PDA

View Full Version : SEAL Team tv show

voiceofreason
01-04-18, 07:02
It's got some runnin' & gunnin', tier 1 gear, believable TTPs.

Nevertheless, since the beginning of the show, I've felt that something was slightly "off" about it.

Watching the latest episode, it seems to be portraying the cool/good guys/Americans as normal protagonists, but whenever engaging the enemy, the directing and writing seems to portray US Forces as "the enemy" whenever they engage with civilians that are out of country.

Like an insidious means of showing that we are the oppressive and jack booted invaders of a peaceful land.

Anyone else see/feel/notice this? or just me?

Firefly
01-04-18, 07:07
lol I dont watch gay stuff like that.

I watch Strike Back. They murder everybody from LA to Tokyo, have unprotected sex with beautiful women, and swear like sailors.

NONE of the American Self Hatred.

New series starts next month

Arik
01-04-18, 07:09
Only saw one or two episodes. Didn't care for it. No specific reason just wasn't interesting. Also I think they're trying to hard to make it a drama or to add drama into it. Like that one trainee who committed suicide by not opening his parachute

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Arik
01-04-18, 07:11

I watch Strike Back. They murder everybody from LA to Tokyo, have unprotected sex with beautiful women, and swear like sailors.

New series starts next monthReminds me I gotta rewatch the first season. I fell off around season 3

voiceofreason
01-04-18, 07:14

Firefly
01-04-18, 07:25
Reminds me I gotta rewatch the first season. I fell off around season 3

The real first season has Ruchard Armitage and was called Strike Back Origins.

Arik
01-04-18, 07:29
The real first season has Ruchard Armitage and was called Strike Back Origins.I've seen that or at least some of it. Had Rick in it!

ggammell
01-04-18, 07:31

I read the content before I saw who wrote it. I said to myself “that’s something FIREFLY would say.”

Sure enough.

Alex V
01-04-18, 08:30
Is this the one with David Boreanaz?

SIX was pretty good.

uffdaphil
01-04-18, 08:41
Sonny and the dog are great. The rest just okay. At least I have not seen them using a crescent wrench on the scope mount of an M110 like Bob Lee Swagger on the tv “Shooter.”

jethroUSMC
01-04-18, 08:45

Agreed. But torn that Sully and Phil Winchester aren't part of the cast any longer

VARIABLE9
01-04-18, 09:16
Is this the one with David Boreanaz?

SIX was pretty good.

This says it all.

Five_Point_Five_Six
01-04-18, 09:19
There's one called The Brave that is terrible. I watched an episode of it on a flight last month. It makes The Unit look like Strike Back.

Firefly
01-04-18, 09:42
Let's just say a little bird told me the new Strike Back is different but not bad.

My beef with David Boringass is that he reminds me of Ben Affleck from Mallrats.

The Unit was such a tease. You had a solid cast, HK416s when they were new hotness, and some decent ideas but for 10 minutes of anything cool you had to sit through 40 minutes of the wives burning up credit cards, screwing Jody, and being spoiled, whiny bitches.

And while I am sure that happens, I'd rather see Achmed get popped and have the wacky black guy go "Dayuuuum" and the older 1sgt Black Guy go "Guess he wasnt in good hands with All State" and the redneck guy go "yeah!" and the mysterious long haired guy just quietly gaze upon the slaughter with marked indifference.

I also hated the bald guy so screw him

uffdaphil
01-04-18, 11:51
“The Unit was such a tease. You had a solid cast, HK416s when they were new hotness, and some decent ideas but for 10 minutes of anything cool you had to sit through 40 minutes of the wives burning up credit cards, screwing Jody, and being spoiled, whiny bitches.”

Oh, yeah. Someone is trying to kill the wife and you are rooting for him. Just like Miss Me Me Pouty on The Blacklist.

