PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Action 22lr's.

NYH1
12-03-17, 11:58
I'm thinking about getting a bolt action 22lr. I want a traditional heavy barrel rifle for target shooting as well as for limited small game hunting and pest control. I've looked at the Savage Mark II BV (https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBV), Marlin XT-22VR (https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/xt-series/model-xt-22vr) and Ruger American Rimfire Target (http://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html) so far. I'm not really leaning towards any one of them over the other at this point. Just like to get opinions on them and maybe other similar models.

Thanks, NYH1.

Campbell
12-03-17, 12:25
I would add CZ to your list.

glocktogo
12-03-17, 12:40
I have a Savage Mark II FV-SR and love it. The accuracy is excellent and so is the trigger. The only knock is the factory stock, but I replaced it with a Boyd's. I'd shy away from current production Marlins personally and I have no experience with the Ruger. I'd echo adding the CZ if it's within your budget.

SeriousStudent
12-03-17, 13:18
I have read good things about the Savage 22's.

I own a suppressed CZ 455 Tacticool, and love it. We spent yesterday at the range with it, and had to pry the kids off it with a crowbar.

I got mine from these folks, they get them periodically: http://tooeleshootingsupply.com/

user
12-03-17, 13:29
Another CZ 455 vote here. Really nice rifle. Great shooter. If you haven’t, try and shoot both.

Coal Dragger
12-03-17, 14:51
Add CZ to the list, for the money they’re hard to beat. Beyond a CZ a field grade Anschutz might be worth a look if a deal can be found.

I have a Cooper 57M that has been outstanding, but admittedly is probably more $$$ than most would spend on a rimfire.

NYH1
12-03-17, 16:39
I don't know much about CZ. Have to check them out.

Just took my son to the Bass Pro Shop. They had a few Savages. I fondled them and really like them and their accu-trigger (I think they call it. Overall the rifles seemed well made.

Thanks, NYH1.

wahoo95
12-03-17, 18:18
CZ 455 Varmint

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NYH1
12-03-17, 18:57
wahoo, I looked at that rifle on CZ's web site. It looks really sharp, nice clean classic looking style. How's it compare to the Savage?

Thanks, NYH1.

sva01
12-03-17, 19:22
Savage and CZ are both great choices. If I were a wealthier man I'd own a CZ but Savage is a great value when you factor what they cost to how they shoot...

gunnerblue
12-03-17, 19:32
I’d go with a CZ or Ruger (especially if you have a 10/22 as they share magazines). I’ve had a Weatherby-marked Anshultz which is essentially a Field Grade. If you can find a good deal on one they are a better rifle overall with respect to fit and finish, trigger and accuracy. I only sold it as it was a .17 HMR and I decided to stick with .22 LR for my rimfire needs.

If I ever live in an area with more abundant small game hunting again, I’ll be picking up a Cooper 57M.

tb-av
12-03-17, 19:38
I have read good things about the Savage 22's.

I own a suppressed CZ 455 Tacticool, and love it. We spent yesterday at the range with it, and had to pry the kids off it with a crowbar.

I got mine from these folks, they get them periodically: http://tooeleshootingsupply.com/

Have you ever had your bolt come out when you cycle it?

I got a Tacticool as well and mine will often, as in every time I shoot it, let the bolt slide out. I know that could happen if I was lazy with my finger touching the trigger and I believe is the trigger spring was too light. But I haven't adjusted anything. My friend was convinced I must touching the trigger, so I even went so far to shoot left handed and even saying out loud "finger off". Sure enough the bolt flies out.

I really like the rifle and have actually bought some replacement springs for it. also my bolt in really tight. The Lift. i watched some YT vids of a guy radiusing a few areas to solve that but again haven't done anything. I also get some feed issues which maybe is the ammo but I can't seem to get through a mag without an issue. I know sometimes I have pulled the bolt too slowly trying to figure the bolt issue and that leave a case then messes up the next round.. Anyway, I still really like the rifle and need to fix these issues but I've never really heard of anyone that has had this sort of thing happen.

I'm wondering if there is some area I should specifically check or should I think about sending it back to CZ.

SeriousStudent
12-03-17, 19:45
Interesting, I have not had that issue.

I would definitely give CZ a call, and ask their advice. From all the reports I have read, they seem to be very responsive.

Pappabear
12-03-17, 19:56
I bought a Savage bull barrel, fluted , threaded and dropped it in a Boyds stock for less than $300. Great gun. Not my Annie, but a great gun and takes a suppressor.

tb-av
12-03-17, 19:56
sounds good. I've tried to posts and vids and there is nothing much out there. One guy sells a spring kit for $10 and then it's basically just shoot it. I haven't so far seen one mention of the issues I've had. Also bought new and the box didn't look like it fell of a building or anything. Mostly various CCI ammo thus far.

tb-av
12-03-17, 19:58
So what sort of scopes do you guys like for these bolt .22lr? I need something with some power for my old eyes.

