PDA

View Full Version : Glock extractor prematurely worn out?

El Pistolero
12-27-17, 19:58
Hello,
I have a Glock 19 Gen 4, with approximately 3000 rounds through it. Over the last few hundred rounds fired I had about 5 failures to extract and two failures to eject when using steel or aluminum cased ammo. The rim of the case being extracted would hit the case mouth of the top round in the magazine and the extractor would let go while the slide continues almost all the way to the rear before remaining jammed open.

I was also hit in the face several times and ejection has become erratic with some casings being ejected forward and others to the right. I bought the gun new and until recently it was ejecting consistently and without any problems. I’m wondering if it’s possible for the MIM-produced extractors to wear out prematurely and what the best fix for it is.

Do non-LCI Gen 3 extractors work in the Gen 4? I’ve also heard great things about the Apex extractor but they are pricey.

As far as the ammo possibly being the culprit, I have previously shot hundreds and hundreds of steel and aluminum case ammo at a time without any problems. Also, as a “serious use” gun it absolutely has to work with any and all ammo for me to even consider carrying it.

An Undocumented Worker
12-27-17, 20:44
I'd replace your extractor and recoil springs first and see what happens.

L-2
12-27-17, 21:20
I don't know if this is just a similar thread or the same person I've answered on other forums previously, but here's my experience (again).

I've got many years with Glocks (since ~'94) and have never worn or broken an extractor, but breakages of extractors do occur and is usually plainly visible by being a chipped hook. I don't believe any MIM extractors are wearing prematurely, to specifically answer the question in the OP.

A non-LCI extractor can work in a Gen4, even though the only one now available new is part#98 with a 90º profile. Glock also recommends the part#1176 spring loaded bearing with the non-LCI extractor. This #98 wouldn't be a Gen3 extractor but more like a Gen1 or Gen2 extractor. I don't actually remember which generations had 90º extractors, but don't believe there were any Gen3 slides with such. There still may be found Gen3 non-LCI extractors however, whether used or never-used-new ones.

I don't recommend the APEX Tactical "FRE" extractors (there different ones for Gen3 vs. Gen4 versions the last time I looked). I bought a Gen3 Apex extractor a few years ago and it caused other problems with my G17Gen3 (the 30274 ejector cured my problem) and the extractor also didn't work with my G19Gen3. I found that extractor would function fine in my G34Gen3, at least, should I ever care to use it. That Apex extractor caused the spent casing to be pulled entirely over the ejector, causing a horizontal stovepipe situation as the slide closed still holding onto the spent casing.

Occasionally, Glocks (and any other make & model, too) can become frustrating as in the OP's G19Gen4. I can only advise what I'd try, not to say it'll actually become cured:
-make absolutely sure the parts are put together exactly correctly, such as the "EDP" not reversed.
-ensure the extractor and it's place in the slide is completely clean. I like using an old dental pick to clean this area but other tools can work to scrape the debris away, instead. Related area is scraping the breech-face.
-try a spare (if you don't have one, get one) recoil spring assembly as I'm wondering if there's a timing issue involved between ammo, slide speed, and magazine spring pushing up the next round. I couldn't quite picture what's happening in the OP's problem-scenario.
-and try name-brand JHP carry ammo (e.g. Winchester or Federal, which is what I use, but there are other brands). As the problem just manifested suddenly, the only thing from the OP's description which would be new or different is ammo (each round is only used once, not just the same brand or type) and wear on the springs (which 3,000 rounds is not much on a 9mm Glock).

There could be other things but it helps to remember what the subject gun has had taken apart or replaced over this 3,000 round life time.

Photos of the subject gun may or may not help. Examining and shooting the subject gun is the best way to see and determine what is the problem. Examining and shooting one's own gun may take time, patience, and involve doing the same thing over & over expecting difference results (but really it's not seeing something wrong which another person might notice right away).

AKDoug
12-27-17, 23:57
Unlike L2, I had excellent luck with an Apex extractor in my G4G19 that had BTF problems. My other G4G19 has zero issues. Both are at about 5K rounds.

