PDA

View Full Version : Darkest Hour

WillBrink
12-08-17, 09:44
One of the all time great actors (Gary Oldman) covering one of my all time favorite historical figures (and about damn time too!), can...not...fail. This will likely be a must see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJ60u7SUSw

chuckman
12-08-17, 10:17
Oldman is fantastic, and that looks like a great movie. Right now my metric for Churchill is John Lithgow from The Crown on Netflix. But Oldman very well may change that.

WillBrink
12-08-17, 10:23
Oldman is fantastic, and that looks like a great movie. Right now my metric for Churchill is John Lithgow from The Crown on Netflix. But Oldman very well may change that.

Lithgow is a first class actor and underrrated to boot. He also looks much more like Churchill, so that would add to the effect. I have not seen The Crown, but can easily imagine him setting the standard for Churchill. If I could go back in time, perhaps #1 guy I'd like to have a beer with would be Churchill.

Dienekes
12-08-17, 10:26
Churchill is one of my very few heroes.

This looks good.

chuckman
12-08-17, 10:38
Lithgow is a first class actor and underrrated to boot. He also looks much more like Churchill, so that would add to the effect. I have not seen The Crown, but can easily imagine him setting the standard for Churchill. If I could go back in time, perhaps #1 guy I'd like to have a beer with would be Churchill.

WC is one of my heroes. Few politicians could read the flavor of a crowd like him, and although he had a lot of faults, he was a leader and understood love of country.

I am not an anglophile, but my wife is, so I told her I would watch The Crown with her. I loved it. Season 2 premiers tonight (post-Churchill, so Lithgow doesn't come back). If you get a chance, watch it, if for no other reason than Lithgow's performance.

WillBrink
12-08-17, 10:46
WC is one of my heroes. Few politicians could read the flavor of a crowd like him, and although he had a lot of faults, he was a leader and understood love of country.

I am not an anglophile, but my wife is, so I told her I would watch The Crown with her. I loved it. Season 2 premiers tonight (post-Churchill, so Lithgow doesn't come back). If you get a chance, watch it, if for no other reason than Lithgow's performance.

Me either. Quite the opposite in fact. I'm actually related to the Buckingham's by way distant relatives. Personally, anything to do with "royalty" makes my skin crawl, and the term I associate with a bunch of inbred pompous idiots, usually sociopaths, regardless of the nation. Nothing is a greater barrier to Liberty and Freedom, which the Founders understood all to well. Even Washington got that when they suggested he be king, and refused.

austinN4
12-08-17, 11:02
I got really tired of Oldman screaming his lines in what seemed to me like most of his movies, but at least with Churchill I doubt he will be doing that.

Firefly
12-08-17, 11:52
This is what I like about Gary Oldman.

He has played...

Sid Vicious
Stansfield
Dracula
Zorg
Commissioner Gordon
The bad guy from Air Force One
The guy from Harry Potter
and a bunch of other people

But you don't really know who he is.......

He coulda been an OSS spy had he been born earlier

chuckman
12-08-17, 11:56
He coulda been an OSS spy had he been born earlier

...or have MPD (multiple personality disorder).....

WillBrink
12-08-17, 12:01
I got really tired of Oldman screaming his lines in what seemed to me like most of his movies, but at least with Churchill I doubt he will be doing that.

I can recall very few movies where he did that. Please supply sources. I can think of maybe two movies off the top of my head, and it worked. I find Pacino is the worst for that, yet no one seems to give him shit for it. He was about the only part of Heat I didn't really enjoy and he almost ruined that movie for me. When Pacino is on and in the right part, he's awesome, but I find he can stink of a movie really well and no one seems to mention it. Oldman, not so much....

austinN4
12-08-17, 12:58
I remember first noticing it The Professional. But I really haven't kept track.

When I watched The Space Between Us it was about the worst that I can recall. That is the last Oldman movie I have watched.

From IMBD: "Renowned for his "big" acting style....", whatever that means.

