PDA

View Full Version : Help me build a "Space Gun"

Sry0fcr
01-11-18, 14:56
Let me preface this by saying that I really don't know where to start with this project, but M4C has always been a fantastic resource.

The mission: build a reliable functioning rifle with the visual taste for 12 and 14 year old boys that play CoD (KAC URXs aren't sexy to them)

I'm starting with a Colt OEM and limiting the "pizzazz" to furniture only for obvious reasons but I don't know who of the *ahem* "more creative" hand guard makers are worth looking at. Scrolling though Rainier Arms, I see stuff from Vella, Strike Industries, Battle Arms Development and Fortis that might fit the bill but I have no experience with these or similar brands. Since you guys tend to be more critical of products I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

js8588
01-11-18, 15:02
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s320x320/e35/22858376_730464927149738_7783370073460178944_n.jpg

Yes, that's a build I have in progress.

militarymoron
01-11-18, 15:03
Is this a 'just for fun/aesthetic' build or do you have a specific purpose for this rifle in mind? There is 'space gun' stuff out there that is more look than performance, or even detracts from performance; and there is stuff that looks cool and functions well too.
Based on my limited experience, Battle Arms Development products don't compromise utility/function for the sake of looking cool - I'd start there.

Rhyyke
01-11-18, 15:09
Use that hardguard with the weird claws up front. It's by Kinetic something.

On the other hand if you want to impress the CoD crowd, the only answer is a complete HK416/MR556.

Cokie
01-11-18, 15:13
Cerakote it white except the barrel. Make it look like a honey badger or something. Color fill roll marks/safety red/yellow/electric blue.

Sry0fcr
01-11-18, 15:19
Is this a 'just for fun/aesthetic' build or do you have a specific purpose for this rifle in mind? There is 'space gun' stuff out there that is more look than performance, or even detracts from performance; and there is stuff that looks cool and functions well too.
Based on my limited experience, Battle Arms Development products don't compromise utility/function for the sake of looking cool - I'd start there.

The purpose is to get my boys online with their own rifles and keep them interested in shooting. The guns can look "cool" but they still need to be able to run. That said, for now they're range guns I don't need to worry about stuff getting hung up on their plate carriers or getting run over by a truck.

1911-A1
01-11-18, 15:26
The purpose is to get my boys online with their own rifles and keep them interested in shooting. The guns can look "cool" but they still need to be able to run. That said, for now they're range guns I don't need to worry about stuff getting hung up on their plate carriers or getting run over by a truck.

Why not have the boys customize their own guns like they do in the game? A huge part of these games is upgrading your kit.

Sit down and have them pick parts they like, then assemble and paint them to their taste.

Firefly
01-11-18, 15:31
ARMS SIR rails look all futuristic but they are stupid expensive and they suck

Hmac
01-11-18, 15:33
In my experience, if you have to do something "unusual" to get them or keep them interested in shooting...it's already a lost cause. The kids that are actually interested in shooting will be clamoring to do it regardless of what the rifle looks like.

officerX
01-11-18, 15:37
Why not have the boys customize their own guns like they do in the game? A huge part of these games is upgrading your kit.

Sit down and have them pick parts they like, then assemble and paint them to their taste.

This is an excellent idea!

In my experience, if you have to do something "unusual" to get them or keep them interested in shooting...it's already a lost cause. The kids that are actually interested in shooting will be clamoring to do it regardless of what the rifle looks like.

True, but his idea surely won't hurt.

Sry0fcr
01-11-18, 15:38

I'm fine with that, but I need to limit their options to things that have been vetted (to a certain degree). I'm not putting UTG/Leapers shit on anything.

Outlander Systems
01-11-18, 15:42
http://ammo-inc.com/streak-videos/

You're welcome.

Sry0fcr
01-11-18, 15:43

I don't disagree, but they asked for their own guns. I take that as a good sign. Plus I want them to have their own in case the political winds shift over the next few years/decades.

Alpine2k3
01-11-18, 15:55
Maybe something like this?

Hmac
01-11-18, 18:10
I don't disagree, but they asked for their own guns.

Always a good sign. I wouldn't buy a gun for anybody unless they asked for it.

Plato
01-11-18, 18:38
Space gun was already built by Sailent or the HK G35.

Renegade0100
01-11-18, 21:57
Get a Honey Badger by Q, an HK416, or go for a battle-worn "modern" build and wrap it in bandages. Sig's Rattler would be cool too. Any of the guns from Cobalt Kinetics. In essence, anything that looks streamlined with sharp edges and cuts will look futuristic.

AKDoug
01-11-18, 22:03
I'll be the grumpy asshole today... Look them in the eye and say.. "see that on the screen.. it's make believe bullshit." You want a dependable, vetted rifle, we are going to buy two 6920's put irons on them and learn to shoot like men. Otherwise all you are doing is raising the next generation of ARFCOMers....