Wake27
12-28-17, 01:18
Unlike L2, I had excellent luck with an Apex extractor in my G4G19 that had BTF problems. My other G4G19 has zero issues. Both are at about 5K rounds.

My only experience with the Apex FRE is in an aftermarket slide so I don’t know that it ever would have had issues, but it works very well. I do wish it retained the LCI feature though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Pistolero
12-28-17, 01:35
L-2, thanks for the long informative post. I’ve never posted about Glock problems on any site. Here’s a picture I snapped of the typical malfunction I was having:

https://i.imgur.com/dUsv7NG.jpg

Joe Mamma
12-28-17, 04:26
El Pistolero, I have seen this exact problem before. Without knowing more, I agree that you should focus on your extractor spring, and making sure that extractor spring/EDP assembly is correct. I would also guess that your extractor is fine.

By any chance, did you recently change to new magazines or new magazine springs?

Joe Mamma

mark5pt56
12-28-17, 05:31
I don't know if this is just a similar thread or the same person I've answered on other forums previously, but here's my experience (again).

I've got many years with Glocks (since ~'94) and have never worn or broken an extractor, but breakages of extractors do occur and is usually plainly visible by being a chipped hook. I don't believe any MIM extractors are wearing prematurely, to specifically answer the question in the OP.

A non-LCI extractor can work in a Gen4, even though the only one now available new is part#98 with a 90º profile. Glock also recommends the part#1176 spring loaded bearing with the non-LCI extractor. This #98 wouldn't be a Gen3 extractor but more like a Gen1 or Gen2 extractor. I don't actually remember which generations had 90º extractors, but don't believe there were any Gen3 slides with such. There still may be found Gen3 non-LCI extractors however, whether used or never-used-new ones.

I don't recommend the APEX Tactical "FRE" extractors (there different ones for Gen3 vs. Gen4 versions the last time I looked). I bought a Gen3 Apex extractor a few years ago and it caused other problems with my G17Gen3 (the 30274 ejector cured my problem) and the extractor also didn't work with my G19Gen3. I found that extractor would function fine in my G34Gen3, at least, should I ever care to use it. That Apex extractor caused the spent casing to be pulled entirely over the ejector, causing a horizontal stovepipe situation as the slide closed still holding onto the spent casing.

Occasionally, Glocks (and any other make & model, too) can become frustrating as in the OP's G19Gen4. I can only advise what I'd try, not to say it'll actually become cured:
-make absolutely sure the parts are put together exactly correctly, such as the "EDP" not reversed.
-ensure the extractor and it's place in the slide is completely clean. I like using an old dental pick to clean this area but other tools can work to scrape the debris away, instead. Related area is scraping the breech-face.
-try a spare (if you don't have one, get one) recoil spring assembly as I'm wondering if there's a timing issue involved between ammo, slide speed, and magazine spring pushing up the next round. I couldn't quite picture what's happening in the OP's problem-scenario.
-and try name-brand JHP carry ammo (e.g. Winchester or Federal, which is what I use, but there are other brands). As the problem just manifested suddenly, the only thing from the OP's description which would be new or different is ammo (each round is only used once, not just the same brand or type) and wear on the springs (which 3,000 rounds is not much on a 9mm Glock).

There could be other things but it helps to remember what the subject gun has had taken apart or replaced over this 3,000 round life time.

Photos of the subject gun may or may not help. Examining and shooting the subject gun is the best way to see and determine what is the problem. Examining and shooting one's own gun may take time, patience, and involve doing the same thing over & over expecting difference results (but really it's not seeing something wrong which another person might notice right away).