To each his own but he is not one of my favorites; however, I will watch Churchill as I expect a different and better performance.

Firefly
12-08-17, 13:18

When I watched The Space Between Us it was about the worst that I can recall. That is the last Oldman movie I have watched.

To each his own but he is not one of my favorites; however, I will watch Churchill as I expect a different and better performance.

I dunno. It took me until the last Batman to realize that he was Commisioner Gordon.

His Dracula perfomance was up there with Lugosi.

I always figured his yelling in Leon the Professional was because his guy was always high on drugs.

WillBrink
12-08-17, 14:13

In that movie, a sociopathic cop on coke, etc, it worked well I thought and very appropriate. Didn't see The Space Between Us. Seem most of his movies however.

austinN4
12-08-17, 14:17
In that movie, a sociopathic cop on coke, etc, it worked well I thought and very appropriate. Didn't see The Space Between Us. Seem most of his movies however.

In The Professional is did work, but I noticed it in other movies, just can't name them all except for the last own I saw, The Space Between Us.
IMBD profile says he has been married 5 times - yikes!

Big A
12-08-17, 17:39
I can recall very few movies where he did that. Please supply sources. I can think of maybe two movies off the top of my head, and it worked. I find Pacino is the worst for that, yet no one seems to give him shit for it. He was about the only part of Heat I didn't really enjoy and he almost ruined that movie for me. When Pacino is on and in the right part, he's awesome, but I find he can stink of a movie really well and no one seems to mention it. Oldman, not so much....The Professional

The Fifth Element

The Dark Knight Trilogy

Lost in Space

Churchill

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

LMT Shooter
12-08-17, 18:01
He also played Drexel in True Romance, one of my all-time favorite movies. It was a most memorable performance.

WillBrink
12-08-17, 18:17
The Professional

The Fifth Element

The Dark Knight Trilogy

Lost in Space

Churchill

Then don't watch the freakin' movie. Not sure what else to tell ya dude.

Big A
12-08-17, 18:21
Then don't watch the freakin' movie. Not sure what else to tell ya dude.Just pointing put movies where he screams his lines. I have no problem with his acting and plan to see this movie.

austinN4
12-08-17, 18:41
I find Pacino is the worst for that, yet no one seems to give him shit for it. He was about the only part of Heat I didn't really enjoy and he almost ruined that movie for me. When Pacino is on and in the right part, he's awesome, but I find he can stink of a movie really well and no one seems to mention it.
OK, I will. Yes Pachino is a screamer and, IMO, very one dimensional. Heat is one of my favorite movies and one that I own, but Pachino was the weak link in that movie, IMO. Will, it is OK for us to disagree. Not everyone likes the same things. Olman is mine, but I include Pachino in that also.

austinN4
12-08-17, 18:43
Churchill
Damn, sorry to hear that. Still going to watch it because of the subject.

Firefly
12-08-17, 18:50
He also played Drexel in True Romance, one of my all-time favorite movies. It was a most memorable performance.

I forgot that was him.

That and the mummy looking dude from Hannibal and the bad guy from Book of Eli.

The man is a chameleon and we know nothing about him.

tb-av
12-08-17, 18:56
One of the all time great actors (Gary Oldman)

He is off the charts..

Drexl Spivey - "He must'ah thought it was white boy day"

Big A
12-08-17, 19:06
Damn, sorry to hear that. Still going to watch it because of the subject.Did you watch the trailer?

"YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN HIS MOUTH!"

sundance435
12-09-17, 16:40
Looking forward to seeing this. I thought Brendan Gleeson did a good job in "Into the Storm".

Honu
12-09-17, 19:25
problem I had with lithgow in the crown was his physical size ? yeah should not bother me but so many great actors that fit the stature better I figure

this will be interesting to see for the world history of it and how it is handled etc. by the preview looks great :)

eightmillimeter
12-22-17, 23:06
Out-f&$king-standing. Not what I expected at all. Old man Oldman has outdone himself.

