PDA

View Full Version : It's Been Four Years Today Since We Lost Army Chief

Safetyhit
12-07-17, 08:18
As many of you remember we lost our dear friend Chuck (Army Chief) on this day four years ago. I had asked Sam to allow some of us to post in his old thread but he wisely suggested a new one, so here it is.

All I can really say is that guy stays with me always and I was blessed to call him a friend. Often when something good happens in my life I selfishly wonder if he may have played a small part, and I certainly always remember him though the hard times. Many here know that he set the standard for dealing with hardship, period end of story.

For anyone newer here who wants to read though an amazing set of circumstances, take a while to read the "Please Pray For..." thread locked at the top of the forum. That incredibly wise man came back from the dead and never once flinched in any way emotionally. He encouraged many of us in ways we will always remember with his strength and selflessness and with all due respect this place has never been the same without him.

There is a small network of us that came together as a result of Chuck and we talk often via a group text to this day. I know some of them will post here, but I hope others will too. Chuck was one of a kind, both as humble yet respectable as they come. I will always miss him.

Edit: Also while he probably would advise against I will clarify for our newer members that his full name was Charles David Petrie and his rank was the rare CW5. Not only was he a highly accomplished helicopter pilot who served several combat tours, he was also an advisor and speechwriter to generals as well as a great person and friend.

markm
12-07-17, 09:13
I wish I could have met him. He was always a high class dude when he would scold me for being a jackass here.

rero360
12-07-17, 09:22
H is most certainly missed, I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person but had communicated with him via PMs and the man was a wealth of knowledge and a true class act.

militarymoron
12-07-17, 10:34
I never had the honour of meeting Chuck face to face, but from our first email correspondence on 8/19/08, when he was still on active duty in Germany as the Aviation Assignments Manager for United States
Army, Europe, I found in him a kindred spirit with a great wealth of general knowledge, and a love of family. Also not common knowledge here, Chuck was the man behind the now defunct www.stormbirds.com website, which was a "A confederation of Luftwaffe-related web sites, providing reference-grade coverage of the Messerschmitt 262 and other advanced combat aircraft of the Third Reich."

Chuck set the standard as a moderator here on M4C. He chose the 'mentoring' method of moderation and is still the example I try to emulate. Always the gentleman, always humble, always respectful; that was our AC. He is missed.

NYH1
12-07-17, 11:44
AC was one of a kind!

NYH1.

Diamondback
12-07-17, 13:47
It was not my privilege to know AC, but having seen general patterns of behavior across a large number of Internet communities, you tend to have a few longtime or founding members in each that when they're Called Home they leave a hole that is never really filled, palpable even to those who come in years after their passing.

AC was one such person, and while I didn't know him I think I know enough *of* him to join the "We miss ya, man" chorus--M4C was blessed to have the time with him it did. :(

SteyrAUG
12-07-17, 16:43
Well said.

Outlander Systems
12-07-17, 17:04
Chuck was good people, and is absolutely missed.

NYH1
12-07-17, 17:44
Does anyone remain in contact with AC's family? If so, how are they doing? I remember him mentioning his oldest son being an artillery officer in the Army and his daughter got married or was about to be. Still had a son at home IIRC. I hope they're doing well.

NYH1.

Ryno12
12-07-17, 17:45
I wish I could have met him. He was always a high class dude when he would scold me for being a jackass here.

He did have your number there for awhile, but we did have some fun back then.
Ahh, the good ol days...

Certainly doesn’t seem that long ago.

His presence is definitely missed here, that’s for sure.

Safetyhit
12-07-17, 18:12
Does anyone remain in contact with AC's family? If so, how are they doing? I remember him mentioning his oldest son being an artillery officer in the Army and his daughter got married or was about to be. Still had a son at home IIRC. I hope they're doing well.

NYH1.

His wife Terri has remarried to a widower and by all accounts they are very happy together. His son you mention Matt is a member here and may chime in later, overall the family is well.

FlyingHunter
12-07-17, 19:02
He was such an asset for M4C. I miss chatting with him. Somehow, I wish we could require all new members here to read his document before they could post:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?70019-The-Good-The-Bad-and-The-Ugly-an-M4C-Style-Guide

lethal dose
12-07-17, 20:07
Performing my yearly sign in to pay my respects to Chief. Thanks for posting, SH. Chuck is certainly missed but his legacy lives on. The example he set through leadership, courage, humility, strength, and kindness is something that the majority here are quite familiar with and these are the reasons I have been privelaged with getting to know a few members from here over the last four years. These men have become dear friends to me. Thanks, Chief.

SeriousStudent
12-07-17, 20:59
If ever there was a person to emulate, Chuck was that person.

I still have all of his PM's and emails, just to re-read and peruse for guidance. He asked me to become a Mod here, and I stayed out of a sense of obligation.

He was a class act, that few will ever match.

CoryCop25
12-07-17, 21:05
Chuck rides with me every night in the form of a patch on my gear. I truly feel that he is watching over me. I have that feeling often.
I can also remember a time when one of us re-started a group text and inadvertently added Chuck's phone number, and someone replied! It turned out that his phone number had been re-assigned and we all apologized and all had to tell this random person what a great man Chuck was and that simply having his phone number was a badge of honor!

We all miss you Chuck!

Safetyhit
12-07-17, 21:22
Chuck rides with me every night in the form of a patch on my gear. I truly feel that he is watching over me. I have that feeling often.
I can also remember a time when one of us re-started a group text and inadvertently added Chuck's phone number, and someone replied! It turned out that his phone number had been re-assigned and we all apologized and all had to tell this random person what a great man Chuck was and that simply having his phone number was a badge of honor!

We all miss you Chuck!

Cory that gave me a good laugh. Was all Matt’s fault.

CoryCop25
12-07-17, 21:23
Cory that gave me a good laugh. Was all Matt’s fault.

I wasn't gong to mention names....... Ha!

Safetyhit
12-07-17, 21:42
Performing my yearly sign in to pay my respects to Chief. Thanks for posting, SH. Chuck is certainly missed but his legacy lives on. The example he set through leadership, courage, humility, strength, and kindness is something that the majority here are quite familiar with and these are the reasons I have been privelaged with getting to know a few members from here over the last four years. These men have become dear friends to me. Thanks, Chief.

He knew where you stood and clarified to me more than once. Don't think I ever told you that.

NYH1
12-07-17, 22:35
His wife Terri has remarried to a widower and by all accounts they are very happy together. His son you mention Matt is a member here and may chime in later, overall the family is well.
Good to know.

NYH1.

kwelz
12-08-17, 11:09
In a community with some amazing people he was a cut above the others. I only met him in person once but in the one weekend of shooting and chatting I had no question that he was a person to emulate.