PDA

View Full Version : Noisy buffer tube

Pacific5th
01-07-18, 22:30
I hope this does not turn into a pissing contest about how many of you hate PSA cause I’m pretty happy with my A4 clone I put together using there 20” upper and fixed stock. I put it on a older Bushy lower I had laying around and found a KAC RAS rail for cheap. From a couple feet away it looks just like the one I carried in the service which is what I was going for.

Anyways the one and only issue I have is the buffer and spring is noisy. My other AR and my buddies are all pretty smooth and quite. So should I look into just replacing the tube or the spring as well? It shoots great and does not malfunction so it’s not a real problem but it does bug me.

Thanks.

Pacific5th
01-08-18, 01:46
If you think I should replace the tube and or spring what would you use?

rocketman
01-08-18, 03:29
The first time I fired an AR (in the service) many moons ago, I thought I had broken it. The buffer noise was that loud. I've either quit hearing it over the years or they don't do it any more.

Rascally
01-08-18, 06:17
I'd just get some lube on the spring and then shoot it. The tube is aluminum, the spring is steel. Over time the steel will polish the aluminum smooth and the noise will go away.

Fordtough25
01-08-18, 06:54
2nd here for some lube on the spring and shoot the snot out of it! I thought it was odd the first time I shot with an A2 also but no worries.

markm
01-08-18, 09:05
Whoa.. this is an ARFcom circa 1995 thread. Real (i.e. COLT) REs are like glass on the inside surface. I too don't think about it or hear it... not sure which.

Pacific5th
01-08-18, 10:01
I will try the lube before anything else. It’s not like I haven’t shot a A2 or A4 before. This one just seems extra noisy.

Joe Mamma
01-08-18, 10:03
Anyways the one and only issue I have is the buffer and spring is noisy. My other AR and my buddies are all pretty smooth and quite. So should I look into just replacing the tube or the spring as well? It shoots great and does not malfunction so it’s not a real problem but it does bug me.

Thanks.

I think replacing the tube will not make any difference in sound.

I know some people apply grease to the spring to cut down on the sound. I do not do this because it seems very messy, and the sound has never bothered me.

You may want to try an "Enhanced" spring from Damage Industries. They are not designed to reduce sound, but that is supposed to be one of the benefits. Here is a link to it:

http://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=391

I do not have any experience with his spring, but they are a reputable company, so it may be worth a try.

Joe Mamma

markm
01-08-18, 10:33
I will try the lube before anything else. It’s not like I haven’t shot a A2 or A4 before. This one just seems extra noisy.

It can be a combination of things. Some springs are just rougher too. And the way the gun is gassed can impact the bolt speed and resulting vibration of the action spring.

If you have another similarly buffered gun, you could try doing a quick swap of buffer and springs to see if that helps.

HeruMew
01-08-18, 10:39
Does it shoot, is it precise and accurate?

If so, cool. Add a light film of oil to the spring and shoot that sumbitch.

I have a few different spring sets. Some Sprinco, a Colt Rilfe Length, multiple misc carbine springs, and a Tubb Carbine Flatwire.

The flat wire, by far, is the nosiest in regards to "Sproing" and that worked itself out well within the first 500 rounds.

It's like the sounding fork syndrome that the splined flash hiders give off.

Does it really cause a problem? Nah? Well, than just be happy and shoot it. For something that explodes at 100+ decibels, it always amazes me that people will bring up worry about the springs making a 15 decibel noise. I can understand if you're SpecOps and wanting a rifle as silent as can be, but even then, how quiet is "quiet"; anyone who would truly need a quiet rifle wouldn't/shouldn't be manipulating it when silence is needed.

If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. That's how things break more or stop working.

RVTMaverick
01-08-18, 11:17
The Spring is the 1st thing I'd Work: I'd hit it with oiled Emery paper, then Scotch Brite, I worked the OD of the spring for a bit. Then cleaned off all the grit with WD-40, next, Dried off clean, lastly I put a thin layer of White Lythium <sp] Grease on the spring and she's good to go.;)

I FORGOT THE MOST IMPORTANT/BEST THING TO DO, TO HELP..>>>------->.. MASTER BRAKE CYLINDER HONE.... AND HONE THE BUFFER TUBE..