NYH1
12-03-17, 20:05
Bass Pro had mostly 17 HMR (if that's right) in stock. I want a regular 22 lr. I guess it's good that they had them because they're the same size as 22 lr's so at least I got to hold some of them. I have my friend (FFL) order pretty much all my firearms anyways. I don't know If I'll be able to hold any CZ's though. Not that big around here for some reason.

NYH1.

NYH1
12-03-17, 20:08
So what sort of scopes do you guys like for these bolt .22lr? I need something with some power for my old eyes.
I'm probably gonna go with a Leupold 3-9x40mm Rimfire Scope.

NYH1.

tb-av
12-03-17, 20:12
I don't know If I'll be able to hold any CZ's though. Not that big around here for some reason.

NYH1.

I couldn't find any down here either. Must be an east coast thing. luckily one day the largest private store around had one of the Tacticool but they wanted full MSRP. I just waited and found a good sale price mail order.

gunnerblue
12-03-17, 21:47
I'm probably gonna go with a Leupold 3-9x40mm Rimfire Scope.

NYH1.

That’s what I still have. I still think it is the scope to beat for a rimfire sporter.

Coal Dragger
12-03-17, 22:27
Bass Pro had mostly 17 HMR (if that's right) in stock. I want a regular 22 lr. I guess it's good that they had them because they're the same size as 22 lr's so at least I got to hold some of them. I have my friend (FFL) order pretty much all my firearms anyways. I don't know If I'll be able to hold any CZ's though. Not that big around here for some reason.

NYH1.

Don’t rule out the CZ 455 Combo. A bit more $$$ but an absolute screaming deal on high quality kit. I still kick myself for passing one up when it was on sale.

Basically you get the rifle, two barrels, and two magazines. One each in .22LR and .17HMR. Covers a lot of bases on one platform.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-american-combo-22-lr-17-hmr-5-rd-mags/

Coal Dragger
12-03-17, 22:30
That’s what I still have. I still think it is the scope to beat for a rimfire sporter.

I run a 2.5-8X36 Leupold VX-III on my 57M. So a 3-9X40 is also about right.

That rig is a rabbit murdering sumbitch. A few years ago I played a game with my buddies to see who could get the most clean head shots on bunnies. They never stood a chance. The Cooper being fed CCI Velocitors is a rabbit death ray.

NYH1
12-03-17, 22:38
I always try to buy Leupold if possible. I had an issue with one of their scopes. I sent it back the week before hunting season opened. Told them my season was getting close. I talked to them that Friday, the season opened the following Monday. The scope was at my door the next afternoon (Saturday). From Oregon to New York on their dime, good as new, less then 24 hours. I'll never forget that.

NYH1.

Campbell
12-03-17, 22:40

I’m using the same on my 455. Makes for a well balanced sporter with the suppressor mounted.

NYH1
12-03-17, 22:47
Don’t rule out the CZ 455 Combo. A bit more $$$ but an absolute screaming deal on high quality kit. I still kick myself for passing one up when it was on sale.

Basically you get the rifle, two barrels, and two magazines. One each in .22LR and .17HMR. Covers a lot of bases on one platform.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-american-combo-22-lr-17-hmr-5-rd-mags/
I'm sure that's a good deal. I want a heavy barrel rifle. I don't want to get into swapping barrels. Then you gotta re-zero your scope. That's not what I'm looking for. The 455 Varmint might be something I'm interested in if I can find one to handle.

Thanks, NYH1.

czgunner
12-03-17, 23:23
The cz is a fantastic quality rifle. I’ve got a 452. Not much available for a lefty like myself. Just hold a savage, Ruger, and cz and you can feel the difference.

Coal Dragger
12-04-17, 01:33
I'm sure that's a good deal. I want a heavy barrel rifle. I don't want to get into swapping barrels. Then you gotta re-zero your scope. That's not what I'm looking for. The 455 Varmint might be something I'm interested in if I can find one to handle.

Thanks, NYH1.

Frankly unless position target shooting is on the agenda, like NRA small bore, there is very little advantage to a heavy barrel .22LR. My Cooper 57M sporter is just as accurate if not more so than my Kimber M82 Govt' Target with a 25" bull barrel.

Pappabear
12-04-17, 09:03
I think some perspective might be useful here, my 22LR bull barrel is lbs lighter than my hunting guns with #4 Krieger custom barrels.

T2C
12-04-17, 09:18
I owned a Savage MKII BV and currently own two other Savage heavy barrel rifles. They all shoot tight groups at 50 meters with target ammunition and reasonably well with hollow points. It is not unusual to shoot 1/3" groups at 50 meters with target ammunition. Ringing 8" steel at 200 meters is doable with good ammunition on a light or no wind day.

