PDA

View Full Version : Anybody go from G19 to G43 or similar size guns? Regret it? Glad you did?

FlyingHunter
01-21-18, 07:28
I've been carrying a G19 for a long time. Never had any issues or problems however, I'm thinking of reducing the overall size and weight of my CCW. I fully appreciate the advantages of the G19 such as capacity, reduced recoil, grip surface area etc...I have top of the line belts and holsters, so thats not the issue. It's an interesting introspective from my point of view as I'm always highly objective with decisions but some intangible is drawing me to a smaller CCW consideration.

Evel Baldgui
01-21-18, 07:35
Considered it, personally, it was insignificant as far as daily carry was concerned, so continued with my g19. Not sure who posted a comment regarding standard capacity pistols (15rds) vs pocket pistols, it was " if you're going to carry a pistol,carry a pistol".

Achilles11B
01-21-18, 07:42
Carried a G17 for a while before picking up a G43. Didn’t really like it, ended up selling it and buying a G26 instead which I really like. The G26 is my full-time carry gun while the 17 is my suppressor host. The G26 with a Magpul magazine provides both additional capacity (12 rounds) and grip length while still staying compact. It may be what you’re looking for.

Butch
01-21-18, 07:49
I did exactly that. Have carried my G19 daily for what seems like forever. Bought the G43, shot it enough to be confident with it, now carry that everyday. OWB strong side with a spare mag on the other. Much less bulky and convenient. My achy back thanks me.

Frailer
01-21-18, 08:15
I don’t know if I’d call size and weight “intangibles,” but I think I get where you’re coming from.

While I understand the appeal of the micro 9s, they just don’t work for me. My biggest problem is that their grips are too thin for me to shoot well. I have long fingers, and they don’t have enough real estate to wrap around.

If I want to “carry a pistol” I’ll carry a Glock 17. If concealment is an issue I’ll carry the smallest gun that I can shoot as well (or nearly so) as a Glock 17...which means Glock 26.

If I don’t want to carry a gun the answer is airweight J-frame.

YMMV, of course. If I were you, I’d buy a G43 and give it a try...ignoring the chorus that insists “Glock 19” is always the answer.

Quiet-Matt
01-21-18, 09:27
Me edc pistols have been either a G19 or a S&W J frame depending on dress and activity. So, the G43 wasn't too much to accept as an alternative to the J frame. Capacity was better than the J with a easier to carry and utilize reload. I shoot the thing as good as the 19, which is odd because I struggled with my old G26? I really like my 43. It shoots and carries/conceals great, and has been 100% with every type of ammo I have fed it. When I was working out of town the 43 was all I had with me and I never felt that it wasnt up to task. I primarily carry it IWB appendix with a reload on the left of my belt buckle. I'm not a big guy but I'm able to easily conceal the 43 under just a t-shirt.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180121/e4c9cb5aa270f537c7e556259f4e1989.jpg

darr3239
01-21-18, 09:39
I guess the only issue I have is with magazine capacity. I have a small 9mm which I use for pocket carry when the style of clothing dictates, but it has a 12 round magazine.

If I'm not carrying in a pocket it's a 19/23 or a P229. I'm not concerned with those as to weight or size.

MegademiC
01-21-18, 09:43
I have a shield for use on occasion. My 19 is my main carry gun, but i carry the shiled when i cant hide the 19 (fitted business casual for work or other events or NPE).

Edited to fix horrific typos.

militarymoron
01-21-18, 10:52
I have a Kahr CW9 which I pocket carry on occasion, or sometimes in a Vedder light tuck holster. I'm not a big guy either, and a G19 can print under some t-shirts on me.

carl.c
01-21-18, 12:20
I went from Glock 19 AIWB to Glock 43 AIWB with spare magazine. I'm a skinny dude, so really glad I made the change with respects to concealment. However, I'm an average pistol shooter at best, and really struggling to shoot the 43 accurately. For my purposes that means a decent hit percentage in a 4 inch bull at 25 yards. At least I'm more comfortable closer in, with skill-building to continue.

gunnerblue
01-21-18, 17:28
Not Glocks, but I carry a P2000 on duty and a Walter PPS Gen 1 off duty. No problems to report, the PPS conceals well for me even under lighter clothing and I’m happy with my choice. If my department switches to glocks I’m planning on a 17/19/34 and 43 combo.

