PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use "speciality" 12 guage ammo?

trio
10-14-08, 00:30
Similar to the type found here?

http://www.firequest.com/catalog/showcase_item_4.html

I'm not interested really in the "fun" application, more the practical application....

the flashbang ammo, for example, intrigues me....the way my house is set up I am likely to have a level and a barrier between me and any bad guys....in an invasion scenario I am going to have to go down my hallway to retrieve children...I am curious about lighting one of those rounds down the stairs where bad guys would likely be to cover my movement...

the smoke rounds, etc, also intrigue me, for similar reasons...

thoughts?

HighSpeedDreams
10-14-08, 00:42
+1 on the "flash/bang" round. Seems a little "25 cent x-ray glasses" but I would love to see how it would deploy in the scenario posed.

I'd also be interested to see the output on those flare rounds.

GastonG-NoVa
10-20-08, 08:16
OC and bean bag rounds, I get to use them all the time, and they are free.

Moving live target systems as well.

And I get paid for it!!!

I'll send you an application.

;)

Failure2Stop
11-16-08, 17:55
I recommend against relying on novelties in a life or death situation.

toddackerman
11-21-08, 19:32
Shot Crackers are great on July 4th. An M80 inside a 12 gauge case. Very quiet leaving the gun and then....BANG!!! Very good for deceiving the BG's as to where your are.

Alaskapopo
11-23-08, 14:06
I use the popper rounds that explode after you shoot them to scare bears off.
Pat

Iraqgunz
11-23-08, 16:17
I used some Dragons Breath rounds once for shits and giggles. Other than that I have used some 12ga. breaching rounds. Pretty nice.

sixboysdad
11-24-08, 05:17
Call me old-fashioned, but if there is a bad guy (goblin, zombie, thug, 2-legged wolf, whatever) in my house, threatening my family, I would prefer to have a round chambered that will tear large, ragged chunks of flesh and bone from his body.

I see no point in using something for home defense that is not lethal, or that is designed to confuse or disorient. I would think that having one's cranium removed at several hundred feet per second would be disorienting enough.

That's my opinion, and worth every cent you paid for it.

Alaskapopo
11-24-08, 05:30
Call me old-fashioned, but if there is a bad guy (goblin, zombie, thug, 2-legged wolf, whatever) in my house, threatening my family, I would prefer to have a round chambered that will tear large, ragged chunks of flesh and bone from his body.

I see no point in using something for home defense that is not lethal, or that is designed to confuse or disorient. I would think that having one's cranium removed at several hundred feet per second would be disorienting enough.

That's my opinion, and worth every cent you paid for it.
I like having the popper rounds around at home to for bear and moose than wander in the yard. But I agree on a human attacker its best to use the real thing.
Pat

AllAmerican
11-24-08, 17:03
We use to give boxes of Cracker Shells away to farmers to get deer/elk out of their alfalfa fields. They work really well, for damage control, but I will warn you now, if these are the same shells, they will eat your barrel out like nothing you have ever seen!!! I used to loan out single shot guns ( I have had some shells go off in the barrel of a pump) and those barrels were crap after 100 rounds. You would really have to clean them good if you use them.

Alaskapopo
11-24-08, 17:32
I have shot off at least 50 this summer and to be honest I did not clean my barrel much at all. I did have one go off inside the barrel. No problems that I could see.
Pat

Deputy91
11-27-08, 19:54
I haven't used any of the exotic rounds (dragons breath etc....) but I often train with tactical buck and slugs. My 130 pound girlfriend handles the 12Ga tactical loads with ease. kind of interesting watching when I mix in a magnum load! (c:

-Mike.

brown3345
12-03-08, 04:09
I would not want to load any type of "special round" into a home self defence weapon because you never know what the emergency will be. Do I have to shuck out a shell because I have a flash bang in the chamber because the intruder isn't following the preplanned senerio?

To many things to remember when you wake up from a sound sleep and have to go into combat mode. A gun like that is made to kill bad guys, not play McGuiver.

mongoose
02-27-09, 22:57
you might want to consider what the lawyers will conclude about exotic ammo as home defence...3rd degree burns from Dragons breath, flechets all over, and four different kinds of shot might be a tough case for the defence even if the zombie crakheads attack

Paul45
03-01-09, 13:44
The only exotic I use is the low recoil 00 buck - much quicker for follow-up shots than reg 00.

