PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge stuck in LE6920 barrel

Krp7894
01-14-18, 17:22
Hi all
Went and shot about 300 rounds today out of my LE6920 and Spikes. I shot a mix of .223 today that was American Eagle and Fiocchi. The girlfriend was shooting the LE6920 when the issue happened. She called me over and i noticed the casing was wedged partially in the barrel at the feed ramps. I had to grab a rod and poke it out but when I did I noticed the bullet tip was depressed down into the top portion of the shell casing and there wasn’t a depressed primer on the round. I’m not sure if it was Fiocchi or AE. The Range officer took the round from us before I could take a pic. Any idea what could’ve caused this? Could this have damaged my rifle at all? Here’s a few pics of the feed ramps I took real quick.

Thanks in advance.

IraqVet1982
01-14-18, 18:47
Bullet setback or bad primer ignition would be my guess. I wouldn't be worried about it, assuming it continued to fire after that misfire.

If it still has hiccups, check the firing pin for damage.

Krp7894
01-14-18, 18:52
I ran another 30 round mag without a hitch right after. Tight groupings and all. I was just concerned about it, I love my LE6920.

MegademiC
01-14-18, 21:13
Sounds like a bullet wasnt crimped properly. Rifle looksfine from pics.

Krp7894
01-14-18, 21:35
Should I not be shooting .223 and just go with AE 5.56 instead ?

tigershilone
01-14-18, 21:41
Why did the RO take your round? Did you give it to him? Hard to figure this out, monday morning quarterback style, without the evidence to go on.

Sounds like it's not a problem anymore since it ran fine after that.

Krp7894
01-14-18, 22:13
Well I didn’t have a rod handy so I had to ask the RO for one. He asked to take the round and I just handed it over to him and he brought it over to one of the other Range officers. This particular range is pretty strict and they go as far as making sure your brass gets sweeped up and recycled in their bins. They don’t allow brass to be taken by shooters usually. He came over to me with the gun and took the round pretty quick. Now that I think about it I wish I asked for it back.

bamashooter
01-15-18, 06:57
Fortunately I have no need to go to ranges though I'm greatly wanting to drive down to that fancy CMP range in Talladega. Is that normal practice where they keep your expended brass?

Krp7894
01-15-18, 07:16
Fortunately I have no need to go to ranges though I'm greatly wanting to drive down to that fancy CMP range in Talladega. Is that normal practice where they keep your expended brass?

In this particular one I believe so. I know they sell their own ammo though I've never used it I always bring my own. Its possible they recycle the casings for repacking. On Long Island we don't have a lot of ranges to choose from and there is virtually no place to shoot on your own property. You would have to go to upstate NY for that.

bamashooter
01-15-18, 11:25
In this particular one I believe so. I know they sell their own ammo though I've never used it I always bring my own. Its possible they recycle the casings for repacking. On Long Island we don't have a lot of ranges to choose from and there is virtually no place to shoot on your own property. You would have to go to upstate NY for that.

Thanks, just never gave it thought before. But the way people are I wouldn't doubt some "private" ranges may have that policy for, as you stated, selling reloads, selling brass, etc.

26 Inf
01-15-18, 11:56
Thanks, just never gave it thought before. But the way people are I wouldn't doubt some "private" ranges may have that policy for, as you stated, selling reloads, selling brass, etc.

OP doesn't note if this was an indoor range or an outdoor range. Most indoor ranges I've been to are brass loss ranges.

With the close proximity in that environment, plus the differing levels of expertise, and therefore safety and weapon handling skills, you wouldn't want folks moving around picking up brass while other shooters are handling weapons.

If this was on a commercial outdoor range, the same issues may be in play.

Krp7894
01-15-18, 12:05
Sorry, indoor range. And yes, they want all brass placed into a recycle bin that’s in every single Range Room.

bamashooter
01-15-18, 13:37
Sorry, indoor range. And yes, they want all brass placed into a recycle bin that’s in every single Range Room.

Does the shooter police the brass and put it in the bin?

Krp7894
01-15-18, 13:41
Does the shooter police the brass and put it in the bin?

Yes. They have several Range officers on staff who watch through the plexiglass window almost the whole time. I’ve never attempted to take brass home anyway.

bamashooter
01-15-18, 16:35
Yes. They have several Range officers on staff who watch through the plexiglass window almost the whole time. I’ve never attempted to take brass home anyway.

Wasn't for certain but that's kinda what I thought. But I didn't think of the window. Two-way mirror? :rolleyes:

Krp7894
01-15-18, 16:46
No, you can see through on both sides

hk_shootr
01-15-18, 20:51
At indoor ranges like that, I install a case catching bag on my carbine. I see no reason to allow the range to keep MY brass.