners voted out all the banners in the interim election in '94. Just vote this election and make sure you friends are knowledgeable. My main concern in voting has always surrounded gun rights. Most of the other things are just political hot air!!!

carbinero
10-12-08, 15:27
What sticks in my mind is the flurry of interest now (various 6.x), but after a ban would the market shrink such that calibers between .223 and .308 become the province of handloaders. No p-mags for them. Barrels only from custom manufacturers. If any new op systems do reach the public, they'll only be for NATO calibers. Less public demand for 6.x support would discourage development...

However a flat tax on ammo alone would make the price differential less...

Cohibra45
10-12-08, 17:38
Another take on the 'ban' or whatever might take place is a total ban on current military ammo, domestic and foreign. While we have varmint hunters that use .223 and big game hunters that use .308, the public would have no further access to 'cheap, bulk' military ammo in 5.56 or 7.62 NATO, which would even out the playing fields more for the 6.x people. That is just another scenario to be thought about. There are other countries around the world that ban use of military calibers of any sort...

carbinero
10-16-08, 20:26
Good thinking. After the 6.8's reliability news in the .308 thread, it's sounding more and more like a good option.

Cohibra45
10-16-08, 20:57
Good thinking. After the 6.8's reliability news in the .308 thread, it's sounding more and more like a good option.

Come on over and join us talking about the 6.8. Here is a link to the forum...

http://www.68forums.com/

Great group of people that gather there...much like here!!!:cool:

USMCoZ
10-19-08, 23:51
My 6.8 is allot of fun, and to be honest I think this is the cartridge that is going to do it for me and get me into reloading. Its never reaelly made sense till now and its worth it to me for this caliber. I hope this helps.

Race
10-27-08, 00:17
Not sure there will be because of the voting firearms owners voted out all the banners in the interim election in '94.

No - not all of them. One of the major ones is running for vice president. Also, Obama has been clear about his desire to ban not only the rifles and mags, but handuns, too. He also wants to tax ammo out of the practical reach of citizens.

They smell blood in the water and this time it's different. They're going to try everything they can and have shown they will game the system, commit fraud and break laws, to achieve their goals.

This time it's different. It's a Marxist takeover.

Turnkey11
10-27-08, 11:53
Im already sold on 6.8, the biggest problem being affording brass to load. Right now Im cycling through the same 200+ pieces of brass at least once a week, I need more.:D

BSHNT2015
11-02-08, 11:27
I hope the big companies will continue making 6.8mm products. As noted in the news, there was a 9-10% increase in firearms sales this past year. SO I hope this translate into continuing this caliber for hunters, law enforcement, military and like minded thinkers.

As mentioned by USMCoz, this was the rd thats making me think reloads on my own. My buddy is doing reloads already, I'll jump into it with him since he already spent the money. :)