4thPointOfContact
03-01-09, 19:26
A link to a forum where flechette ammunition was tested.
Read from the beginning ( http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14918&hilit=flechette) or skip to the ignominious end (http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14918&hilit=flechette&start=60).

Bottom lined.....The military has LOTS of money to spend on ammunition, if flechettes were effective they'd be used. The fact that they aren't should speak volumes.

Buckshot TX
03-02-09, 22:25
A link to a forum where flechette ammunition was tested.
Read from the beginning ( http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14918&hilit=flechette) or skip to the ignominious end (http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14918&hilit=flechette&start=60).

Bottom lined.....The military has LOTS of money to spend on ammunition, if flechettes were effective they'd be used. The fact that they aren't should speak volumes.

Well, they DO suck from a shotgun, but flechette rounds from a 90mm or 106mm Recoiless Rifle were a WHOLE 'NUTHER SUBJECT!:D

warpigM-4
03-02-09, 22:59
I had a friend shoot a Dragons breath out of his shotgun at a pile of trash with gas on it ,it had the "Man that's cool "factor But his barrel was nasty as hell after and seem to go down hill after his playing with a few of the speciality rounds I would stay away from them IMHO

DANGER CLOSE
03-03-09, 13:26
at work we have some high velocity fin stabilized rockets from als. they were apparently designed as a lethal / less-lethal round for prisoner control from (USN seals?).

it has a hard white plastic cap with a small hole in the middle and flat edges, this is placed over the black rubber rocket. this is about as best i can
describe it.

apparently if required for lethal use you can fire at the head and for less-lethal use at any fleshy part. we fire them at some blue plastic drums and they bounce off, but when we fired them at a hard plastic commercial trash can, they either go through it, crack it, or leave a nasty dent. all of this depending on range and angle.

Parabellum9x19mm
03-05-09, 20:39
to quote a friend of mine:

"exotic shotgun shells are like exotic massages; at the end of the day you're paying top dollar just to get jerked off."

Turnkey11
03-06-09, 13:02
Well, they DO suck from a shotgun, but flechette rounds from a 90mm or 106mm Recoiless Rifle were a WHOLE 'NUTHER SUBJECT!:D

Good from Hydra 70's too.

DMR
03-07-09, 09:24

"exotic shotgun shells are like exotic massages; at the end of the day you're paying top dollar just to get jerked off."

Might have to be my new sig:D

Some of the specialty rounds have great use with in limited operational requirements. However, that implies that the shotgunner is part of a larger team that can cover his can while doing so.

Less Lethal are best used when the shotgunner is covered by someone with lethal munitions like 5.56mm in support. If you don't get the desired effect your partner takes over. Mix 12 ga. less lethal and lethal in the same operator and you are always just one high stress moment away from a bad day. For civilian use you are better off not using them as the liablity concerns are as bad or worse then they are for the police AND you most likely are not going to have a partner to CYA.

Some of the various banger type rounds have potential in various operational situations. I have seen them used to supplement flash bangs in various fashions and am currently looking at the potential for use of the muzzle blast designs with convoys to warn civilian drivers away. The .mil also has a program for this called the Joint Less Lethal Warning Munition, as I recall they are to burst at around 100m.

The various breaching rounds are great tools for LE and Mil, but are still often misunderstood as to employment. Again, while they might be cool for civilian use, actualy using them opening doors is going to be hard to explain.

The exotic lethal loads are pretty much good ways to part you from your money, your better off with 00 or slugs depending on your needs. For what a shotgun is best at you are better off with 00.

The "Ferret" type chemical rounds are also best desribed as a supplement to gas grenades. If able I would type to have 37mm or 40mm gas avalible for the agcency to fill that role, but the 12 ga does have it's place.

The 12ga. Tasers look interesting for LE, but at $100 a shot........................

warpigM-4
03-07-09, 12:33

Buy that man a beer :D thats the best I have heard in a while