PDA

View Full Version : ATL, busiest airport in the world, stopping operations, power out, developing

FlyingHunter
12-17-17, 17:07
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/power-outage-reported-at-atlanta-airport/665254579

The FAA has ordered a ground stop on all flights headed to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport Sunday afternoon due to a power outage.

Channel 2's Nefertiti Jaquez has learned major airlines JetBlue, Delta Airlines, United Airlines, Southwest and American Airlines have canceled all flights for the remainder of the day. An official with American Airlines told Jaquez evacuations are underway at the airport.

Atlanta fire rescue officials say flights, security checkpoints and plane taxiing delays are affecting thousands due to the outage. Airport officials and Georgia Power are working to fix the power outage. Channel 2 Action News has also learned Atlanta Fire units are on standby.

This will have ripple effects for the all air travel for the near term.

skywalkrNCSU
12-17-17, 17:15
Ouch, right around the holidays too. These things make me so glad I’m not in consulting anymore.

Five_Point_Five_Six
12-17-17, 19:18
Die Hard 2?

Kain
12-17-17, 19:22
Die Hard 2?

Yeah, but in Die hard they didn't have protocols to just have the airplanes land on 285, so....

Sam
12-17-17, 19:37
Planes are going to start landing at Charlie Brown, PDK, Gwinnett, Dobbins, Gainesville, LOL. I can see a huge A380 trying to land at PDK now. hehe.

FlyingHunter
12-17-17, 21:01
Update: Delta cancels 300 flights Monday after Atlanta airport power outage.

Fire suspected as source of damage to the power generating facilities.

HardToHandle
12-17-17, 21:59
Airport electric transformer reportedly failed, caused a fire and then a power loss across the airport complex.

My experience in 2017 is Delta could mess up a one-car funeral. City of Atlanta or the responsible authority evidently did a poor job of engineering. My guess is 500 flights disrupted will cause issues well through Christmas.

eightmillimeter
12-17-17, 22:17
My in laws are caught in the middle of this. They can’t even get through on the phone to delta to start the rebooking process.

HardToHandle
12-17-17, 23:44
My in laws are caught in the middle of this. They can’t even get through on the phone to delta to start the rebooking process.

FWIW, I got caught in mini version of this last week on West Coast. Delta was running 90 minutes phone rebooking waits when Salt Lake City was restricted. The rebooking lines were longer in person.

In April, it took me two days to reach Delta by phone (seriously) and I was told I could get a flight four days later to get home. Cause was a reportedly a thunderstorm in Atlanta (really) that disrupted their entire system. I just rented a car, drove two and half days, got home about the time Delta answered the phone finally.

Do not wait for the carrier to rebook you. I have seen the Delta system rebooking system crash and burn three times this year.

All the airlines are a crap shoot but Delta is a meltdown. Not worth saving $50 on a ticket.

Hmac
12-17-17, 23:56
My experience with Delta over the last 10 years since they bought Northwest has been exemplary. It the only airline that I fly, and I fly a lot. I’ve had great service, very little to complain about.

Doc Safari
12-18-17, 11:15
Airport electric transformer reportedly failed, caused a fire and then a power loss across the airport complex.

Great. Now every enemy we have will get the idea that this is how to paralyze us.

Dist. Expert 26
12-18-17, 11:29
Great. Now every enemy we have will get the idea that this is how to paralyze us.

Terrorists hit soft targets to create maximum casualties. Anyone interested in attacking our infrastructure already knows how to shut us down. I don't think we'll see a wave of jihadis blowing up transformers at airports.

TAZ
12-18-17, 13:27
FWIW, I got caught in mini version of this last week on West Coast. Delta was running 90 minutes phone rebooking waits when Salt Lake City was restricted. The rebooking lines were longer in person.

In April, it took me two days to reach Delta by phone (seriously) and I was told I could get a flight four days later to get home. Cause was a reportedly a thunderstorm in Atlanta (really) that disrupted their entire system. I just rented a car, drove two and half days, got home about the time Delta answered the phone finally.

Do not wait for the carrier to rebook you. I have seen the Delta system rebooking system crash and burn three times this year.

All the airlines are a crap shoot but Delta is a meltdown. Not worth saving $50 on a ticket.

Lol. You and I were stuck in the same cluster ****. I jumped on a SW flight to Houston and then home. Coworker opted to wait and have Delta re-route her. Poor choice.

Airlines in general suck when it comes to customer service. They know they have you by the shirt hairs.

Jsp10477
12-18-17, 13:59
Transformer failed at a sub station. Transformer caught fire and burned up the roll over switch. Shit happens. Murphy's fault.

I haven't seen the one lines for Hartsfield, but I'd imagine these were dedicated circuits. Back up was in place. Some things aren't instant fixes.

I'm sure there's already a line of lawyers figuring every angle to try and extort money from Hartsfield/City of Atl and Ga Power. I hope each give the single finger salute and counter sue. Most people have no idea of what goes on when a system fails. Almost all do not care. So you were inconvenienced, boo hoo.

GH41
12-18-17, 15:55
You guys who fly or did.... What would have happened if the power loss was after dark during a thunderstorm? Do these planes depend on transponders on the ground or are the onboard instruments sophisticated enough to land on an unlit runway with no input from the ground?? Does the tower have backup power for radar, communication and computers necessary to maintain control of flight patterns. I have been on many incoming flights to Atl as a passenger at night. Looking out of the window I could see dozens of other planes at various altitudes. Could this event been more than an inconvenience.

