PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into (Or out of) a Glock 43

davidjinks
12-24-17, 12:32
This would be a "Summer pocket gun" and it would be replacing a 642.

I like the 642 (No lock -1) but I also like me some Glock.

Convince me, either for or against.....

thebarracuda
12-24-17, 12:55
I have one with a few hundred rds through it. I like it ok. Use it for summer carry. Small enough to conceal easily (thin) but not so small that it is too hard to shoot well, but I definitely prefer shooting g19/17 over the 43. No issues with my 43. Upgraded sights to ameriglo spartans. Added vickers +2 bases to get capacity to 8. Very happy with the upgrades. However, once carrying with +2 extensions on mag, you are basically at g19 grip length. Therefore, buying one means you need it for the thinner profile, because the grip length advantage is voided with the extension, or just rock a six shot and keep the shorter grip. I prefer having the extra two rds. I pretty much carry the 43 only in summer months for this reason.

SiGfever
12-24-17, 13:01
I too use mine for summer carry or when I have to dress with tighter fitting clothes. Mine has Trijicon HD sights (Lime green front) and has been 100% since new. I find it very easy to shoot and damn accurate for such a small pistol. I also have the mag extensions but prefer carrying with the flat base plate. I got a Hogue Handall Jr. grip for mine which gives me a better grip.

Biggy
12-24-17, 13:06

Here is a review of the G43 and some words of wisdom from LAV about the smaller 9 mm pistols. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdYH2M7CJN4

3ACR_Scout
12-24-17, 13:11
There have been several lengthy discussions of the G43 here that might be useful to read through. This one is a good starting point:

Glock 26 vs. Glock 43 vs. Glock 42: which do you prefer? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?182688-Glock-26-vs-Glock-43-vs-Glock-42-which-do-you-prefer)

Another lengthy but interesting one:

WHAT’S SHIPPING: Glock Model 43, 9x19mm (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?168463-WHAT-S-SHIPPING-Glock-Model-43-9x19mm)

I’ll try to post some others, but the search function isn’t cooperating with me at the moment. The bottom line for me is that it fits a role where you want deep concealment, easier concealment with light or more formal clothing, or something less bulky when doing physical activities. However, test it thoroughly with your carry ammunition and any aftermarket accessories (mag extensions) that you want to use, because I’ve seen a wide mix of results in terms of reliability. Lastly, I’d recommend shooting both the G43 and the Shield to see which is more comfortable for you. Both are great pistols but fit differently people differently.

Gary1911A1
12-24-17, 13:55
I shoot mine in GSSF Pocket Division and carry mine with Dawson Sights in an Alabama Pocket Holster. It disappears in all my pant's front pocket. https://www.alabamaholster.com/product/front-pocket-holster/

PLCedeno
12-24-17, 14:29
Certainly great for concealment. Firing it with accuracy requires lots of practice given its small size and weight.

davidjinks
12-24-17, 14:33
Thank you. I've read both of those linked threads. Kinda why I'm here now.

There have been several lengthy discussions of the G43 here that might be useful to read through. This one is a good starting point:

Glock 26 vs. Glock 43 vs. Glock 42: which do you prefer? (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?182688-Glock-26-vs-Glock-43-vs-Glock-42-which-do-you-prefer)

WHAT’S SHIPPING: Glock Model 43, 9x19mm (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?168463-WHAT-S-SHIPPING-Glock-Model-43-9x19mm)

I’ll try to post some others, but the search function isn’t cooperating with me at the moment. The bottom line for me is that it fits a role where you want deep concealment, easier concealment with light or more formal clothing, or something less bulky when doing physical activities. However, test it thoroughly with your carry ammunition and any aftermarket accessories (mag extensions) that you want to use, because I’ve seen a wide mix of results in terms of reliability. Lastly, I’d recommend shooting both the G43 and the Shield to see which is more comfortable for you. Both are great pistols but fit differently people differently.

EzGoingKev
12-24-17, 16:07
I run the Taran Tactical +1 base plates on mine. Just a tiny bit longed than the stock mags. You get the additional round but no real extra length in the grip area.

WillBrink
12-24-17, 16:15

If you like Glock ergos, trigger, etc, go for it. If not, I'd take a Shield any day, perhaps with some Apex upgrades. My Shield is stock, but one can get a much better trigger and such. Not sure I'd view a 43 or Shield as a pocket gun myself however.

mattieb
12-24-17, 16:30
Ive had lots of problems with feeding any +p gold dots or hst !!! standard 147 hst seem ok but always Ftfeed on the last round fmj thousands have been fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GiddyHitch
12-24-17, 16:57
I have large hands and found the grip way too thin. I was pulling the trigger at the second knuckle. No such issue with the XDs.

