PDA

View Full Version : LPK choices?

dlraymond30
12-11-17, 13:02
I am in the middle of a pistol/sbr build on an Aero FDE gen 2 lower and realize that most of you guys are going to say to use Colt LPKs or KAC or whatever but since I'm going to be using an ambi safety as well as a different trigger and mag release, is there any reason to go with the more expensive LPK from Colt or is Aero, PSA, Anderson etc just fine? What are the more "technical" advantages of the Colt, KAC, BCM, DD, LMT etc LPK's as opposed to the Aero or even just something like joeboboutfitters.com or righttobear.com cobbled together LPK's? Is there really any noticeable difference especially in what will be an 11.5" "hard use" pistol/sbr in 5.56?
Any opinions are appreciated but the ones of you on here with the technical knowledge of endurance, heat stress capabilities etc are who I am aiming for.

Regards,
Darrin

everready73
12-11-17, 13:09
Lower end kits usually have MIM parts and a higher chance of out of spec parts. They also may not use the correct materials for the parts. Red Barn Armory offers a la cart and you can order just the parts needed. I ordered a Sons of Liberty Gun Works Blaster guts kits w/o trigger and grip and it was high quality. If you are worried absout things like heat stress etc I would buy from a company you trust with high quality control. The cheaper kits are cheap for a reason- inferior parts or they have shitt QC and you have a higher chance of getting something that will give you issues

themonk
12-11-17, 13:42
If it's for range use it doesn't really matter. If you are going to depend on it for your life I would recommend BCM, LMT, or Colt LPKs. If you are going to mix and match with aftermarket ambi safeties and you only need a few parts; specialized armament allows you to buy Colt parts individually.

w3453l
12-11-17, 13:59
"Is there really any noticeable difference especially in what will be an 11.5" "hard use" pistol/sbr in 5.56?"

I think this is all the more reason you shouldn't cheap out on it. My experience with Sionics is limited to just one rifle, so it's not much, but it has been trouble free so far.

They are not expensive, and offer different kits with and without things like trigger, ambi safety etc.

26 Inf
12-11-17, 15:00
I am in the middle of a pistol/sbr build on an Aero FDE gen 2 lower and realize that most of you guys are going to say to use Colt LPKs or KAC or whatever but since I'm going to be using an ambi safety as well as a different trigger and mag release, is there any reason to go with the more expensive LPK from Colt or is Aero, PSA, Anderson etc just fine? What are the more "technical" advantages of the Colt, KAC, BCM, DD, LMT etc LPK's as opposed to the Aero or even just something like joeboboutfitters.com or righttobear.com cobbled together LPK's? Is there really any noticeable difference especially in what will be an 11.5" "hard use" pistol/sbr in 5.56?
Any opinions are appreciated but the ones of you on here with the technical knowledge of endurance, heat stress capabilities etc are who I am aiming for.

Regards,
Darrin

KNS Precision turned lower pins and detents:

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/kns-precision-s-turned-lower-parts-kit/

ERGO spring kit:

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/ERGO-AR-15-Lower-Spring-Replacement-Kit-4612-p/ergo-4612.htm

(I just ordered 3 of the spring kits for my parts chest, I already have several of the KNS pin sets)

From what you posted the only thing you might be missing is the bolt catch lever and maybe an end plate. You would have hammer and trigger spring extra plus trigger and hammer pins, depending on what FCG you buy.

alx01
12-11-17, 15:29
IMHO - Aero, PSA, or Anderson work just fine. You might have a chance of a out of spec part, but that chance exists even with the more expensive kit. If I recall correctly there are only 2 (or maybe 3) large LPK manufacturers in U.S. and 1 in Canada.
There is another one in Turkey (lower quality metal and parts). I also heard people saying some cheaper LPKs are coming from Taiwan.

Just make sure you get one made in the U.S. and you'll be fine.

dlraymond30
12-12-17, 16:00
Thank you everyone. I am going to take your collective advice and get the parts I need from quality mfg...

-Darrin

PeaShooter
12-12-17, 16:29
I personally prefer Spikes LPK's because the roll pins are "in the white" and just seem to go in very smoothly.

rocket 442
12-17-17, 18:37
Stay away from PSA LPK's! I helped a friend assemble 3 lowers &
used 3 PSA LPK's & all had issues. Detent pins are black & wouldn't let the takedown pins move. Had to pound on them. One set had an oversized safety selector ��*♂️. Had to rob a CMMG lpk & the LGS for replacement parts. You get what you pay for.

556BlackRifle
12-17-17, 23:42
I like Sionics LPKs.

Tigwelder1971
12-26-17, 09:40
PSA lpks have declined. OOS discos, sheared bolt catches and buffer retainers to name a few. Alot of MIM components from China showing up in budget lpks.

Buy a quality kit from a trusted vendor.

pinzgauer
12-26-17, 10:02
I don't understand how someone could use the term hard use and Chinese or Turkish Parts in the same sentence.

My new go-to lower parts kit is from White Oak with the ACT trigger. Or by one of the good name lower parts kit minus fire control group and get the ACT for $29 currently.

There is really no savings or justification in buying junk lower parts kits.

Gewehr3
12-26-17, 17:19
Any thoughts about the quality of Stag Arms LPKs?

26 Inf
12-26-17, 18:27
Any thoughts about the quality of Stag Arms LPKs?

I don't know, yet. I bought three minus FCG on Black Friday, along with two .22LR conversions which were intended as Christmas Gifts.

I'm disappointed in the customer service I've received from them thus far.

The 22 conversions are apparently CMMG units, at least there was a CMMG marked forward assist adapter in the clear tube the units came in. They were also supposed to come with a 25 round magazine but those weren't in the box the conversion kits arrived in. Likewise there were no instructions with either conversion kit.

I had to sign for them, and quite frankly, had forgotten I'd ordered the three minus LPK's until they showed up at my front door the next day. Would have saved some geetos if they had put them in one box, there was room.

I emailed Stag customer support, waited for several days, emailed to another address I found on the website, waited a couple of days and called. Got put in the que, waited about three minutes, some lady picked up, said 'Thank you for calling Stag, please hold' and put me back in the que. Waited five minutes then hung up. Next day I called, exact thing word for word, again I waited 5 minutes and hung up.

About that time I got an email from Stag thanking me for my business, and asking for any suggestions on improving the experience. I replied 1) answer you emails; 2) send me my magazines; 3) do something with your phone system. Nicely written because I didn't want them to say the heck with my mags. No reply.

All emails contained the order number and items ordered as well as my name.

I had to dig into the 22 mag box and get two new mags to give with the conversions this Christmas, downloaded and printed instructions from Brownell's or Cabela's because the CMMG download link didn't work. Although, to be completely honest, maybe the CMMG download link works and I'm too dumb to understand how it works. There is that possibility.

Right now Stag is on my poo list.

bb223
12-27-17, 03:26
I don't understand how someone could use the term hard use and Chinese or Turkish Parts in the same sentence.

My new go-to lower parts kit is from White Oak with the ACT trigger. Or by one of the good name lower parts kit minus fire control group and get the ACT for $29 currently.

Yep, WOA parts and the QMS trigger for me.

wetidlerjr
12-27-17, 05:41

This...

Joelski
12-27-17, 06:00
Geissele has a decent lpk these days. The kit is mil-spec, less fcg and decent as in nothing flashy or sketchy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk