PDA

View Full Version : Magpul PRS GEN3

gaijin
01-19-18, 12:44
Anyone have experience with this stock?
Will it work with a carbine length buffer tube (milspec of course).

Looking for something with a cheek riser that is carbine buffer compatible- if anyone has recommendations I'd appreciate your experience.

Thanks.

Dozer
01-19-18, 16:05
The PRS GEN3 is compatible with both rifle and carbine receiver extensions.

Failure2Stop
01-19-18, 16:23
We have them, use them, and like them.
They are compatible with both collapsible and standard tubes.

gaijin
01-19-18, 17:17
Thank you.

SeriousStudent
01-20-18, 19:11
I have one on a precision recce build. I love it.

nksmfamjp
01-21-18, 06:14
I have on. Great stock. A little long, especially in winter gear.

Pappabear
01-25-18, 17:44
I have one on my LMT MWS, you can look at LUTH AR for another option. Pretty decent.

gaijin
01-25-18, 18:02
I’ll look into the LuthAR PB.

Got the Magpul on a gun and it’s LOP is damned long.
I’m 6’1” and could use 3/4” shorter.
I grew up shooting “nose on the CH”- or close to it.

andy t
03-10-18, 20:14
I may be the odd man out, but I returned mine because I felt it to be too long at the shortest setting. I prefer ACS or UBR. Another alternative, which I didn't try that uses carbine RE is LMT DMR stock.

morpheus6d9
03-13-18, 07:58
I got one for my AR10 build , awesome stock i was kind of skeptical b/c of the price but once i installed it I'm glad i paid the extra amount

coachjenorris
07-05-19, 22:25
Will be looking to put one of these on my next build, .308.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

opngrnd
07-07-19, 22:34
I just installed one and I like it. It's definitely on the long side, but I've never been a "nose to the charging handle type".

maximus83
07-08-19, 11:01
If researching options, check out the MDT Skeleton buttstock (https://mdttac.com/us_en/mdt-skeleton-rifle-stock.html). Designed for precision AR and attachment to the MDT chassis for bolt actions; comes in different configurations and weights, some of those enable shorter LOP. I'm looking to use one as part of a folding chassis for a bolt gun.

Eurodriver
07-09-19, 12:18
I just installed one and I like it. It's definitely on the long side, but I've never been a "nose to the charging handle type".

For precision rifle shooting you shouldn’t be.

Ideally you should have a 90° bend in your elbow. Pick the rifle up with one arm and make a 90° bend. See if the stock touches the crease of your elbow.

chuckman
07-09-19, 14:48
Great for static shooting, heavy for shooting on the run. With rifle buffer you'll be like "what recoil?"

opngrnd
07-09-19, 16:21

Ideally you should have a 90° bend in your elbow. Pick the rifle up with one arm and make a 90° bend. See if the stock touches the crease of your elbow.

I'll give that a try. I shot the rifle with the PRS stock out to 800yards last night, and I found the stock very appreciable.

Eurodriver
07-09-19, 16:21
Great for static shooting, heavy for shooting on the run. With rifle buffer you'll be like "what recoil?"

Why would anyone get a PRS for shooting on the run though?

opngrnd
07-09-19, 16:41

Hopefully so they can do this with it:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3080262731998937&id=129903407034899

Muzzle awareness and functioning optics are overrated, I guess. :blink::blink:

chuckman
07-09-19, 18:07

It all depends on what you want, right? If all you are going to do is sit on the ground and throw bullets at paper or steel, it's fine. In fact, it might be the best.

If you have an 18 inch or 20 inch precision AR that you want to use in a run and gun type of competition there's a better choice. Unless of course use that rifle for precision shooting as well then you just need to put up with it.

Like I said with a rifle buffer there's practically no recoil, and on an 18in 5.56 AR with match ammo I can hit steel at 700 yards all day long. But then it's just a precision AR, and not a 3-gun or SPR-type gun.

Edited to add, I might want something that can do both. Not sure yet. Also my statements about the lack of recoil also holds true with 6.5 and 224 Val.

chuckman
07-09-19, 18:08
Hopefully so they can do this with it:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3080262731998937&id=129903407034899

Muzzle awareness and functioning optics are overrated, I guess. :blink::blink:

Holy cow....

Pappabear
07-09-19, 19:34
For precision shooting, its my goto. I bought one of the RPR rifles and tossed a PRS on it, much better. I just attempted to put it on my Bergara but was not successful first run. Mark is going to try and unfk it.

I love the PRS stocks. No running and gunning or even stripping down poles.

PB

Snipe315
07-09-19, 21:18
I may be the odd man out, but I returned mine because I felt it to be too long at the shortest setting. I prefer ACS or UBR. Another alternative, which I didn't try that uses carbine RE is LMT DMR stock.

No, you are not the only one.

I love the fact that the PRS Gen 3 can use either a rifle or carbine receiver extension. But I hate how long it is, even in it's shortest configuration.

opngrnd
07-10-19, 17:32

It just fits inside the bend of my arm.

andy t
07-10-19, 19:46
Update: I purchased LMT DMR stock sometime ago. It's much better than PRS. It's easier to install - it literally slides on like any other stock. The only negative (subjective) is that it is somewhat loose on VLTOR RE. I can feel some wiggle. Otherwise, it's lighter and can be made shorter than PRS.

ptm76
07-21-19, 21:41
I have been using the PRS gen 3 with the carbine extension with good results, and I got it for a steal a while ago. I think I paid 129 bucks plus shipping for it. I forgot where I got it, but it was a blow-out sale.

I didn't even know about the LMT stock, but it looks similar.

Comes with everything, so I might give it a shot the next time I put a rifle together.