PDA

View Full Version : Possible Criminal Charges Against Sanctuary City Leaders

Doc Safari
01-16-18, 16:15
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-16/dhs-planning-arrest-sanctuary-city-leaders

Having been grilled by Democratic lawmakers over her recollections of a White House meeting in which President Trump described some poor nations sending immigrants to the United States as "shithole countries," Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen dropped a potentially even bigger tape-bomb.

According to The Washington Times, Nielsen confirmed Tuesday that her department has asked federal prosecutors to see if they can lodge criminal charges against sanctuary cities that refuse to cooperate with federal deportation efforts.

My take: Don't....mess....with....THE DONALD.

Firefly
01-16-18, 16:33
As well they should. If you cant honor your Oath, don't take the job.

Nobody asked these people to run for office

officerX
01-16-18, 16:38
I won't believe it until there's a conviction. Not a charge, not an indictment, a conviction. After the circus that was the investigation of Hillary I don't believe anything will happen.

soulezoo
01-16-18, 18:19
Mayor of Sacramento is openly defiant and dares them to come and get him.

docsherm
01-16-18, 18:32
I would love to see the Feds roll into CA Waco style and grab these A#$clowns.

For us in TX..... Just drop some Federal charges on our favorite Shariff in Austin and our Rangers will take care of it for them...... :cool:

Dienekes
01-16-18, 18:49
Putting a few of those “sanctimonious” bastards in general population with MS-13 types would bring them around pretty fast.

SteveS
01-16-18, 18:57
The complicit government employees need jail time a well.

docsherm
01-16-18, 19:03
Putting a few of those “sanctimonious” bastards in general population with MS-13 types would bring them around pretty fast.

I really like the way you think.....

kwelz
01-16-18, 19:16
First off let me say I do not agree with Sanctuary Cities.

But I have a question. Would you have the same response to city or state leaders who say they would ignore federal gun control laws?

Alex V
01-16-18, 19:16
I would love to see this but I doubt it will happen.

Dist. Expert 26
01-16-18, 19:24
This has the possibility of being positively amazing. Even if they just get a few mayors and city officials the message will be clear.

SeriousStudent
01-16-18, 19:30

But I have a question. Would you have the same response to city or state leaders who say they would ignore federal gun control laws?

Interesting question. Are you familiar with an actual instance of that happening with a state or local body? I am not, not off the top of my head.

kwelz
01-16-18, 19:47
Interesting question. Are you familiar with an actual instance of that happening with a state or local body? I am not, not off the top of my head.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/us/some-states-try-to-repel-new-federal-gun-laws.html

Plus a lot of saber rattling about it in a number of other states and cities.

It is a hard issue. States rights vs Federal Government, etc. But in the end both sides really do seem to come down to "I support it when it is an issue I agree with"

I just wish more people were honest about it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-16-18, 19:51
Mayor of Sacramento is openly defiant and dares them to come and get him.

These guys are HOPING that they are the ones that get collared. It would make them national figures and move them to the top of the Senate candidate list.

It is interesting, but there are few issues. IF this were to happen, and I don't think it would there is a major difference between protecting an illegal resident and a citizen. Citizenship is a lot more important. I'd rather fix problems that ignore them and be passive aggressive about it. The other issue is the asymmetry of an illegal here- which in the worst case they get sent home, and a citizen risking say 10 years and a felony conviction. Illegals risk far less, have less to risk and the reward for staying outweighs the risk.

Someone turns their own suppressor, hacks a barrel- they get a gun to use- and they risk everything including their freedom. If breaking the NFA got me some free meals and a ride home, I think we'd all be taking the 'risk'.

Wow, this must be what Zen looks like:

Coal Dragger
01-16-18, 20:27
As satisfying as it might be to see some of these sanctuary city leaders prosecuted, I don’t think it will happen. Nor do I think it is a good idea or a good precedent to set. As kwelz points out what if the issue were a 2nd Amendment issue where your local Sheriff wouldn’t play ball with a gun confiscation program? How would you feel then?

I think the best bet would be to cut federal funding for localities and states that don’t want to play ball. Then use that money to hire a metric shit ton of new ICE agents, and whatever other personnel are needed to process deportations. Send these extra bodies to these sanctuary cities and states. Then pay them bonuses to be as productive as possible. Build them their own holding facilities.

Hell have them wait outside local jails to start, plenty of inmates are illegally in the country nab them right as they hit the street. Put the new ICE facilities right across the street from the jail. Make it easy to get an agent there quickly. Use imminent domain to get the land to build the new ICE jails just to piss off the local governments and rub it in.

kwelz
01-16-18, 20:30
As satisfying as it might be to see some of these sanctuary city leaders prosecuted, I don’t think it will happen. Nor do I think it is a good idea or a good precedent to set. As kwelz points out what if the issue were a 2nd Amendment issue where your local Sheriff wouldn’t play ball with a gun confiscation program? How would you feel then?

I think the best bet would be to cut federal funding for localities and states that don’t want to play ball. Then use that money to hire a metric shit ton of new ICE agents, and whatever other personnel are needed to process deportations. Send these extra bodies to these sanctuary cities and states. Then pay them bonuses to be as productive as possible. Build them their own holding facilities.

