PDA

View Full Version : Any New Data on the HK45?

Race
10-15-08, 12:16
I'm considering one. Is there any new information on how these are holding up and performing?

Thanks.

dtibbals
10-15-08, 16:02
I have over 5k rounds through mine this year. It is an awesome handgun! In fact I sold 4 other guns I used to use for IDPA and training courses. I am about to purchase my second HK45 along with a HK45C. Check out HKPro.com for info or Greg Bell and his torture test. Gregs site: http://web.mac.com/timetravelfoundation/The_LAMP/PROJECT%3A_BREAK_MY_HK45/PROJECT%3A_BREAK_MY_HK45.html

Happy shooting!
Dave

Race
10-15-08, 18:44
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm used to pistols with a low bore-axis (1911s, BHPs, Glocks). I'm concerned about the higher boreline on the HK45. Have you had any issue with it?

I can tell a difference when I occasionally shoot my P220.

Thanks again.

dtibbals
10-15-08, 18:52
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm used to pistols with a low bore-axis (1911s, BHPs, Glocks). I'm concerned about the higher boreline on the HK45. Have you had any issue with it?

I can tell a difference when I occasionally shoot my P220.

Thanks again.

Not at all! The gun will fit your hand so well, offer lower recoil it is a dream to shoot. I had a friend at an IDPA match shoot my HK45 for the first time. He was using a HK USP 40 compact and he could not believe how much nicer the HK45 was. At 20 feet he placed ten rounds into a 1 inch hole. That is pretty impressive for someone who has never picked the gun up before. To be honest he is just an average shooter. The gun is simply amazing!

Dave

Sidewinder6
10-15-08, 20:30
AFter hearing and learning first hand about the creation of this pistol, I researched and them bought a full sized model.

It was a personal choice for my hands.

Out of the box, I realized some trigger work would help, again, because of a light trigger taste I have developed, not a problem with the gun. I had to learn the new system.

Since then, over the last sevreal months, I ran the gun through a tac handgun course and private range time both before and after and can say,
I love this gun.

Mine is a tack driver.

ABout the only thing you need to examine is whether your trigger finger is bothered by the ambi mag release on the bottom of the trigger guard.

I might advise you to keep your thumb off of the slide lock or risk having an empty mag fail to lock the slide to the rear on empty but so far, that took about two evolutions to get the hint. Id like to think of it as a self correcting error but YMMV.

I hope the gun continues to prove itself reliable because, I really am happy with mine. Like the added capacity over the 1911. Then there is the whole cliche about the Worlds FInest Close Quarter Handgun etcetera. You guys know of whom I speak. ( I am saluting).

Race
10-15-08, 21:32
Thanks. Yeah, the mag release concerns me, just from reading others' experiences.

I was able to handle one recently in a shop. Something else that also concerns me is, I could feel the channel in the bottom of the trigger guard when I pulled the trigger. I suppose I may need to send it to the gentleman that does the modification (don't remember his name offhand). Hate to have to do that with a modern $900 pistol. Most of my 1911s and a HP have a lot more than that in them, but I know that going in with those designs.

The "extended" mag release also concerns me. I don't like extended releases, as they get in the way for me.

I'll probably bite the bullet. I had several USPs in the past and sold all of them. I didn't like several things about them. The HK45 felt different enough that I think I could warm up to it.

Thanks again.

Robb Jensen
10-15-08, 21:37
Talked to my guy at HK Govt sales on Tues (this week), I should know more about what variant parts are available or will be available for the HK45 on Tues next week (I'm an HK sidearms (handguns) armorer).

Race
10-15-08, 21:58
Talked to my guy at HK Govt sales on Tues (this week), I should know more about what variant parts are available or will be available for the HK45 on Tues next week (I'm an HK sidearms (handguns) armorer).

I'm not sure, but I think I want the DA/SA variant that doesn't have the decocker. I always wonder if I'm going to decock a pistol like that if I release the safety in a hurry. (Maybe called a Variant 9?)

RAM Engineer
10-15-08, 22:02
I might be interested in a LEM version. I tried the standard variant (1?) with the decocker and I couldn't ride the safety like I can on a 1911.

JeffLester
10-15-08, 22:06
Something else that also concerns me is, I could feel the channel in the bottom of the trigger guard when I pulled the trigger. I suppose I may need to send it to the gentleman that does the modification (don't remember his name offhand). Hate to have to do that with a modern $900 pistol. Most of my 1911s and a HP have a lot more than that in them, but I know that going in with those designs.

I believe you may be thinking of David Bowie and Bowie Tactical. He has a website. I just received my new-to-me-again HK45C from David. He stippled the grip. All I can say is... NICE! I forgot how nice the thing shoots and how accurate it is. But I sure didn't forget how hard it was to hold on to when my hands weren't absolutely dry. Not the case now... David did a wonderful job on the stippling. I highly recommend it on the HK45C.

JeffLester
10-15-08, 22:10
I might be interested in a LEM version. I tried the standard variant (1?) with the decocker and I couldn't ride the safety like I can on a 1911.

V1 is correct. And you are correct about riding the safety. I had to retrain my thumb to NOT ride the safety. Before I did that, I'd decock the damn thing pretty regularly under stress. :eek:

dtibbals
10-15-08, 22:26
I have never had a mag drop when I didn't want it to. I never have hit it etc and I have big hands. I have not really ever seen anyone actually have an issue with it and probably 40 plus people have shot my gun. I have heard this on some forums but I don't recall it happening to people who are really shooting it, just from looking at it at the gun store and thinking it would be an issue. Its just like the USP except for the mag release is nicer by a long shot. Its also the same one on the P30 and its not an issue and its a duty weapon for German Police.

