PDA

View Full Version : Hats Off to a Great Actor

Doc Safari
01-24-18, 17:47
You probably don't know his name.

I guarantee you've seen him in a gazillion movies but you probably never noticed that he's in the movie you're watching now....and the movie you watched last week.....and the movie you watched twenty years ago.

He's been in everything from comedies to action thrillers.

Most recently he's the bald officer in "12 Strong."

He's a great character actor and it's time he got recognition for a prolific career that has largely been ignored because...well, because he blends into his movies so well.

William Fichtner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fichtner

I first began to recognize this talented actor when my girlfriend and I saw him in two movies in one night: never the lead player, always a supporting player...but with his prolific career I bet he's managed to make a pretty good living in Hollywood.

Now, it's kind of become a game whenever my girlfriend and I watch a movie. If he's in it, I'll lean over to my girlfriend and whisper, "There's Fichtner!"

Hats off, brother, may you make many more movies!

Partial, and I mean VERY partial. filmography:

Pearl Harbor
Black Hawk Down
Blades of Glory
The Dark Knight
Heat
The Lone Ranger
Elysium
Independence Day: Resurgence
12 Strong

And these are just some of the movies I'VE SEEN.

Firefly
01-24-18, 18:15
I sorta wanna see William Fichtner and Gary Oldman in the buddy cop movie from HELL, man.

I agree. They aren't guys showing up. They blend in. Like you see an Angelina Jolie movie and she's Angelina Joilie. Same with Brad Pitt and John Wayne.

But those two are chameleons. I was watching that show Mom one night on CMT and got into it and he shows up as the tall one's wheelchsir boyfriend. And I'm all hey man that's the Delta Force guy. He was also in Armageddon which...I liked in the day until they overplayed that Aerosmith song

3 AE
01-24-18, 18:23
So that's William Fichtner. Now I remember his supporting role in "Contact". Definitely the "Grey Man" of Hollywood. With his demeanor, looks, and voice, I could picture him in a role as a hitman for hire, putting a round in the back of the head of his target in an office lobby, walking out and helping a little old lady cross the street, and no one would be the wiser!

militarymoron
01-24-18, 18:23
I think I first saw him in 'Heat', and started recognizing him in a lot of good shows/movies. Good actor for sure.

DJK
01-24-18, 18:33
Don't forget Armageddon with Bruce Willis.

glocktogo
01-24-18, 18:40
Agreed. The mark of a great actor is when you know their characters more than you do their stardom.

Kain
01-24-18, 20:06
Don't forget Armageddon with Bruce Willis.

Actually thought of the movie Ultraviolet. But then I might be only one here that owns that movie. lol.

Jellybean
01-24-18, 20:46
First time I saw him was in the TV show Prison Break, so it's always been "hey, there's Alex from Prison Break" for me.
And I agree- he does show up *everywhere*....

FromMyColdDeadHand
01-24-18, 21:01
From his wikipedia page his second wife's name is:

Kymberly Kalil

Slow clap; well done. Knew she was hot and The Google confirmed it.

MegademiC
01-24-18, 21:03
You probably don't know his name.

I guarantee you've seen him in a gazillion movies but you probably never noticed that he's in the movie you're watching now....and the movie you watched last week.....and the movie you watched twenty years ago.

He's been in everything from comedies to action thrillers.

Most recently he's the bald officer in "12 Strong."

He's a great character actor and it's time he got recognition for a prolific career that has largely been ignored because...well, because he blends into his movies so well.

William Fichtner
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fichtner

I first began to recognize this talented actor when my girlfriend and I saw him in two movies in one night: never the lead player, always a supporting player...but with his prolific career I bet he's managed to make a pretty good living in Hollywood.

Now, it's kind of become a game whenever my girlfriend and I watch a movie. If he's in it, I'll lean over to my girlfriend and whisper, "There's Fichtner!"

Hats off, brother, may you make many more movies!

Partial, and I mean VERY partial. filmography:

Pearl Harbor
Black Hawk Down
Blades of Glory
The Dark Knight
Heat
The Lone Ranger
Elysium
Independence Day: Resurgence
12 Strong

And these are just some of the movies I'VE SEEN.

Hes in Equillibrium, a highly recommended movie.

Kain
01-24-18, 21:07
Hes in Equillibrium, a highly recommended movie.