Hell have them wait outside local jails to start, plenty of inmates are illegally in the country nab them right as they hit the street. Put the new ICE facilities right across the street from the jail. Make it easy to get an agent there quickly. Use imminent domain to get the land to build the new ICE jails just to piss off the local governments and rub it in.

Hard to argue with most of this. Hell it would solve 99% of the issues I have with immigration. I don't care about DACA people or the guy who was brought here at 10 and is now 40 and is living a good life. I care about the scum who came here illegally and are committing crimes and harming our country.

Coal Dragger
01-16-18, 20:41
Yep the goal should be to identify and get rid of the scumbags first.

If ICE can’t get a local agency to hold an illegal who is on the list of baddies, then it comes down to a staffing issue at ICE and a logistics issue. So to start, hire more agents. Make sure they have the ability to get to where the scumbags are quickly, and make sure they have somewhere to stuff them once they’re in hand.

Also make it very clear to these states and cities that non compliance is a lot more trouble than compliance. Have ICE turning local businesses upside down and seizing shit every day when illegals are found. Have ICE trolling the parking lot of Home Depot and follow people home with illegals they just hired to do concrete work on their back yard pool.

Get local residents and businesses furious about ICE, while making it very plain that the increase in their activities are a direct result of refusal to help enforce those laws by the local or state government.

hotrodder636
01-16-18, 20:58
Thought about this much? LOL!

I like it though.

docsherm
01-17-18, 07:34

Just like those states that ignore the drug laws....... Oh wait.... There are none of those. ;)

glocktogo
01-17-18, 11:34
I'm a huge fan of the 10th Amendment and state's rights, so I'm of two minds on this one. If the so-called sanctuary cities are simply not cooperating with federal agencies, then no. If they're actively obstructing federal law enforcement and DHS has evidence of such, then they need to be indicted and I'm fine with a perp walk in cuffs to a federal detention facility.

I'm also fine with the Trump Administration withholding federal funding earmarked specifically for state and local safety and law enforcement, and redirecting that funding to beefed up the federal LE presence and detention capabilities in sanctuary cities. Doing so would fall under suggestive rather than coercive activity by the Trump Administration. I would not be OK with the Trump Administration withholding larger state funding intended for other areas. That would be coercive IMO.

So while I'd love to see places like Cali and Austin, TX get the hammer, it needs to be proportional to the issue. You can't say you support states rights if you apply double standards depending on what the issue is.

Doc Safari
01-17-18, 11:44
Whether or not anyone is actually prosecuted is almost beside the point. Forcing these "rebels" to spend time and money defending themselves in court might result in compliance with the law regardless of any actual "conviction" or resulting court order.

It's also true that some of the mavericks would ride this to the top of the liberal cred food chain, but the uglier this becomes the more the American people will become angry at the people who coddle illegals. Add to that the continuing stream of illegal alien crimes being reported, and people who support sanctuary cities will end up regretting their stance.

austinN4
01-17-18, 12:31
Whether or not anyone is actually prosecuted is almost beside the point. Forcing these "rebels" to spend time and money defending themselves in court might result in compliance with the law regardless of any actual "conviction" or resulting court order.
Wouldn't they just spend their city's money doing so? Although, that might not be a bad thing.

Honu
01-17-18, 17:02
but liberals want guys like this to bring more to the communities

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2018/01/17/video-illegal-alien-accused-murdering-two-cops-tells-courtroom-wish-killed-motherfers/

they should have a public outhouse with the prison cell being the pit and put people like this in it !
handcuffed to a chair in the middle so they cant harm themselves and have a fluids IV so they can last at least a few weeks

Bubba FAL
01-17-18, 21:37

In my opinion, this is a non-sequitur or straw man argument. We're talking about an issue where the Fed is completely within it's Constitutional purview (immigration and border security) vs. an issue that is clearly contra-Constitutional (infringement of a right recognized in the 2nd Amendment). There is no paradox here and to try to equate the two is obfuscation.

ramairthree
01-18-18, 00:09

Good question.
Sanctuary Cities are an example of a government body using the resources of its citizens, in some cases resources from a higher level of government, to take care of non citizens.

I have a different opinion on that than I do one level of government ensuring the constitutional rights of a citizen are protected from another level of government.

Dienekes
01-18-18, 00:09
In my opinion, this is a non-sequitur or straw man argument. We're talking about an issue where the Fed is completely within it's Constitutional purview (immigration and border security) vs. an issue that is clearly contra-Constitutional (infringement of a right recognized in the 2nd Amendment). There is no paradox here and to try to equate the two is obfuscation.

Well put. Also natural law (aka common sense) indicates that a passably civilized nation has a certain right to safeguard itself, similarly to a householder's right to control who does and does not come into his house and what they are allowed to do there. The 2A merely ratifies a natural law based right to defend oneself. Apparently politicians and legislators are unable or unwilling to grasp this.