AKDoug
01-04-18, 11:57
Sonny and the dog are great. The rest just okay. At least I have not seen them using a crescent wrench on the scope mount of an M110 like Bob Lee Swagger on the tv “Shooter.” Yeah, my 18 year old daughter caught that in shooter.. then said "I hope he sights in that scope after that laser bullshit"... love that kid.

Honu
01-04-18, 16:43
watched the new strike back and its not the same magic that was

its still guns and action but its not strike back IMHO

one thing was the play between the two main characters was so good in the original ones and the new cast IMHO is a bit like watching someone try but failing

is it worth watching YUP but IMHO its not the same level but better than other options we have on TV for good fun way better than SEAL show

Firefly
01-04-18, 16:49
watched the new strike back and its not the same magic that was

its still guns and action but its not strike back IMHO

one thing was the play between the two main characters was so good in the original ones and the new cast IMHO is a bit like watching someone try but failing

Is it Scott and Stonebridge? No. Nothing will be Scott and Stonebridge.

Was the budget cut? Yep.

But it beats anything else out there and Novin is just so hot.

Like maybe I'm shallow but punk chicks are just my weakness.

I liked it...

Honu
01-04-18, 16:49
new show on or coming called SWAT ?
saw the previews and was like OH NO it looked so so so so so so bad I have no desire to even watch one episode to see it was so bad in the previews

Honu
01-04-18, 16:53
Is it Scott and Stonebridge? No. Nothing will be Scott and Stonebridge.

Was the budget cut? Yep.

But it beats anything else out there and Novin is just so hot.

Like maybe I'm shallow but punk chicks are just my weakness.

I liked it...

yeah the action those two had between each other will never be matched :)
sure you know ironic they switched their real accents around :)

but the good thing about the new one is the girls they are so much better than the guys in the new one that they are the lead IMHO

I reckon to me its a bit like Band of Brothers compared to others even say The pacific which was good but for most no wher near Band of Brothers
and both were better than most anything we have on WWII for epic shows of WWII
and keeping movies out of it of course :)

Honu
01-04-18, 17:05
speaking of characters
I have not seen the movie Renegade yet ?

but kinda looks like the womanizer Harevey Weinstein (spelling) said Sgt Damien Scott did so well lets put that character idea into a movie to see if we can get Strike Back followers to watch it ?
Oh and lets get Luc B to make it folks like him to

could be wrong but previews look like that is what the movie is but still plan on seeing it

caporider
01-04-18, 19:04
saw the previews and was like OH NO it looked so so so so so so bad I have no desire to even watch one episode to see it was so bad in the previews

Yeah it’s bad.

First episode started with a raging full auto gunfight between SWAT and gangbangers with shots being fired at people running at night across multiple buildings like everyone was in Aleppo. No perimeter I could see, no uniforms stopping traffic, nothing but bullets.

So, so dumb. Turned it off after five minutes.

Firefly
01-04-18, 19:19
Yeah it’s bad.

First episode started with a raging full auto gunfight between SWAT and gangbangers with shots being fired at people running at night across multiple buildings like everyone was in Aleppo. No perimeter I could see, no uniforms stopping traffic, nothing but bullets.

Track down Flashpoint. It is set in Canada but their SWAT team makes sense. It gets a little odd in later seasons but the first two seasons are epic.

Not everything is settled with a gunfight. They can actually talk people down. Officers get suspended for deadly forces. And my favorite is they actually show you why these people have snapped.

Lost a job, sick kid, in trouble with organized crime, or whatever. It humanizes them.

Not every suspect is really a bad person, like in real life. A lot of people are just caught up in stuff.

Arik
01-04-18, 19:19
saw the previews and was like OH NO it looked so so so so so so bad I have no desire to even watch one episode to see it was so bad in the previewsSaw two episodes. ...Just...NO! I don't know about perimeters and whatnot but it looked like they want to make it too wholesome...but in a shitty way.

