PDA

View Full Version : M&P 2.0 from Glock 17

PLCedeno
12-23-17, 08:56
Just started shooting the M&P 2.0 9mm full size-students were asking for it and i was curious. Great gun in every way one could qualify that. That being said, i have been shooting the Glock 17 (mostly) for 24 years in every Gen including the latest one. I find that with the M&P i am shooting very low and to the left. I know this is not the guns fault. I use the medium backstrap but will be trying the large today. Does anyone regularly transition from the Glock to the M&P and what should be done to accomplish this properly?

Also, will Trijicon HD's be as good a match as they are on my G17?

boombotz401
12-23-17, 09:22
I also am mainly a Glock shooter but prefer the 2.0

I find with the m&p slightly less grip angle I need to give a touch extra time on the follow up shots to not shoot low

After a while i got used to it and they both run great for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 Inf
12-23-17, 12:18
If you are shooting groups and like the way the pistol feels, I would measure the sights on your pistol and get on the Dawson Precision website, go to 'sight math' and figure out what size front sight you need. https://dawsonprecision.com/sight-calculator/

If you shoot groups with a Glock, and you shoot similar sized groups, except they are low, it makes sense to adjust the sights rather than alter the way you shoot. Especially if you are going to be switching between the S&W and the Glock.

This assumes that you are not making any fundamental errors in grip, SASP or press.

I switched from a Glock 17 to an M&P 2.0 for action pistol. I had essentially the same problem. Thought maybe all of a sudden I'd turned into and even worse shot than I had been. Ended up getting out everything from a 1911 to a Ruger MkI .22 before determining I was not doing anything fundamentally wrong. I finally bought a set of Dawson's so I could use their 'Perfect Impact' guarantee.

MegademiC
12-23-17, 18:05
I spent a bit of time with both (mp1.0) . The only difference I noticed was that different trigger finger placement caused more shift with the m&p for me.

PLCedeno
12-23-17, 20:39
I spent a bit of time with both (mp1.0) . The only difference I noticed was that different trigger finger placement caused more shift with the m&p for me.

There is definitely a lot of dancing around the trigger. Feels slippery. Not a criticism just is for me. Will practice my way into proficiency but if anyone has suggestions who understands the problem i would appreciate it.

Switching to the largest of the 4 backstraps helped.

Hopefully switching from stock to Trijicon HD in a week will help further. A fun challenge.

boombotz401
12-23-17, 20:41
Apex forward set trigger on my m&p’s can be set anywhere from 3-7lbs

It’s unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mig1nc
12-26-17, 09:46
Apex forward set trigger on my m&p’s can be set anywhere from 3-7lbs

It’s unbelievable

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIndeed, I sold my M&P with a FSS and my god that trigger was fine. Kind of regret selling it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mikem
12-26-17, 12:46
I shoot both on a regular basis. For a hand size I run the Gen 4s with no back strap added and the M&P 1 and 2.0 with the Medium insert. I find that with the Glock I run the trigger finger just past center of the pad on my finger to get a centered group. With the M&P I actually sink more finger into the trigger. I shoot with the first knuckle to get centered shots.

The other thing to really watch on either guns is where the index finger pushes on the frame to the outside of the trigger. I have to make a conscious effort to rotate my knuckle on the trigger finger down (towards the base of the magazine) so the finger is cleanly pressing the trigger and not contacting (thus pushing) the frame. I hope this makes sense.

RWH24
12-27-17, 00:03
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413487776.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413487775.jpg

Regular HD and the |HD XR work fine on the M&P 1.0 and 2.0, even the Shield 9mm.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413714544.jpg

2.0 Compact with HD XR Orange

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1321/4777050/24780118/413714632.jpg

PLCedeno
12-27-17, 05:25
I shoot both on a regular basis. For a hand size I run the Gen 4s with no back strap added and the M&P 1 and 2.0 with the Medium insert. I find that with the Glock I run the trigger finger just past center of the pad on my finger to get a centered group. With the M&P I actually sink more finger into the trigger. I shoot with the first knuckle to get centered shots.

The other thing to really watch on either guns is where the index finger pushes on the frame to the outside of the trigger. I have to make a conscious effort to rotate my knuckle on the trigger finger down (towards the base of the magazine) so the finger is cleanly pressing the trigger and not contacting (thus pushing) the frame. I hope this makes sense.

I am going to the first knuckle with the M&P to make shots work but i know this cant be right.

Grant help here since you know this issue better than anybody.

mikem
12-28-17, 10:19
Why do you say that going to the first knuckle "can't be right?" If it works and you get hits how is it wrong? You aren't giving up recoil management or control so you lose nothing. Pat McNamara talks about sinking more finger in on every gun. Several other trainers I have been to training with say the same thing. You actually get a ton of control over the trigger this way.

PLCedeno
12-28-17, 15:42
Why do you say that going to the first knuckle "can't be right?" If it works and you get hits how is it wrong? You aren't giving up recoil management or control so you lose nothing. Pat McNamara talks about sinking more finger in on every gun. Several other trainers I have been to training with say the same thing. You actually get a ton of control over the trigger this way.

Im open to what your saying. Just goes against years of placing the trigger before the knuckle and not after. Ive been ok with this happening on smaller guns like J frames and G26. With a full size it feel wrong to me-at this time.

Bodhi
12-28-17, 18:19
The only "issue" i've had when shooting my M&P is it shoots a little low. Very accurate, but it is low. I think it's probably me and will confirm when I go out again next week. I do like it a lot though