PDA

View Full Version : Lorraine, NY woman trapped in home by 6 ft. of snow!

NYH1
12-28-17, 16:05
Lorraine, NY woman trapped in home by 6 ft. of snow! (https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2017/12/28/Firefighters-rescue-woman-trapped-in-home-by-6-feet-of-snow/7531514484321)

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/content/wabc/images/cms/2831051_1280x720.jpg

NYH1.

Krazykarl
12-28-17, 16:26
Was that lake effect snow?

NYH1
12-28-17, 16:42
Was that lake effect snow?
Yep, east end of Lake Ontario in the Tug Hill area. Lorraine was the hardest hit.

NYH1.

Dist. Expert 26
12-28-17, 16:51
And this is why I live in the South now. We get snow a few times a year, just enough to be enjoyable. I grew up dealing with that BS (albeit not to this extreme) and don't miss it one bit.

Side note- she should probably invest in a snowblower.

NYH1
12-28-17, 17:01
It didn't say it in the article I posted, but the lady is in her mid/late 70's, past snowblower age for that part of the state. She should hire someone to plow her driveway so she wouldn't have to worry about it.

NYH1.

soulezoo
12-28-17, 17:01
I didn't see that as extreme. In and around Truckee/Lake Tahoe, many homes are built so main entrance is on 2nd story just for events like that. Last year, many places had 10-14' built up.

NYH1
12-28-17, 17:12
I didn't see that as extreme. In and around Truckee/Lake Tahoe, many homes are built so main entrance is on 2nd story just for events like that. Last year, many places had 10-14' built up.
That's a lot no doubt. Around here our main entrances are 1st level, especially in the smaller communities where she's located. So 5/6 ft. is a lot of snow. However, that area gets that much regularly. She just couldn't remove it and keep up with it so it added up so quickly causing her to need help.

NYH1.

Krazykarl
12-28-17, 17:35
Makes our lake effect look insignificant.

soulezoo
12-28-17, 17:51
That's a lot no doubt. Around here our main entrances are 1st level, especially in the smaller communities where she's located. So 5/6 ft. is a lot of snow. However, that area gets that much regularly. She just couldn't remove it and keep up with it so it added up so quickly causing her to need help.

NYH1.

Oh I get it. My Fathers side of the family lives in Binghamton.

Firefly
12-28-17, 18:04
Pepperidge Farms remembers the Great ATL Snowpocalypse.

One inch of snow shut down a State. The Army was called in. People abandoned their cars on the interstate. People opened their homes to strangers. Churches filled. Last Rites were given. There were epic plans to shelter in place. Guys were told to pack freshwater and five MREs. Boys became Men as Fathers answered the call to huddle in offices or stay in vehicles with the heater on. Black and White came together as true equals during those dreary, grim hours that Georgia had an inch of snow. Brotherhoods formed. Prayers were sent with fervor. Love was made. Radio stations played REM's End of the World, that horrid Titanic song, and Ultravox's Dancing With Tears In My Eyes. It was quite a time....

And some lady in Yankeeville, NY gets trapped under six FEET and it's treated like a routine Fire call.

I love it!!!

Averageman
12-28-17, 18:06
We lived near Dunes State Park in Indiana in 1967.
That lake effect snow is no joke.

NYH1
12-28-17, 18:07
Makes our lake effect look insignificant.
They don't always get snow like that. Sometimes they get a few inches, sometimes they get a few feet, sometimes they get pounded like that. Ya never know what the 'ole snow maker has in store.

NYH1.

NYH1
12-28-17, 18:13

One inch of snow shut down a State. The Army was called in. People abandoned their cars on the interstate. People opened their homes to strangers. Churches filled. Last Rites were given. There were epic plans to shelter in place. Guys were told to pack freshwater and five MREs. Boys became Men as Fathers answered the call to huddle in offices or stay in vehicles with the heater on. Black and White came together as true equals during those dreary, grim hours that Georgia had an inch of snow. Brotherhoods formed. Prayers were sent with fervor. Love was made. Radio stations played REM's End of the World, that horrid Titanic song, and Ultravox's Dancing With Tears In My Eyes. It was quite a time....

And some lady in Yankeeville, NY gets trapped under six FEET and it's treated like a routine Fire call.

I love it!!!
YEAH BABY!! :agree:

NYH1!

Krazykarl
12-28-17, 18:37
One c shift day many years ago, we went to bed with 6" and woke up to 42". It was a long day on medic 3. Every patient was backboarded and 6 man haul. We got stuck twice. Ended the 24 hour shift on a full arrest. That lake effect snow is sure interesting to deal with.

NYH1
12-28-17, 19:17
It's really fun when you're close enough to the Atlantic (like us) to get a really good nor'easter and lake effect within a day or two. We got a nor'easter last march. Within hours of that ending we got lake effect for two days. I plowed for 3 days straight.

NYH1.

AKDoug
12-29-17, 01:04
I wonder where the other 3 feet came from because there is only 3' on the roof and on the car next to the closest FF...

Diamondback
12-29-17, 01:23
Here's one from around here that illustrates how different cultures react to the same amount of fall...
Seattle: "SnOMG! Snowmageddon! Snowpocalypse!"
Spokane: "Yawn. Stretch. Just another winter weekday..."

I mean, I don't deal with cold well, but the way these moss-between-the-ears types in the Giant Terlet Bowl of Puget Sound piss their frilly pink panties at the mere THOUGHT of that nasty white powder...