ST911
12-24-17, 17:06

I need to update that thread. Gun is now 6000+ rounds, several more loads, no issues. Seeing similar broad-spectrum reliability from other G43s. Recommended.

opngrnd
12-24-17, 17:34
I have one with a few hundred rds through it. I like it ok. Use it for summer carry. Small enough to conceal easily (thin) but not so small that it is too hard to shoot well, but I definitely prefer shooting g19/17 over the 43. No issues with my 43. Upgraded sights to ameriglo spartans. Added vickers +2 bases to get capacity to 8. Very happy with the upgrades. However, once carrying with +2 extensions on mag, you are basically at g19 grip length. Therefore, buying one means you need it for the thinner profile, because the grip length advantage is voided with the extension, or just rock a six shot and keep the shorter grip. I prefer having the extra two rds. I pretty much carry the 43 only in summer months for this reason.

I'm pretty similar to this. It very often gets clipped into the waistband of athletic clothing when I need something small and light. It's no G19, but I don't ask it to be. I like the Shield much better overall, but not for the role I use the G43 in. I typically carry mine with the 6rd mag w/pinky extension and have a spare mag with the Vickers +2 extension. If you already have a medium sized gun, I'd try the G43. If your smallest gun is G17 sized, maybe the Shield is a better fit for you.

panzerr
12-24-17, 21:09
Why not an M&P Shield 2.0 in 9mm? It has a slightly higher capacity, is easier to reload and is a better shooting single stack 9mm.

Besides, Brownells has the Shield for $400, plus $30 bucks off, free shipping and a $75 brownells gift card.

davidjinks
12-24-17, 23:22
I haven't researched anything about the Shield.

There aren't many ranges in my immediate area that I can go and rent guns to try them out. I believe the closest place to me is about a 2 hour drive.

I'll do a bit of reading and see what the shield has to offer.

Why not an M&P Shield 2.0 in 9mm? It has a slightly higher capacity, is easier to reload and is a better shooting single stack 9mm.

Besides, Brownells has the Shield for $400, plus $30 bucks off, free shipping and a $75 brownells gift card.

Firefly
12-24-17, 23:25
It depends on how big your hand is, really.

I wanted a G43 until I realized it was like holding the Noisy Cricket and not comfortable for me to shoot.

My go gun is a G19.

You give up a good degree of comfort for a tad more concealability.

I wont disparage the new Shields as I have no point of reference but really, I can get by with a G19 even in summer.

But YMMV

EzGoingKev
12-24-17, 23:49

For me it is more than a tad. My 43 disappears in my belt line. I have worn fairly tight t-shirts and people still could not tell I was carrying a gun.

5.56 Bonded SP
12-25-17, 00:11
If you want a pocket gun, get the sig p238
If you want to iwb carry, get a g26.

G43 is decent, but not quiet a pocket gun in my opinion.

556A2
12-25-17, 00:35

The hinged trigger sucks, adding Apex parts negates the price, having to remove the rear sight to access the slide internals, slide stop can't even be used (don't give me that horseshit that you HAVE to always rack the slide), and personally I've had more malfunctions with the Shield than the G43.

My only complaint with the G43 is it's snappiness. YMMV

Achilles11B
12-25-17, 02:18
Do you have any trigger time with the 26 and/or the 43? I owned a 43 for a bit but it was just too slim for my hands. I sold it and bought a 26 and never looked back. Both are great guns, figure out which feels better in your hands and then get practicing with it.

arptsprt
12-25-17, 05:52
I like my G43 for deep concealment in a holster but I wouldn’t consider it a pocket gun. I also like the size and weight to throw in my fly fishing vest.

Mine has been reliable but I have to say I really do not like shooting it. In general, it’s very snappy in my hands especially without the grip extender on the mag. I have a Springfield XDs9 that frankly I like to shoot more but the very small differences in weight and size, narrowness in particular, mean I’m using the G43 more.

I will add that my primary carry rig is a G19 IWB in a Sparks VM2 holster. The G43 is more of an option for quick carry needs (appendix carry). Good luck.

panzerr
12-25-17, 07:38
The hinged trigger sucks, adding Apex parts negates the price, having to remove the rear sight to access the slide internals, slide stop can't even be used (don't give me that horseshit that you HAVE to always rack the slide), and personally I've had more malfunctions with the Shield than the G43.

