PDA

View Full Version : Why not a modernized Hi-Power...???

TED
01-20-18, 04:12
Why Lord, why can't someone make a revised hi-power with an Aluminum, Titanium, or Polymer frame, optional rail, and using Beretta 92 series mags?

Please Lord, I've been very good for some time now.

Thank you.

TED

Coal Dragger
01-20-18, 04:16
The Wilson Combat EDC X9 is pretty close to what you seek.

Pilot1
01-20-18, 05:22
Why? Just buy a current version. They are available used, and new all over. Plus there are other guns that are as good, or better for the money. Check out the CZ line. I love my BHP in its original, all steel configuration. If you change it, then it isn't a Hi Power anymore. How about an all steel, hammer fired Glock?

ralph
01-20-18, 07:54
I'll add to this as well, you forget what tooling costs would be to go with a material like titanium, The High Power ia already an expensive pistol to make, and probably one of the reasons production has stopped, that and sales probably haven't been that good for years. Now figure that cheaper, polymer framed pistols like Glock, HK VP9, etc, do the same job just as well, if not better, and they're lighter, easier to work on, and cost considerably less. Like it or not the world moves on, The High Power is from a different era, and it's time has come. On the bright side, there's still plenty of them around as well as some fine 'smiths who still do steallar work on them the only limiting factor is how much money do you want to spend. Or you could check out a CZ75 SA, that would probably be very close to a High Power for less money. And, they use15 rnd mags.

gaijin
01-20-18, 08:28
Buying a preemo, older P-35 and kitting it to your specs is a hell of a lot a cheaper than the Wilson (which is a good gun)- and it's still a P-35.

https://i.imgur.com/m13Ks7a.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/rv0zMMS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RAxl9ci.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BAsTufN.jpg

Firefly
01-20-18, 08:30
They did, kinda, its called a CZ-75.

In the day some folks tapped and mounted WMLs onto Mk. IIIs.

Why would Beretta mags make it "better"? Mec-Gar makes 15 round flush fit mags all day.

Nobody "modernizes" Hi Powers for the same reason nobody modernizes M1 Carbines; It's kinda pointless.

jackblack73
01-20-18, 08:31
Not a Hi-Power, but next up on my wishlist is a Sig Legion 226 SAO. Very similar feature set to what you’re asking for.

Arik
01-20-18, 08:52
I think you'll see pitchforks and torches if they made a polymer HiPower

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

01-20-18, 09:10
If you are looking for a single action, 5” barreled, aluminum framed pistol with frame mounted safety, that accepts Beretta mags, I think you can get AGW to set up a 92 like that, or close. I bet you’d have to sell both kidneys, though.

JasonB1
01-20-18, 09:24
I think you'll see pitchforks and torches if they made a polymer HiPower

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Polymer%20Frame.htm

So they finally stopped. Been hearing production has stopped since the early to mid 1990's from someone selling a used one for more than new.

C4IGrant
01-20-18, 09:40
The Wilson Combat EDC X9 is pretty close to what you seek.

Agree.

C4

Coal Dragger
01-20-18, 11:14
Can you get me a deal on one Grant?

C4IGrant
01-20-18, 11:19
Can you get me a deal on one Grant?

Yes. Master Distributor for WC. Note, they are on back order for months. Very popular.

C4

Firefly
01-20-18, 11:23
FWIW according to Brownings own website; the Hi Power is now out of production and discontinued.

I wanted one bad at one point but it just isn't compatible with my larger longer hand

ETA Its weird, I can shoot smaller guns with a tang no problem, but the HP and I just don't, as they say, gee-haw

Coal Dragger
01-20-18, 11:31
Yes. Master Distributor for WC. Note, they are on back order for months. Very popular.

C4

Yeah doesn’t surprise me. I could see ditching just about all my other pistols save a few I really like, and just getting an EDC X9 with a rail to be “the gun” for pretty much all my carry and probably 95% of my handgun shooting.

C4IGrant
01-20-18, 11:52
Yeah doesn’t surprise me. I could see ditching just about all my other pistols save a few I really like, and just getting an EDC X9 with a rail to be “the gun” for pretty much all my carry and probably 95% of my handgun shooting.