Arik
12-29-17, 07:18
I wonder where the other 3 feet came from because there is only 3' on the roof and on the car next to the closest FF...Possibly wind. Two years ago we got hit with 30 inches in 24hrs. Not what this lady had but it was a lot. Next day while shoveling I noticed some houses didn't even have snow on the roofs!?! [emoji848]

That's waist high!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171229/37f5be7fff2e436c4517f2cd258c01c5.jpg

If you look at the houses on the right they all have mostly clean roofs. The ones on the left are covered in snow. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171229/eae136e2cadee1d623ec006fa9d86c9a.jpg

Arik
12-29-17, 07:20

I love it!!!.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171229/3e2e724715c1ae6de3c61405d41444a9.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mark5pt56
12-29-17, 10:26
Yeah, I remember those days in upstate NY growing up. Studded tires, bucket loaders and shovels. We always looked after neighbors who where unable to do it for themselves. Some had beater cars and trucks for the winter so it's wasn't the end when you ditched it or hit a snow bank-that was frozen.

chuckman
12-29-17, 11:35
.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171229/3e2e724715c1ae6de3c61405d41444a9.jpg

That bottom pic was actually taken about 20 minutes from where I live. That day we were expecting flurries. We got 3-4 inches in an hour. Then the snow...stopped. Just stopped. My wife and I were eating at a Cheesecake Factory at a mall when the snow started, that drive should have taken us 20 minutes to get home; it took us almost 4 hours.

My wife is from a little town on the outskirts of Buffalo. They would get redonkulous lake effect snow. That's why she, her three sisters, and her mom all live in NC now.

chuckman
12-29-17, 11:38
And this is why I live in the South now. We get snow a few times a year, just enough to be enjoyable.

Yup...8" of snow on one day, 65 degrees in 5 days, no snow on the ground in 2 weeks.

Dist. Expert 26
12-29-17, 11:46
Yup...8" of snow on one day, 65 degrees in 5 days, no snow on the ground in 2 weeks.

Unless you live at 4k feet on a mountain...we usually get 2-3x more snow than they do down in town and it sticks around for a while.

Still, I can ride my motorcycle pretty much all winter if I so please. Up north it would be in the garage 5 months a year.

chuckman
12-29-17, 11:54
Unless you live at 4k feet on a mountain...we usually get 2-3x more snow than they do down in town and it sticks around for a while.

Still, I can ride my motorcycle pretty much all winter if I so please. Up north it would be in the garage 5 months a year.

Yeah, y'all get more and get it longer. Where I live, in an 8-mile direction we could get rain or 4" of snow. The biggest snow I recall was 24" in January, 2000. We were supposed to get 4"-5".

NYH1
12-29-17, 13:58
I wonder where the other 3 feet came from because there is only 3' on the roof and on the car next to the closest FF...
The snow on the roof could have been blown away some by the wind, melted a little from the heat from the house. There's a little more then 3 ft. of snow on her car too.

Lake effect snow is made by cold winds being blown across warmer lake waters (Lake Ontario never freezes). Wind in and by itself will blow snow around, especially if it's off the ground.

Most areas on the Tug Hill got 5 ft. plus since Christmas. Lorraine got the most with over 6 ft. Snow also settles on itself after time as well.

NYH1.

Bubba FAL
12-29-17, 15:16

I love it!!!

Yep, I was working in Doraville and staying in Chamblee during the Snowpackalypse Christmas week 1987. This native Michigander couldn't understand why all the fuss about an inch or two of snow. But it was the one and only time I've ever been able to do donuts in the middle of 285! :-)

Bulletdog
12-29-17, 21:49
And some of you wonder how anyone can live in California…

It was 82 degrees and sunny on Christmas day here. We broke all the records on Thanksgiving Day and got up to 96 degrees. I can deal with snow when I have to. Glad I don't have to.

Arik
12-29-17, 21:58
Yea....I'll take 6ft of snow! There's something about having all 4 seasons! Until I'm too old to shovel I don't think I'd want to leave the NE

NYH1
12-29-17, 22:06
And some of you wonder how anyone can live in California…

It was 82 degrees and sunny on Christmas day here. We broke all the records on Thanksgiving Day and got up to 96 degrees. I can deal with snow when I have to. Glad I don't have to.
The flip side to that is, most people don't realize how much snow some areas of Cali really do get.

I'll take my 80/low 90's, max 70%, usually 60% or lower humidity in the summer, four months of snow (heavy at times) a few weeks of near/below zero temps over 90/100 and 80/90% humidity any day. I can't take the humidity.

NYH1.

NYH1
12-29-17, 22:09
Yea....I'll take 6ft of snow! There's something about having all 4 seasons! Until I'm too old to shovel I don't think I'd want to leave the NE

We might head for Flagstaff, AZ one of these years....not to return. They get four seasons out there.

NYH1.

chuckman
12-30-17, 13:03
The flip side to that is, most people don't realize how much snow some areas of Cali really do get.

I'll take my 80/low 90's, max 70%, usually 60% or lower humidity in the summer, four months of snow (heavy at times) a few weeks of near/below zero temps over 90/100 and 80/90% humidity any day. I can't take the humidity.

NYH1.

I was at the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport one winter we got 30 in of snow in a day. That was at about 11000 ft I think. Temperature dropped like 40 degrees in 12 hours. Miserable.

JoshNC
12-30-17, 15:43
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171229/3e2e724715c1ae6de3c61405d41444a9.jpg

That bottom pic was actually taken about 20 minutes from where I live. That day we were expecting flurries. We got 3-4 inches in an hour. Then the snow...stopped. Just stopped. My wife and I were eating at a Cheesecake Factory at a mall when the snow started, that drive should have taken us 20 minutes to get home; it took us almost 4 hours.

My wife is from a little town on the outskirts of Buffalo. They would get redonkulous lake effect snow. That's why she, her three sisters, and her mom all live in NC now.

I lived 3 minutes from there just down Wade Ave. Got stuck FIVE times getting home from Cary. Like you it took me almost four hours to drive what usually takes 20 minutes.