PDA

View Full Version : Had the chance to fire my new M&P15 rifle

akgunnut
10-12-08, 12:03
Last Thursday I had the opportunity to shoot my new S&W M&P 15 carbine. I must say I should have bought one of these suckers a long time ago. The super low recoil, and accuracy of the AR platform is awesome. I experienced 0 malfunctions with the 80 rounds I ran through it, and I've already upgraded the forearm to a quad rail system. I told myself I was going to keep it pretty much stock except for maybe an Eotech and a sling, but I suppose adding a light won't hurt either! :D

Damascus
10-12-08, 13:20
Nice choice. My M&P15T is my favorite AR I've had yet. I can't think of one single bad thing to say about it... except maybe the finish... it's "prettier", smoother, and more consistent than other's I've seen, but doesn't seem to be quite as tough as Armalite or Colt's coatings, as I've already scratched her up a tiny bit. But, that's not a problem.
I still haven't had the oppertunity to try a LMT, but ALL my future AR purchases are going to be S&W unless I need a 1/7" barrel, in that case I'll try an LMT.

drsal
10-12-08, 13:45
I picked up an M&P 15 about a year ago. I've put a little over 2k rds through it with minimal (almost non-existant) cleaning and have not had a single hiccup.
The ammo has varied between S&B, Wolf, Barnaul, Brown Bear, and Remington, not a single problem. Wonder if I was just fortunate or are most MP15's this good?

Damascus
10-12-08, 14:57
From what I've heard, they're all this good. Smith built em' to last. I've not shot that many through my 15T yet (about 1000), but it's yet to give me a FTF, FTE, or failure to go "bang". I mostly shoot reloads, but I'm also working on a bulk load of Lake City M855.
I have been wondering if all are as accurate as mine, as my 15T has proven to be uber-accurate. It's actually the most accurate carbine I've ever seen, with a 16" non-heavy barrel. It groups .50" all day long, and I haven't even started testing with TAC yet.

nightw50
10-12-08, 22:24
I've put 2.5k thru my MP15 and I'm very impressed with the accuracy of this weapon. After playing with Mini14's for the last 30 yrs. I've come to the realization that the reason corrections uses Mini14/AC556 is because in a prison yard there are no innocent bystanders.

jaydoc1
10-12-08, 22:30
It's actually the most accurate carbine I've ever seen, with a 16" non-heavy barrel. It groups .50" all day long, and I haven't even started testing with TAC yet.

What sort of optics are you using? My 15T seems to be quite accurate but I only have the Troy Battle Sights on it so far so my vision is actually the limiting factor in my accuracy at this point.

BTW, if anyone is in the market for a S&W M&P15, Bud's Gun Shop continues to lower their prices. I just bought mine last month for $1250 and now they're down to $1135!

austinN4
10-13-08, 06:24
BTW, if anyone is in the market for a S&W M&P15, Bud's Gun Shop continues to lower they're prices. I just bought mine last month for $1250 and now they're down to $1135!
Thanks for the alert. I just checked and this morning the 15T at Bud's says $1,169, including delivery. Other M&P15 models similarly on sale.

Damascus
10-13-08, 17:18
What sort of optics are you using?

Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN 4x32 for permanent mount, and a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 Mil-Dot for load development. The Troy BUIS that my rifle came with got sold (traded).. I never use iron sights, and I don't think my ACOG will break ;) lol.

Plinkertoo
10-22-08, 22:05
Got my 15OR in June. Have about 300 rounds through it. I've added a YHM free float quad rail handguard and an ATN 5X33L scope so far. The free float made the biggest difference in my groups. I'm talking "Is there something wrong with this ammo?", to "Wow, are those 2 holes touching each other!?". I'd have never believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself.

Love it so far. :D

Liquid Rhino
10-22-08, 22:15
Congrats, akgunnut! :) I'm sure she'll jus' keep you smiling for a long time to come.

I met this wonderful lady about a year ago, and she's never skipped a beat! ;)
http://www.breakyourself.com/dropbox/pics/xd_pics/ar_mpubr1.jpg