Spiffums
01-04-18, 20:47
Let's just say a little bird told me the new Strike Back is different but not bad.

My beef with David Boringass is that he reminds me of Ben Affleck from Mallrats.

The Unit was such a tease. You had a solid cast, HK416s when they were new hotness, and some decent ideas but for 10 minutes of anything cool you had to sit through 40 minutes of the wives burning up credit cards, screwing Jody, and being spoiled, whiny bitches.

And while I am sure that happens, I'd rather see Achmed get popped and have the wacky black guy go "Dayuuuum" and the older 1sgt Black Guy go "Guess he wasnt in good hands with All State" and the redneck guy go "yeah!" and the mysterious long haired guy just quietly gaze upon the slaughter with marked indifference.

I also hated the bald guy so screw him

I'm not sure you were watching The Unit!

Spiffums
01-04-18, 20:50
Yeah it’s bad.

You totally missed the "Black cop says da Hood from the Police!".

Renegade
01-04-18, 20:55
SIX was pretty good.

Yeah if you hate the military and like to see SEALS depicted as cold blooded murders...

Renegade
01-04-18, 20:58
Sonny and the dog are great. The rest just okay. At least I have not seen them using a crescent wrench on the scope mount of an M110 like Bob Lee Swagger on the tv “Shooter.”

Just binged that today and waffed at that scene. Only thing funnier was the Black King only comes with 6 rounds.

Firefly
01-04-18, 21:01
I'm not sure you were watching The Unit!

I tried to. That one op in like South America where everybody had SR25s was cool.

Still despise the bald guy who had the hick wife.

And the dude who had the whore wife. And then there was the black wife who just screwed everything up.

I liked the long haired guy. He looked like Dimebag Darrell when he was skinny. He was just always intense, never said much, always ready to rock. No women problems no none of that. He spent his free time making furniture for dollhouses, memorizing T.S. Eliot, playing retro vidya, and just always ready to rock.

His name was Betty Blue.

I cant remember baldo's name. Something about being gay but not wanting to admit it.

Anyways Betty Blue and Snake Doctor were cool and everybody else sucked

SteyrAUG
01-04-18, 21:38

God that show sucked.

SteyrAUG
01-04-18, 21:41
Track down Flashpoint. It is set in Canada but their SWAT team makes sense. It gets a little odd in later seasons but the first two seasons are epic.

Not everything is settled with a gunfight. They can actually talk people down. Officers get suspended for deadly forces. And my favorite is they actually show you why these people have snapped.

Lost a job, sick kid, in trouble with organized crime, or whatever. It humanizes them.

Not every suspect is really a bad person, like in real life. A lot of people are just caught up in stuff.

I don't think I made it through two episodes. Struck me as a "police are bad" kind of vibe and it got old fast.

Firefly
01-04-18, 22:00
I don't think I made it through two episodes. Struck me as a "police are bad" kind of vibe and it got old fast.

I strongly urge you to revisit it, especially from the first episode.

I despise cop shows but the first two and a half seasons were some of the most intelligent, well written, non-patronizing and pro-police material out there.

The SWAT team wasnt a bunch of super humans who got new abiliities every five minutes like the Israeli chick from NCIS.

Everybody has a function, everybody performed it.

Like...it showed guys had feelings, the guns looked worn and were super boring (more gets accomplished with a bolt action or a Glock 19, if any shooting is done at all).

There were a few armorer errors but it was like a good show. Maybe not super pro gun (Canada), but certainly pro-police.

The one where the main SWAT jock pops a dude's melon and gets stripped of all his gear, advised to call PBA, and even has to turn in his boots was pretty spot on.

Honu
01-04-18, 23:55
or put FUNKER530 on YT on autoplay :)

pinzgauer
01-05-18, 08:14
There's one called The Brave that is terrible. I watched an episode of it on a flight last month. It makes The Unit look like Strike Back.Funny, I like the brave better than any of the alternatives on currently.