SiGfever
01-21-18, 19:26
I did exactly that. Have carried my G19 daily for what seems like forever. Bought the G43, shot it enough to be confident with it, now carry that everyday. OWB strong side with a spare mag on the other. Much less bulky and convenient. My achy back thanks me.

Do you mind me asking which holster you chose?

Ron3
01-21-18, 20:26
Yea. Tried a few guns smaller than my G19.

G36 was lighter and the thinner grip actually made a difference in comfort. But I didn't like the short-length grip, extra recoil, and low mag capacity.

I then tried a S&W Shield .45 (because I really liked the Gen 2 design. This was before the Gen 2 9mm Shield came out) The gun was also a little short of frame but carried better with the six round mag than the seven round mag. So again, low capacity. I had intended to use lightweight bullets but in the end it preferred 230's. Wtih those it really wasn't that light anymore. (29 oz) Then it had a few malfunctions with JHP's and I was carrying FMJ in it. But also the trigger, while a joy to shoot with, was too light. It made me nervous. Just felt like a 4 lb single action trigger. That was really what made me reject it.

The Beretta Cheetah FS (yea, a circa 1976 design) is what got me to stop carrying my G19. The grip is fat but just the right length and very pleasant to the hand. The top and front of the gun is small and rounded and takes much less volume inside the waistband. The DA trigger adds safety, the SA trigger adds speed and accuracy. And it holds 12+1. It's lighter, too. I could go on but that's enough. :)

Whats funny is the belt gun I enjoyed carrying the most and replaced with a G19 for nearly 10 years was a Bulgarian Makarov 9x18 cal. The Beretta is basically the Cadillac version of the Makarov / Walther PP class of pistols. (Oh, along with the CZ82/83 I suppose :)

kenny256
01-21-18, 20:44
I did this, glock 19 was my carry then went the shield 9mm route.

After a while I realised that for me there was not that big of difference and I really wanted my capacity back.

I carry the glock 19 exclusively now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Baldness
01-22-18, 05:08
I’ve carried a lot of different pistols over the 14 years I’ve had my permit. From 1911’s to kel tec p3at but mostly glocks. I carried a gen2 g19 for a long time. Can you conceal it? Of course, but can you conceal it as comfortable as a smaller weapon especially when sitting? Not at all. I guess I should say I carry iwb. So I got a g43, it’s a great gun conceals better, easier, and more comfortably iwb than g19. I use tt mag extenders a 7rd in the gun and an 8rd reload. If you wanna go single stack I think it’s a great choice. But I got a g26 a few months ago and find I can conceal it as easily and pretty much as comfortably as the g43. I carry a 10rd in the pistol and a 15rd reload. If you want more comfort but not give up a ton of capacity you my wanna try the g26

Butch
01-22-18, 05:10
Do you mind me asking which holster you chose?

Raven for both gun and magazine.

Arik
01-22-18, 07:09
I tried but I have Frailer's problems

"My biggest problem is that their grips are too thin for me to shoot well. I have long fingers, and they don’t have enough real estate to wrap around."

I've added the Hogue rubber grip sleeve to my G43. Its better but only just and the sleeve moves around. During shooting it starts to slide off. To fix that I bought a Shield. Slightly bigger gun with a slightly bigger grip. Still sucks.... along with the trigger. The only gun that size I've felt comfortable with was the old PPS M1 using the biggest back strap. I just don't like the retarded mag bases. Otherwise, if I run into one used I may trade in the Shield.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Vandal
01-22-18, 07:28
I went from a Glock 19 for daily carry to a G43. I do use the Vickers +2 base pads on my carry mags. The gun rides in a JM Custom IWB Version 2 and the spare mag is in my off hand pocket.
When I go to work it rides on my vest as a back-up, I should probably just buy a second one.

Sry0fcr
01-22-18, 09:09
I went from G19 to M&P Compact (heh, not much change), to FS M&P (Screw it, I'm gonna print anyway...), to PPS (removing excuses not to strap up).

I don't regret it. I'm just still trying to find the right holster for the gun. Am I taking the easy way out? Yeah probably, but my lifestyle isn't high risk. An ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure and all that. I think I can get by with 7 or 8 rounds and a reload, beats 17+1 locked in the glove box.

Maybe I'm just getting old at 34 but I seem to be paring down on guns, simplifying my setups, and shedding weight recently... I just wanna shoot more and chase inconsequential minutia less.

gunnerblue
01-22-18, 10:13
I went from G19 to M&P Compact (heh, not much change), to FS M&P (Screw it, I'm gonna print anyway...), to PPS (removing excuses not to strap up).

