PDA

View Full Version : Thefts from FFL's Increasing

Doc Safari
01-19-18, 09:19
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-19/gun-theft-is-sweeping-america

Firearm theft from licensed retailers including gun stores is becoming increasingly common, according to data released by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives this week.

The number of robberies of federal firearms licensees reported to the ATF have increased 227 percent since 2013 and burglaries of such gun purveyors are up 71 percent over that same period.

To make matters worse, the quantity of firearms stolen has increased as thefts become more frequent. In 2013, 3,355 firearms were taken in burglaries, compared with 7,841 in 2017, with a steady increase each year. The trend is slightly different for robberies, which tend to leave perpetrators less time to gather up guns: that number increased from 96 in 2013 to 370 in 2016, but fell to 288 last year.

My take: Why do I get the feeling this will be used as an excuse for more regulations?

Dist. Expert 26
01-19-18, 09:21
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-19/gun-theft-is-sweeping-america

My take: Why do I get the feeling this will be used as an excuse for more regulations?

Maybe you read too many emails from the NRA?

platoonDaddy
01-19-18, 09:34
We had two break-ins at local FFL's over the last couple months.

Latest one on the 7th of Jan, neted 13 firearms:

The burglars broke into a gun store called the Hanover Armory, at 1327 Ashton Road near BWI Airport, at about 6:19 a.m. on Jan. 7 and stole firearms that include rifles and handguns, according to a news release.

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/help-find-4-burglars-steal-13-firearms-from-hanover-armory-10k-reward

Diamondback
01-19-18, 13:07
It's been an epidemic here around Puget Sound of late too... I suspect as a pretext, right along with Doc Glockster.

VARIABLE9
01-19-18, 13:09
What better way to get guns to your fast and furious buyers, AND spur fear and law changes at the same time!

WickedWillis
01-19-18, 13:30
It's been an epidemic here around Puget Sound of late too... I suspect as a pretext, right along with Doc Glockster.

Yeah I used to love the Puget sound area growing up, every time I head over there now I despise it. The Californians that have polluted that area have taken over every facet it seems. Sucks.

What better way to get guns to your fast and furious buyers, AND spur fear and law changes at the same time!

I can definitely see that happening. Too many "conveniences" as of late especially in Washington state.

kwelz
01-19-18, 19:52
Local shop had a P90 stolen. They would leave class 3 stuff like that out on display during the day and someone walked in, grabbed the gun, and walked out without anyone noticing.

ATF is not amused.

tb-av
01-19-18, 20:15
Any feedback on if these stores are old school or sort of "new to the neighborhood"?

A store opened near me, and the very first thing I thought was... this store is going to get robbed. Sure enough... took about a year.

Tactical store in combo social spectrum area that favors mid leaning to upper and Red transitioning Purple.

Jsp10477
01-19-18, 21:19
The local shop/indoor range I frequent was recently hit. Outside cctv cameras were damaged, perp broke in, tried to kick open a glass display full of glocks but failed, picked up a scar 17 and a Remington 700 sitting on the counter and out the door in less than 30 seconds. The back wall was loaded down with full auto rental guns. There were a lot of AR10’s & 15’s in the store. None of those were touched. I bet it was a local meth head. They still haven’t made an arrest or recovered either of the rifles.

Firefly
01-19-18, 21:44
Local shop had a P90 stolen. They would leave class 3 stuff like that out on display during the day and someone walked in, grabbed the gun, and walked out without anyone noticing.

ATF is not amused.

I'm sure once the guy realizes it sucks he will bring it back.

Kain
01-19-18, 21:48
I'm sure once the guy realizes it sucks he will bring it back.

Indeed. I am sure that the man simply misunderstood the meaning of a Dealer Sample. :p

Alex V
01-19-18, 22:10
11 guns were stolen from one of the premier stores/ranger in North Jersey just the other day. Not sure how it was only 11 since their shelves/display cases are packed. They are the only ones around who carry Wilson Combat, Cabbot and Nighthawk 1911s. They have both the Hudson H9 and the M9A3 I want but they are asking way too much. Maybe that's why they got robbed, prices are too high to pay lol.

TAZ
01-19-18, 22:54
There seem to be more stores being hit. At the same time I notice many stores leaving inventory on the shelves over night and relying purely on their exterior doors. It’s a pain in the ass to secure stuff EVERY night, but those class and bars won’t stop a truck driving through. There should be a way the displays can be hardened better.

SteyrAUG
01-20-18, 01:16
I remember years ago a pickup truck full of miscreants tried a smash and grab on a gun shop where the owner lived next door. He responded to the alarm with a MP5 and put an end to that caper.

So much for criminals getting "guns on the streets"...they steal shit just like they steal everything else.

mark5pt56
01-20-18, 06:22
This nothing new in regards to theft from stores. What's important it layered security to buy time as that's the best defense. Normal MO is a stolen car, usually truck, ramming the front and smashing and grabbing from cases. SO, pillar's in front and security cages or safes for the guns. Redundant alarm systems and reinforced walls, CEILINGS, etc. normally gives time to have a good response. Vigilant employee's help in regards to casing efforts, external video, etc.

GH41
01-20-18, 07:37
This nothing new in regards to theft from stores. What's important it layered security to buy time as that's the best defense. Normal MO is a stolen car, usually truck, ramming the front and smashing and grabbing from cases. SO, pillar's in front and security cages or safes for the guns. Redundant alarm systems and reinforced walls, CEILINGS, etc. normally gives time to have a good response. Vigilant employee's help in regards to casing efforts, external video, etc.

Sounds familiar. Local to ma a couple of years ago >>> http://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article13953983.html

SeriousStudent
01-20-18, 19:04
I remember years ago a pickup truck full of miscreants tried a smash and grab on a gun shop where the owner lived next door. He responded to the alarm with a MP5 and put an end to that caper.

So much for criminals getting "guns on the streets"...they steal shit just like they steal everything else.

I can just hear the owner as he explains to the police:

"And right in the middle of Matlock, dammit! Matlock!!"

agr1279
01-20-18, 19:40

I believe that might have been Beckworths just south of Gainesville, Fl. He rolled out the door with a M-16 on full and shot sever of them and at least one was killed.

Dan

WillBrink
01-20-18, 21:31
We had two break-ins at local FFL's over the last couple months.

FFL's may need to harden up their security, as this seems to be on the increase all over.

SteyrAUG
01-20-18, 22:02
I believe that might have been Beckworths just south of Gainesville, Fl. He rolled out the door with a M-16 on full and shot sever of them and at least one was killed.

Dan

Could have sworn it was a MP5 and he zipped all of them. I remember the crime scene photos weren't pretty. None of the carpets survived.

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-20-18, 22:18
Well, that is where the guns are. Maybe pressure on straw purchases and background checks are working?

I'm having a hard time seeing how the conspiracy angle works.

AndyLate
01-20-18, 22:31
Deleted due to low knowledge base.