My only complaint with the G43 is it's snappiness. YMMV

The 2.0 fixes the trigger and your experiences with malfunctions are irrelevant (sample size 1) just as my experiences with having no malfunctions are irrelevant. The shield has been around for several years now -long enough to birth an updated version.

I want to want to buy a G43, but that damn grip is so small that doing reloads will equate to lots of skin pinching.

para13cord
12-25-17, 07:58
The 43 is awesome and I would buy one again in a heartbeat. I have had one for about two years now and shoot it regularly. Its small enough to carry in gym shorts and shoots nice especially considering the size. I had both and I prefer it to the Shield, due to the trigger and the grip ergos. The shield is just a little bit longer in the grip. I have pretty average size hands but if yours are huge you may prefer the shield. Its not a big difference but its noticeable.

young_gun
12-25-17, 09:02
I bought a 43 the other day. To me it feels similar to shooting a 442 but you get one more round with stock mags. I ordered the Vickers +2 base plates and I’ll see how I like them. Also got a TLR-6 to try out.

The only thing I hate about it is that it’s way too small for my hands and I got a blister on the bottom of my trigger finger (any tips to stop that from happening?) but I would rank it above the 442 or 642.

davidjinks
12-25-17, 09:17
I have fairly large hands. My wife would say I have meat hooks for hands.

G17 is what I EDC. Soon will be going back to the 19. There are times and places that a 19 isn't doable. I need a higher degree of concealment at times.

I wanted a G43 until I realized it was like holding the Noisy Cricket and not comfortable for me to shoot.

My go gun is a G19.

I wont disparage the new Shields as I have no point of reference but really, I can get by with a G19 even in summer.

But YMMV

davidjinks
12-25-17, 09:20
When you say similar to the 442 in regards to shooting...

I use Speer GDHP 135 +P for carry ammo. With the research I've been doing on ammo lately, is most likely go to a standard pressure 124 or 147 grain round.

I bought a 43 the other day. To me it feels similar to shooting a 442 but you get one more round with stock mags. I ordered the Vickers +2 base plates and I’ll see how I like them. Also got a TLR-6 to try out.

The only thing I hate about it is that it’s way too small for my hands and I got a blister on the bottom of my trigger finger (any tips to stop that from happening?) but I would rank it above the 442 or 642.

davidjinks
12-25-17, 09:24
I had a G26, 27 and 33 for a long time before I got a wheel gun.

That was my go-to gun for summer and when I needed that extra concealment. I never felt comfortable carrying it in a pocket but I had an awesome Blade-Tech holster for it that allowed a very comfortable/concealable IWB carry.

Do you have any trigger time with the 26 and/or the 43? I owned a 43 for a bit but it was just too slim for my hands. I sold it and bought a 26 and never looked back. Both are great guns, figure out which feels better in your hands and then get practicing with it.

davidjinks
12-25-17, 09:26
I would definitely like to hear what, if any, new information you have.

I need to update that thread. Gun is now 6000+ rounds, several more loads, no issues. Seeing similar broad-spectrum reliability from other G43s. Recommended.

TactiCool1976
12-25-17, 09:41
Don't do it!!

Go with a G26, with a pinky grip, and u can run a g19 mag too for back up

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1911-A1
12-25-17, 10:19
I was all about a subcompact single stack Glock, and then slowly realized once I had it that I'm large enough to carry a G19 or something similar, so I really have no excuse but laziness not to. The 43 is ok if I'm wearing something that doesn't allow a G19, but that's really rare for me.

So, I'm selling the 43 and going back to my original CCW, a chopped G17 with a light and it conceals just fine.

3ACR_Scout
12-25-17, 10:44
I’d recommend taking a sanding stick or emery board and smoothing down the front edge of the trigger safety. When new, it has a mold seam that can be kind of sharp and may irritate your finger during long shooting sessions.