I own a CZ 452 LUX and it shoots almost as well as the Savages. The rear sight is regulated well out to 150 meters.

Rayrevolver
12-04-17, 10:35

I ended up with a Nikon P223 3-9x. About $125 used, new closer to $175.

With its BDC reticle and the Nikon app on my phone, I was able to sight in at 40m and shoot a competition out to 100m. It was pretty slick, and considering all the different 22 ammo I have, a nice feature.

Savage FVSR owner as well. Even with Bucket O Bullets it shot a little over 2" at 50yards, with 7 rounds touching inside 1". I shot Wolf Match at the steel comp and hope it would all stay together at 1", but have not shot paper with it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-04-17, 10:44
Have you ever had your bolt come out when you cycle it?

I got a Tacticool as well and mine will often, as in every time I shoot it, let the bolt slide out. I know that could happen if I was lazy with my finger touching the trigger and I believe is the trigger spring was too light. But I haven't adjusted anything. My friend was convinced I must touching the trigger, so I even went so far to shoot left handed and even saying out loud "finger off". Sure enough the bolt flies out.

I really like the rifle and have actually bought some replacement springs for it. also my bolt in really tight. The Lift. i watched some YT vids of a guy radiusing a few areas to solve that but again haven't done anything. I also get some feed issues which maybe is the ammo but I can't seem to get through a mag without an issue. I know sometimes I have pulled the bolt too slowly trying to figure the bolt issue and that leave a case then messes up the next round.. Anyway, I still really like the rifle and need to fix these issues but I've never really heard of anyone that has had this sort of thing happen.

I'm wondering if there is some area I should specifically check or should I think about sending it back to CZ.

There are some threads on The Hide and Rimfire Central about CZs bolt flying out. After about 2k rounds mine did that, but I had the “Yo Dave” trigger springs installed, so I didn’t blame CZ. I started to try to figure out the exact issue, but then I solved it by installing the Timmeny trigger. I had more money than time.

sounds good. I've tried to posts and vids and there is nothing much out there. One guy sells a spring kit for $10 and then it's basically just shoot it. I haven't so far seen one mention of the issues I've had. Also bought new and the box didn't look like it fell of a building or anything. Mostly various CCI ammo thus far.

“Yo Dave” trigger works for a lot of people and is a cheap way to get a CZ trigger to where it needs to be. This CZ455 VPT is my sons and he runs the bolt hard and fast, which might have contributed to the bolt retaining issue. I’ve tried to get him to run the gun smoother, but he can run the snot out of it- fast and accurate- so I don’t have as much traction with him.

A CZ, with a trigger mod (YoDave or Timmeny), DIP rail, SS 10x42, and some Wolf Match Extra has been hard to beat. Better ammo only starts to really show benefits past 125 yards or so as the deviation in MV starts to impact POI. There is some kind of gremlin that lives at about 175m that likes to push 22lr around, of course, they don’t put all those windmills out here in Colorado because it is so still.

tb-av
12-04-17, 11:47
A CZ, with a trigger mod (YoDave or Timmeny), DIP rail, SS 10x42, and some Wolf Match Extra has been hard to beat. Better ammo only starts to really show benefits past 125 yards or so as the deviation in MV starts to impact POI. There is some kind of gremlin that lives at about 175m that likes to push 22lr around, of course, they don’t put all those windmills out here in Colorado because it is so still.

That's what I bought.. the Yo Dave. I had to set it aside and couldn't remember the name. I've heard several speak highly of the DIP products as well.

I'll install the Yo Dave and see how things go. I sort of hate to call CZ knowing I was going to change that stuff out anyway.

so you guys only go to about 9 to 10X. I have a very weak right eye. I'm heavily opposite eye dominant. I would prefer to shoot righty but often end up just switching to lefty. I -think- the scope my friend has is like 8X max and I feel like I need way more. Now his is just a cheap scope that came as a package deal on a Savage I believe. Actually the first scope broke and they replaced it with a slightly better one.

But I was watching this guy....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGeoVHTWZwQ
Sightron SIII 10-50 x 60mm - Mil Dot Reticle, Second Focal Plane --- `1K$

Now he says he mostly leaves it on 24X

Then in Reply... the actual LRSoU user:

The majority of the shooters in this match shoot SWFA optics because the quality to price point is superior. On a tight budget I would recommend their fixed power optics like the 16 or 20 power ($300) . The next step up is their 3-15 variable power ($599) then I believe they have a 5-20 (not sure but I'm guess $7-900. At that point I'd suggest sightron Sii over the SWFA. YOu ahve to understand that the requirements for the 22 match are unique. We need an optic that focuses down below 25 yards which is rare. It's also an advantage to have great magnification because we're shooting tiny targets like playing cards sideways, toothpicks. Etc. 

