PDA

View Full Version : Trade RRA M4 for Colt LE Carbine?

jimmyp
10-12-08, 17:34
I have the option of trading with some cash a RRA, chrome lined 1-9 16 inch barrel M4 style carbine with gas block front and TROY BUIS for a Colt LE Carbine. Is this trade a worthwhile endevor? The difference is $500.00 in Cash.

Grip
10-12-08, 17:40
is the colt new or used?

the $500 on top of the RRA seems kinda steep....maybe $200 and the RRA rifle for the colt.

No.6
10-12-08, 17:54
Worth the trade? Yes, depending on which Colt and what price. Wouldn't exceed about $300 myself. You might try selling the RRA outright.

jimmyp
10-12-08, 18:07
It is a brand new in box Colt LE Carbine.

VooDoo6Actual
10-12-08, 18:10
I would do it in a heartbeat...

jimmyp
10-13-08, 07:19
HOPLOETHOS I like the 1-7 barrel but don't know if its worth the $500 difference, the trigger on the RRA gun is better but the Colt feels a few ounces lighter, maybe the gas block front on my RRA and an added accesory rails adds to the weight more so than the A1 style front colt sight and M4 style handguards, I don't think the barrel profiles are any different.

rob_s
10-13-08, 07:31
$500 seems steep, until you do the math.

Not sure what RRA you have, so I'm going to just pick one and assume about $900 NIB. Given that I just saw a 6920 on the TOS EE for $1200 shipped, that's a $300 difference for NIB.

Assuming your gun is used, about the best you're going to get for it is $675 (or 75% of NIB). $1200-675=$525. So, you're saving $25 if you look at it that way. You *might* get $750 for yours used (although nothings selling right now, check the EE on all sites) which would still put the $500 cash right in the running.

rmecapn
10-13-08, 11:07
$500 seems steep, until you do the math.

Not sure what RRA you have, so I'm going to just pick one and assume about $900 NIB. Given that I just saw a 6920 on the TOS EE for $1200 shipped, that's a $300 difference for NIB.

Assuming your gun is used, about the best you're going to get for it is $675 (or 75% of NIB). $1200-675=$525. So, you're saving $25 if you look at it that way. You *might* get $750 for yours used (although nothings selling right now, check the EE on all sites) which would still put the $500 cash right in the running.

I would tend to agree, except he's got a $140 Troy BUIS on the RRA. And there's no mention of what brand of rail or front site is on the RRA.

bullitt5172
10-13-08, 12:13
I would tend to agree, except he's got a $140 Troy BUIS on the RRA. And there's no mention of what brand of rail or front site is on the RRA.

It is still a good trade. I think that Rob's $1200 is on the low side and the Troy may pull $100 used. It's a good deal on a Colt.

I might have missed it but is the Colt a 6920, 6721 or 6520??

forgiven
10-13-08, 14:35
I would trade the RRA for the Colt in a heartbeat - the amt. of cash is pretty steep though, I'd go around $300ish

R.Miksits
10-13-08, 14:56
Make sure the seal isnt broken on the Colt box. A friend of mine got a used colt for the price of a new one. It was a screwy deal all around.

Im with rob on this, it seems steep but it is a good deal.

I paid 1350 for my 6920 and 1550 for my 3 6921's

Rob

rubberneck
10-13-08, 15:22
Make sure the seal isnt broken on the Colt box. A friend of mine got a used colt for the price of a new one. It was a screwy deal all around.

When a dealer gets a gun in from the manufacturer he has to break the seal to ensure that the serial number on the box matches the gun.

jimmyp
10-13-08, 17:07
it is an open box, but I trust the dealer as far as honesty goes. I thought $500 was steep as well, and I am still thinking about it. My RRA has BUIS ( front and rear) The front sight is on a gas block.

the_accuser
10-13-08, 17:43
What exactly do you do with your rifle? Do you mainly punch paper or are you taking a bunch of tactical courses that you are really putting the weapon through it's paces? If the answer is the first one I would keep the RRA and spend the money on ammo or what not.

DocMinster
10-13-08, 18:21
What exactly do you do with your rifle? Do you mainly punch paper or are you taking a bunch of tactical courses that you are really putting the weapon through it's paces? If the answer is the first one I would keep the RRA and spend the money on ammo or what not.

