PDA

View Full Version : Did I just stumble upon a unicorn barrel?

vicious_cb
01-21-18, 01:12
Here are the specs:

16" Cold Hammer Forged Barrel 4150CrMoV HP MP 1:7 5.56 NATO
16.1",
1:7" Twist
5.56 NATO
Medium Taper Profile
4150 CrMoV HF Chrome Lined, Salt Bath Nitride Finish
Muzzle Thread: 1/2"-28 TPI
Gas Port Location: Midlength
Gas Block Size: .750"

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/collections/m4-barrels-1/products/16-cold-hammer-forged-barrel-4150crmov-1-7?variant=3083728897

Im curious if it was nitrided then chrome lined or if its nitrided after the chrome lining. If its the former I wonder what gain in barrel life(if any) there is to having a nitrided layer under the chrome. If its the latter I wonder if the nitriding process affected the chrome lining at all, if not then Im all for having the superior outside protection.

This is my first time seeing a barrel like this on the market and why didnt anyone try it sooner?

georgeib
01-21-18, 02:05
I was going to say that there is a typo in the description, but the barrel definitely looks like it has an SBN finish on the outside. I imagine if it really is chrome lined, the chrome lining would have been done after the salt bath. However, that poses its own set of difficulties with manufacturing, so...?

ggammell
01-21-18, 07:25
Reach out to SoLGW. You’ll get an answer pretty quick. They won’t hide anything.

MegademiC
01-21-18, 07:54
CrN is really hard. It could be done either way, but im not sure which would be better, or if there is any advantage at all. The base metal is the same so erosion would not be changed.

Edit: after thinking about it, the extra hardness of nitriding the base metal would likely be better and lead to slightly extended barrel life. That said, i doubt its enough to matter much.

Iraqgunz
01-21-18, 17:18
Sons of Liberty stated that it was a misprint and is not chrome lined and nitrided. The item will be turned off on the website if it hasn't already.

Sry0fcr
01-22-18, 10:01
CrN is really hard. It could be done either way, but im not sure which would be better, or if there is any advantage at all. The base metal is the same so erosion would not be changed.

Edit: after thinking about it, the extra hardness of nitriding the base metal would likely be better and lead to slightly extended barrel life. That said, i doubt its enough to matter much.

There's advantage to it, but it's an advantage that he may never realize or make it worth the additional cost. Unless OP is a bean counter for a large institution looking to buy barrels...

TomMcC
01-22-18, 10:39
Sons of Liberty stated that it was a misprint and is not chrome lined and nitrided. The item will be turned off on the website if it hasn't already.

So, which part was a misprint, the nitriding or the chrome? (website still shows both)

vicious_cb
01-22-18, 23:44

You just crushed my hopes and dreams IG :(

cop1211
01-23-18, 16:58
Is sonsof liberty considered a good to go company? Looking for a new upper and trying to find if some of the smaller makers are considered upstanding.

ggammell
01-23-18, 17:37
Is sonsof liberty considered a good to go company? Looking for a new upper and trying to find if some of the smaller makers are considered upstanding.

They seem to be saying the right things. They’ve got YouTube videos showing how they do things right. Check out thier channel. If I were looking for a new AR I’d consider them.

Hulkstr8
01-23-18, 20:12
Honestly, I would love a chrome-line CHF, nitride finish. Hell, a CHG w/ nitride finish.

vicious_cb
01-23-18, 20:54

Looks like they're doing everything right spec wise, I just don't care for nitrided barrels. Sorry but Ill only take chrome in my bore unless its a precision stainless steel barrel.

The smaller companies seem to be putting out the best value these days. Literally the only large companies Id recommend are BCM and Colt 6920s. Everyone else like Daniel Defense, Noveske ect seem to have gotten too big for their own good. When you have corporate bean counters running the show they start to cut corners to a few dollars using an inferior part or build rifles more towards the average dirt clod shooter by opening up gas ports.

pointblank4445
01-23-18, 21:17
Is sonsof liberty considered a good to go company?

So far their CS is not blowing me out of the water...

I liked what I heard about them and from them, so I thought I'd give them a shot and ordered some parts. Despite what the packing list noted, the order was incomplete. Tried calling and got constant ringing on one line; disconnected message on another listed number. Got a response via email saying they'd take care of it, but that was over 2 weeks ago, and still haven't seen those parts.

Iraqgunz
01-24-18, 04:06
It is a nitrided barrel, not chrome lined. I can only report what I was told directly by the HMFIC.

So, which part was a misprint, the nitriding or the chrome? (website still shows both)

bruin
01-24-18, 13:32
Is it just me, or does that look like a carbine length gas system? Description says midlength...

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

ABNAK
01-24-18, 14:39
Looks like they're doing everything right spec wise, I just don't care for nitrided barrels. Sorry but Ill only take chrome in my bore unless its a precision stainless steel barrel.

The smaller companies seem to be putting out the best value these days. Literally the only large companies Id recommend are BCM and Colt 6920s. Everyone else like Daniel Defense, Noveske ect seem to have gotten too big for their own good. When you have corporate bean counters running the show they start to cut corners to a few dollars using an inferior part or build rifles more towards the average dirt clod shooter by opening up gas ports.

I hear ya! Why is nitriding seem like that's what most are going to? Oh yeah, because it's cheaper. :mad:

I have a feeling chrome lining may be either a niche/boutique thing in the future or unobtainium.

Torquetard
02-02-18, 22:12

I have been looking for a medium profile barrel to finish my build and while I like nitride for many reasons, I also like the sionics CL medcon I have. But I hear you, its funny how nitride/qpq/meloniting is praised for its cost effectiveness, then seeing every decent looking barrel using the process go for just shy of $300.... makes me want to get another sionics CL for nearly half that.