PDA

View Full Version : Ruger's new "Security 9"

Slater
12-24-17, 22:25
So is this just a compact version of their American Pistol? Wonder if there'll be a "Security 40"?

https://www.ruger.com/products/security9/models.html

Tokarev
12-25-17, 06:31
Nope. It is a different design. Not based on the American but rather the LCP II.

The American is striker fired and is a chassis gun. The LCP II is a hammer fired gun and the frame's internal mechanism isn't removable as a group. The Security 9 is also hammer fired and doesn't have a removable chassis.

Other differences between the American and Security 9. No ambi controls on the S9 and no interchangeable grip panels.

Guns are shipping now. One sold yesterday on gunbroker for $285. I assume the price will drop to $250 or so in a couple weeks. At prices like this Ruger is bound to sell a bunch of them. For that kind of money I'll pick one up after the holidays to play with.

This video helps demonstrate what the gun's internals look like.

https://youtu.be/ZqaOTEcH-GQ

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

m4brian
12-25-17, 10:27
Hammer type reminds me of the Creed.

jaholder
12-27-17, 17:33
Meh. I wasn't a big fan of Smith and Wesson rebranding their new polymer pistols under their old Military and Police line, I've got the same feelings about this as well. When I first saw this I thought Ruger was maybe bringing back the old revolver, color me old, set in my ways and disappointed.

ritepath
12-27-17, 18:02
First ruger pistol other than the LCPs that I've had any interest in for a long while. For that price I could put one in each car, and my tackle bag.

Tokarev
12-27-17, 20:07
Meh. I wasn't a big fan of Smith and Wesson rebranding their new polymer pistols under their old Military and Police line, I've got the same feelings about this as well. When I first saw this I thought Ruger was maybe bringing back the old revolver, color me old, set in my ways and disappointed.

I don't know what else they can do. They've pretty much gotten all the mileage they can out of "American."

Should've called it the Security 15 or 16, no?

Tokarev
12-27-17, 21:17
http://www.recoilweb.com/ruger-releases-security-9-132331.html

SomeOtherGuy
01-03-18, 09:58
Nope. It is a different design. Not based on the American but rather the LCP II.
The American is striker fired and is a chassis gun. The LCP II is a hammer fired gun and the frame's internal mechanism isn't removable as a group. The Security 9 is also hammer fired and doesn't have a removable chassis.

So the $250 question is... why? This is very close in size and capacity to the "American Pistol", which is still a relatively recent design. The RAP isn't awesome, but it doesn't seem to have any terrible flaws either (both comments based on my personal experience with one that I own). Why is Ruger introducing this "Security 9" to compete with its own recent design? This is starting to make me think of the Taurus model, "build everything we can think of, change it yearly, and abandon it quickly." Not a good model IMHO.

m4brian
01-03-18, 10:37
I think a DAO pistol with that many safeties is unethical. 🙂

Tokarev
01-03-18, 10:41
So the $250 question is... why? This is very close in size and capacity to the "American Pistol", which is still a relatively recent design. The RAP isn't awesome, but it doesn't seem to have any terrible flaws either (both comments based on my personal experience with one that I own). Why is Ruger introducing this "Security 9" to compete with its own recent design? This is starting to make me think of the Taurus model, "build everything we can think of, change it yearly, and abandon it quickly." Not a good model IMHO.

I ask myself the same question. Why bring this model to market when, clearly, a midsize American would make more sense. Ruger could sell the entire pistol or just a 4" slide kit, mag and grip module.

I can only think of two reasons why Ruger has chosen to go this route:

1--They wanted something that was cheap to compete with the Taurus and other imported pistols. Such a gun is designed to compete at the bottom end of the market and not against Glocks, Americans, M&Ps, etc.

2--The American has been more or less a sales flop and Ruger has no desire to spend more marketing funds and R&D money on a gun that hasn't sold like they'd anticipated.

I guess I'm thinking the answer is probably a combination of these two.

There's really nothing wrong with the American but it really doesn't offer anything or do anything that can't be had with other more established designs. It is also rather big and heavy compared to competing designs. Ruger also completely missed the boat with the chassis design. Why make a chassis that isn't common across the full- and compact-size guns? And why not sell parts that make use of the chassis?

I've had an American since that gun was first launched. It is accurate and reliable. But, at the end of the day, I would call it "adequate."

Slater
01-03-18, 11:37
At that potential price point they've even cheaper than the Turkish imports.

Doc Safari
01-03-18, 11:39
When I first saw this I thought Ruger was maybe bringing back the old revolver, color me old, set in my ways and disappointed.

Me as well. I never liked the abbreviated grip frames of the GP100 or SP101. Bring back the Security 6, Service Six, and Speed Six!

Tokarev
01-09-18, 05:51
Alright, I have my sample.

Initial impressions are generally good. The trigger is quite useable and is probably better than a bunch of other similar guns. It might be the best thing about the gun.

Ergonomics are decent and the controls seem logical. Unlike the American the Security 9 seems designed for a high thumbs grip. The grip circumference is a bit small for me but shouldn't really be a problem. I doubt that will be a complaint for most people and I'd rather have the grip be a bit small VS a bit large.

The gun points a little high for me. Not Glock high but a little high. I guess I'd compare it to about half the muzzle high attitude of a Glock for those who are used to a 1911 and some other pistols.

The one caveat to the above is the thumb safety. As already reported, the safety comes off easily enough and shouldn't be an issue. Putting it back on is another story. Leverage is wrong so the master grip does have to be broken to re-engage. Maybe this isn't a big deal but I'd prefer the safety to be easier to flip back on.