I would do this first before going online and buying bandaids. If you do find a broken part, replace with OEM.

dwhitehorne
12-28-17, 07:31
I can't see how an extractor claw gets worn out with such soft metal casings. Even the steel cased ammo is nothing compared to the hardness of the extractor. Have you ever pulled the extractor out and cleaned behind it? I know with lower priced ammo it is quite dirty and the recess in the slide behind the extractor can collect up a lot of debris. It is possible for anything to break but I would think a good detailed cleaning will help. Maybe an extractor spring if the cleaning itself doesn't work. Those springs are usually quite durable though. Good luck. David

Doc Safari
12-28-17, 09:16
Could it also be lacquer residue left over in the chamber from the steel-cased ammo that is causing the cases to occasionally stick and not extract/eject properly?

El Pistolero
12-28-17, 09:58
I’ve done a detail strip and clean with emphasis on the extractor and its area of the slide, including the channel the spring goes in. I will shoot it again before replacing anything and see if a deep cleaning is all it needed. The only non-OEM parts in it are a Ghost Edge 3.5 trigger connector, LWD 6-lb trigger spring, night sights, and a Glock extended slide release.

Are extra-power extractor springs available? I notice the Glock extractor has very little purchase on the case rim.

https://i.imgur.com/lvcQV1u.jpg

El Pistolero
12-28-17, 10:02
Could it also be lacquer residue left over in the chamber from the steel-cased ammo that is causing the cases to occasionally stick and not extract/eject properly?

I haven’t shot any lacquer-coated steel ammo through this particular gun, only the polymer-coated that Tulammo makes.

darr3239
12-28-17, 11:04
I'll bet that wouldn't happen with brass cased ammo. I get the idea of wanting to save money though.

sundance435
12-28-17, 14:19
I take it the problem happens across different mags? Are all of the mags new with gun (ruling out followers). As others have said, the extractor is the last part I'd try, unless nothing else works. I'm not a metallurgist or an engineer, but I doubt a MIM part "wears" any faster than a regular casting or forging. If a MIM part is going to fail prematurely, it would be in the first few hundred rounds, but less likely at 3000.

3,000 rounds is also not an unheard of amount before for needing a new extractor spring, even for a Glock. Anyway, steel cased ammo is an unquantifiable variable for me regarding malfunctions, which is why I avoid it.

L-2
12-29-17, 15:01
I should now add to my long, Post#3, I also get these failures to extract when shooting various steel-cased ammo, such as Tula.
I don't worry about it too much as it's not my carry ammo. I could speculate it's rim dimensions; maybe rounds bunching within the mags; occasional weakly loaded rounds; but I really don't worry about it much other than double-checking my extractor when I clean after each range session.

This was shooting my G26Gen3 and G26Gen4 today. Shoot, practice, clean, inspect, and if the FTExtract problems are really a bother in one's range ammo, use different ammo. As I know the limitations of this Tula steel-cased ammo, I'm ok with it for general, casual range work.

El Pistolero
12-29-17, 22:26
Magazines used were all Magpul of 15, 17, and 21 round capacities. I don’t believe extraction issues to be affected by the mags in any way.

As to the ammo, I will use brass only for the next couple range sessions to eliminate that variable and then try aluminum and steel again and see if it is indeed an ammo issue. FWIW I actually use more aluminum case than steel case if I’m not shooting brass because I don’t care for the steel jacketed bi-metal rounds used in the commie ammo. That said I have a SIG P226 with nearly 20k rounds of Tula and Wolf fired through it without a single malfunction.

Phillygunguy
12-29-17, 23:10

I actually tried this myself but unfortunately it didn't work and worse, it introduced a new problem, light primer strikes.

Joe Mamma
12-30-17, 07:48
Magazines used were all Magpul of 15, 17, and 21 round capacities. I don’t believe extraction issues to be affected by the mags in any way.

You may be right. But I have seen the exact same problem you are having simply caused by new (not factory Glock) magazine springs. The higher spring pressure against the top round in the magazine creates more of an problem when the fired/extracting case rim is coming back and hits the forward edge of the case of the top round in the mag. Let me know if I am not explaining this clearly.

Once the magazine springs were used a bit (and the springs weakened), the problem went away completely. This was in a gun that had previously fired many thousands of rounds (of the ammo that was problematic) without any problems. After the springs were worn, the gun did not have any problems with the same ammo (or any ammo).

