PDA

View Full Version : owb holster for glock 17 with SF X300ub

corey4
01-20-18, 06:59
i'm looking for an OWB gor a glock 17 with a SF x300ub.

wish list:
im guessing duty/combat type
i really don't need the thumb strap retention
adjustable retention would be nice so when i use it for uspsa i can keep it loose, and when i need it for the run n guns (climbing over walls), i can kept it tight
belt and molle attachment would be nice. are there any that are modular; i can throw a paddle attachment on, then molle when i needed
i have seen some makers offer a low and mid rise, i'm thinking i would want it to ride a bit lower

what has brought this "need" up is i am doing a run n gun match in a few weeks. one of the stages is shooting in a cave. it'd be nice to just shoot with a WML instead of just relying on a head lamp. i have shot in night comps before, but they would allow you to bag the pistol instead of a holstering.

i typed it into google, and there are a lot of choices. i go to safari lands site and wholy shit they have a lot lol. i am hoping you guys can poin me towards some choices.

i could swear comptac and bladetech had these, but i'm not finding them on their sight for some reason.

MegademiC
01-20-18, 07:32
Look at Safariland 7376, 7, 8, &9.

https://holsterops.com/products/7ts-als-concealment-holster-w-light-options-7376-7377-7378-7379

Als is fast and secure, Id go with this.

I have the 6378 and run it with a paddle.

mack7.62
01-20-18, 07:49
Is it me or do the Safariland holsters just keep getting uglier?:bad:

I love me some 6378 but that other one...

JasonB1
01-20-18, 09:43
I have a 7ts for a 19 with light that is handy and does belt and PALS attachment. Only downside is that it is barely concealable counter to its marketing.

And yes they are nasty looking compared to a lot of other holsters.

RHINOWSO
01-20-18, 10:55
Bravo concealment - no thumbreak or adjustable retention, but set retention is legit - it ain’t going anywhere.

diving dave
01-20-18, 10:59
I agree Bravo Concealment...They are my holster of choice these days.

Kain
01-20-18, 11:05
Bravo concealment - no thumbreak or adjustable retention, but set retention is legit - it ain’t going anywhere.

I have a friend who had a bravo concealment holster that we nice. But, I like many, when carrying OWB and not concealed or for duty I want retention that is more than just friction.

Personal experience has been that the Safariland ALS holsters are pretty nice. I keep looking to pick up one of the 7ts holsters for my Glocks. The only thing that has kept me away has been not having been able to get my hands on one to play with, and not knowing if, with the light, the bottom is a closed bottom or open bottom.

JasonB1
01-20-18, 12:04

Personal experience has been that the Safariland ALS holsters are pretty nice. I keep looking to pick up one of the 7ts holsters for my Glocks. The only thing that has kept me away has been not having been able to get my hands on one to play with, and not knowing if, with the light, the bottom is a closed bottom or open bottom.

How about semi closed for an answer, at least in the 19 + Surefire model.

The holster is for Surefire or TLR so with a TLR it is about 1/2" longer than it has to be. The lens area of the bottom is closed over to where the curve of the dust cover and slide meet then there is a rectangular opening with filleted corners.

Up inside that there is a block insert with a tapered arbor the muzzle slides over. The arbor is maybe 1/4" diameter at maximum so it can't be a bore obstruction if it snaps off and I assume allows for making it handier to use if a light is not attached to the pistol.

No idea (yet) on how the muzzle block/arbor gadget is set up or located on other frame sizes.

It is possible to access the lens (TLR at least) with a finger if you really work at it.

L-2
01-20-18, 15:40
http://lasconcealment.com/tizona-r-s-special-intro-pricing/
Here's a newer company in the market.

Kain
01-20-18, 15:50
How about semi closed for an answer, at least in the 19 + Surefire model.

The holster is for Surefire or TLR so with a TLR it is about 1/2" longer than it has to be. The lens area of the bottom is closed over to where the curve of the dust cover and slide meet then there is a rectangular opening with filleted corners.

Up inside that there is a block insert with a tapered arbor the muzzle slides over. The arbor is maybe 1/4" diameter at maximum so it can't be a bore obstruction if it snaps off and I assume allows for making it handier to use if a light is not attached to the pistol.

No idea (yet) on how the muzzle block/arbor gadget is set up or located on other frame sizes.

It is possible to access the lens (TLR at least) with a finger if you really work at it.

Sounds similar, if slighty more open than my ALS. Semi open would prob be good enough, let some debris follow through wear my old ALS doesn't.

JasonB1
01-20-18, 17:28
Sounds similar, if slighty more open than my ALS. Semi open would prob be good enough, let some debris follow through wear my old ALS doesn't.
Didn't think to measure the hole earlier, but it is approximately 1-7/16" x 11/16" and looks like the fillets are @ 1/4" radius.

At first glance the fold over nature of construction makes it look like several nooks and crannies for crud to collect, but looking closer shows nothing is compartmented so anything that gets in should be able to get out (or be flushed out) the hole easily.

TF82
01-20-18, 18:16
Look at Safariland 7376, 7, 8, &9.

https://holsterops.com/products/7ts-als-concealment-holster-w-light-options-7376-7377-7378-7379

Als is fast and secure, Id go with this.

I have the 6378 and run it with a paddle.

Since you're not looking for a concealment holster, I would get this. If you practice with it, I don't think the ALS will slow you down at all and retention will be good to go. Safariland's holsters are tough and if it uses those three screw type attachments it should also work with their UBL belt loop like our duty holsters use. You can get those in mid and low ride.

Vandal
01-20-18, 20:54
Is it me or do the Safariland holsters just keep getting uglier?:bad:

I love me some 6378 but that other one...

The 7TS series holsters aren't pretty, but I do prefer them to my older 6xxx series holsters.

MegademiC
01-20-18, 21:42

Not sure what model you have, but the lighted model(my6378) allows the user to remove everything up front except the cross bar (maybe even that) so its completely opened.

MegademiC
01-20-18, 21:42
Doubletap.

Kain
01-20-18, 21:49
Not sure what model you have, but the lighted model(my6378) allows the user to remove everything up front except the cross bar (maybe even that) so its completely opened.

I don't want it completely open. That is the thing. And the one I am running with the X300U if I am reholstering at anything other than extremely gently the little extended cup Safariland sent will get ejected out the bottom like a rocket. Which, since I would like my lens on my light somewhat protected annoys me.

corey4
01-23-18, 08:22
thanks for the suggestions.

stupid question...

is there any reason to carry a pistol higher on the belt than lower, or vice versa? my original thought would be to have the grip at, or below the belt. but most holsters have the grip above the belt line. i understand the higher option is better for concealment, but like i said, i need more "duty/combat".

with these QD holster attachments (so i can go from paddle to molle if need be), it seems like they stick out pretty far. do they get caught on stuff, get in the way? is it better to have the pistol tucked against my body vs sticking out a bit with the QD mount?

joeg26er
01-23-18, 09:17
im interested in this too
I have a dsg I picked up on sale for $25
G17 and x300
Owb closed bottom
But loops are fixed and there's no room for ride height if you run a cant

MegademiC
01-23-18, 11:21
I like the grip at belt hight or lower. Any higher and i feel i need to lean to clear the holster. I find the paddle keeps it far enough away to allow easy access without snagging on stuff. No experience with QD systems.