PDA

View Full Version : Did Brownell's really sell me a legit Milspec/OEM Colt part?

pointblank4445
12-10-17, 20:44
I needed a bolt carrier so I bought a "Colt" carrier from Brownells (PN 160-000-371WB. To date, I've used dozens of Colt BCG's either harvested from factory guns/uppers or from scottyryan. This one looks different to me.

Note that:
- Park finish is darker and rougher than 2 relatively new carriers (both sub 250 rounds of use) that I know for certain are factory Colt
- No "C" stamping on the left side as I've seen on every Colt carrier I have.

https://i.imgur.com/A2zv1O4.jpg

I realize we're getting into minutiae here, but I like to be sure I'm getting what I paid for and not getting the old bait and switch of either a non-Colt or a pseudo-Colt Expanse type product or anything other than what I would be pulling out of a factory M4 or 6920. I'm wondering what the consensus is of this being a Colt part

I will also note that earlier this year, I purchased a Colt upper and noted some of the work on it was a little sloppier than what I'm used to seeing. From one pic I still have of the upper, you can see the overspray from the top rail "T" markings.

https://i.imgur.com/D5oa4Qj.jpg

magister
12-10-17, 21:05
I recently purchased a 6920 Trooper. Carrier is not marked with a C. Bolt is marked MPC, and has a white dot on it also. Not sure if that answers your question, but it sounds similar to yours.

whatthepuck
12-10-17, 21:06
Not all Colt bcgs will have the C stamped on them now. This, from what I have gathered, has been communicated by Colt directly. My last factory Colt upper did not have a C on the carrier. There are quite a few reports about carriers lacking the C. You bought it from Brownells, it’s legit. If you don’t think so, then just return it.

bamashooter
12-10-17, 21:17
I wouldn't sweat it however when Colt quit selling replacement parts and handed most of that task off to Brownells and Midway USA, you will always see wordage such as "factory original", "oem", etc. But you saw that before too. I've purchased "Colt" 1911 parts from both in the past and felt they were the real deal and actually had that confirmed by a former mid-high level former Colt employee. Just keep in mind that many parts are actually manufactured to Colt specs by authorized vendors. And I believe it's accepted as a Colt norm that they aren't consistent w/ stampings, markings, and such.

arptsprt
12-10-17, 21:53
Funny. I bought a new complete Colt SOCOM upper that just arrived yesterday that I shot this afternoon. Like yours, the bolt carrier was not marked with the “C” nor was the FSB “F” marked. I have 5 other Colts and they all have the “C” marked carrier. I know this upper is 100% legit based on where I purchased it from so it’s not a big deal to me but it is not typical based on the past. BTW, I mic’d the FSB and it is indeed flattop compatible. Just no F mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPM
12-10-17, 22:54
Colt’s fit and finish department only works Friday afternoons.

bobbytucson
12-10-17, 22:58
Colt’s fit and finish department only works Friday afternoons.

lol that made my night

Joe Mamma
12-10-17, 23:41
Yeah, Colt quality is not very consistent in my opinion. As was already mentioned, there are colt bolt carriers without the "C."

I absolutely trust Brownells for selling real Colt parts when they say they are Colt. It's possible they made a mistake, but it is unlikely.

Compare the gas key screws and staking. They should all look the same.

Joe Mamma

voiceofreason
12-11-17, 06:52
Unlike many other retailers, I trust Brownell's to not try to pull a fast one.

They will take back anything you are displeased with. Although they are often bit pricier, they stand by their sales.

hk_shootr
12-11-17, 07:37
Colt isn’t what it once was.......there are better options.

PapaFoxtrot
12-12-17, 14:26
There are Colt "Expanse" grade parts that are out there now, and they are NOT the same as Colt military.

Better options available, indeed.

5.56 Bonded SP
12-12-17, 15:35
I have a 6920 with the overspray on the white rail markings as well, also doesn't have a ''C'' on the carrier. The extractor has a ''T'' mark in it with the gold spring, almost wondered if that stood for toolcraft.

scottryan
12-12-17, 16:56
I have noticed several BCG recently in the last 2 months that do not have the C marking on the carrier.

I am not happy about it.

12-12-17, 20:29
That's gonna hurt 'em on the secondary market.

No C stamp? Not a Colt. I don't care what you say.

12-12-17, 20:38
That's gonna hurt 'em on the secondary market.

No C stamp? Not a Colt. I don't care what you say.

Kain
12-12-17, 20:44
I have noticed several BCG recently in the last 2 months that do not have the C marking on the carrier.

I am not happy about it.

With CDNN having a boat load of the Colt Competition parts and selling them as Colt, albeit it usually Colt Competition, though most people see that are are only reading it as being Colt, any Colt parts on the market at the moment have me hesitant. I know some have been saying that the parts, or at least some of the parts, are to the exact same specs, but, I am sorry if I just don't trust what is in essence the economy line. At least I don't trust them for something that I would bet the farm on. I have a couple beater/experiment/I don't know what the hell I am doing with this POS builds that I wouldn't care, but those parts are getting segregated like it is the 1950's from my good shit.