I'm wondering if I should be looking for a 3-15 or 5-20 used. I just feel like because of my eyes I may want/need something in the 12-20 range.

NYH1
12-04-17, 13:01
thanks guys!

NYH1.

tigershilone
12-04-17, 17:32
I'm thinking about getting a bolt action 22lr. I want a traditional heavy barrel rifle for target shooting as well as for limited small game hunting and pest control. I've looked at the Savage Mark II BV (https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBV), Marlin XT-22VR (https://www.marlinfirearms.com/rimfire/xt-series/model-xt-22vr) and Ruger American Rimfire Target (http://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/models.html) so far. I'm not really leaning towards any one of them over the other at this point. Just like to get opinions on them and maybe other similar models.

Thanks, NYH1.

Of the three listed I'd go in this order

1)Savage (odds are good you get a very accurate barrel and trigger, cons of known extractor problems and mag lips loosen dumping ammo all over)
2)Ruger (great magazine, decent action, see a few at NRA silhouette matches. Cons, not known for their triggers and barrels are hit and miss as to accuracy)
3)Marlin (I dont have real world experience with this one, but Marlin is under the Freedom Group irrc, never see one at any matches I go to)

These are all in the $400 +/-100 area. As has been all ready suggested I'd look very hard at a CZ 452(threaded action, no longer in production) or 455(slip fit action, current production) Varmint or tactical(threaded muzzle) models. The CZ American has a standard profile barrel that is lighter and some are threaded. I have a 4 year old 455 tacticool that has about 6k through it now and have been very pleased with it. The build quality on the CZ's are great and in my opinion are a big step up from the 3 you have listed. The con I have seen (2 on a sample size of 11 CZ's I see regularly) is the bolt can have the "pull out" issue. The trigger unit is also the bolt retainer and the ramp bevel was incorrect. One was replaced on warranty by CZ the other the guy replaced trigger with aftermarket unit.

Going up the price ladder in the $700-$1100 arena gets you into the Anschutz 64 action or used 54 action or Suhl rifles. These are the German BMWs / Mercedes of the bolt action rimfire world. Very nice stocks and actions that are very smooth and triggers that phenomenal and accurate barrels.

$1500+ (more like 2k+) starts to open the door to the higher end Anschutz 54 actions, Remington 40x (out of production) conversions, custom guns and a new interesting kid on the block, Vudoo Gun Works (making new Defiant style stainless actions specific to 22 oriented PRS trainers using R700 stock pattern and custom AICS mags)

The NRA 22 silhouette crowd is standing unsupported offhand with weight classes shooting at steel 45-110 yard ranges. Essentially it is the standing squirrel gun shooter group, and some of them are way to competitive with way too much $$$. However you get to see a lot of different brands and what works and what fails. The preferred set up for this group is a Anschutz 54 action with a light sporter barrel with a Leupold 6-18 VX2/3 scope, about a $3k setup new. I get some smirks when I show up with the CZ455 or a Kidd10/22, but I dont care about that as it is a contest with myself and my abilities.

austinN4
12-05-17, 07:19
Might of missed but didn't see this posted: $50 rebate on Savage Mark IIs thru Dec 31
http://www.savagearms.com/downloads/SA232_Fall2017RimfirePromo_Coupon_Final.pdf

NYH1
12-05-17, 10:36
austin, thanks.

NYH1.

0uTkAsT
12-05-17, 11:00
We really love our MkII FVSR, but its on the heavy side for my wife and way too beefy for my young daughter. The LOP on the Boyd's stock is also too long for the little one. I wish Savage made a threaded Rascal, or Ruger would make the American Rimfire Compact in a 16" threaded version with a lighter barrel profile for littler kids.

https://i.imgur.com/XrOuOVp.jpg

glocktogo
12-05-17, 11:22
We really love our MkII FVSR, but its on the heavy side for my wife and way too beefy for my young daughter. The LOP on the Boyd's stock is also too long for the little one. I wish Savage made a threaded Rascal, or Ruger would make the American Rimfire Compact in a 16" threaded version with a lighter barrel profile for littler kids.

https://i.imgur.com/XrOuOVp.jpg

That's the exact same stock I put on mine and while it greatly improves the balance, the gun is quite hefty for a .22. I think they could've gotten away with a lighter contour barrel and it would be better. Mine wears a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14X42 AO that I got on sale. It's a ragged one holer at 50 yards with Fiocchi 40gr subsonic HPs.

