PDA

View Full Version : AR spring replacement intervals?

ShortyB
06-15-06, 20:07
When do you replace the operating springs in an AR?
Buffer tube, fire control, extractor and ejector springs.
Is there a written rule for rounds fired and replacement.
Thanks

C4IGrant
06-16-06, 06:51
When do you replace the operating springs in an AR?
Buffer tube, fire control, extractor and ejector springs.
Is there a written rule for rounds fired and replacement.
Thanks

Ah, one of my favorite subjects. Most of the springs in your AR are SS. Everytime they are used they take a set (become weaker). I generally change out my buffer springs every 2,000-3,000 rounds. I change out my extractor spring every 4,000-5,000 rounds. Most times the spring is still working, but am simply doing preventative maintenance.

The next question is, are all spring created equal? The answer is a 100% NO! All springs wear out, but some materials do it slower than others. Chrome Silicon (CS) springs have a much higher life span than SS springs. They take a set the very first time they are used and never again. For this reason, I recomend them to be used in mags, extractors and buffer tubes.

There are also different levels of CS springs. A company called ISMI makes the very best CS springs on the planet IMHO. Their springs are shot peened, stress relieved and have a 1 year warranty! I have changed out all my buffer springs with theirs and noticed a diference in felt recoil over my old spring. The down side to these springs is that they are expensize. ISMI buffer springs run at about $18 a pop. SS buffer springs are only $5.

A simple and good test to see if your buffer spring still has enough power in it, it to take load up a 30rd mag. Lock the bolt back and insert the mag. Hit the bolt catch and see if it was able to strip a round off the mag and FULLY insert it into the chamber. If it cannot, it is a good time to change out springs!

C4

Here is a pic I took of a used buffer spring and two new ones. You can see how use really shortens the SS spring.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/ISMI/Diff%20in%20springs.JPG

Voodoochild
06-16-06, 09:20
Too bad they dont make Mag springs. i need about 4 to replace teh springs that went tits up in my Sig 229 mags. I got 4 from CDNN and about amonth or so later all 4 springs quit. I had thought about buying one of the ISMI springs to replace the buffer spring I have now. I have about 3000 rounds through my RRA.

Grant would the ISMI spring work well with an Enidine Hydraulic Buffer?

C4IGrant
06-16-06, 09:34
Too bad they dont make Mag springs. i need about 4 to replace teh springs that went tits up in my Sig 229 mags. I got 4 from CDNN and about amonth or so later all 4 springs quit. I had thought about buying one of the ISMI springs to replace the buffer spring I have now. I have about 3000 rounds through my RRA.

Grant would the ISMI spring work well with an Enidine Hydraulic Buffer?

They DO make springs for high capacity SIG mags! They are $10 apiece.

I run the ISMI with the Enidine and works just fine.

C4

Voodoochild
06-16-06, 09:38
So do you carry the springs for Sig mags? Or where do I pick those up.

C4IGrant
06-16-06, 09:40
So do you carry the springs for Sig mags? Or where do I pick those up.

I can order them for you if you like. Give me a call later on today to place your order.

C4

TigerStripe
06-16-06, 12:34
Great information, some of which I knew but alot of it I didn't.

Thanks,

TS

C4IGrant
06-16-06, 13:21

Thanks,

TS

Thanks!

C4

M4arc
06-17-06, 09:23

Thanks,

TS

I believe that's the reason why this forum was started ;)

The goal was to create a forum that was both educational, informative and fun!

gcpd19
06-19-06, 19:01
Along the issue of mag springs, don't they also make springs for Glock? How do C Products springs compare for AR's/M16's?

C4IGrant
06-19-06, 19:37
Along the issue of mag springs, don't they also make springs for Glock? How do C Products springs compare for AR's/M16's?

ISMI makes springs for just about every magazine out there. CProducts uses CS springs (not made by ISMI) in their SS mags and is an option I think on their Alum. mags.

C4

BravoCompanyUSA
06-19-06, 21:01
I think the most important springs to keep your eye on is the extractor and action springs (in that order). A little PM with those can help with some headaches down the road. As said above there are upgrading options if you choose.

As far as ejector, hammer, trigger, J, sear, disco, various detent, etc, I am sure that they can fail over time, but if they were good quality to begin with - it is rare to see it happen.

ShortyB
06-19-06, 21:22
Paul,
Thats where the question was targeted. Fire control, extractor and ejector springs. But how many rounds. Is there a hard fast rule to follow?

Thanks

BravoCompanyUSA
06-19-06, 21:39
Paul,
Thats where the question was targeted. Fire control, extractor and ejector springs. But how many rounds. Is there a hard fast rule to follow?

Thanks

If there is a hard and fast rule, I am not specifically familiar with it. But there probably are some good guidlines that have been offered.

I have some old Colts (cica 1989) that have 20K round in them, and I have never needed to replace any springs except the extractor. I do think they would benefit from a new action spring.

I guess, to quantifiy some sort of advice, I would say if using a "milspec" quality extractor and action spring - replace after 5K rounds would work well as a preventitive maintainance.
If your using the rifle in the line of duty, cut those numbers in half.
ymmv

Heavy Metal
07-04-06, 21:17
Grant,

Are you still changing the ISMI springs at 3-5K intervals or are you simply checking them to ensure the length is acceptible?

TigerStripe
07-04-06, 23:03
I'm probably going to need two extractor and buffer (action) springs soon.

TS

TigerStripe
07-04-06, 23:05
I believe that's the reason why this forum was started ;)

The goal was to create a forum that was both educational, informative and fun!

True. It's just that 99% of the information given on such websites is about barrels, uppers, lowers and mags. Springs and other PM info is passed over or just not discussed most of the time.

TS