I don't regret it. I'm just still trying to find the right holster for the gun. Am I taking the easy way out? Yeah probably, but my lifestyle isn't high risk. An ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure and all that. I think I can get by with 7 or 8 rounds and a reload, beats 17+1 locked in the glove box.

Maybe I'm just getting old at 34 but I seem to be paring down on guns, simplifying my setups, and shedding weight recently... I just wanna shoot more and chase inconsequential minutia less.

I carry my PPS IWB at about 3:30-4 o’clock in a JM Custom Kydex holster. I like JM’s products and have several. Personally we I don’t feel undergunned with eight rounds in the gun and another eight in a support-side reload.

68ar15
01-22-18, 10:28
43 is way easier to carry. It’s the weight as much as the size.

gillian_seed
01-22-18, 21:30
G26 might be a decent way to go. It’s smaller than your 19 and you can use the same 15 round magazines for a reload if you want.

I love carrying mine.

MountainRaven
01-22-18, 21:49
I've tried going to small guns like J-frames and G43s a couple of times. I keep coming back to fighting-size handguns every time, though.

lee1000
01-22-18, 22:48
I had a G22, realized it was huge for concealed carry and bought a G26 and I shoot it better than any other 9mm pistol. I carry it with a plus 2 extension and a 17 round reload for a total of 30 rounds, no small number.

For places where carry is severely discouraged I carry a PM9 or S&W Bodyguard (pocket). I've gotten to where I can shoot that Bodyguard very well and fast.

01-23-18, 03:45
With G43 sized guns, my marksmanship is rather...mediocre. They carry well enough that I keep one around, though (Kahr CW9). My Beretta 85 conceals just as well, and holds an extra round or two, albeit a .380. I shoot it a bit better. I typically carry a full size PX4 strongside IWB, and thats what I practice with the most. I’m still looking for a Goldilocks gun, which would be just slightly smaller than a G19, particularly in thickness. Double stack guns smaller than a G19 seem to offer no concealment advantage on my frame because thickness counts, too. I have a Sig 225a1 on order, so maybe it will fit the bill for “summer carry”.

Tl;dr: I don’t “regret” my G43 sized gun, its just that I would prefer larger guns most of the time.

grizzlyblake
01-23-18, 06:17
My wife has a G43 and sometimes I'll carry it as a lazy carry when we're together. It's extremely comfortable but as everyone says it's much harder to shoot as fast and accurate as the G19. I still consider it a 10yd and in gun, but I know other folks train further.

Normally I carry a G19 AIWB (5'6", 150lb). I had a G26 for years but the G19 allows such a better grip for drawing quickly and shooting one handed that I eventually let the 26 go. Carrying appendix the G19 is plenty small for me.

In reality a 43 with a spare mag is probably more than plenty unless you're doing LE work, but it's still not in the same league of user friendliness as the 19.

Biggy
01-23-18, 06:59
Here is a review by LAV of the G43 and Shield compared to the G19: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdYH2M7CJN4&t=2s

ramairthree
01-23-18, 07:20
By 1994 I went from a 92FS to a G19.
Same firepower, smaller package.
It really was groundbreaking to me to have service pistol capability in that compact package.

I got a G26 when they first came out a few years later.
I hated the flush 10 mag. At the time I did not like it with a plus zero mag extension, or with a G19 mag and spacer.

I re-visited it with the plus basepad more recently. I am a fan.

I played with the 43. Just not enough reduction for me to go with it. Will I change my mind in a decade?

Damn_yankee
01-23-18, 09:29
I still carry my M&P 2.0C but I also have an M&P Shield that I carry frequently as well. I carry AIWB with both and both conceal very well. The Shield is definitely easier to carry though. I also hate the thinness of the grip on the Shield so I got a Hogue beaver tail grip sleeve. This one will not shift while firing. It was a bitch to install because it is so tight. I had to put the sleeve in boiling water for a minute to help it go over the Shield grip.
https://i.imgur.com/1up5GP7.jpg

RHINOWSO
01-23-18, 09:45
I also hate the thinness of the grip on the Shield so I got a Hogue beaver tail grip sleeve. This one will not shift while firing. It was a bitch to install because it is so tight. I had to put the sleeve in boiling water for a minute to help it go over the Shield grip.
Very common with these small pistols. I have done the same on everyone one I have / currently own (LCP, PPS, G42, G43).