Not sure if I’ve posted this here before, but I’m personally not a fan of the serrated trigger and decided to swap the factory trigger out for a smooth one, and I used that issue with the plating as justification to jump into it. The G43 trigger isn't as easy to swap because its trigger bar is a different length than the next closest one with a smooth trigger, the G42. I ordered separate G42 and G43 trigger assemblies and removed the plastic trigger shoe from the G42 trigger bar by driving the pin through the opposite side of the trigger with a thin steel punch. After removing the serrated G43 trigger from the new bar, I installed the smooth G42 trigger on the G43 bar and pushed the pin back in until it was flush. Following a tip I read on another forum, I used JB Weld to fill the hole on the other side of the trigger where I had driven the pin through. I let it cure for 24 hours, and then I used a hobby chisel and fine sand paper to smooth down the hardened blob of JB Weld. The stuff dries with a dark gray color that stood out a little, so I used a black Sharpie marker to darken it so it blends in with the rest of the trigger pretty well.

Here's the new smooth trigger on my G43:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/6AidQdym9k7QshDRH7DvF19xS4BPvKQXc5MKW-chhZSzDtSpQSasPeYcB81VTOjAzw8uxCitEsvRK1OvfQ=w1024-h768

You can see the round smudge where I smoothed and blackened the JB Weld - it shows up better in this photo than in person:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8ibtxIlo4OKz3PUIlEsYmCTZx8fKQKrLYlJ9NMqXflBZYE7e3yWhLncgUJsdB-h8oNSTnacXBoPRmz_68A=w1024-h768

This was a fun, quick project that cost me about $25 for the extra G42 and G43 trigger assemblies. I could have saved half of that by using the original G43 trigger bar, but the chipped plating would have bugged me.

When you say similar to the 442 in regards to shooting...
I use Speer GDHP 135 +P for carry ammo. With the research I've been doing on ammo lately, is most likely go to a standard pressure 124 or 147 grain round.
After reading a lot of test results from people that are much smarter about ammo than me, I settled on Federal HSTs in either 124 or 147 gr as the best round for the G43. +P or standard pressure aren’t much different in terms of performance. I’ve been a dedicated Gold Dot user for the past decade, but in a short barrel like the G43’s, HSTs simply perform better in terms of expansion and penetration.

Eurodriver
12-25-17, 12:40

+1

G43 is the only Glock I’ll own that isn’t a 19. I carry it everywhere. Ditched my 642 long ago.

ST911
12-25-17, 12:43

Done.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?168463-WHAT-S-SHIPPING-Glock-Model-43-9x19mm&p=2578053#post2578053

Firefly
12-25-17, 15:20
FWIW, I dont think the G43 is irrelevant at all. It has a niche for smaller statured/smaller handed people and is way more comfy than a G26. It's in a moderately similar niche as G36, but in a more reasonable cartridge.

But, my hands arent unproportionally "big" but I am a bigger person and have longer hands and the G42 I tried bit me a time or two. Not the guns fault.

But if I were a 5'2" 105lb female, a G43 with a +1 or +2 mag would definitely be my go to town gun. I think the trigger could be a smidge lighter.

opngrnd
12-25-17, 15:22
Done.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?168463-WHAT-S-SHIPPING-Glock-Model-43-9x19mm&p=2578053#post2578053

Excellent updates, and thanks for all of the documentation. I lean heavily towards Euro in that I feel we would benefit if we went out and shot our stuff more as a foundation. This is an excellent example of that.

usmcvet
12-25-17, 16:13

My go gun is a G19.

But YMMV

The Shield is my every day gun. I carry it in a Desantis pocket holster. I wanted to like the Glock but it's tiny in my hand. I think Vickers covers it well. The Shield carries more ammo and is easier for me to shoot well. I have the Mag Guts plus one in the guns 7 round mag and a plus two in the 8 round mags.

lt211
12-25-17, 16:14
Shot my friends Glock 43 at the range and was totally impressed. I carried a Glock 26 for over ten years and now I carry the Shield 9. I am encouraging my daughter to buy the Glock 43 for off duty. Shooting Speer GD 124 +P I was pleasantly surprised... not the kick and recoil I expected. It was pleasant, nice trigger and very tight groups. I carry IWB crossbreed supertuck and love the slimness of the shield but I wouldn't hesitate to carry the glock 43 in the summer or all year... I would go G43 over the S&W revolver in my opinion.

Vegas
12-25-17, 17:05
Having experience with both the Shield 1.0 and G43, my personal take is the 43 is more comfortable in hand, shoots decent with Vickers +2. However, while the Shield isn't as good of a fit for my hand, I shoot it much better. Wife felt the same way. Recoil/snapiness seems about the same to me. I don't really think you can go wrong with either tbf.

Just to throw something else in the mix, I was impressed with a friend's Walther PPS M2. Don't have a lot of time on it but ergos and trigger are nice.