WillBrink
03-05-18, 08:12
Darkest Hour covers a short time period of Winston Churchill's career, just as he's being made Prime Minister and the last minute rescue of virtually the entire British Army at Dunkirk. It's a beautifully made movie all around, and the acting across the board top notch. It was clear to me if Oldman didn't win an Best Actor Oscar for this there was no justice in the world, and he did win last night. The Director takes some artistic license, but does a rare thing: it's done where it's appropriate without distracting from the overall historical accuracy and story. Historical purists may dismay more liberties are taken with a few dates and such, but it does detract from the value of this movie in the way it all but ruins others .It's about time someone made a modern movie about Churchill that shows what a crusty ill tempered SOB he was, and the fact he was exactly what was needed at that time.

A must see for history buffs. Movie gets an A.

ramairthree
03-05-18, 11:10
Yeah, some actors are who they are.
Samuel L is Samuel L.
Jeff Goldblum is Jeff Goldblum.
Christopher Walken in Christopher Walken.

But some actors literally become a character and are nearly unrecognizable between roles they have played. Along with Val Kilmer, and a handful of others, this guy nails it.

WillBrink
03-05-18, 11:17
Yeah, some actors are who they are.
Samuel L is Samuel L.
Jeff Goldblum is Jeff Goldblum.
Christopher Walken in Christopher Walken.

But some actors literally become a character and are nearly unrecognizable between roles they have played. Along with Val Kilmer, and a handful of others, this guy nails it.

Oldman has always been known as a "character actor" and that's his thing. The ability to become a completely different person is much more impressive to me than great actors who essentially play themselves or the same character over and over like De Niro etc. Olson has been a favorite actor of mine for a loooooong time.

austinN4
03-05-18, 12:53

Quoting my own post to add I did finally watch Darkest Hour and thought Oldman did a good job, the best of him I have seen to date. Good movie and well worth watching. Too bad Dunkirk came out first. Seems to me the correct order to watch them is Darkest Hour first, then Dunkirk.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-05-18, 15:53
Quoting my own post to add I did finally watch Darkest Hour and thought Oldman did a good job, the best of him I have seen to date. Good movie and well worth watching. Too bad Dunkirk came out first. Seems to me the correct order to watch them is Darkest Hour first, then Dunkirk.

I completely agree. I was bummed when Darkest Hour ended, as I was ready for the war at hand.

Diamondback
03-05-18, 16:11
Oldman's Oscar was well deserved, and his speech deserves an award by itself just for how it's making America-haters who should move somewhere else Lose Their Shit.

MountainRaven
08-20-18, 00:50
This movie is now on HBO Now and I think it is excellent.

Turning once again, and this time more generally, to the question of invasion, I would observe that there has never been a period in all these long centuries of which we boast when an absolute guarantee against invasion, still less against serious raids, could have been given to our people. In the days of Napoleon, of which I was speaking just now, the same wind which would have carried his transports across the Channel might have driven away the blockading fleet. There was always the chance, and it is that chance which has excited and befooled the imaginations of many Continental tyrants. Many are the tales that are told. We are assured that novel methods will be adopted, and when we see the originality of malice, the ingenuity of aggression, which our enemy displays, we may certainly prepare ourselves for every kind of novel stratagem and every kind of brutal and treacherous manœuvre. I think that no idea is so outlandish that it should not be considered and viewed with a searching, but at the same time, I hope, with a steady eye. We must never forget the solid assurances of sea power and those which belong to air power if it can be locally exercised.

I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once more able to defend our island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone. At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government – every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation. The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.

sundance435
08-21-18, 16:01
"Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and if, which I do not for a moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

One of my favorite passages of any speech. My favorite line in "Darkest Hour" is the last. Lord Halifax, in answering someone who asked what had just happened (after this speech in Parliament), replies, "He mobilised the English language and sent it into battle." I'm pretty sure it was JFK who said that, but still...