PDA

View Full Version : Ruger ar 5.56 barrel upgrade to mid length or rifle length gas system?

p5200
01-14-18, 04:39
Has anyone, replaced the barrel with a mid or rifle length gas system on this particular model rifle? If so, what barrel did you use and how did you like it? Any suggestions on barrels that would be a good choice are welcomed also Thanks folks! :smile:

GH41
01-14-18, 09:14
There are exceptions but typically modern barrels shorter than 14 1/2 use carbine gas, 14 1/2 -16 use mid or carbine and 18 up rifle gas. What are you trying to gain by switching the barrel??

p5200
01-14-18, 09:54
There are exceptions but typically modern barrels shorter than 14 1/2 use carbine gas, 14 1/2 -16 use mid or carbine and 18 up rifle gas. What are you trying to gain by switching the barrel??

Mine is 16" barrel with carbine length gas system, I was hoping I might be able to replace it with at least mid length system or, maybe even rifle gas system of equal or better accuracy and from what I've read should be a little softer shooting and not as hard on the components like a carbine length. I've added a Lantac dragon to help with muzzle climb for faster follow up shots. I've got Magpul handguard, stock etc. added now but, would like to go with a free float longer hand rail later also. I'm new to Ar's and don't think on my budget, I could afford a whole new upper assembly still, got a lot to learn. Thanks very much! :) Would this work with my bcg? http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-nitride-5-56-nato-1-7-moe-freedom-upper-without-bcg-ch-7780446.html

AndyLate
01-14-18, 11:11
The PSA upper should work with your BCG, but you would be taking a step backwards in quality and lose your factory warranty.

If your budget precludes your buying a complete upper, then ammunition is a better investment than changing your barrel or upper.

There is really nothing wrong with a carbine gas 16" gun, Colt has been building and selling them successfully for years. Seriously, shoot and enjoy your carbine, thats why you bought it.

Andy

voiceofreason
01-14-18, 11:31
Shoot out your current barrel and put the ammo you'd be spending on upgrading instead toward more ammo.

Ammo is gas for your gun and it's better to drive a slightly slower car more places than to continually upgrade a car that sits in a garage and rarely gets driven.

Training/practicing makes for a better driver/shooter as well.

Only upgrade non-ergonomics when malfunctioning or worn out.

grizzman
01-14-18, 11:51
In what barrel profile are you interested.....SPR, government, light weight, pencil, or other?

If you know that you want to install a free float handguard, then it's easier to do that as part of the barrel upgrade. Otherwise, you'll need a barrel with an A2 FSB now, then later you'll need to remove the FSB (which isn't something I enjoy doing) and buy and install a low profile gas block. This barrel won't be dimpled for one, so that should also be done.

Have you thought about changing to an A5 receiver extension/buffer setup instead of replacing the barrel. This should make the carbine a bit smoother and softer shooting.

I agree with AndyLate's statement that there's nothing wrong with a 16" carbine gassed gun. Colt has been making them successfully not for years, but for decades. Any component that would fail isn't going to magically last forever if it's put into motion via a mid length gas system.

JasonB1
01-14-18, 12:28
The only real downside to the Ruger barrel is that it seems to lack nitriding. Keep it clean and avoid Russian ammo (something in it seems to rust in my experience) and you should be set.

GH41
01-14-18, 13:57
Mine is 16" barrel with carbine length gas system, I was hoping I might be able to replace it with at least mid length system or, maybe even rifle gas system of equal or better accuracy and from what I've read should be a little softer shooting and not as hard on the components like a carbine length. I've added a Lantac dragon to help with muzzle climb for faster follow up shots. I've got Magpul handguard, stock etc. added now but, would like to go with a free float longer hand rail later also. I'm new to Ar's and don't think on my budget, I could afford a whole new upper assembly still, got a lot to learn. Thanks very much! :) Would this work with my bcg? http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-nitride-5-56-nato-1-7-moe-freedom-upper-without-bcg-ch-7780446.html

I wouldn't pay ten bucks to make a rifle I already own a mid length. The difference is something you won't notice after ten minutes of use. Having said that... I would buy a mid gas gun if starting from scratch. BTW... The PSA upper you linked to would be a step down from where you are at now IMO and you would pay 200 bucks for mid gas and nothing else. I really don't see the logic in changing the barrel and handguard of an entry level upper. I would just buy a quality upper configured like you want and sell the other to offset the cost.

Eazyeach
01-14-18, 14:05
For gods sake don't worry about your barrel and gas system. I have a mid length and a carbine length gas system on my 16" guns and I cannot tell a difference at all. People on the webs say mid length is waaay smoother. Not hardly. Don't throw anymore money into that rifle. Wear that thing out then think about rebuilding/modifications.