Hammer_Man
12-12-17, 21:05
I think a better option for a BCG would be BCM. It checks all the right boxes, is marketed by a known quality supplier, and costs less.

arptsprt
12-12-17, 21:40
scottryan,

I’m simply asking the question for my own education from you as a Colt expert...

Is the issue of no C marking more of a quality assurance comfort or secondary/ resale one?

I own several Colts and all have the C mark on the carrier. However, as previously posted in this thread, I just took delivery last Friday of a brand new Colt SOCOM 14.5 complete upper from a very reputable source and it did not have the C marking on the carrier. The bolt is MPC marked with the white dot, the extractor spring is the copper variety. When compared to the other C marked BCG from my other Colts, the gas key staking is in fact better than a few other and overall quality seems very much on par with the others.

Put a few rounds (100) through it this weekend and was very happy with the initial run.

Curious on your expert perspectives. Thanks.

I am not happy about it.

Butch
12-13-17, 06:07
scottryan,

I’m simply asking the question for my own education from you as a Colt expert...

Is the issue of no C marking more of a quality assurance comfort or secondary/ resale one?

I own several Colts and all have the C mark on the carrier. However, as previously posted in this thread, I just took delivery last Friday of a brand new Colt SOCOM 14.5 complete upper from a very reputable source and it did not have the C marking on the carrier. The bolt is MPC marked with the white dot, the extractor spring is the copper variety. When compared to the other C marked BCG from my other Colts, the gas key staking is in fact better than a few other and overall quality seems very much on par with the others.

Put a few rounds (100) through it this weekend and was very happy with the initial run.

IDK how hard you looked but you might want to check again. I bought a CCU that upon initial inspection, I did not see the "C". After rubbing some oil on the carrier, it is indeed there. Faint but there.

Airhasz
12-13-17, 07:17
IDK how hard you looked but you might want to check again. I bought a CCU that upon initial inspection, I did not see the "C". After rubbing some oil on the carrier, it is indeed there. Faint but there.

Same with the new Colt bcg I purchased Black Friday, a little oil, good lighting and careful examination clearly revealed the coveted letter C.:happy:

scottryan
12-13-17, 09:55
scottryan,

I don't think these carrier are any less quality. They just aren't marked with a C. I have pulled about a dozen of these from NIB factory guns and uppers in the past few months.

It is difficult trying to use these for sale or use them in customer builds; because I cannot convince the buyer the item is actually Colt due to the lack of marking.

I have also become very agitated about the trajectory of Colt in general.

All these projects Colt was coming out with to get them out of bankruptcy have been botched or haven't come to fruition.

Paladinius
12-13-17, 10:39
I think a better option for a BCG would be BCM. It checks all the right boxes, is marketed by a known quality supplier, and costs less.Ditto. I've had less than a warm fuzzy about Colt parts for awhile now. I buy BCM and never give parts quality another thought.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

hollowpoint2003
12-13-17, 11:04
I think the darker non marked carriers, as pictured in the first post, are manufactured by AO Precision (who’s website lists Colt as a customer). I base that on these data points. I bought an Expanse HB. The BCG is dark. The entire setup matches the description of the CDNN Colt Competition BCG. the part number they list, when googled, brings up a complete BCG made by AO Precision. I also bought a recent 6920 (Trooper). It had the same dark unmarked carrier that matches the complete Expanse (AO) BCG perfectly. The only difference is the 6920 has an MPC bolt (visibly different from the MP marked Expanse/AO bolt).

Final theory. Colt has a bunch of Expanse/Competition Carriers made by AO. They’re putting in the Colt MPC marked bolts and calling it a day. I haven’t been able to figure out the “T” marked extractor yet.

Leonidas24
12-13-17, 11:10
scottryan I'm sure you can answer this; the vastness of the internet has stumped my google fu. The OP has a photo of three BCG's side by side, one that was visibly darker, rougher, and had a sparkly tinge to it. The other two were dull grey, and had a smoother finish to them -- this is what I've come to expect from Colt. What is the dull grey finish and why can't I find it on other makers' carriers anymore? I have a fully marked Colt BCG in a rifle I just made that has that dull grey smooth finish, and an old carrier I bought from G&R with the same finish. Are they both just variations on manganese phosphate?

hollowpoint2003
12-13-17, 11:23
scottryan I'm sure you can answer this; the vastness of the internet has stumped my google fu. The OP has a photo of three BCG's side by side, one that was visibly darker, rougher, and had a sparkly tinge to it. The other two were dull grey, and had a smoother finish to them -- this is what I've come to expect from Colt. What is the dull grey finish and why can't I find it on other makers' carriers anymore? I have a fully marked Colt BCG in a rifle I just made that has that dull grey smooth finish, and an old carrier I bought from G&R with the same finish. Are they both just variations on manganese phosphate?

I’m not ScottRyan, but I recently bought some phosphate Toolcraft BCGs from Right To Bear, and I’d say side by side, the carrier is AT LEAST a 95% match to the real Colt carriers. The Toolcraft finish was a little smoother, if you can believe that.

scottryan
12-13-17, 17:05

They all have mag phosphate finish. There has probably been 10-12 different shades of brownish gray parkerizing used over the years. I wouldn't put much worry into this.