PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading parts: better to do once, or bit by bit?

Augee
10-25-06, 21:28
Hello,

As you know, I only just got my first AR that didn't have a butt number painted on it (though I may do that to mine, just for fun!) in September, with the final goal of having an M4 clone as close to legal standards of form and function in a civilian carbine, in order to train with it/improve my marksmanship/learn to deal with malfunctions/learn to avoid malfunctions/gain overall "second nature" familiarity with the weapon system.

However, the parts that were originally a part of the rifle, I never even realized were different than USGI parts, and I'm finding that there are parts that I'd like to swap out. Unfortunately, I haven't got a whole lot of cash to throw around, and my plans for right now, are to just buy uprgrades to my rifle piece by piece, taking it out and shooting often while I do.

Is there any problem with this plan from what everyone can tell? Should I be concerned about parts wearing or any of that? Right now, most importantly, I'm running a semi-auto bolt carrier that's fully open in the back (C profile when seen from the rear...and turned ninety degrees counterclockwise...), but I'd rather get a mil-spec carrier, as well as an H buffer to replace my standard carbine weight buffer. Should I just go ahead and bite the bullet and buy everything all at once? Or can I feel confident just continuing to use the parts I have, and replacing them bit by bit?

Thanks,
~Augee

bigbore
10-25-06, 21:38
If its not broke dont fix it;)

KevinB
10-25-06, 21:45
I'm with BigBore.

I don't replace factory parts until they get near what I consider MTBF, other than "O"rings or Defenders in the bolts.

(of course I have 7 AR's...)

I try not to run the Colt 'C' cut bolts since I've noticed they tend to tear the buffer a bit.

Augee
10-25-06, 21:50
So should I try to get a new bolt carrier in the near future?

KevinB
10-25-06, 22:36
Only if you want to -- its not needed.
I just relegated the two I have into my spares pile.

Robb Jensen
10-26-06, 05:25
Instead of buying a new carrier you could go with a H2 or H3 buffer and a Crane 0-ring for the extractor spring and it should run just fine. I wouldn't replace anything else unless it breaks. Spend the rest of your money on ammo and good mags.

M4arc
10-26-06, 09:11
I suggest you run it as is for now and spend your money on quality magazines, ammo and a membership to a local range. There's no better learning tool than to run it until you start having problems and then troubleshooting the issue (we can help you with that) and replacing parts as needed (we'll help you there as well).

Like you said, learn the system; once you start shooting the weakest links will become apparent and you can use that as an opportunity to the platform ;)

VA_Dinger
10-26-06, 10:07
I suggest you run it as is for now and spend your money on quality magazines, ammo and a membership to a local range. There's no better learning tool than to run it until you start having problems and then troubleshooting the issue (we can help you with that) and replacing parts as needed (we'll help you there as well).

Like you said, learn the system; once you start shooting the weakest links will become apparent and you can use that as an opportunity to the platform ;)

Sound advise.