Diamondback
01-18-18, 05:58
When they start charging, I'd like to nominate Ambulance Chaser Inslee and Turd Ferguson of Washington, and Bloody Brownstain of Oregon, to be the first three examples to be made... start at the Upper Left Coast, sweep down it and spread out from there.

Personally, I'd like to see the WA/OR/CA Democrat parties on the wrong side of a RICO investigation, but... I'll take whatever tools for ending the careers of ambitious schmucks I can get.

NYH1
01-18-18, 17:40

Hard to argue with most of this. Hell it would solve 99% of the issues I have with immigration. I don't care about DACA people or the guy who was brought here at 10 and is now 40 and is living a good life. I care about the scum who came here illegally and are committing crimes and harming our country.
What these guys said.

NYH1.

Diamondback
01-18-18, 18:04
What these guys said.

NYH1.

Ditto. Crims get a free pass to stay as long as they please after borderjumping, and for doing it the right way the girlfriend only gets to stay for brief vacations despite having us willing to take full care of her costs of living... *rolls eyes*

Dienekes
01-18-18, 18:36
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article195434409.html

Sounds like they intend to fire on Fort Sumpter anytime now. New Kurt Schlichter novel come to life.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-18-18, 19:17
To me, the break point would be when the state of CA charges business owners with aiding ICE in raids. Ignoring ICE requests and being passive is one thing. Actively going after people for assisting the feds in legal actions- that is another level. That I think the FEDS should come down HARD on them then.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-18-18, 19:21
http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article195434409.html

Sounds like they intend to fire on Fort Sumpter anytime now. New Kurt Schlichter novel come to life.

How did that end up for them?

Whiskey_Bravo
01-19-18, 08:04
To me, the break point would be when the state of CA charges business owners with aiding ICE in raids. Ignoring ICE requests and being passive is one thing. Actively going after people for assisting the feds in legal actions- that is another level. That I think the FEDS should come down HARD on them then.

This. And by hard I mean a ton of bricks.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-19-18, 08:40
This. And by hard I mean a ton of bricks.

Funny how they are all after Trump for obstruction of justice when it comes to 'illegal' foreigners... It's like their projection of issues doesn't have a filter or a check to it....

Honu
01-19-18, 17:31
just cut every single tiny bit of fed funding to the state

see how long that lasts

Dist. Expert 26
01-19-18, 17:45
I'm amazed that these people are actually threatening to prosecute people for following federal laws. I mean, how is that even a thing? Do they actually think such cases would hold up in court?

And unless I'm mistaken, immigration is very clearly a federal issue, so they have no leg to stand on. Like at all.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-19-18, 17:49
I'm amazed that these people are actually threatening to prosecute people for following federal laws. I mean, how is that even a thing? Do they actually think such cases would hold up in court?

And unless I'm mistaken, immigration is very clearly a federal issue, so they have no leg to stand on. Like at all.

Viable strategy when you own the courts too....

Dist. Expert 26
01-19-18, 17:56
Viable strategy when you own the courts too....

They own the courts in California. Any case that goes that far will undoubtedly leave the state, at which point reality kicks in.

Doc Safari
01-24-18, 13:21
And so it begins....

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-01-24/doj-demands-sanctuary-cities-turn-over-law-enforcement-documents

The Trump administration's battle with so-called sanctuary cities escalated Wednesday when the Department of Justice, under the guidance of Attorney General Jeff Sessions, asked for records from 20 cities and countries, including the country's three largest, as well as California, Illinois and Oregon.

The documents would reveal whether law enforcement agencies in these jurisdictions are illegally withholding information from US immigration authorities in violation of federal law, Reuters reported. Most sanctuary cities have passed local laws meant to stop municipal law enforcement from sharing an arrestee's immigration status with ICE.

“If these jurisdictions fail to respond to our request, fail to respond completely or fail to respond in a timely manner, we will exercise our lawful authorities and issue subpoenas for the information,” said a senior Justice Department official, briefing reporters on condition of anonymity.

My take: Badges? Badges? We don't have to show you any STINKING badges. (Cheap shot, I know, but I'm starting to love this).

Diamondback
01-24-18, 13:31
They own the courts in California. Any case that goes that far will undoubtedly leave the state, at which point reality kicks in.

Not until it gets past the Nutty Ninth Circus... :(

Dist. Expert 26
01-24-18, 14:12
Not until it gets past the Nutty Ninth Circus... :(

I think even they would struggle to justify openly defying the federal government in a blatantly illegal manner.

Pilot1
01-24-18, 14:18
This is not a state's right issue. When states became states, they agreed to the Constitution, and also to abide by Federal Law. Immigration is a Federal issue, and controlled by Federal law.

ABNAK
01-24-18, 14:22

Let me answer your question with a question: would a libtard administration who passed said asinine gun control laws have waited this long before sending in the stormtroopers? I think not.

Point being stuff "our" side wants is verboten, racist, hateful. Stuff "they" want is just the opposite......justified, saving lives, etc.

I'll also say illegal aliens are just that. There is no debate about the fact that they aren't here legally. Any future gun control would no doubt be surrounded in controversy and in violation of the 2nd Amendment. There is no Constitutional amendment protecting illegal aliens.