PDA

View Full Version : bcm 14.5 question

Clyde777
01-12-18, 09:19
I am about to pick up a 14.5 pinned bcm midlength but had a quick question. Does the muzzle device have an effect on the back pressure to help cycle lower power ammo through a 14.5 midlength? For example if I get the bcm mod 1 pinned would that help or would a pws fsc556 mod 2 make it more reliable while cycling lower power ammo?

joeyjoe
01-12-18, 11:21
I have several BCM 14.5 upper groups. Love them. Two have A2X flash hiders and Two have mod 1 BCM comps. Both configurations run everything I've attempted to run through them. To be clear, i don't run steel cased junk through them, but they handle relatively under powered .223 brass just fine. Both the BCM comp and the FSC556 are going to add back pressure to the system when compared to the A2X. I haven't found the addition of the back pressure or the absence of said back pressure to be an issue. However, it is worth mentioning that, anecdotally (i don't own a pin gauge set), it appears that, at some point over the last 5 years, BCM has slightly enlarged their gas ports on their 14.5 middies.
Personally, i have settled on the BCM BFH 14.5 mid length with pinned A2X Flash hider as my go to base configuration. Most comps/muzzle brakes just induce too much flash and blast for my taste. Best of luck!

Wake27
01-12-18, 12:16
Why didn’t you just ask this question in the thread you started a day ago instead of starting a whole new thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

markm
01-12-18, 12:21
Run an H buffer and you should be ok with milder loads.

Clyde777
01-12-18, 12:46
Okay I will run an h buffer with it hopefully it cycles steel cased

ScottsBad
01-12-18, 13:13
I run an H buffer too with a standard spring. I don't shoot steel, but it performs fine on every kind of brass case ammo I've shot through it. Including the weak PMC Bronze .223. I think I have an FSC 556 on mine, but I bet it would run the same with a BCM muzzle break or an A2. You could always swap out to a Carbine buffer if you have problems, but I highly doubt you will.

Biggy
01-12-18, 15:08
I have several BCM 14.5 upper groups. Love them. Two have A2X flash hiders and Two have mod 1 BCM comps. Both configurations run everything I've attempted to run through them. To be clear, i don't run steel cased junk through them, but they handle relatively under powered .223 brass just fine. Both the BCM comp and the FSC556 are going to add back pressure to the system when compared to the A2X. I haven't found the addition of the back pressure or the absence of said back pressure to be an issue. However, it is worth mentioning that, anecdotally (i don't own a pin gauge set), it appears that, at some point over the last 5 years, BCM has slightly enlarged their gas ports on their 14.5 middies.
Personally, i have settled on the BCM BFH 14.5 mid length with pinned A2X Flash hider as my go to base configuration. Most comps/muzzle brakes just induce too much flash and blast for my taste. Best of luck!

I just got a brand new BCM CHF ELW 14.5" inch mid-length gas barrel from Bravo Co. Its gas port pin measured exactly .070" thousands of an inch in diameter.

Iraqgunz
01-12-18, 17:59
As mentioned above. We don't need a new thread every time a new question arises.