PDA

View Full Version : Kudo's to the M4 Carbine Experts...

czydj
10-12-08, 19:40
Kudo's to the industry experts and other talented professionals who help us on this board. I'm trying to keep my mouth shut and learn much and I guess it paid off today. I was at the range breaking in a new BCM upper and there was another shooter there with a brand new M16 rifle that jammed on the first and second round ever chambered. Due to the training given on this board, I was able to help the new shooter check the bolt carrier, bolt and gas key to make sure everything was solid.

It all checked out OK except for one thing. The BCG and upper receiver was pretty much bone dry. The guy used a little Remoil, but nowhere near what I've seen described as appropriate here. I got out the squirt bottle of Weapon Shield and went to town. I stopped just short of dripping wet and slid the BCG and charging handle home. The guy chambered another round and was set to go. (Seeing as how I'm new at this, I backed up a good 10-15' in case the rifle went overly-ballistic)

What do you know, it worked! He was able to get through a few boxes of ammo with ZERO failures. I was able to save a fellow shooter a trip to the gunsmith for nothing and I might have sold some Weapon Shield to boot! Best of all, I got to use what I learned here to help someone out. For all the guys who take time to help the newbies out, I just want to say thanks. You made two shooters day today...

wichaka
10-12-08, 19:43
Good to hear you were able to help someone out!

Yep, keep the BC wet and they'll run for a very long time.

Jay Cunningham
10-12-08, 20:46
That is range story that I like to hear!

JBnTX
10-13-08, 10:04
Yep, keep the BC wet and they'll run for a very long time.

I'm up to 650 rounds in a Colt 6920 without cleaning or lubricating.
(was originally lubed with BreakFree CLP.)

It's beyond dirty. Way beyond dirty.

Safetyhit
10-13-08, 10:37

Despite it's functional ability, sounds like you should clean it asap regardless. Especially if shooting with Russian ammo.

For future functionality, as well as eliminating build-ups that are harder to remove.

RogerinTPA
10-13-08, 11:42
I'm up to 650 rounds in a Colt 6920 without cleaning or lubricating.
(was originally lubed with BreakFree CLP.)

I have exceeded 2800 rounds (2000 of it Russian ammo: wolf, barnaul, brown bear, silver bear) fired through mine (just being lazy). My normal cleaning schedule is every 1500-2000 rounds. I just kept the BCG generously wet and shot the damn thing, with no malfunctions of any kind. I finally cleaned it this weekend (third cleaning of weapon) and talk about caked on crude!:eek: But it's good to know that the weapon will continue to operate "Wet and Dirty".:cool:

mmike87
10-13-08, 11:51
What I like most about this site is the plethora of identified, trusted industry professionals - manufacturers, experienced dealers, trainers, armorers, etc. - who openly and honestly share their knowledge with folks like me.

czydj
10-13-08, 18:03
What I like most about this site is the plethora of identified, trusted industry professionals - manufacturers, experienced dealers, trainers, armorers, etc. - who openly and honestly share their knowledge with folks like me.

and they're willing to call you on your BS too!

Avenger29
10-13-08, 19:08
And I don't see "Get a DPMS...Mine's GREAT!!!!!GOOD AS A COLT!!!!" BS you see on the general forums....

I participate regularly in a certain general firearms forum...and the answer whenever a new guy asks what AR he should buy is always "Get a DPMS"...one or two posters (like me) will say not to get a DPMS, but we are drowned out by the DPMS/Oly fanboys who start screaming bloody murder that you dared to insult their favorite brand...

It is refreshing to not have that here.