Cokie
01-11-18, 22:50
I'll be the grumpy asshole today... Look them in the eye and say.. "see that on the screen.. it's make believe bullshit." You want a dependable, vetted rifle, we are going to buy two 6920's put irons on them and learn to shoot like men. Otherwise all you are doing is raising the next generation of ARFCOMers....

Sometimes you have to meet people on their level. Glad I got the dad I got.

MistWolf
01-12-18, 00:53

This is how I handled it. I got my son's basic rifles and took them shooting. I always let them know video games and movies are not real life. Men use firearms that work in real life.

Get them 6920s or 6970s. Let them shoot their ARs and make changes as they grow and gain experience. That's what my father did. That's how my father mentored my journey. You owe it to your sons to start them off right :)

GH41
01-12-18, 06:34

I'll add... Real guns shouldn't look like toys and toys shouldn't look like real guns. The OP's kids are close enough in age to share one rifle that dad owns and lets them shoot.

Sry0fcr
01-12-18, 09:00

I got my son's basic rifles and took them shooting. I always let them know video games and movies are not real life. Men use firearms that work in real life.

Get them 6920s or 6970s. Let them shoot their ARs and make changes as they grow and gain experience. That's what my father did. That's how my father mentored my journey. You owe it to your sons to start them off right :)

I'll add... Real guns shouldn't look like toys and toys shouldn't look like real guns. The OP's kids are close enough in age to share one rifle that dad owns and lets them shoot.

Fellas, My boys are silly; not stupid. They know that the guns in COD aren't real or just tarted up facsimiles of actual guns. They've been shooting my guns (6920, 6720, SR-15) for years. I've been training them on finger/muzzle discipline with airsoft for years and for even more years with Nerf guns before that... The whole point is to get them their own 6920s. Albeit with a "cool" FF tube and stock. I have no doubt that eventually they'll move away from what you and I consider goofy looking but that's where they are for the time being and I'm as okay with that as I am with their metal studded Converse, paint splattered shorts and wallet chain. This too, shall pass.

We've become the stubborn old men on the internet forums, except instead of "Wood and steel!" it's "Get a 6920." :sarcastic:

JasonB1
01-12-18, 09:07
https://www.gunskins.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_eTCytrS2AIVnIqzCh3PRQAQEAAYASAAEgIFOPD_BwE

Might be of interest and not married to it if they pick one they tire of.

To me, these look different, but work well.

https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail.html

Hammer27
01-12-18, 10:59
Odd question...does it need to be an AR?

Sry0fcr
01-12-18, 11:09
Odd question...does it need to be an AR?

No but practically speaking it'll probably end up that way since Colt OEMs are under $700 and Trooper are under $800.

Stickman
01-12-18, 11:11
I think the idea is great! Why not check out what their various weapon loadouts look like in the game? If they are going to be involved in the project, hop online and go over the RA (or whomever) website with them.

You can always go to a webpage with the boys and play “go or no go”. Go to my flickr or tumblr page and go through the thousands of pics, you guys all vote “go” if you like the configuration, and “no go”if you don’t like it. If you do it together, it should make for a fun time, and you can get to know their likes and dislikes. You may find they are more into the colors than particular rails. Obviously it doesn’t need to be my picture pages, I’m just the only one I know offhand who has the bulk amount of images.

1911-A1
01-12-18, 16:43
Even better, get a bone stock BCM midlength with basic round handguards and A2 grip, then have them do chores to "unlock" new gear!

26 Inf
01-12-18, 19:03
Fellas, My boys are silly; not stupid. They know that the guns in COD aren't real or just tarted up facsimiles of actual guns. They've been shooting my guns (6920, 6720, SR-15) for years. I've been training them on finger/muzzle discipline with airsoft for years and for even more years with Nerf guns before that... The whole point is to get them their own 6920s. Albeit with a "cool" FF tube and stock. I have no doubt that eventually they'll move away from what you and I consider goofy looking but that's where they are for the time being and I'm as okay with that as I am with their metal studded Converse, paint splattered shorts and wallet chain. This too, shall pass.

We've become the stubborn old men on the internet forums, except instead of "Wood and steel!" it's "Get a 6920." :sarcastic:

If we are voting, I think you are doing a heck of a job. Continue to march.

RobertTheTexan
01-12-18, 22:48
The whole point is to get them their own 6920s. Albeit with a "cool" FF tube and stock:

OP - Stick has a great idea and he has a gazillion photos...I’ve also noticed that Dsully also posts some pretty rad looking AR’s especially of the SBR variety but surely you can get some ideas from Stick or DSully.

