PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17 vs HK VP9 Tactical as Suppressor Host....

MadAngler1
01-20-18, 12:29
I’m in the process of streamlining my gun inventory. I currently own a Glock Gen 4 17 with an ALG 6 second mount and Aimpoint T1. I really like the set up, and I intend to keep it. This summer, I purchased a HK VP9 tactical just for kicks, since it was on sale for $650 + 3 mags + 4 free mags from HK. The gun shoots well, but it really doesn’t do anything better or different than my Glock (except maybe a little bit better accuracy and trigger). Likewise, I am not a fan of the VP9’s reliaibility issues when dirt and dust is involved, although it has yet to choke on me.

Regardless, I realize things change when one attach a suppressor to any pistol. HK is known for building good pistols that run well suppressed (MK 23, HK USP tactical, etc). I own a P30, and I love how it shoots despite being DA/SA. I’ve tried it suppressed and it shoots great.

Hence, what do you folks think about the Glock 17 suppressed vs the HK VP9 tactical? If you currently run a Glock 17 Gen 4 suppressed, how do you have it set up? Barrel type and recoil spring? What is the ideal set up? The VP9 tactical is GTG to run suppressed, and all I need is sights. I wish ALG made a six second mount for the VP9.

Thanks

MegademiC
01-20-18, 13:16
My suggestion: Get a kkm or bar-sto threaded barrel for the glock.

I run a 23 converted to 9 silenced and its been good so far. Accuracy is rediculous.
“Setup” should be stock. Drop in (or fit) a threaded barrel and screw on a silencer, and your good to go.

Outlander Systems
01-20-18, 14:27
This.

My 17+6SM+Micro+SiCo Barrel+Osprey is a laser.

My suggestion: Get a kkm or bar-sto threaded barrel for the glock.

I run a 23 converted to 9 silenced and its been good so far. Accuracy is rediculous.
“Setup” should be stock. Drop in (or fit) a threaded barrel and screw on a silencer, and your good to go.

Bodhi
01-20-18, 15:59
I mean, you said it yourself that you shoot the VP9 more accurately, or it is more accurate for you.

I've personally never had an issue with dust/dirt, but then again I use mine in a non-desert setting.

Achilles11B
01-20-18, 17:08
I run a 17 (Gen 3) with a S3F barrel and an RMR. Runs like a top. I’ve had all of 3 ammo-related FTF’s after about 1,000 rounds through it with the can. Both of your choices are good ones, but if you’re saying you get better results with the VP9, maybe that’s the way to go.

MadAngler1
01-21-18, 13:24
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like I should try out both first. I am buying a Surefire Ryder modular 9 mm suppressor. Apparently, it has a piston that allows one to switch between 1/2-28 and 1-13.5 LH threads. I’ll probably keep the HK for now until I get the can, and try it out then. I am never letting go of my ALG six second mount + G17 combo. I love it.

Also, I see Surefire sells a ZEV barrel for the Ryder suppressor. Is Zev good to go compared to Bar Sto or KKM?

Bodhi
01-21-18, 15:07
Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like I should try out both first. I am buying a Surefire Ryder modular 9 mm suppressor. Apparently, it has a piston that allows one to switch between 1/2-28 and 1-13.5 LH threads. I’ll probably keep the HK for now until I get the can, and try it out then. I am never letting go of my ALG six second mount + G17 combo. I love it.

Also, I see Surefire sells a ZEV barrel for the Ryder suppressor. Is Zev good to go compared to Bar Sto or KKM?

For the 6 second mount, what holsters still work?

EDIT: Never mind, I see that there are specially made holsters that'll work for it...

Outlander Systems
01-21-18, 15:51
https://outlandersystemssite.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/masterfire-1.jpg

For the 6 second mount, what holsters still work?

EDIT: Never mind, I see that there are specially made holsters that'll work for it...

MegademiC
01-21-18, 20:32
If you already have a barrel for the HK, get a glock barrel with matching threads. Then you can swap back and forth.

MadAngler1
01-21-18, 23:45
If you already have a barrel for the HK, get a glock barrel with matching threads. Then you can swap back and forth.

True, but the Surefire Ryder has interchangeable pistons that allow this. I might as well get a 1/2-28 barrel for the glock.

MegademiC
01-22-18, 05:36
All silencers (pistol) that i know of haveninterchangeable pistons. Getting two different threads will make it so you havento 1. Buy a new piston, and 2. Take your silencer apartnand change them everybtime you want to put it on the other gun.

Do you see any downside to going with the same thread on both?
Do you see a benefit to different threads?

Edit- found a downside, difficult to find. That said bar-sto may do it, kkm can send you an unthreaded barrel and have someone local thread it. Just a thought.

MadAngler1
01-23-18, 14:57
All silencers (pistol) that i know of haveninterchangeable pistons. Getting two different threads will make it so you havento 1. Buy a new piston, and 2. Take your silencer apartnand change them everybtime you want to put it on the other gun.

Do you see any downside to going with the same thread on both?
Do you see a benefit to different threads?

Edit- found a downside, difficult to find. That said bar-sto may do it, kkm can send you an unthreaded barrel and have someone local thread it. Just a thought.

Thanks for the reply.

Surefire’s website has a video on how to diassemble the Ryder M Ti, and it seems fairly simple to change pistons and the threading. Likewise, I’m thinking about selling the HK VP9T, and I’ll hold onto it until I test it. Last, I may want to uss the Ryder on my 9 mm AR. I will need a 1/2-28 to 1/2-36 adaptor to make it work. Hence, i rather get the 1/2-28 model to make that easier.

The best solution would be to get a 2nd suppressor, but I doubt I’ll take the HK over the Glock. I really like my set up with the 6 second mount.

Thanks

MegademiC
01-23-18, 15:38
That makes sense. I found my parts kept coming loose, so i changed my modular can a few times, decided hiw i wanted to run it, cleaned it thoughly and lock-tighted (blue) the piston. You may not have that issue, but if you do, it would make changing the piston out often a PITA, but sounds like its not your intent anyways. Just be aware it can happen.