Send us an e-mail and we will get your prices.

C4

Coal Dragger
01-20-18, 12:01
I may do that, have to figure some things out with what will go and what will stay. See if it’s feasible. Good to know you’re a WC dealer.

Arik
01-20-18, 12:59
FWIW according to Brownings own website; the Hi Power is now out of production and discontinued.

I wanted one bad at one point but it just isn't compatible with my larger longer hand

ETA Its weird, I can shoot smaller guns with a tang no problem, but the HP and I just don't, as they say, gee-hawFunny you mention that.i have the same problem. Grip seems ok, a little on the thin side. If I really concentrate on each shot I can get pretty good groupings. Otherwise it's like buckshot at 50 yards

Firefly
01-20-18, 14:03
Funny you mention that.i have the same problem. Grip seems ok, a little on the thin side. If I really concentrate on each shot I can get pretty good groupings. Otherwise it's like buckshot at 50 yards

Yep.

And if it has a spur handle, fuggedaboutit.

We can toss up all the WWII British paratrooper, Vietnam LRRP, African Bush War, and 80s SWAT pics all day but me and HPs dont mix.
Which is sad as they are pretty as can be.

Arik
01-20-18, 14:13
Yep.

And if it has a spur handle, fuggedaboutit.

We can toss up all the WWII British paratrooper, Vietnam LRRP, African Bush War, and 80s SWAT pics all day but me and HPs dont mix.
Which is sad as they are pretty as can be.Spur hammers don't bother me

I have a surplus Israeli FN HiPower MKII for all the reasons you just listed. If I didn't already have one I wouldn't be getting one now.

Not my picture but it looks exactly like thishttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180120/f177463bbe282e6ddf0a393e97de2969.jpg

yoni
01-20-18, 18:30
It is called P09 by CZ.

I love my Hi Powers carried one in harms way for years, own 3 of them. 2 of which are high end custom pistols.

Having said all that, my Cajun P07 is now my go to pistol. Just as accurate as the hand fitted custom barrel with a slide and frame lock up that sounds like a bank vault closing.

Besides my P07 can wear a RMR and has a single action pull that a Hi Power can never dream of having.

czgunner
01-20-18, 20:12
I haven’t found a striker or DA/SA that has the single action trigger “feel”. I’d like to try a sao CZ, but haven’t found one yet. As far as how the pistol feels in the hand, I think there are many modern designs that are very ergonomic and feel great. Having small hands, though, the Hi Power just shoots like it was designed for me.

lazarus long
01-20-18, 20:44
Why Lord, why can't someone make a revised hi-power with an Aluminum, Titanium, or Polymer frame, optional rail, and using Beretta 92 series mags?

Thank you.

TED

I've never seen a Hi-Power with all of the features you want, but Bill Laughridge at Cylinder and Slide has produced some aluminum framed custom Hi-Powers in the past. I'm sure they weren't cheap.

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/3784

From time-to-time I've seen aluminum frame Hi-Powers show up on AIM Surplus, imported police or military trade-ins I think. I used to see finished ones on the C&S site, but you'd need to check with them to see if they are still doing that work.

In any case, the Wilson EDC X9 would probably be the better pistol and cost less than a custom pistol from C&S. But if you simply must have a Hi-Power, well. sometimes nothing else will do. I have two 75th anniversary Hi-Powers with consecutive serial numbers for the missus and me. Love 'em.

JasonB1
01-20-18, 21:52
From everything I have read, the aluminum frame hi powers do not hold up well if shot much.

JasonB1
01-20-18, 22:09
Wonder if anyone will import the Turkish copy mentioned here?

http://highpowercollectors.proboards.com/thread/201/copies-browning-high-power

TED
01-20-18, 23:46
Wonder if anyone will import the Turkish copy mentioned here?

http://highpowercollectors.proboards.com/thread/201/copies-browning-high-power

That's cool! They should bring those in!!