Jsp10477
12-18-17, 17:14
They reported on the news, during the outage, that the tower could communicate with the air craft.

Sam
12-18-17, 17:19
Towers have back up power (generator and UPS) on all essential equipment, runway lights and ILS are on emergency also. It ain't the take off and landing, it's what they do before they push off and after they land. The power to operate the jetway may not be on emergency, the conveyors, baggage handling equipment may not be on emergency. I haven't seen a one line diagram of Hartsfield so I can't say what's on emergency and what's not.

I do know that Hartsfield power is a huge system with multiple substations, multiple feeds from Georgia Power, multiple level of huge generators and UPS systems. How one fire at one switchgear was able to knock out the normal and emergency power to most of the airport is mindboggling. The authority and people involved knew happened, they're just not telling the whole story. Too many politicians, executives, big money makers would be embarrassed if the whole story comes out. And that corrupted mayor is not going to take any blame either.

Many of the complaints were against the AIRPORT's lack of plans to handle the stranded passengers on the ground, from the gate back to the terminals.

Jsp10477
12-18-17, 17:24
Right. Who wants to maintain a system when you can rape it? I wonder when the last time those back up gens and switch gear were tested or repaired. Remember, the city runs Hartsfield.

I'm sure the city is pissed that power company resources were diverted from shot spotter to an actual power company problem.

Sam
12-18-17, 17:28
I wonder when the last time those back up gens and switch gear were tested or repaired. Remember, the city runs Hartsfield.

Winner winner chicken dinner !

I wonder if this hurts Atlanta's chance of getting the new Amazon mega headquarters ? LOL. Amazon has got to be thinking now.

Sam
12-18-17, 17:45
Something good happened Sunday.

And it came from a fast food company that's been called "racist" and "homophobe".

Chickfilet, normally closed all their stores on Sunday, fired up the grills to make chicken sandwiches to hand out free at the airport to several thousand stranded passengers. They also handed out bottled water.

Take that liberals.

Jsp10477
12-18-17, 17:46
They'll fleece the taxpayer for whatever it takes to get Amazon.

Jsp10477
12-18-17, 17:50
Chickfilet, normally closed all their stores on Sunday, fired up the grills to make chicken sandwiches to hand out free at the airport to several thousand stranded passengers. They also handed out bottled water.

Take that liberals.

Pfft... Christians lol

Doc Safari
12-18-17, 17:53
Something good happened Sunday.

And it came from a fast food company that's been called "racist" and "homophobe".

Take that liberals.

If you've ever eaten at Chick-Fil-A you'd know why that's actually adding insult to injury. :jester:

Sam
12-18-17, 18:01
If you've ever eaten at Chick-Fil-A you'd know why that's actually adding insult to injury. :jester:

I've eaten there plenty. So what am I missing?

GH41
12-18-17, 18:07

Never had a problem there either. The hot cookies are to die for. Does that mean I am gay or something?

jpmuscle
12-19-17, 01:24
I love me some Chick-fil-A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doc Safari
12-19-17, 08:55

Just being facetious. I like their "wraps" but I always thought their chicken sandwiches were a little on the greasy side. When my girlfriend and I go there I never eat anything but the cool wrap.

Sam
12-19-17, 09:35
Just being facetious. I like their "wraps" but I always thought their chicken sandwiches were a little on the greasy side. When my girlfriend and I go there I never eat anything but the cool wrap.

Gotcha.

Their sandwich have a distinct flavoring, no other chicken sandwiches from other fast food taste like it. I don't mind "greasy" and I don't find it greasy. I've never had their wraps.

Outlander Systems
12-19-17, 09:41
Chik-Fil-A is fire as ****!

Contrary to popular opinion, there are 11 CFA "Black Sites" that serve everything from chicken and waffles to...cheeseburgers.

Gotcha.

Their sandwich have a distinct flavoring, no other chicken sandwiches from other fast food taste like it. I don't mind "greasy" and I don't find it greasy. I've never had their wraps.

Kain
12-19-17, 10:15
Gotcha.

They used to have a caesar cool wrap that was bitching. but i think they stopped serving them. They also have the best nuggets hands down. It actual chicken. lol.

Whiskey_Bravo
12-19-17, 10:23
Chik-Fil-A is fire as ****!

Contrary to popular opinion, there are 11 CFA "Black Sites" that serve everything from chicken and waffles to...cheeseburgers.

what?

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-19-17, 10:45
They used to have a caesar cool wrap that was bitching. but i think they stopped serving them. They also have the best nuggets hands down. It actual chicken. lol.

And they have the grilled nuggets too. Nice way to get some protein and not a lot of crap. Grilled chicken sandwhich and some nuggests is way better than most fast food, with out having to go the wrap or salad route. THeir cookies are killer, literally.

HeruMew
12-19-17, 10:55
I looove how this turned into a:

What the-hell, the power went out and watch this airport scramble to get their arse in gear. --->

Hey, Delta kinda sucks too, but they're okay from some people, but suck in general opine. --->

Chick-Fil-A though, bossanova level of greatness.

For what it's worth, I love Chick-fil-a, the only time I ever had it was in MPLS International Airport. It was wonderful.

Sam
12-19-17, 10:56

Never really into wraps of any kind, not something I pick when I'm at Chickfilet. Love their nuggets, those are like cracks.

I guess we have no more news on the outage and the bumbling response by the city that runs the airport, that's why we're talking about chicken sandwiches. LOL. This thread is done.