PDA

View Full Version : FEG Thumb Safety Spring

Hulkstr8
01-24-18, 15:47
Hey guys,

I have an old FEG I am changing out the springs on and I wanted to change the spring in the safety (old school, serrated kind) because the safety engages well, but has no "click." Anyway, is there a way to get the damned pin that holds the spring out -it won't budge.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

JasonB1
01-24-18, 16:33
Which FEG?

Hulkstr8
01-25-18, 00:07
Hey,

I have the PJK-9HP.

Also, as a side note. Is it just me or are recoil springs a bitch to install? 1911s never gave me any pause but damn, both the 17 lbs and the near impossible 18.5 lb are killing my thumb strength.

JasonB1
01-25-18, 13:26
Have you tried both directions?
Penetrating oil?
Heat?
Is the punch small enough?

gaijin
01-25-18, 14:15
Re. recoil spring difficultly; place slide upside down in a padded vise (I use heavy leather).
Now put spring and guide rod in using both hands/thumbs, with slide captured in your vise.

Not familiar with the FEG, but isn’t it a BHP clone?
If it is and you want positive “on/off”, get a Cylinder and Slide safety.
If you fit it properly it has a definite “snick”, off and on.

JasonB1
01-25-18, 15:26
Not familiar with the FEG, but isn’t it a BHP clone?
If it is and you want positive “on/off”, get a Cylinder and Slide safety.
If you fit it properly it has a definite “snick”, off and on.

It is pretty close to being a 1:1 copy of a 1st gen. external extractor hi power...parts interchange except for the backstrap of a Pachmayer wrap around grip due to the FEG having thicker metal at the rear of the grip.

Been awhile since I have had one, but think the FEG has a slightly extended area on the slide where the barrel exits....thinking that was late 70's until the MkIII on FN guns?

And some 9hp models had vent ribs too.

Hulkstr8
02-03-18, 15:12
Have you tried both directions?
Penetrating oil?
Heat?
Is the punch small enough?

Yeah, I haven't tried heat yet. It's a pain. Maybe replacement is the way to go, but dang.