1911-A1
01-23-18, 11:24
I went from a G19 to a G17k (19 grip chop) to a G43 and now I'm back to the G17k .

I initially liked the idea of a slim 9mm carry gun, and it's easy to conceal but I am a big enough guy to hide a full size gun, so I realized I needed to stop being lazy and go back to carrying a gun I can fight with.

The G43 is too slim and small for a good consistent grip. I overgrip the trigger, and am just not as effective and fast as I am with a larger gun.

My carry gun now is the G17k with an RMR and a TLR-1 HL carried AIWB.

kenny256
01-23-18, 12:31
I went from a G19 to a G17k (19 grip chop) to a G43 and now I'm back to the G17k .

I initially liked the idea of a slim 9mm carry gun, and it's easy to conceal but I am a big enough guy to hide a full size gun, so I realized I needed to stop being lazy and go back to carrying a gun I can fight with.

The G43 is too slim and small for a good consistent grip. I overgrip the trigger, and am just not as effective and fast as I am with a larger gun.

My carry gun now is the G17k with an RMR and a TLR-1 HL carried AIWB.Pic? Just sounds like an interesting gun.

1911-A1
01-23-18, 13:57
Pic? Just sounds like an interesting gun.

http://i.imgur.com/6AZlTM6.jpg (https://imgur.com/6AZlTM6)

kenny256
01-23-18, 14:00
http://i.imgur.com/6AZlTM6.jpg (https://imgur.com/6AZlTM6)Everything I dreamed it would we.....[emoji7]

1911-A1
01-23-18, 14:40
Everything I dreamed it would we.....[emoji7]

I'm thinking a run of limited edition prints are in order.

kenny256
01-23-18, 14:51
I'm thinking a run of limited edition prints are in order.Put me down for a signed #1 print!

SiGfever
01-23-18, 19:04
Raven for both gun and magazine.

Thank you sir!

26 Inf
01-23-18, 19:31
I'm thinking a run of limited edition prints are in order.

Based on no copyright I've already had a poster size copy made and Hobby Lobby is working on the frame. LOL

In reality, it is part of my screensaver slide show.

Tigereye
01-23-18, 21:48
Who did the stippling? Really clean lines. I'm surprised you didn't go with the undercut trigger guard.

01-23-18, 23:03
I'm a big time 43 fan, but I didn't go from a 19 to a 43, I added the 43 to the stable.

It's a great option when you want to carry something really small and light. I don't like pocket carry at all, so my 43 is a really easy belt gun. I have been carrying some variant of Glock 19 for about 15 years and I have found what works well for me.

I carry a 19 strong side IWB in a JM #3 or a Milt Sparks Nexus, AIWB in a JM AIWB with a pad (I also have this setup for a 26). I have VMII and a JM IWB #3 for the 43, and a JM AIWB w/pad for the 43 as well. JM AIWB and left side mag carriers, and Milt Sparks left side mag carriers for both. I'm standardized on Wilderness 1 1/2" belts. I carry strong side with their original instructors belt with the internal stiffener, AIWB with a 5-stitch Frequent Flyer.

On rare occasions when I need to look tucked in and can't slip a 19 into my wife's purse, I carry a 43 on the outside right ankle in a cowboy boot. I use a Raven trigger guard holster and loop the lanyard through a pull strap on the boot top and let the pistol ride in a piece of bubble wrap folded over it. It's more comfortable, less bulky, and just as slow as any good ankle rig. I have also carried a J frame and 26 like that, but not since the 43 was introduced.

I'm lucky in that I do fairly well with any handgun, and my best shooting is done with a Glock 19. Even after two year long trials with a G 34 in USPSA on different occasions, I still best myself with a stock 19. I found it surprising that I shoot the 43 weak hand only better than any handgun I've tried. The Glock 43 took some getting used to with the small grip and narrow mag well, but I think it's sufficient for anything I'm likely to encounter. I know I can't run it to the same level as a 19, but I accept the trade-off in shooting performance for comfort and concealment.
To me the 43 is just another tool in the toolbox. It doesn't replace the 19, it just does certain thing better than the 19.

afff_667
01-24-18, 11:32
G43 was not a replacement but was originally added out of curiosity and as another tool for certain ill-defined (at the time) circumstances/situations. Yeah, I really just wanted to try a small, single-stack 9mm, and everything else I own is Glock. The G43 seemed like the way to go, and over time I've come to really enjoy that pistol. I can't say that it's "replaced" the G19, but it sees a lot of use.