What exactly is "what not"??? I have been looking for this elusive "What Not" since I was a kid ..I even looked in the new SEARS catologe...every year and ...Nada.

It must be the same place where you can purchase that hard to find Jackalope Hunting gear.
;):D

Doc

Bob RI
10-13-08, 18:50
I don't see the point...if your RRA functions great why bother? ...not to poo poo the Colt, they are a fine weapon.

GONIF
10-13-08, 18:57
Your rifle is used and the Colt is NIB. ask him how much he wants for the Colt without a trade ,if it's under $1250.00 buy the Colt and sell the RRA elsewhere .:D

forgiven
10-13-08, 20:55
Your rifle is used and the Colt is NIB. ask him how much he wants for the Colt without a trade ,if it's under $1250.00 buy the Colt and sell the RRA elsewhere .:D

Yup, $1,250 OTD would be my offer.

the_accuser
10-13-08, 22:20
What exactly is "what not"??? I have been looking for this elusive "What Not" since I was a kid ..I even looked in the new SEARS catologe...every year and ...Nada.

It must be the same place where you can purchase that hard to find Jackalope Hunting gear.
;):D

Doc

LOL...magazines, cleaning supplies, other firearms.

rljatl
10-13-08, 22:32
How about $500 and you get to keep the Troy BUIS?

R.Miksits
10-13-08, 23:43
When a dealer gets a gun in from the manufacturer he has to break the seal to ensure that the serial number on the box matches the gun.

Does he have to shoot it to make sure its a Colt too???

And no he doesnt, My dealer waits until a seriouse inquiry to check. When I picked up 4 Colts from him, none of the seals were broken till we checked to make sure they were right.

But he also had over 300 Colt Rifles instock, mostly 6920's and 6921's.

ETA: the shelf colts/ other rifles have also been the same rifles for 3 years.

Rob

rubberneck
10-14-08, 09:13
Does he have to shoot it to make sure its a Colt too???

And no he doesnt, My dealer waits until a seriouse inquiry to check. When I picked up 4 Colts from him, none of the seals were broken till we checked to make sure they were right.

But he also had over 300 Colt Rifles instock, mostly 6920's and 6921's.

ETA: the shelf colts/ other rifles have also been the same rifles for 3 years.

Rob

First of all I never said that they shoot the damn guns. Second of all it is your dealers legal obligation to ensure that the serial number on the guns matches what is in his book. If he wants to assume that Colt will never make a mistake than it's on him. Every good dealer I know makes sure that the gun they have in their hands matches the serial number in their book and you can't do that if you never open the box in the first place.

rob_s
10-14-08, 09:21
We always opened everything and verified. I had more than one gun not match the number on the box.

We pissed off a lot of collectors that way, but oh well. The best I could ever offer them was for them to show up on the day the gun arrived about the time that UPS showed up and I'd let them be the one to cut the seal.

bullitt5172
10-14-08, 12:51
We always opened everything and verified. I had more than one gun not match the number on the box.

We pissed off a lot of collectors that way, but oh well. The best I could ever offer them was for them to show up on the day the gun arrived about the time that UPS showed up and I'd let them be the one to cut the seal.

Same here, when I worked part time at the shop we HAD to verify every rifle/handgun/shotgun etc. Another reason that people should collect stamps, guns are for shootin' :D

User Name
10-14-08, 19:31
DOOO it! Be gone RRA.

R.Miksits
10-14-08, 20:59
He's has had several mis-matched guns and box's, typically one of two things happened, he found the rifle in his inventory within a week in a different box, or he simply called the Firearms manufacture and told them of the mistake and they corrected it, either shipping him a new box or he would return the rifle. He gets A TON of consecutive serial numbered guns so when theres a mistake he checks the boxes near the same serial number range.

He is a very large volume dealer so maybe hes different. Typically its impossible to get him to sell to civilians, or even in low numbers. I guess that could be the difference. I have literally seen 250 rifles leave his place overnight. I was lucky to get the 3 6921's I have when I did.

Back on track though, it still a trade worth entertaining I would personally do it.