0uTkAsT
12-05-17, 11:36
That's the exact same stock I put on mine and while it greatly improves the balance, the gun is quite hefty for a .22. I think they could've gotten away with a lighter contour barrel and it would be better. Mine wears a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14X42 AO that I got on sale. It's a ragged one holer at 50 yards with Fiocchi 40gr subsonic HPs.
Yes, it balances very well for me and puts 10 rounds through the same hole with a few different CCI loads at 50 yards. I'm very happy with it, but the laminate stock with a pretty long LOP and low comb is too heavy and ill-fitting for the girls, and the barrel certainly doesn't need to be as stout as it is.

Savage would do well if they threaded the Rascal, and even better if they made a magazine-fed version of it.

NYH1
12-08-17, 19:13
Called a place today to see if they had the Savage. I told him the Mark II BV 22 lr. He said they had one for $219.99, good price. We stopped by one place and got my son his Marlin 336C 30-30 Win.

Then went to pick up the Savage. We get there and they say "we have a Mark II but it's not the BV". I was pissed. Drove all the way across the county to get something I specifically asked if they had, which they said they did....and they didn't.

https://image.spreadshirtmedia.com/image-server/v1/mp/products/P110824943T812A2MPC121513850PA1663PT17/views/1,width=1200,height=630,appearanceId=2,backgroundColor=E8E8E8,modelId=115,crop=design,version=1497427704/black-i-hate-stupid-people-men-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

tb-av
12-08-17, 20:00
At 45% off list, I think I would have to have them verify it over the phone. Still sucks, but that is more than a 'good price'. That is a 'too good to be true' price.

Rayrevolver
12-08-17, 20:50
Yes, it balances very well for me and puts 10 rounds through the same hole with a few different CCI loads at 50 yards. I'm very happy with it, but the laminate stock with a pretty long LOP and low comb is too heavy and ill-fitting for the girls, and the barrel certainly doesn't need to be as stout as it is.

Savage would do well if they threaded the Rascal, and even better if they made a magazine-fed version of it.

Not sure if this fits the bill. But its a package with scope/bipod and the description is "youth" stock.

https://www.milehighshooting.com/crickett-cpr-01536-cpr-22lr-bl-tan-package-crickett-precision-rifle/?utm_source=Mile+High+Shooting&utm_campaign=ff791f882f-MH_veteransday_sale_2017_11_10&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_3942a16120-ff791f882f-310573237&mc_cid=ff791f882f&mc_eid=94d65707b7

NYH1
12-09-17, 11:29
At 45% off list, I think I would have to have them verify it over the phone. Still sucks, but that is more than a 'good price'. That is a 'too good to be true' price.
I called to see if they had one in stock, they said they did if fact have one in stock....can't verify it anymore then that.

Having a hard time finding the Savage. Bass Pro has a Savage 93R17GV 17hmr for $279. It's a heavy barrel wood stock with accu-trigger. It's nice but I want a 22lr. A lot of bolt action 17 hmr and 22 wmr's to chose from in my area. Not a lot of 22lr's.

NYH1.

tb-av
12-09-17, 13:33
I called to see if they had one in stock, they said they did if fact have one in stock....can't verify it anymore then that.

If MSRP is $410, Street is $350 and I call the LGS and he says $220. I say hang on can you verify that's the 123xyz model as they make several grade levels. He would likely come back and say it's Mk II but it's 456abc, a lesser grade.

Many of the 22lr bolt guns have very similar model numbers but considerably different grade levels. The fastest way to be sure everyone is on the same wave length is the price. No one is selling for 45% off list. Had he quoted you $375-$400 sure, you would think that must be the same rifle.

Anyway... here's one if you want to order. They are reputable seller.
https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/savage-arms/mark-ii-bv-rifle-22-lr-21in-hb-10rd-brown/ $350

$330 cash --- plus some sort of rebate possibly? $280???
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/24894/Firearms/Rifles/Savage/Savage+Rimfire/Savage+MKIIBV+22LR+AT+HB+LAM

$360
https://www.roysgunworks.com/SAVAGE-ARMS-Mark-II-BV-25700_p_22667.html

What you want to search for is....

Part Number: 25700
UPC: 062654257001

That way anyone you call can't get it mixed up. Just have them verify those numbers. Otherwise there is a very good chance the rifle will simply show up to them as Savage MK II

NYH1
12-09-17, 18:08
I was told by guys on another site (rime fire site) that Savage is trying to sell the Mark II models and are offering them at reduced prices. They said they're coming out or came out with a new(er) model, different magazine maybe, I have no idea.

I'll try this one more time.
I called and asked the guy that answered the phone if he could see if they had two specific rifles in stock. He asked want I was looking for. I said the first one is a Marlin 336C 30-30 Win. in stock. He said let me look in the case and see....no we don't have any 336C's in stock, just the 336W's. What is the other one you are looking for? I said a Savage Mark II BV 22 lr bolt action. Again, he said let me look in the case. Said yes, we have one for $219.99. I said, it's the Mark II BV....he said yes....it's a Mark II BV.