OR Ofcourse, do as others have said, Just Shoot it. LOL

ChattanoogaPhil
01-08-18, 11:44
Just out of curiosity... a couple years ago I purchased a Damage Industries chrome silicon spring.
To my surprise it eliminated the noise as advertised. No lubes used.
It was one sale for $6 around Xmas time.
If you do a lot of ocean water diving with your rifle might want to stay with the mil spec stainless steel.

MeanCarbine
01-08-18, 11:47
If you can't stand the "sprong," get a Tubb Precision flatwire buffer spring. Mine is quiet.

LMT/556
01-08-18, 12:16
My LMT A2 is noisier than my carbine tubes, slinky like, sounds just like a Colt HBAR I knew in my younger days, so likely normal for a fixed A2.

MegademiC
01-08-18, 12:21
I like the sound, it makes it easy to tell when the wont fire again.
That said, Id likely put “spring noise” right with “muzzle device ringing” and asthetics on the chart.

01-08-18, 13:16
If you can't stand the "sprong," get a Tubb Precision flatwire buffer spring. Mine is quiet.
Loudest spring I’ve used, for me.

3 AE
01-08-18, 13:19
Recommendation: Go to range and fire five rounds without earpro. Let us know if you hear a noisy buffer spring. Seriously, is this noise upsetting someone on the firing line? Is it giving away your position in a tactical situation? You actually hear this when the gun goes off? Or is this something you pick up when pulling back the charging handle and releasing the BCG? I'd ask Larry Vickers, Travis Haley, Clint Smith, etc., etc. if a noisy buffer spring/buffer/buffer tube ever affected their capability to send rounds accurately down range when engaged in a firefight. This obsession with buffer spring noise is :sad:

HeruMew
01-08-18, 13:30

Loudest spring I’ve used, for me.

As echoed in my main post, on the first page, I agree with this rhetoric in my own anecdotal experiences.

My Tubbs was the loudest I had ever used, and even left a audible ring after the BCG hits home.

But, it's not a big deal. I got used to after 20 seconds when my magazine locked back and the gassing felt better for the overgassed upper that was slapped on it.

01-08-18, 15:10
But, it's not a big deal.
Truth. My loud Tubbs spring is still properly doing spring stuff, so no big deal.

556Cliff
01-08-18, 15:17
Whoa.. this is an ARFcom circa 1995 thread. Real (i.e. COLT) REs are like glass on the inside surface. I too don't think about it or hear it... not sure which.

Agree on the Colt receiver extensions being smoother on the inside than other brands.

I have three Colt rifle receiver extensions at the moment, 2 newer ones from Brownells and an older one from Specialized Armament. The older one from Specialized Armament is the smoothest of the three... Just like you said, it's like glass on the inside.

The one Vltor A5 receiver extension that I have is glass smooth on the inside as well, and it's the nicest machined receiver extension that I have seen too.

mlberry
01-10-18, 06:25
Interesting. My Colt SP1 is noisier with that AR15 sproing (it's just like the M16A1 I fired in the 1970s that we all came to know and love) in the buffer than my PSA M4 . I don't hear any commotion in the buffer tube in the M4.

ScottsBad
01-10-18, 13:53
The quietest buffer/spring/tube combos that I have are based on LMT REs. The LMT REs have a secondary grayish coat of Teflon (or something) on the inside and outside of the tube over the anodizing. This coating makes them very quiet compared to all my other builds using Vltor and BCM REs.

The only problem with the LMT REs is that the adjustable stock, over time, slowly wears off portions of the coating leaving the black anodizing coming through. If you don't mind switching to a carbine buffer, care more about performance than looks, and don't mind spending $45 for a RE, then I say get the LMT Mil-Spec Carbine RE. Its the quietest tube I've used assuming they still put the extra coating on.

BTW - I use Sprinco tactical springs too. Oh, and I can recommend the Tubbs flatwire spring if you want to keep the rifle buffer. I dont know if it will make the buffer quieter (can't remember (I gave the rifle to my son), but they work very well.

Iraqgunz
01-10-18, 14:16
People that are worried about spring noise should sell their guns and get AK's.

Stickman
01-10-18, 14:38
People that are worried about spring noise should sell their guns and get AK's.

I would guess there is probably a market for REs (buffer tubes) that are polished on the inside for "significantly improved" operation.

Titan74
01-10-18, 15:13
I never thought that the sprong was an issue, until I shot a suppressed AR-15 in 300 Blackout with subsonic ammo. That really was Hollywood quiet, and the sprong was really annoying. The solution was JP Silent Captured Spring.