You can get a better idea of whether or not this is the problem by hand cycling rounds though your gun with various magazines.

I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma

RHINOWSO
12-30-17, 09:10

As to the ammo, I will use brass only for the next couple range sessions to eliminate that variable and then try aluminum and steel again and see if it is indeed an ammo issue. FWIW I actually use more aluminum case than steel case if I’m not shooting brass because I don’t care for the steel jacketed bi-metal rounds used in the commie ammo. That said I have a SIG P226 with nearly 20k rounds of Tula and Wolf fired through it without a single malfunction.

Interesting - I have had a handful of failures with Magpul mags (15/17/21rd) this month with Wolf steel. I think there is a friction issue with steel and PMAGs, because when unloading the mags several times, the following rounds take visible time to get pushed up into position. It's visibly noticeable that the rounds are dragging in the magazine and slowly feeding into position. Weather has been cool (40s-50s) but not crazy cold.

Bonus is my failure skills are on point now. :D

I haven't been back to the range yet but I broke out a couple more OEM Glock mags for the training mag pool and will see if it's a magazine issue or ammo issue. It hasn't happened with Brass in the Magpuls but its been a couple of months since I shot brass in them.

ETA - majority of my failures were failure to feed.

DGB
12-30-17, 21:32
I had this problem with a Gen 4 G26. Numerous failure to extract. I replaced the extractor with a Glock extractor at 2028 rounds because I have a number on hand. It now has another 2681 rounds and has been flawless. I'm assuming it was the extractor, I don't know why, I have a bunch of Glocks and this is the only extractor I've changed. I have a Gen 3 19 that's close to 20,000 rounds with every factory part except connector and sights. I use factory Glock mags and Magpul.

young_gun
12-30-17, 22:35
I recently had the same problem with my gen 4 G19 starting at about 3500 rounds. After an increase in the amount of malfunctions I was having during a class (maybe 1 failure every 5 mags) I brought it up to the instructor. He told me that he usually changes extractor and recoil springs at 3000 rounds on a carry piece.

I ordered up some extractor springs ($3.50) and a recoil assembly ($16ish) from Brownells and replaced both of those. The gun is now running like it used to and I’m a happy camper.

The steel case thing is kind of BS as far as I’m concerned since I stopped buying brass cased ammo except for Gold Dots. 3500 of my 5500ish rounds have been Wolf, including a 1400 round two day class where I never cleaned the chamber. Like someone else said, understand the limitations of crappy ammo and you’ll be all good.

If I was you I would order a few extractor springs and move on. It’s not really worth the time of trying to figure out this problem when the most likely fix is a $3.50 spring.

Also Magpul Glock mags have been garbage in my experience (sample size of 5, I know that’s not scientific). They worked well for a little while but little by little they all stopped working. Rounds stuck halfway up the mag, failures to feed, all kinds of stuff. I’ve gone back to glock factory mags for everything. Normal PMAGs are great and I run them in everything, but Glock mags? No thanks.

El Pistolero
12-31-17, 12:43
You may be right. But I have seen the exact same problem you are having simply caused by new (not factory Glock) magazine springs. The higher spring pressure against the top round in the magazine creates more of an problem when the fired/extracting case rim is coming back and hits the forward edge of the case of the top round in the mag. Let me know if I am not explaining this clearly.

Once the magazine springs were used a bit (and the springs weakened), the problem went away completely. This was in a gun that had previously fired many thousands of rounds (of the ammo that was problematic) without any problems. After the springs were worn, the gun did not have any problems with the same ammo (or any ammo).

You can get a better idea of whether or not this is the problem by hand cycling rounds though your gun with various magazines.

I hope this helps.

Joe Mamma

Yep, the part I quoted in bold is exactly what was happening with my Glock, mostly when using aluminum ammo. Most people are commenting about steel/Wolf/Tulammo when in fact aluminum case Federal ammo is what I’m shooting most that I seem to be having issues with.