I first carried my G43 in a Patriot Holsters IWB holster and a spare magazine also in one of his IWB mag pouches. Using this set up, the pistol and spare mag all but disappear. However, OWB carry is sometimes a better option and more comfortable, so I ordered a Milt Sparks 55-BN and matching mag pouch. That set up is also easily concealable even under the right t-shirt, and I don't have to worry about any allowances on pant size for IWB carry.

The G43 took a little work to get used to and comfortable with, but I'm sold on it and have gotten where I very likely carry it more than a G19, especially in warmer weather. I don't feel cheated or inadequately prepared with its more limited capacity, either.

nitroducky
01-30-18, 15:21
Personally, I did the reverse and switched my EDC from a G43 to a G19. The G43 absolutely disappeared on me and was incredibly easy to conceal. I tried an AIWB G19 set up from a friend and found that I could make a full size (well, almost) G19 disappear just as well. It was the larger aftermarket for the G19 that made me want to switch, as well as the larger round capacity. Now that I've modified my G19 extensively and run it as my EDC, I've been craving a smaller-form pistol again. Still own the G43, but I am tempted to replace it with an FNS N9c or the incoming Sig P365. The G43 for me was a literal "baby G19" and I still keep it today just because of the incredibly concealability. The fact that it weighs just over 1 pound when fully loaded is also hard to ignore.

AKDoug
01-31-18, 00:39
I went G19 to Shield and back to G19. I went G19 to XDs45 and back to G19.. I just can't seem to give up the capacity of the G19 because I keep hearing Frank Proctor whispering in my ear.. "bullets are opportunities".

shadow93
01-31-18, 12:01
I carry both, but the G19 the vast majority of the time. For me the G43 is a 10yd and in kind of gun because I simply cannot get the hang of shooting it. Like many others the grip size it just too small. I do vaguely shoot it better with my issued Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P than I do with ball 115gr but its still meh at best. I can make it work out to 15ish or so but I would probably not willingly take a low percentage shot with that gun if I needed to. The only benefit the G43 has to me is that its stupid easy to conceal in summer clothes or when making a quick run to the store or mailbox. I'd rather dress around the G19/RMR most days, even more so since I live in the town I work and all too often see people we've recently arrested out and about.

My next couple range sessions will be almost solely based around the G43 because after last weeks range day with it I need to see if I can make this gun work or look into selling it.

brickboy240
02-01-18, 10:43
I am a die hard Glock guy, but recently shot the 2.0 Shield right next to the G43. To be honest, the Shield shot tons better for me.

Odd that I am considering a Shield but it has a much better recoil impulse than did the G43...sorry.

jschmitt08
02-03-18, 23:31
When I first began carrying concealed, I started with a Ruger LCP. I then moved up to a Kahr PM9. I carried that for all of a few months and got a Glock 26. I preferred to carry the 26 with the gap floor plates. It helped on draw substantially. Eventually, I decided to try the 19. I have carried that ever since. After seeing this thread recently, I tried the 26 again. Yes the grip conceals better, but it's not much. The 26 may not be a 43 or a single stack 9, but there is something to be said for having a grip that you can fit your whole hand on. It inspires much more confidence. Needless to say, I'm back to the 19.

noonesshowmonkey
02-04-18, 03:49
I was recently visiting a friend who has a singular obsession with Glock 19s. The man owned at one point six (seven!?) of the things. But, he chose to pocket carry a G43. Or even stash it in some underoos.

A quick demo of making a Glock 19 disappear with an RCS Eidolon, then tossing the holster over to him and having him *poof* vanish a Glock 19 on his slim frame went a long way. Then, I pointed out that the holster is pre cut for an RMR and accepts suppressor height sights, stock.

I think he's sold.

My boy is tall and lanky, and if he can make a Glock 19 disappear under a thin t-shirt, just about anyone can.

A G43 is a great gun for specific circumstances. A non-permissive environment, a circumstance where your regular carry is a liability, where the dress code is such that to wear a belt is a no-go, etc. Outside of a strong extrinsic force, I see no reason to not have a Glock 19 on board.