As far as getting something for 45% off list. I bought my Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x50mm Scope list $1299.99 for $849.99 new in the box from one of the companies you just left me a link for! Sometimes deals are out there. That's why we went to the store as soon as we did.

Popping smoke and exfiling, NYH1.

tb-av
12-09-17, 18:22
Just trying to save you some time, tread, and money. By all means good luck though. Hope you get a great deal.

Also here is the "discount" the other guys are likely talking about. It's not really a dealer discount, it's a rebate. Good for $50 on a Mark II ... only lasts a couple more weeks.

NYH1
12-10-17, 09:32
Just trying to save you some time, tread, and money. By all means good luck though. Hope you get a great deal.

Also here is the "discount" the other guys are likely talking about. It's not really a dealer discount, it's a rebate. Good for $50 on a Mark II ... only lasts a couple more weeks.

Thanks, NYH1.

J-Dub
12-29-17, 20:09
Dont know if op has decided, but the new Ruger Precision Rimfire looks sweet for a trainer.

Biggy
12-30-17, 17:53
Some info on the new Ruger Precision rifle coming out. I think once these are out awhile, the price should settle between $350. to $380. With other small calibers to probably follow at some point, Ruger will probably sell a bunch of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_MB648eW_s

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEVyjWJkhapfcAd7JXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyYzFyYWQ2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMzBHZ0aWQDVUkyQzNfMQRzZWMDc3I-/RV=2/RE=1514706774/RO=10/RU=http%3a%2f%2fwww.thetruthaboutguns.com%2f2017%2f12%2ffoghorn%2fruger-introduces-precision-rimfire-rifle%2f/RK=2/RS=UCAWob7f4YqDGiw3i3Ko5IYxA0o-

Achilles11B
12-31-17, 12:45
I’m excited about the Ruger Precision Rimfire. I think it’ll be a good trainer and also something fun and cheap to feed to take for a range day.

NYH1
12-31-17, 16:27
I ended up getting the Savage Mark II BV (https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBV). It's be a while before I shoot it. Gotta get some glass for it. Having our pole barn built right now so I'll wait til it's done.

Thanks, NYH1.

T2C
12-31-17, 18:03
I ended up getting the Savage Mark II BV (https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBV). It's be a while before I shoot it. Gotta get some glass for it. Having our pole barn built right now so I'll wait til it's done.

Thanks, NYH1.

I owned a Savage Mark II BV for several years. It was incredibly accurate with 40g Wolf Match Target ammunition. A shooting buddy hounded me until I sold it to him after he broke 10 out of 10 mini clay pigeons laying on their sides at 100 yards with it.

J-Dub
12-31-17, 18:17
I owned a Savage Mark II BV for several years. It was incredibly accurate with 40g Wolf Match Target ammunition. A shooting buddy hounded me until I sold it to him after he broke 10 out of 10 mini clay pigeons laying on their sides at 100 yards with it.

I second wolf mt, and will add eley match, elely target, rws target, and for some reason Remington subsonics. All have proved to be dime shooters (5-10rd groups) at 50yds. And on a calm day moa at 100yds w/ 3 shot groups.

22lr requires good ammo for accuracy. I hate to say ive paid 19.99 for 50rds before.

glocktogo
12-31-17, 18:47
I second wolf mt, and will add eley match, elely target, rws target, and for some reason Remington subsonics. All have proved to be dime shooters (5-10rd groups) at 50yds. And on a calm day moa at 100yds w/ 3 shot groups.

22lr requires good ammo for accuracy. I hate to say ive paid 19.99 for 50rds before.

Wait, you got remmy subs to print actual groups and not patterns? :blink:

austinN4
12-31-17, 19:47
I ended up getting the Savage Mark II BV (https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIBV).
Good choice. Hope you were able to buy it before the rebate expired.

J-Dub
01-01-18, 09:07
Wait, you got remmy subs to print actual groups and not patterns? :blink:

Yup. Its bizzare. I still only hunt with the eley sub sonic hp's. Rabbitos dont like them, but my MKII does.

NYH1
01-01-18, 16:02
Thanks guys.

NYH1.

DEFTI
01-06-18, 07:59
$1500+ (more like 2k+) starts to open the door to the Remington 40x (out of production) conversions, custom guns and a new interesting kid on the block, Vudoo Gun Works (specific to 22 oriented PRS trainers using R700 stock pattern and custom AICS mags)

Hi Guys, just finding this thread. If anyone has questions about either of these two options (I designed/created the more popular/widely used 40X Repeater conversion and the Vudoo V-22 Bolt Action) feel free to reach out. I'll monitor the forum and make myself available.