It makes no pretense as being a real unit. That was intentional. So you don't get the "they don't really do that" stuff that you do with 6, Seal Team, Etc. I don't mind having some of the back office intel backstory.

SEAL team is totally following "the unit" approach. Family backstories, Etc. Maybe not as much as the unit did, but still quite a bit. Daughter and wife both will watch Seal Team and the brave.

Valor is the worst. Pseudo nightstalker unit where apparently uniform, grooming, and frat discipline don't apply stateside. And repeated totally bogus flying training exercises.

FF, Betty blue resurfaced on seal team. I guess he cross branched. Can't believe you're dissin dirtdiver and cool breeze. Yeah, the unit was bogus at times and had too much family drama. But they still did some cool stuff, had a lot of pinzgauers and unimogs, and was kind of the first-of-its-kind. "Go for snakedoctor..."

Now every TV show is all "copy that" bogus radio talk.

Firefly
01-05-18, 08:36
Dirt Diver was okay. I just hated that his wife couldnt stop whoring.

I liked Hammerhead because he looked like he could be a real guy.

But if the bald guy is cool breeze then yeah...he just bugged me. I dunno why he just did.

I feel that if they focused solely on the team and their missions and had no women ruining things then that might've changed a lot.

Army Wives went on lomger than The Unit. Because they took out all the cool stuff and put it on Lifetime.

I wanna see dudes in Tigers going to make ear necklaces out of Medellin. Not worrying about their women.

It could've been the American Strike Back.

It totally lost me at "I'm Midge".

If folks wanna experiment in their youth whatever, but 90 year old gay dudes are gross. I'm sorry. But even 90 year old straight folks are gross.

Nobody wants to see that maaan.

Alex V
01-05-18, 09:49
Yeah if you hate the military and like to see SEALS depicted as cold blooded murders...

It was just one, and Walton Goggins did a really good job playing a troubled person. I don't think he was a murder. I think the show leaves that up to you to decide. Either way I look past the politics and enjoy the gun play.

Five_Point_Five_Six
01-05-18, 11:11
Funny, I like the brave better than any of the alternatives on currently.

It makes no pretense as being a real unit. That was intentional. So you don't get the "they don't really do that" stuff that you do with 6, Seal Team, Etc. I don't mind having some of the back office intel backstory.

SEAL team is totally following "the unit" approach. Family backstories, Etc. Maybe not as much as the unit did, but still quite a bit. Daughter and wife both will watch Seal Team and the brave.

Valor is the worst. Pseudo nightstalker unit where apparently uniform, grooming, and frat discipline don't apply stateside. And repeated totally bogus flying training exercises.

FF, Betty blue resurfaced on seal team. I guess he cross branched. Can't believe you're dissin dirtdiver and cool breeze. Yeah, the unit was bogus at times and had too much family drama. But they still did some cool stuff, had a lot of pinzgauers and unimogs, and was kind of the first-of-its-kind. "Go for snakedoctor..."

Now every TV show is all "copy that" bogus radio talk.

I liked The Unit when it was on, but it was a far cry from Strike Back.

I didn't like Flash Point. Boring.

The Brave was just terrible to me.

chuckman
01-05-18, 15:04
I feel that if they focused solely on the team and their missions and had no women ruining things then that might've changed a lot.

Army Wives went on lomger than The Unit. Because they took out all the cool stuff and put it on Lifetime.

Yup. Unfortunately, these shows try to get both demographics: the soap opera chicks and the steely-eyed killers. Same can be said for Six. It had some high points, but suffered the same fate of allowing the family dynamics BS interfere in good stories.

Honu
01-05-18, 15:05
the main thing that got me with "The Unit" is when the wives kinda became operators in the mission at home :)
forogt what season that started ?

but did watch it cause nothing else was close ?

same as the brave kinda watching it cause nothing else new is on like it ?
but I tend to watch those while editing so not really watching as much as glancing :)