RIDE
03-02-18, 17:02
I run both. G19 most of the time/year. G43 when it’s super warm outside and I’m wearing very light clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-02-18, 17:11
Went from a G19 to a 26, then to a Shield, and have finally happily settled on a G43 about a year ago. It's my backup on my vest, and my CC when off duty. It's such a suprisingly good shooter at under 10 yards, feels great in the hand, and carries extremely well. I have the LAV/Tangodown Mag Release, Slide Stop, and Mag Baseplates. I carry it in a G Code Incog.

WickedWillis
03-02-18, 18:00
Went from a G19 to a 26, then to a Shield, and have finally happily settled on a G43 about a year ago. It's my backup on my vest, and my CC when off duty. It's such a suprisingly good shooter at under 10 yards, feels great in the hand, and carries extremely well. I have the LAV/Tangodown Mag Release, Slide Stop, and Mag Baseplates. I carry it in a G Code Incog.

I started carrying a Glock 43 this week, after shooting it until my knuckle bled on Saturday vetting it out. About 300 rounds before it rubbed me bloody. I am also carrying it in a Incog. My only conflict with it is I'm not close to confident with it yet at all. I tried doing a dot drill and it was bad, really bad. Only a slight level of "It's my first time shooting a G43 consistently in years" am I giving myself. I feel my performance was unacceptable.

I pick up my G26, and 19 and instantly feel like I know everything to expect from them. I need more time on the G43 for sure, but I will make sure I have gloves on this time lol.

To add, I am not crazy about the Incog spare mag carrier. It's way bulkier than the gun holster itself, and digs in pretty hard to me. How does everyone else carry single stack spares?

Vandal
03-02-18, 23:33
To add, I am not crazy about the Incog spare mag carrier. It's way bulkier than the gun holster itself, and digs in pretty hard to me. How does everyone else carry single stack spares?

I'm probably not tactical enough but I stick mine in a front pocket.

Wa22ioR
03-03-18, 00:50

Hey WickedWillis,

Take a look at the NeoMag, designed to carry magazines in the pants pocket. They are a little expensive, but seem nice.

03-03-18, 04:18
How does everyone else carry single stack spares?

Leather. Look into Bianchi or Galco.

fhk96
03-03-18, 04:50
Carried a 19 for years. Got a 43 as a gift from my then fiancé. Used them depending on what I was wearing and going. Social family stuff the 43. Work and more about around town the 19. Now temporarily staying in kali to help my sick mother I can’t carry anymore :( but I brought my 43 to practice at the range and methodically I have run 1,200+ rounds the past month through it so far and have realized that it is making me a better shooter by returning to the fundamentals. Kinda’ watch out for the man with only one gun thing. CA is a straight up lunatic asylum.

drtywk
03-03-18, 09:57
Like 17K, I added a 43 to my stable for those times when my 19 isn't appropriate, like dropping my 5 year old off at preschool, heading to the gym, or to the beach. I run it with a Vickers +2 with a spare in the opposite pocket and carry it in either a RCS Morrigan at 3:30/4 or appendix in a Tap Rack Holsters IWB. I also have a Raven Vanguard 2 for appendix or off-body carry. I am thinking about a 26 with Magpul 12 rounders or, gasp, a Sig P365, but haven't fully committed yet. The P365 has me intrigued.

RHINOWSO
03-03-18, 21:36

I don’t have one for my G43 yet, but I use Dale Fricke horizontal carriers for all my magazine types except pocket guns.

https://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/magpouch-joab-horizontal/

daddyusmaximus
03-04-18, 00:26
I couldn't go to something that small without doing a +2 adapter on the mag. I can't shoot with my pinkie hanging off. The 19 is marginal. Though my fingers are not long, my hands are wide, so I prefer the 17. Need the big grip.

PLCedeno
03-04-18, 10:02
I couldn't go to something that small without doing a +2 adapter on the mag. I can't shoot with my pinkie hanging off. The 19 is marginal. Though my fingers are not long, my hands are wide, so I prefer the 17. Need the big grip.

This. Though i tried the M&P 2.0 Compact the other day and that one i can shoot well. Missing the cutout of the 19 Gen5 is a good thing. Tried the 43 also and just could not hang on to it efficiently for any significant amount of rounds. The 43 does not work with my big hands.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-04-18, 10:53
Seriously, get some magazine extensions. The gun feels alot better with a full grip on it.

RHINOWSO
03-04-18, 18:57
Thing is when you get honking mag extensions, you are better off with a G19. My limit for in the holster is a Pearce +1, with +2 as a reload.