MB

DEFTI
01-06-18, 09:18
If you're going to SHOT, look for us in the following booths:

XLR Industries--7109
Timney Triggers--1411
Manners Stocks--20005
GA Precision--20005
Hawkins Precision--343
Mile High Shooting--7502
Amtac Suppressors--4462

MB

tigershilone
01-06-18, 17:19
Hi Guys, just finding this thread. If anyone has questions about either of these two options (I designed/created the more popular/widely used 40X Repeater conversion and the Vudoo V-22 Bolt Action) feel free to reach out. I'll monitor the forum and make myself available.

MB

OP wound up getting a Savage Mark II BV. It was a great choice for his budget and application and opens the road to a lot of .22 fun and is also capable for a lot of matches.

If I was still looking for a high end bolt .22 repeater I'd open another thread exploring more options in the $1200-3500 category (anschutz MSR54 or 64, high end CZ work, stiller2500, 40x/V22) but I've all ready put $ down a precision SS bolt action with a controlled round feed that doesn't utilize a feed ramp and dent the soft lead upon insertion into the chamber. I am expecting one of your products in late january. ;)

ChattanoogaPhil
01-06-18, 17:32
FV-SR 300yd suppressed plinker.
40moa base by EGW. SWFA fixed 16x.

https://i.imgur.com/LlUWLW6.jpg

vitiaz
01-06-18, 23:29
Anshutz

JaegerOne
01-07-18, 02:00
If you can wait a couple of months, Tikka is bringing one to market that looks good.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-09-18, 16:04
OP wound up getting a Savage Mark II BV. It was a great choice for his budget and application and opens the road to a lot of .22 fun and is also capable for a lot of matches.

If I was still looking for a high end bolt .22 repeater I'd open another thread exploring more options in the $1200-3500 category (anschutz MSR54 or 64, high end CZ work, stiller2500, 40x/V22) but I've all ready put $ down a precision SS bolt action with a controlled round feed that doesn't utilize a feed ramp and dent the soft lead upon insertion into the chamber. I am expecting one of your products in late january. ;)

Can't wait to see it! The V22 is controlled feed? I didn't realize it. I really want to see one.

There is also a 22lr RPR from Ruger coming out.

DEFTI
01-09-18, 16:15
Can't wait to see it! The V22 is controlled feed? I didn't realize it. I really want to see one.

There is also a 22lr RPR from Ruger coming out.

Yep, the V-22 is CRF, not uncommon for 22LR platforms, so is the 1911.

MB

tigershilone
01-09-18, 22:19
Yea there are a lot of great options coming out for .22 in addition to the great stuff all ready out there.

Right now I'm being torn 6 ways, between the CZ455, Kidds, ruger10/22, a T3 action and the upcoming V22 I'm also chasing a martini. The the new ruger precision and tikka also look to be great midrange offerings. Gonna have to find some more rimfire matches. Still waiting for the 2018 Appleseed schedule to be released.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-10-18, 02:34
It is great to have all these options now. I'm getting a hankering for a JP 22lr upper.

How old are your kids to shoot in the appleseed? Little Hand and I went down for one of Hoser's matches last year- in 40mph winds. That is a haul though and getting back up I-25 through the Springs afterwards is a PITA. My son is liking the carbine matches, and I just saw that they will continue later this year with a new MD. That has cut into our 22lr and my plans to move into PRS. He can run and AR like a pro, and even runs my LMT-MWS. Not bad for a 12yo.

DEFTI
01-10-18, 18:24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=kkk90kGF6WU&app=desktop

MB

Alex V
01-10-18, 21:16
If you can wait a couple of months, Tikka is bringing one to market that looks good.

I love my Tac A1 and seeing the news on the T1x does peak my interest. I wanted to pick up a .22lr as a trainer and for just plain old plinking fun. The T1x looks like a winner

shiv
02-03-18, 04:38
From those that have handled the Tikka, they say it will be worth the wait. While I’m CZ heavy, I may pick one up to run suppressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

czgunner
02-03-18, 10:05
Any chance that tikka will be available left handed?

tb-av
02-03-18, 12:26
Of all the features they mention in the vids... 'lefty' is not one of them.

tigershilone
02-03-18, 14:52
Of all the features they mention in the vids... 'lefty' is not one of them.

Tikka reps at shot show were battered for the following: left hand, 22mag, stainless, wood stock.

So they are aware of the wish list items.

The fact that the Tx1 will fit in the Tx3 inletting is huge. You can literally run the exact same chassis/stock combo for your centerfire and rimfire. The bolt looks to be a full size item, not reduced for rimfire, that will be interesting. Tikka and Sako barrels are made on the same machinery, this is looking better and better.

czgunner
02-03-18, 15:40
Tikka reps at shot show were battered for the following: left hand, 22mag, stainless, wood stock.

