PDA

View Full Version : New here, looking for barrel identifcation

Glockster35
10-26-06, 11:39
I have included a picture of a barrel I have sitting around, and was wondering if any of you can identify for me, what it is. When I purchased it I believed it was a M4 profile barrel, but now, after getting ready to put my carbine upper together, I am just not totally sure what I have here. I bought an older carrying handle (no brass deflector or forward assist) upper with this particular barrel attached. I also have another barrel eactly like this one that was still int eh factory wrap! I bought these barrels about 5 years ago at a gun show in California.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7417/barrel2eo5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

The barrel measures 14.5 inches long, and has the following stamped on the top, just forward of the FSB:

C MP
5.56 NATO 1/7

I initially was thinking this barrel was off an older style Commando or AF GUU-5P style carbine, but lately I am thinking I might have a genuine M4 profile barrel.

I know little about the M4 platform, but would like my carbine upper to be as correct as possible. If you can identify these barrels, what are they worth today? I may offer one of them up for sale on the forum, so I can afford a true M4 profiled barrel.

Thanks for your time

Glockster35

Robb Jensen
10-26-06, 11:42
It's a genuine Colt M4 barrel.

Glockster35
10-26-06, 11:52
Wow, that was quick, now is a Colt original barrel good quality (I am sure the answer here is yes), and what do you suppose I can get for a slightly used one?

M4arc
10-26-06, 11:59
That is a real-deal Colt M4 barrel.

You could probably get $350 for the gently used one and $400 for the new in wrap one!

Submariner
10-26-06, 13:58
What are the markings on the A1 upper?

Glockster35
10-26-06, 14:19
Not so sure it is an A1 upper, it has no brass defelctor or forward assist, so that leads me to believe it is an original Colt upper from around 1970 or so.

It is pictured above.

On the right side there are the following markings:

A square with what appears to be a "C" inside it running vertically ahead of the dust cover.

A square with what appears to be a "VP" inside it a little higher than the above mentioned "C", also running vertically.

I would post pictures, but I have not figured out how to get my digital camera to do a close shot like that.

Glockster35
10-26-06, 14:24
It appears to be vintage 1963-1967 era M-16 or Ar-15, similar to this one

http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers/military_a1_ejectionportopen.jpg

With the markings just above and right of the dust cover as depicted in this picture!

M4arc
10-26-06, 16:28
That's an original Colt A1 upper as well! Good stuff :)

Glockster35
10-26-06, 18:06
Excellent, I had originally hoped to build up three uppers for my rifle, one an A2, an M4, and an old school M16 (pre A1).

I have several barrels on hand now, and I think one of them is a 20 inch A1 barrel. So that upper is all but complete. All I need now is a set of triangle handguards and the gas tube. Those should be easy to find.

I bought all I could get my hands on while I was stationed in California, seems there wasn't much of a market for AR parts there at the time (they had just been outlawed).

Problem is that it was almost 5 years ago, and I have forgotten what most of it is.

You guys are full of good news!:D

deadwood83
10-26-06, 18:15
Wow. What did you pay for them? If you payed less than the $350... unless of course you want all original for legacy purposes.

Glockster35
10-26-06, 19:03
I don't recall exact pricing on any of them, however, I know I have less than $1000 in the four barrels and the complete A2 upper/barrel.

All told, my rifle will be a very cheap investment, when you consider what I have gathered and what I payed for it.

I might even sell some of the stuff I have, just so I can finish this thing off the way I want to. I want to LaRue it out, like all you guys do!

I bought all this stuff back then, knowing I wouldn't have the cash flow now to build the rifle the way I anticipated.

I am off to a damn good start though!