Dienekes
01-22-18, 14:13
Sorry, just can't bring myself to be seen with UGLY guns. And boy, have we got ugly guns falling out of the trees. The BHP is "old", like a '57 Chevy. A new Chevy (whatever they look like--who cares--) ain't got that zing. The Barrett-Jackson platform will never be befouled by a 2018 Impala.

I do own one Glock, but if I must carry it I keep it carefully concealed at all times. The BHP may be "obsolete" in some ways, but in addition to looking good it works good.

Currently reading the book "First In" about the CIA's team going into Afghanistan after 9/11. They took in AKs and BHPs. No doubt part of the reason was that they were the common, unremarkable tools of conflicts everywhere. But they're still decent choices on their own merits.

I hope somebody gets with the program and markets a decent, affordable clone BHP. The Charles Daly guns weren't too bad. The big dot sights were off-putting in 2006; 12 years later I think they're too small.

Firefly
01-22-18, 15:05
BHPs aren't obsolete at all. I wish they were a bit bigger.

It's just that as time goes on it will be a polymer world. In the bigger picture handguns are losing their concept of "status".

Per BHP, one of the reasons I hear they are stopping production is that the machines are old and they aren't wanting to re-invest.

Get steel guns while you can. In 20-30 years it will be a different world completely.

If they fit my hands right, I'd get a BHP today.

glocktogo
01-22-18, 15:33
http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Polymer%20Frame.htm

So they finally stopped. Been hearing production has stopped since the early to mid 1990's from someone selling a used one for more than new.

Good Lord what an abomination!

To the OP, Chuck Warner was trying to set up to manufacture updated HP's, but last I heard, he ran out of money.

https://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=437650&d=1512879280

noonesshowmonkey
01-23-18, 03:58
BHPs aren't obsolete at all. I wish they were a bit bigger.

If they fit my hands right, I'd get a BHP today.

This. 100 times this.

They are great pistols, and you can get 15 round flush fit mags no problem. I'm not much of an antique pistola kind of guy, and my FNHP is my one serious indulgence. Wonderful pistols, especially gussied up with some C&S goodies.

But, I'd say that 'bigger' is the wrong direction. Their detective P35s were super sexy (think a P229 vs P226), and are on a short list of must-haves when I eventually come into money or marry up and hitch myself to an heiress.

Big A
01-23-18, 08:10

Thank you.

TED

Well it has a polymer frame and a rail, negative on the 92 mags though.

https://fnamerica.com/products/pistols/fnx-9/

https://fnamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2004/09/FNX_9_Rotators_1-1074x850.png

dwhitehorne
01-23-18, 16:13
I've owned a FNX 9 and 40. No comparison to a Hi Power. David

JasonB1
01-23-18, 19:46

I hope somebody gets with the program and markets a decent, affordable clone BHP. The Charles Daly guns weren't too bad. The big dot sights were off-putting in 2006; 12 years later I think they're too small.

The Daly's were made by FEG. No idea why they all have the extra meat on the backstrap and not sure if they made the FN counterfeit guns that way.

The copy made in Turkey that Canada imports looks promising.

Dienekes
01-24-18, 23:56
Did some looking online for the Turkish BHP (Tisas Zig 14). Apparently they are available in Canada; their version, appropriately enough, is called the "Canuck" and billboarded as such on the slide. Sort of a successor to the Inglis guns? Anyway, it looks decent and affordable as a spare shooter. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be coming into the US.

I would probably jump on one in preference to the battered Israeli ones that Cabelas has had at nosebleed prices.

Gary1911A1
01-26-18, 13:33
Did some looking online for the Turkish BHP (Tisas Zig 14). Apparently they are available in Canada; their version, appropriately enough, is called the "Canuck" and billboarded as such on the slide. Sort of a successor to the Inglis guns? Anyway, it looks decent and affordable as a spare shooter. Unfortunately, they don't seem to be coming into the US.

I would probably jump on one in preference to the battered Israeli ones that Cabelas has had at nosebleed prices.
They are available here in the USA now. A member on the 1911 Forum recently purchased one and posted on it there. Here's a link to the importer:
http://www.lkcillc.com/products/9mm/

glocktogo
01-26-18, 15:57
They are available here in the USA now. A member on the 1911 Forum recently purchased one and posted on it there. Here's a link to the importer:

That SS model has my attention!