Also, I find it odd that the gun is completely right handed. In the day and age of modularity and fully ambidextrous pistols the Ruger is a complete throwback. A lefty can probably still work with the gun as long as he leaves the thumb safety off. Looking at the pistol, it would require a redesign to add a right and left side safety lever since the disconnector is on the right side directly across from the current safety. Again, maybe this isn't a big deal but I'm a bit surprised Ruger did not made the safety ambidextrous right out of the gate. At a minimum the safety should be workable by right and left shooters.

The gun comes with two mags that pop out nicely when the mag release is pressed.

One thing to mention. The gun is very close in shape and size to the Glock 19 and will sort of fit in a couple different 19 holsters I have on hand. It fits tightly in a Perun, fits pretty well in a Blade Tech G17 holster (which is a little too long) and works okay in my old Bianchi IWB. I'll use the leather holster for now as it seems to work the best.

Overall, I think Ruger will probably sell a bunch of these based on name and price alone. It will probably be a great seller to first time buyers and people with a small budget. More serious students of the pistol will probably either love it or hate it depending on their expectations and comfort with other designs.

No rounds fired yet. I'll try to fix that ASAP.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180109/882ea0c3d9c43bccdf8f7fb9c7d643ee.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180109/7785b04b9be50387db80e833562e2e81.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180109/b0cc7bf2863b04d782353c8ad06e66c9.jpg

m4brian
01-09-18, 19:26
Actually that is a pretty nice looking piece, and maybe a good car gun.

jaholder
01-09-18, 21:33
Me as well. I never liked the abbreviated grip frames of the GP100 or SP101. Bring back the Security 6, Service Six, and Speed Six!

I'd buy one. If they made a security Six in .22 LR or Magnum I'd make it rain dollar bills at my LGS tomorrow!

Pacific5th
01-09-18, 23:47
Tokarev, do you know if it can use the bigger SR9 magazine? I’ve seen it reported but not confirmed. Also not sure if it related but Ruger dropped the budget SR9e this week.

Tokarev
01-10-18, 05:24
Tokarev, do you know if it can use the bigger SR9 magazine? I’ve seen it reported but not confirmed. Also not sure if it related but Ruger dropped the budget SR9e this week.No, sir. They will not fit. The SR mag is retained in the pistol by a notch in the front. The S9 mag is retained by a notch in the side.

SR mags will fit but not lock in. I'm sure it would be possible to cut a notch in the SR mag if one absolutely needed to.

Tokarev
01-10-18, 05:26
I'd buy one. If they made a security Six in .22 LR or Magnum I'd make it rain dollar bills at my LGS tomorrow!Ruger still makes the Redhawk that has the more conventional grip frame. That's as close as we'll ever get to the original line of DA revolvers. Maybe someday they'll make a 12 shot 22LR Redhawk...

ww2farmer
01-10-18, 07:03
I like Ruger products.....own a bunch, but I am just so "mehhhh" about the polymer pistols they put out.

I hand an SR9 for a while, it was OK. But I got bored with it and traded it for an M&P 9. The American was never even in the running for a replacement to the SR9.

At this price point, they will sell a boat load of them. I would consider it...maybe.

m4brian
01-10-18, 07:24
They are LIGHTER than a G19?

Tokarev
01-10-18, 07:55
They are LIGHTER than a G19?

I haven't checked my pistol on my little postage scale but it has been my experience that Ruger's products run true to published weight.

m4brian
01-10-18, 08:44
Range report would be appreciated. Considered a car gun in the form of a Creed or plastic CZ clone. This may be better. Would like to hear about accuracy and shoot-ability.

Also, what is the aluminum chassis? The rails?

My guess about the safety operation is that some will choose not to use it, The precocked hammer and trigger drop safety negate the need for it.

Ambi costs more, so they skipped that for cost.

Thanks.

Tokarev
01-10-18, 09:50
Range report would be appreciated. Considered a car gun in the form of a Creed or plastic CZ clone. This may be better. Would like to hear about accuracy and shoot-ability.

My guess about the safety operation is that some will choose not to use it, The precocked hammer and trigger drop safety negate the need for it.

Thanks.

Oh, yeah. I have no doubt the ambi safety lever would have added more to the cost. But I still think Ruger should have done something like this to add to the broader market appeal. They have to be aware that most people expect some ambi features or adaptability nowadays. I say this because the new little PCC has a switchable mag release and bolt handle.

The chassis is aluminum and appears to be the frame rails and also extend down into the frame area for the trigger and hammer pins. But the chassis isn't removable so I'm not sure just how much material is in there.

The trigger is surprisingly good. If you've messed at all with the LCPII you have some frame of reference.

Still wanting to shoot and give a range report. But the weather isn't cooperating. Rain in today's forecast.

jaholder
01-10-18, 21:34
Ruger still makes the Redhawk that has the more conventional grip frame. That's as close as we'll ever get to the original line of DA revolvers. Maybe someday they'll make a 12 shot 22LR Redhawk...

Never say never...

godsmack
02-20-18, 20:15
Handled one today at the LGS, have to say I am interested.

Tequila45
02-22-18, 07:16

Thanks.

I have put rounds though this and I can say it is a nice shooter. The trigger is great out of the box and it’s not one of those “it’s good enough for $250” no, it’s actually a good trigger. The grip feels good in hand, the safety is accessible but I would not use it anyway. The sights I would say are the weakest link but only because I’m not a fan of plain three dots. As far as a car gun? absolutely! people on a budget? Definitely! I would recommend this over the Sr9, American, or the caniks for guns in this price range.