So they are aware of the wish list items.

The fact that the Tx1 will fit in the Tx3 inletting is huge. You can literally run the exact same chassis/stock combo for your centerfire and rimfire. The bolt looks to be a full size item, not reduced for rimfire, that will be interesting. Tikka and Sako barrels are made on the same machinery, this is looking better and better.

Wow, that is awesome.
I’ll just keep hoping they do a southpaw.

NYH1
09-20-18, 15:19
I finally shot my new Savage today. Shoots pretty good. I put a Leupold 2-7x28mm rimfire scope on it (gonna put a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40mm Adj. Opt. on it eventually.

I shot CCI Stingers (32 gr. 1640 fps), CCI Mini-Mags (40 gr. 1235 fps) and Winchester Super X HP's (40 gr. 1280 fps).

Zeroed it at 50 yds. Group sizes were all about the same for all three loads.

At 50 yds.
.75" to 1". A little smaller at 25 yds. with elevation being about the same as 50 yds.

At 100 yds.
I only shot the Stingers and Super X's, groups were 1" to 1.25" (really good since my eye's aren't the best). The Stringers were about 1 to 1.5" low. The Super X's were 4 to 5 inches low.

NYH1.

Pappabear
09-20-18, 15:24
That’s solid shooting and results. For Savage price point, hard to beat

NYH1
09-20-18, 16:21
That’s solid shooting and results. For Savage price point, hard to beat
Yeah, I'm happy with it. Like most of my guns, they'll shoot better then I can shoot them.

I just looked at my target while I was in my truck. At 100 yds. the Stingers were about an inch low and the Super X's were about three inches low. Don't know why I thought they were lower.

NYH1.

HMsailor
10-12-18, 11:45
had a marlin bolt action 22lr. got rid of it.

Uni-Vibe
10-12-18, 21:07
Avoid the CZ American. I bought one. Receiver was .machined wrong. Bolt would not fit in receiver. There was a burr in the bore that scratched a cleaning rod. Never got it to fire a shot. Funny thing: there was a target in the box that claimed my rifle shot a tiny group. I wondered how it did that with a bolt that wouldn't fit, and a burr in the bore. CZ magic?

czgunner
10-12-18, 23:10
Avoid the CZ American. I bought one. Receiver was .machined wrong. Bolt would not fit in receiver. There was a burr in the bore that scratched a cleaning rod. Never got it to fire a shot. Funny thing: there was a target in the box that claimed my rifle shot a tiny group. I wondered how it did that with a bolt that wouldn't fit, and a burr in the bore. CZ magic?

I’m sorry for your bad experience, but I don’t think that is common. I think most people are very happy with the CZ rifles.

Uni-Vibe
10-13-18, 01:22
I’m sorry for your bad experience, but I don’t think that is common. I think most people are very happy with the CZ rifles.

Perhaps they are. I didn't have that big a problem with the failure. The rifle only cost me about $500, if I remember correctly (it was a while back). What set me off about CZ was the target in the box with my gun's serial number written on it. I've never figured out how a gun whose bolt won't fit into the receiver all the way could have fired any shots, let alone a tiny group as the target depicted. I think CZ must have been kidding.

Don Quijote
10-13-18, 20:51

An example of one is absolutely zero reason to avoid a proven rifle from a quality manufacturer.

Using your logic, you must walk or ride a horse wherever you go because there is no automobile manufacturer in the world that hasn't had at least one defective car leave the factory.

Tx_Aggie
10-13-18, 22:07
Perhaps they are. I didn't have that big a problem with the failure.

You didn't have a big problem, but today you stated in another thread that you "put the gun in the trash where it belonged" rather than give CZ an opportunity to fix it.

I'm guessing it's the same rifle you discuss here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?33826-Weird-problems-with-brand-new-CZ-452

I particularly like the part where you let a "gunsmith" at Gander Mountian use a pair of pliers on the bolt to try to "make it fit," and when he failed you decided the gun was a total loss. This was after he advised you to only clean the rifle from the muzzle, which apparently didn't raise any red flags for you either.

I can't say any of that is enough to taint my opinion of CZ firearms.

Don Quijote
10-14-18, 11:34
Gunsmith and Gander Mountain are mutually exclusive concepts

T2C
10-14-18, 20:58
Gunsmith and Gander Mountain are mutually exclusive concepts

Boy o Boy! That's a fact in our area. The "Gunsmith" at our local Gander Mountain was a great source of revenue for competent gunsmiths in our area for years. Correcting his work was a lucrative business.

ChattanoogaPhil
01-17-19, 08:17
---------------