1986s4
01-27-18, 10:20
A modernized BHP to me would have a better grip tang/beavertail, more direct trigger linkage, no trigger disconnect and a more robust build capable of enduring +p ammo. In fact it exists as the CZ 75 SAO, not as narrow or svelte as the BHP but close. A CZ 75 compact converted to SAO would be very shootable. There are poly versions in the form of the P09.

Dienekes
01-28-18, 02:43

LKCI LLC, 5772 Bear Hollow Rd. SE, Newark, OH 43055; 740-763-0027. OTD price is apparently $454.55. Calling them is #1 on my to do list Monday morning.

Website does not work well.

Update 1/29/18. Called LKCI; the ceracoted (blue) models are OTD as above. They claim that they will have stainless models in stock in February @ $510.

yoni
01-28-18, 05:32
In 2 weeks I will be selling my Novak and my C&S custom Hi Powers.

Why you ask?

Because the CZ P09/07 is just that good.

Pilot1
01-28-18, 08:43
In 2 weeks I will be selling my Novak and my C&S custom Hi Powers.

Why you ask?

Because the CZ P09/07 is just that good.

I love my factory Silver Chrome Browning Hi Power which I bough new in 1994. However, when I discovered the CZ-75, and its variants, I never looked back. I am not a polymer guy so I own many of their steel, and alloy framed pistols.

Sam
02-05-18, 20:40
It is called P09 by CZ.

I love my Hi Powers carried one in harms way for years, own 3 of them. 2 of which are high end custom pistols.

Having said all that, my Cajun P07 is now my go to pistol. Just as accurate as the hand fitted custom barrel with a slide and frame lock up that sounds like a bank vault closing.

Besides my P07 can wear a RMR and has a single action pull that a Hi Power can never dream of having.

What holsters do you use for your P07 and P09? especially if you use OWB holsters. I'm using both IWB and OWB, but I'm not completely happy with the OWB. Looking for other options. Must be concealable, no duty or tactical or open carry rig.

Dienekes
02-05-18, 23:09
Just sent the FFL hard copy off to purchase one of the cerakoted Turkish High Powers from LKCI. Did some research on the Tisas firm; they are going gangbusters, CNC everything. I have looked over their 1911s and always been impressed. No reason the HP wouldn't be as good.

Don't "need" another HP but this looks pretty nice for the price point. I have a spare set of Spegels for it. The mag disconnect has to go, and a C&S safety is a must.

yoni
02-06-18, 03:55
I carry IWB and use a HTC CZ Spektre. I am looking for a good IWB that will allow carry with TLR1.

LDB
02-07-18, 05:15
Shoot, just go back to making the already basically perfect as it is pistol.

1986s4
02-07-18, 08:22
IMO if we change everything we dislike about the BHP it is something else, not a BHP. Not robust enough? Reinforce it but that will make it heavier. Trigger linkage is very indirect but would require an extensive redesign of the entire pistol. Lighter? Sure but it would be more delicate than it already is. My opinion is that the BHP is what it is, it works in it's own fashion and if one likes it then drive on. I like them and I've owned a few but like Glocks I just didn't like them enough.
I have a CZ75 converted to SAO operation. It is robust and has an awesome trigger, it doesn't bite either. It is nearly everything I like about the BHP but corrected. And, it's about half the price..

LDB
02-07-18, 08:45
Well, I know it's my eye and I'm beholding but a BHP is about the finest looking gun in existence, especially when treated to a few visually upgraded parts like Craig Spegel grips etc..

1986s4
02-07-18, 14:59
^^
Agree!

jsbhike
02-07-18, 16:20
The .40 with a 9mm conversion barrel was supposed to be able to handle large volume hot loads.

There may have been metallurgical/production advances that would have kept the size and allowed more shooting, but that would have increased the cost on an already expensive pistol which was using a cast frame that was stronger and a cost cutting measure at the same time.

flenna
02-07-18, 17:31
Nevermind....

misfit47
02-10-18, 11:07
Convert a CZ P01 to SAO.