MegademiC
03-04-18, 20:32
I carry shield spare
mags “ mexican carry” just tucked into waste band.

Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post

If i used a carrier, it would be one of these:

https://www.kytexgear.com/products-page/pistol-mag-carriers/mp9-shield/

https://www.skdtac.com/Ready-Tactical-Pistol-Mag-Pouch-p/rdt.103.htm

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-04-18, 22:13
Thing is when you get honking mag extensions, you are better off with a G19. My limit for in the holster is a Pearce +1, with +2 as a reload.

I'm actually buying a G19 tomorrow, I'll post some comparison pics with the G43 mag extensions from Tangodown. I'm actually curious to see it myself.

Eurodriver
03-04-18, 23:23
I have huge hands and have no issue shooting the G43 effectively.

What problems do you guys have? Pinky goes under the magazine. Fits perfectly.

daddyusmaximus
03-05-18, 09:24
Not only do I not like having my pinkie under the mag, but the but of the gun isn't resting against the meaty part of the palm of my hand like it should. I have less control of the gun under recoil. Each shot following the first is slower, and less accurate. No biggie a belly gun distance, but that may not always be the case. Just don't like a small grip. Weird, because I like small firm titties like a 34B, 36C...

WickedWillis
03-05-18, 12:17
I'm probably not tactical enough but I stick mine in a front pocket.

Which is exactly how I am carrying today lol thanks Vandal. I was just concerned with always hearing the orientation has to be ready to draw and so-on, but already it's more comfortable. Things grate on you when you are carrying 9 hours a day at work and doing every sort of movement possible.

Hey WickedWillis,

Take a look at the NeoMag, designed to carry magazines in the pants pocket. They are a little expensive, but seem nice.

I have seen quite a few guys carrying these

Leather. Look into Bianchi or Galco.

I swear off leather on holsters, but mag carriers I think it would be fine with.

I don’t have one for my G43 yet, but I use Dale Fricke horizontal carriers for all my magazine types except pocket guns.

https://dalefrickeholsters.com/product/magpouch-joab-horizontal/

Good to know thanks for the heads up.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-05-18, 16:22
Snagged my 19 today, it's been years since I had one, I forgot how cool they are. Anyways, the pics I promised....

https://i.imgur.com/hSKzQNV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ahO5Mko.jpg

The Vickers magazine extension is actually longer than the G19
https://i.imgur.com/JGOewcd.jpg

This is the standard G43 Magazine
https://i.imgur.com/dmPEuI5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5VXfzuI.jpg

WickedWillis
03-05-18, 16:46
I have huge hands and have no issue shooting the G43 effectively.

What problems do you guys have? Pinky goes under the magazine. Fits perfectly.

I have smaller hands and it rubs the knuckle at the base of my thumb. However, it might be because I try to get as high as possible on it with my medium-child hands. Same exact thing happens on my G17, and many full size handguns. The 19 it never happens on for some reason.

FollowThru
03-06-18, 09:47
I carry a G26 and have no plans to downsize or upsize. I can lighten the 26 very easily by taking out 5 rounds. It gets down to nit picking for me to go smaller than the 26, but that's me. :D

Tomahawk_Ghost
03-06-18, 19:12
Carried a G26 for years in a galco horsehide summer special. Went to a PM9. Now pretty much carry a Glock 19 all the time. Even to church. It just checks all the boxes.

Drew78
03-25-18, 06:58
Lowspeed_highdrag,

What holder is that?

drtywk
03-25-18, 19:08
Lowspeed_highdrag,

What holder is that?

Not LSHD, but that is a G-Code/Haley Strategic Incog: https://www.haleystrategic.com/equipment/holsters-and-carrier/incog-eclipse-glock-43.

ffhounddog
03-25-18, 21:00
I carry A Glock 19 most days but when I need something smaller it’s a Beretta Nano. I added Talon grips and it’s good to go for me. I think I’m the only one here that likes the Nano but I have had it since they first came out. It just shoots well for me.

michaelc
03-26-18, 16:47
I usually carry my G19 in the winter when I'm wearing heavier clothes, and I carry my M&P Shield during the summer. I just find it easier to conceal and more comfortable, but I love the feel and rounds capacity of my Glock 19!

