PDA

View Full Version : Another 11-87 Thread

aclawrence
12-05-17, 11:17
So I was picking up a lower in my local FFL/Pawnshop the other day and a shotgun caught my eye. It was a Remington 11-87. I don't think it was a police model but looked like one with the 18 0r 20" barrel and extended tube. It may have been an express magnum. I know all the stink around Remington lately so I would be hesitant to buy, but it was priced at $249. This seems really low to me. I have an 870 Express Magnum that I turkey hunt with and I have had problems with it. I probably bought it 15 years ago and had some kind part fall out of the, bolt/ejector idk :D,I don't remember but it screwed the gun up and I had to get it fixed at a gunsmith. After reading through several threads lately it seems that most prefer an auto for defensive use. I can see where the short stroking a pump could be a real issue. I do have a couple Glocks and a DD rifle that are my primary defense weapons right now. In my home I would likely be wholed up in the back corner of my room waiting for someone to come in on me. I think a shotgun would be hard to beat for my personal house set up. Different weapons would be available for different situations. Do ya'll think it would be worth a gamble at that price? Unfortunately I do not really know what to look for when inspecting the gun.

26 Inf
12-05-17, 12:52
If you can get the barrel date code you could tell when it was manufactured. That might give you some idea of potential QC problems with a newer gun.

Here is where to find the barrel date code and how to interpret them: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/remington-barrel-date-codes-date-of-manufacture-2164.html

If the gun was manufactured later than 2013, it may not have a barrel date code.

Some guys love 1100's, some guys love 11-87's.

The 11-87 has a self-regulating gas system that will allow you to use different loads. Some folks claim that it won't cycle low brass target loads, ours (sample of one) did, and it was lights out with reduced recoil buck or slug.

$249.00 seems to be a pretty good price if it isn't beat to heck.

aclawrence
12-05-17, 13:12
Thanks for the link. I'll swing back by there and see if I can find any info on the gun to get me started.

5.56_30-06
12-19-17, 15:41
If you can get the barrel date code you could tell when it was manufactured. That might give you some idea of potential QC problems with a newer gun.

Here is where to find the barrel date code and how to interpret them: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/remington-barrel-date-codes-date-of-manufacture-2164.html

If the gun was manufactured later than 2013, it may not have a barrel date code.

Some guys love 1100's, some guys love 11-87's.

The 11-87 has a self-regulating gas system that will allow you to use different loads. Some folks claim that it won't cycle low brass target loads, ours (sample of one) did, and it was lights out with reduced recoil buck or slug.

$249.00 seems to be a pretty good price if it isn't beat to heck.

I picked up a used 11-87 parkerized Special Purpose Deer with a 20 inch rifle-sighted smooth barrel in 2008-ish. I think it's a great gun. One thing that might be worth checking is whether the trigger guard is plastic or aluminum. I believe an aluminum trigger guard/assembly means it was made back when they were making high quality guns.

Mine does NOT do a good job of cycling weak target loads by the way (as in it usually won't cycle them and I have to manually eject and load the next round), but I love the way it shoots. The gas system takes a lot of recoil out of even nasty 3'' buckshot loads. The only downside is that it is heavy compared to my 870. The gas system is not a lightweight feature.

5.56_30-06
12-19-17, 15:42
Btw, I paid a lot more than $249 for it, but it was a lightly used Parkerized model.

aclawrence
12-19-17, 16:19
Thanks. I’m still thinking of swinging back by and taking another look at it. I’ve spent most of my Christmas money already but where there’s a will there’s a way lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.56_30-06
12-19-17, 16:58
Thanks. I’m still thinking of swinging back by and taking another look at it. I’ve spent most of my Christmas money already but where there’s a will there’s a way lol.

Don't forget that if it's a black one, you can walk around with it with an air tank like Anton Chigurgh.

aclawrence
12-19-17, 18:00
Don't forget that if it's a black one, you can walk around with it with an air tank like Anton Chigurgh.

Man I wish I knew what your talking about. I’m guessing it’s a cool movie reference.

5.56_30-06
12-19-17, 18:14
Man I wish I knew what your talking about. I’m guessing it’s a cool movie reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKJiwcGvaqI

aclawrence
12-19-17, 18:15
Oh yeah I was wondering if that was it. That’s a bad dude and a great movie!

aclawrence
12-22-17, 12:44
Thread bump, I went back by the pawn shop and took another look at the 11-87. I forgot I was supposed to be looking for the barrel code and I took a picture of the serial number instead. The serial number starts with the letters PC if that’s helpful. Also it’s not an Express magnum, it says Special Purpose.

26 Inf
12-22-17, 17:03
Doesn't tell you much about year of mfg: Model 1187 LETTER PREFIX: 1987 TO PRESENT: “PC” 12 GA., 1999 “TL“ 20 GA., 2000 “SM” SUPER MAG.

You really need the barrel code.

This article might kind of help you date it: http://www.shootingtimes.com/remington-history/remington-timeline-1987-remington-model-11-87-autoloading-shotguns/

austinN4
12-22-17, 17:09
Thread bump, I went back by the pawn shop and took another look at the 11-87. I forgot I was supposed to be looking for the barrel code and I took a picture of the serial number instead. The serial number starts with the letters PC if that’s helpful. Also it’s not an Express magnum, it says Special Purpose.

http://www.rem870.com/2015/09/13/remington-1100-serial-number-lookup/
Your firearm was manufactured on June in one of these years: 2008, 1982, 1956, 1934

Or, if you prefer, call or email Remington:

"With the hundreds of different models produced over the past 200 years, it can sometimes be difficult to determine the age of your firearm. Since serial numbers were not required until 1968, your firearm may not have a serial number. For models without a serial number, we may be able to determine the age by the 2-3 letters that are stamped on the barrel. If your firearm does have a serial number, if you will call or email us the serial number and model number we can determine the approximate age of your firearm. Contact us by email or call us at 1-800-243-9700 Mon-Fri 9-5 EST.

aclawrence
12-22-17, 17:37
Thanks. I’m going to go back for the barrel code. It also has the metal trigger guard. If I have any Christmas money left over I think I’m going to go snatch it up.

Final update, I decided to pass on this shotgun. I still had a few things I want to finish up on my rifle before I move onto a new gun purchase. I did go back and look later and the shotgun had been sold. I think I made the right call this time. There will always be more deals to pop up.