I knew there was another movie I was missing that he was in. ****.
Great movie by the way. Seriously, think Fahrenheit 451 but with more gun play. And Sean Bean get shot in the face for you Sean bean death connoisseurs.

Firefly
01-24-18, 21:09
Actually thought of the movie Ultraviolet. But then I might be only one here that owns that movie. lol.

Actually, I have it too...
#NoRagrets

Kain
01-24-18, 21:20
Actually, I have it too...
#NoRagrets

Regular or Unrated cut for the extra 6 minutes?

Firefly
01-24-18, 21:29
Regular or Unrated cut for the extra 6 minutes?

Unrated, duh.

Even saw it in theatres. God what year was that? Been a while.

It was like whomever made that binged on acid and anime. No complaints. Had peak Jovovich.

Waaaaaay better than Underworld. I fell asleep watching it in theatres. It was so boring.

At least Ultraviolet had an interesting color pallet as opposed to a buncha people in the sewers with fake English accent.

Blade is still the Gold Standard of murdering vampires but only the first one

tb-av
01-24-18, 21:31
That guy is in everything..... He had a good role in The Perfect Storm also.

CLHC
01-24-18, 21:33
Great Actor to be sure in my opinion. Anybody remember his character's name Law in Albino Alligator?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_JRm5Umo5s

Firefly
01-24-18, 21:41
He was also in two of my favorite 90s movies, Go and Strange Days.

Strange Days had a killer soundtrack.

Kain
01-24-18, 21:44
Unrated, duh.

Even saw it in theatres. God what year was that? Been a while.

It was like whomever made that binged on acid and anime. No complaints. Had peak Jovovich.

Waaaaaay better than Underworld. I fell asleep watching it in theatres. It was so boring.

At least Ultraviolet had an interesting color pallet as opposed to a buncha people in the sewers with fake English accent.

Blade is still the Gold Standard of murdering vampires but only the first one

Very nice. I did not see any of those in theaters sadly. :( But, alas, such is life.

Ya know, I liked Underworld. I liked it's kind of gritty feel and I wanted some of the guns. Then again it might have been the leather and the fact that I would ****ed Kate Beckinsale sideways. And English accents, and russian accents for that matter, in women, give me like an instant heavy barrel. That said, after the first one the Underworld movies took a sad turn.

And yes, Blade is really kind of the OG kill buckets of suck heads. It really is just that good. I even had the bloodrave on my ipod and rock out to it. Cuz it just that good. The second sucked, no pun intended, and the third one, well the only redeeming quality was Ryan Reynolds and Jessie Biel, but even if she had gotten her tits out it wouldn't have saved that movie.

Firefly
01-24-18, 22:00
They came out around the same time I think. I'm into goth chicks and sista girls so...yep. Depending on who Im with, I (used) to hit up all the weird stuff. (Stay in to watch nowadays). Dude, the trailer to Underworld looked interesting especially the slow mo jump in the water with the katana sword but I just couldn't get into it.

A bit OT but I thought Queen of the Damned was gonna be lame and got dragged to it but ended up liking it.

tog
01-24-18, 22:35
It was the movie Contact when I first saw him. I've been a fan ever since.

Bulletdog
01-25-18, 00:23
I became a fan when he did "Invasion" the TV show. 2005.

You know what I like about him besides his acting abilities? I don't know his politics.

Arik
01-25-18, 07:40
Also in The Perfect Storm. Based on true story about a bunch of fishermen who died out at sea. I think it had Clooney and Wahlberg in it too.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Big A
01-25-18, 07:56
He's also one of the co-hosts on the revamped American Top Gear on BBC. (It still sucks but less so than the History channel one.)

I think William Fichtner, Bruce Campbell and John C. McGinley deserve lifetime achievement awards from one of them organizations where all the actors and directors fellate one another.

Pilot1
01-25-18, 10:26
I've always liked him. Yeah, Heat, Perfect Storm, Blackhawk Down, etc. My GF likes to watch the TV show Mom, and there he is.......again. The guy does get the work.

chuckman
01-25-18, 11:09
Sgt Sanderson in BHD was my favorite character, a composite of several CAG soldiers. But he's been in a shit-load of movies. Kinda like Bruce Gill, one of those actors that's just all over the place.

glocktogo
01-25-18, 12:00

You know what I like about him besides his acting abilities? I don't know his politics.

EXACTLY! I can't watch a single thing Neeson is in anymore for that reason. :(

tog
01-25-18, 13:05

Now I understand why I am a fan!