Drew78
04-04-18, 07:12
I moved from a Glock 19 to a 43. The difference in concealability on my frame between the 2 is considerable. I carry aiwb, and for work I need to be business casual with a tucked in shirt. I've found a carry setup that completely disappears when tucked. I also want to keep my carry gun as consistent as possible between work hours and not work hours. I shoot the 43 as well as the 19, I am of course giving up capacity. Everything is a compromise.....

Beat Trash
04-04-18, 08:31
I moved from a Glock 19 to a 43. The difference in concealability on my frame between the 2 is considerable. I carry aiwb, and for work I need to be business casual with a tucked in shirt. I've found a carry setup that completely disappears when tucked. I also want to keep my carry gun as consistent as possible between work hours and not work hours. I shoot the 43 as well as the 19, I am of course giving up capacity. Everything is a compromise.....

What holster are you using with your 43 and a tucked shirt?

Drew78
04-04-18, 08:46
What holster are you using with your 43 and a tucked shirt?

It's a minimalist trigger guard holster with a clip attachment and spacer. I added my own modified ctac C clip or I can switch it out to a Utiliclip. I don't care for the provided clip, it defeats the purpose for me if there is an obvious clip shown on my belt. It's made by Cook Holsters. I add a small foam wedge and adjust the ride height to sit low, yet another comprise. Let's just say I highly value concealability while at work.

Sort of like a Raven vg2 but not as bulky. I'll try to get Some pics later, but it isn't anything Earth shattering. It works for my build, I'm about 5'7" and 180lbs, stocky build.

Drew

Edit:. Due to the pistol being thin plus no holster bulk being added I don't get a "bulge" where the pistol sits in my pants. Sadly, a bulge in my pants has never been an issue for me.... 😂

Spiffums
04-04-18, 11:24
I haveba shield inuse on occasion. My 19 is my main carry gun, but i carry the shiled when i cant hide the 19 (fitted business casual for work or other events or NPE).

Same. The shield is the perfect size for the little cubby hole in the truck too.

SHIVAN
04-07-18, 17:58
So which one are you carrying? And how do you like that Incog Eclipse? I am trying out the Vanguard 2 for the 43, and its a little too "pokey" for me.

Snagged my 19 today, it's been years since I had one, I forgot how cool they are. Anyways, the pics I promised....

https://i.imgur.com/hSKzQNV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ahO5Mko.jpg

The Vickers magazine extension is actually longer than the G19
https://i.imgur.com/JGOewcd.jpg

This is the standard G43 Magazine
https://i.imgur.com/dmPEuI5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5VXfzuI.jpg

SHIVAN
04-07-18, 18:21
Which are the better G43 extensions? Hyve, like Defoor is using? TangoDown by Vickers? Or Taran Tactical?

RHINOWSO
04-07-18, 19:18
I use Pearce +1 and Vickers +2.

Only 500rds through the gun but they work the best.

My G43 hated ETS magazines with anything but FMJ ammo, even though they work great in my G19 and G42.

prdubi
04-07-18, 19:54
Buddy did it and is happy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gary1911A1
04-08-18, 10:14
I got to admit my 43 is so much more comfortable in an IWB holster than a Glock 19 is and IWB is my preferred method of carry in the Summer.

usmcvet
04-08-18, 10:38
Years ago I carried a G23 then a JFrame. I tried a Seecamp .32, Beretta Tomcat .32, and Kahar’s in 9mm & .40. None of those worked for me. I stuck with a JFrame of sorts for over 15 years.

Then I had a G27 for about 5 years. It was ok but I needed an extended mag to hit anything beyond 10 yards and at that point it was the same grip length as my G23. It was too wide for pocket carry.

When I found the 9mm Shield I freaking fell in love! I’m using the Magguts +2 base for two 8 round magazines in a Purdy pocket mag pouch. I had to take the spacers off. They irritate me anyway as they never stay in place. I have the +1 Magguts in a 7 rounder in the gun. 29 rounds is damn respectable. I still have a pair of Desantis single pocket mag pouches.

I wanted to love the G43 but it’s way too small for my hand. The Shield is a perfect balance for me.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180408/88c5b727152adc45ead0f78e1ce790e1.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180408/7bb77d7107e599b45d4e018b4b74d138.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180408/990affd8cedc2e273bfd371c6d318f70.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ritepath
04-09-18, 14:45
Smaller, Lighter, Comfortable are always welcome in my book. For now my Shield and LCP rule he day...one day maybe he 365 can replace my Shield, but I don't see the LCP going away.