If that is your only worry don't worry about it. All the rounds I have shot through my HK45 have been in IDPA matches and weeks of tactical defensive training. The gun probably has been drawn from my holster a good 3k times. Never been an issue hitting the release when drawing, re holstering or shooting it.

Dave

Race
10-15-08, 22:30
Are you able to ride the safety with the Variant 9 (I think that's what it is)?

dtibbals
10-15-08, 22:39
I think that is the safety with out a decocker. Check out HKpro.com, it will be the same as the USP line. Right now all of the guns shipping from HK are V1 however you can send it to HK and have it converted.

Something to think about is they are starting to make the HK45 here in the USA. The German built HK45's are going to be hard to get or probably impossible to get in a few months.

Dave

JeffLester
10-15-08, 22:50
Are you able to ride the safety with the Variant 9 (I think that's what it is)?

V9 is correct (left side safety). I don't see why not. I could ride the safety/decock level most of the time, like my 1911. Occasionally, I'd accidentally decock only under stress. Rather than try to perfect the riding of the safety, I chose to move my right thumb to rest on top of my left thumb, based on a suggestion from LAV. It works for me.

You mentioned a P220 and a concern about bore axis. I just returned from the range today. I've been shooting my P220R (DAK) for the past 6 months, while David worked on my 45C. This included some match time as well. After shooting the 45C today (with a timer to gauge the difference), I have to say the 45C has a softer recoil than my P220R. I had quicker splits and reacquiring the target was better. Just my experience today...

5POINT56
10-16-08, 09:00
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/5POINT56/TC154.jpg

1,500 rounds down range (yeah, I realize, not a huge number) but no issues what so ever. By far my favorite handgun. Attached a nylon holster that fits the HK45 w/X300 mounted, to the side of my night stand next to my bed.

Not a great CCW gun as it's a bit large for that....but most definately a great gun.

RAM Engineer
10-16-08, 10:43
V1 is correct. And you are correct about riding the safety. I had to retrain my thumb to NOT ride the safety. Before I did that, I'd decock the damn thing pretty regularly under stress. :eek:

For me, it was less a problem of decocking and more of comfort. The safety really hurt my thumb. Specifically the proximal phalanx of my dominant thumb.

GlockWRX
10-16-08, 10:52
I've found that I can't ride the safety exactly like on a 1911. On the 1911 you can keep your thumb relatively straight. On the HK45 I've started bending my thumb and pressing with th tip part, rather than the side. That probably doesn't make sense. I should take a pic. It's more comfortable that way.

Also, I shoot southpaw and ride the ambi safety.

Sidewinder6
10-16-08, 20:20
I'm not sure, but I think I want the DA/SA variant that doesn't have the decocker. I always wonder if I'm going to decock a pistol like that if I release the safety in a hurry. (Maybe called a Variant 9?)

I was able to cause this issue drawing and firing from retention. Dropped the hammer but the good thing ws the DA saved that from becomming an issue. I think it is more a matter of body control, sort of like flatulance at a singles bar.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-16-08, 20:41
11,987 documented rounds through Erna, my HK45. I am convinced it is the finest combat .45 available. http://web.mac.com/timetravelfoundation/The_LAMP/PROJECT%3A_BREAK_MY_HK45/Entries/2007/12/2_Clash_of_the_Titans_files/shapeimage_2.jpg

dtibbals
10-17-08, 01:50
Hey Greg! Glad to see you over here, I posted a link to your thread on hkpro...your one of the few who has more rounds through your HK45 then me. I sooooooooo love my HK45. So much I sold both of my experts that I used to compete with and am running the HK45 100%. Just talked to CDNN today to order another HK45 and the HK45c. I am kicking around buying the P30 as well.

Dave

HK45
10-18-08, 03:03
The new HK's, HK 45, HK 45c, and P30 have shown amazingly few issues for a new model handgun. HK has also improved their customer service and badly needed to. Buy with confidence. They are excellent pistols.

HK45
10-18-08, 03:07
I think it is unlikley you will notice the channel when shooting. I noticed it in the shop but not when shooting. The mag release is great and the perfect size. I have owned some extremely accurate 1911's such as Les Baer but this pistol is right there with them.

Thanks. Yeah, the mag release concerns me, just from reading others' experiences.

I was able to handle one recently in a shop. Something else that also concerns me is, I could feel the channel in the bottom of the trigger guard when I pulled the trigger. I suppose I may need to send it to the gentleman that does the modification (don't remember his name offhand). Hate to have to do that with a modern $900 pistol. Most of my 1911s and a HP have a lot more than that in them, but I know that going in with those designs.

The "extended" mag release also concerns me. I don't like extended releases, as they get in the way for me.

I'll probably bite the bullet. I had several USPs in the past and sold all of them. I didn't like several things about them. The HK45 felt different enough that I think I could warm up to it.

Thanks again.

HK45
10-18-08, 03:08
Or you can order the parts and do it yourself for about $89.

I think that is the safety with out a decocker. Check out HKpro.com, it will be the same as the USP line. Right now all of the guns shipping from HK are V1 however you can send it to HK and have it converted.

Something to think about is they are starting to make the HK45 here in the USA. The German built HK45's are going to be hard to get or probably impossible to get in a few months.

Dave