PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle device and muzzle velocity

tanktop
12-28-17, 20:57
Just as the title suggests, has anyone done a test to see the effects of different muzzle devices on muzzle Velocity? Four instance is there a muzzle break that you could attach to a 16 inch barrel that would more closely give the muzzle velocity of an 18 inch barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt in TN
12-28-17, 21:16
No. To both.

tanktop
12-28-17, 21:20
OK, then are there muzzle breaks or flash hiders that reduce muzzle velocity?

SkipD
12-28-17, 21:44
OK, then are there muzzle breaks or flash hiders that reduce muzzle velocity?There's no such thing as a "muzzle break". The proper word is "brake".

lysander
12-29-17, 03:44
OK, then are there muzzle breaks or flash hiders that reduce muzzle velocity?

Only if the bullet hits it.

Ask yourself - "what would cause a brake to reduce the velocity of the bullet? Or, increase it?"

12-29-17, 04:45
The answer to your questions is “no”. Unless you wanna talk suppressors. I have tested the KAC NT4 with 10.3” bbl guns and found it provides a ~45 fps boost.

tanktop
12-29-17, 05:33
There's no such thing as a "muzzle break". The proper word is "brake".

Sorry, speech to text, blame Siri.

tanktop
12-29-17, 05:43
Only if the bullet hits it.

Ask yourself - "what would cause a brake to reduce the velocity of the bullet? Or, increase it?"

I was simply wondering if a brake or flash hider could increase or decrease air pressure at the end of the barrel. The purpose of any muzzle device is to interfere with the escaping gasses, this would logically also have some effect on the bullets velocity, although possibly immeasurable.

gaijin
12-29-17, 05:57
A brake is on the end of barrel.
It uses gases which have already exited barrel, therefore can have no affect on velocity of bullet which has already exited barrel.

vicious_cb
12-29-17, 14:09
The best muzzle device that increases velocity is called a suppressor.

WillBrink
12-29-17, 16:06
The answer to your questions is “no”. Unless you wanna talk suppressors. I have tested the KAC NT4 with 10.3” bbl guns and found it provides a ~45 fps boost.

It's way cool modern suppressors don't appear to negatively impact velocity, and in some cases such as yours, actually add some. Win win.

Renegade
12-29-17, 16:51
Just as the title suggests, has anyone done a test to see the effects of different muzzle devices on muzzle Velocity? Four instance is there a muzzle break that you could attach to a 16 inch barrel that would more closely give the muzzle velocity of an 18 inch barrel?

Yes you could, but it would be more than 2 inches long.