I think the idea is great! Why not check out what their various weapon loadouts look like in the game? If they are going to be involved in the project, hop online and go over the RA (or whomever) website with them.

You can always go to a webpage with the boys and play “go or no go”. Go to my flickr or tumblr page and go through the thousands of pics, you guys all vote “go” if you like the configuration, and “no go”if you don’t like it. If you do it together, it should make for a fun time, and you can get to know their likes and dislikes. You may find they are more into the colors than particular rails. Obviously it doesn’t need to be my picture pages, I’m just the only one I know offhand who has the bulk amount of images.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RobertTheTexan
01-12-18, 22:56
Also have you checked out some of the what I call “ridiculous” but others may call “cool” cerakote schemes? I’ve seen stuff I wouldn’t be caught dead with - because I’m a meat and potatoes AR guy, but your boys may find them cool at this stage.

Just look at his Google search: “insane cerakoted at-15s”

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180113/1bb9f00b3c0736db8bfac6818865fb8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sry0fcr
01-15-18, 09:43
I told my 11 year old about the idea over the weekend on our way to his basketball tournament. A smile slowly crept over his face and he blathered on about defiantly wanting a red dot and the possibility of painting it gold (I googled some Cerakote, jobs and depending on the exact color it might not look terrible, heh). Between games, we scrolled through Rainier Arms site and he chose the Fortis Night rail. Should look similar to Rainier's Urban Carbine when finished.

Stickman
01-15-18, 13:21
Does he have any interest in painting it himself?

Sry0fcr
01-15-18, 13:27
Does he have any interest in painting it himself?

I can tell you that I have interest if it saves me money, I brought up rattle canning it... But I also have a friend that does coating on the side. What do you have in mind Stick?

panzerr
01-15-18, 21:25
Check out blowndeadline's boba fett cerakote. It's wicked cool.

http://blowndeadline.net/

MA2_Navy_Veteran
01-17-18, 09:38
I always though of this gun as being "spaceie" like from Star Wars or something. Snagged these pics off of Arfcom a ways back. Don't remember the thread or the details of these though...

Hulkstr8
01-17-18, 12:12
As a young man who grew up playing COD religiously, I think this is a dumb idea.

On my recent first builds I got caught up alot in how the rifle looked and not how it performed. I found out that you pay more for looks than function and after going through the whole experience I would have much rather valued a functional rifle + training/ammo.

That being said. I will build a damned space gun sometime in the future. Also if you are looking at cerakote Mike at BDL does great work (I have too much MI pride), but he is expensive and there are plenty of solid cerakoters out there. DO NOT use the friend of a friend (who is a gunsmith) like I did -I hate cerakote now. Annnnnnd scene.

JasonB1
01-17-18, 12:44
If we are going for Star Wars look..

Sry0fcr
11-12-18, 11:26
Just as an update to the thread.

The kids are still interested, even asked when we were going back to the range. And when we're getting their hand guards (kept getting put off while we do work on the house: roof, fence, flooring, new office... never ends). We recently got them set up with optics, PA KISS 1-6x, and PA 3x. Christmas is coming up though...

AndyLate
11-12-18, 12:33
Since you expressed an interest in painting/coating and mentioned handguards, ALG is blowing out their economy rails for $48 - $54, depending on length. https://algdefense.com/ergonomic-modular-rail-v0-e.html

They are almost a plain tube, so may or may not be what you are looking for. The price is right and quality is high, though.

Andy

daddyusmaximus
11-12-18, 12:44
Even better, get a bone stock BCM midlength with basic round handguards and A2 grip, then have them do chores to "unlock" new gear!

As long as this is still going on... I love the hell out of this idea to keep it going. It does the dad thing of teaching them, but in their own language. My kids always had to earn things.

MegademiC
11-12-18, 13:13
Nothing says space gun like a tommybuilt xm8, but they are pricey. From his site:

https://www.tommybuilttactical.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/x/m/xm8c.jpg

turnburglar
11-12-18, 16:01

This.

A 10 year old Jimi Hendrix carried around a broom on his back to simulate a guitar before he found a banjo at a garage sale. A single string banjo is NOTHING like a stratocaster, but it was close enough for young Hendrix to get a taste.... and the rest as they say is history.

If I really wanted to get kids guns I'd hand them a 6920. If they dont like that then they are not shooters. Period.

The_War_Wagon
11-12-18, 16:27
"I Come in Peace!"

With a Calico M-950. :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/I-Come-in-Peace_zpspamctv03.png

docsherm
11-12-18, 16:50
"I Come in Peace!"

With a Calico M-950. :cool:

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/I-Come-in-Peace_zpspamctv03.png

"You Go in Pieces".

:jester: