PDA

View Full Version : LMT STD16 or LMT CQB16 MRP?

F105G
10-15-08, 18:47
I'm ready to lay down some cash.

I'm leaning towards the MRP.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Basically for plinking but I like the LMT quality.

LMT556
10-15-08, 19:53
Either one will get you LMT quality, it just comes down to your personal preference and what you will use it for. If it is mainly for plinking and HD/SHTF, my choice would be (and was) the standard LMT M4. JMHO

Gunrider
10-16-08, 01:19
The MRP has a distinctly solid feel that many ARs don't.
Also has quick change barrel feature. you can loosen two screws and go 6.8 SPC or 204 Ruger in true Milspec quality. Go with the MRP!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4813.jpg

Sabre675
10-16-08, 02:26
WIN/WIN situation! I however have an MRP and love it.

Cohibra45
10-16-08, 09:19
Go with the MRP CQB for sure!!!!!!!!! If you have even the slightest notion of getting into the piston part, you can very easily with the MRP CQB. If not, the process of changing calibers in the MRP is extremely easy and quick. The solid top is the best in the industry (IMO) and the sights come with the complete rifle!!! You get the whole package. Yes it is more money up front, but if you wait and get the standard rifle and want to upgrade, it will cost you a lot more.;)

BTW, I have their new piston rifle and couldn't be happier!!!!!!!!!!

the_accuser
10-16-08, 13:03
Another vote for the CQB MRP! I love mine and cannot wait to get the piston conversion later.

jhs1969
10-16-08, 23:13
I'll watch this thread closely. I have a LMT M4 16" that is a terrific carbine and meets all my needs/expections. I'm looking at another purchase in the near future and am currently trying to decide between the 6920, another LMT M4 or the MRP.

F105G
10-17-08, 15:20
Placed my order for an MRP CQB today.

Should be in in about 6 to 8 weeks.

Jeremiah 29:11
10-21-08, 19:42
I am in the market for an LMT MRP.

Can I ask where on line did you find yours?

Did you buy the uppers and lower separately or all in 1 package?

Thanks for you reply.

Cohibra45
10-22-08, 03:14
I am in the market for an LMT MRP.

Can I ask where on line did you find yours?

Did you buy the uppers and lower separately or all in 1 package?

Thanks for you reply.

I purchased mine as a complete rifle from a local dealer (about 45min from my house). I called up LMT and spoke with Ryan and asked him where a dealer local to me might be. I suggest you give him a call. He can usually steer you in the right direction to dealers that they do the most business with. That way, you should be able to get one of their rifles or upper/lower combination more readily.

Take care,

Kelly

10-22-08, 21:34
Thanks Cohibra45. I think I will contact Ryan and see who may be located to me near by.

bullitt5172
10-23-08, 19:55
Looks like I am in the minority here but I prefer the standard M4. I am not a huge fan of the MRP.

10-23-08, 22:40
Can you tell me why you do not like the MRP platform?

Please give me some reasons.

bullitt5172
10-23-08, 22:51
Can you tell me why you do not like the MRP platform?

Please give me some reasons.

It's not that I dislike the MRP, I just don't need/want the ability to swap barrels. They are considerably more expensive than the standard M4 LMT upper. I also prefer a FSB and have no need for the monolithic upper rail. They are excellent uppers if you want/need anything mentioned above.

Gunrider
10-23-08, 23:55
The MRP gives you one of the most secure, unitized feeling AR type rifles out there! No flexing forend -- Optics all the way out to the gas block on the same plane --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/LMTMRPCQB.jpg

It is an elegant answer to several questions

bushmasterar15
10-24-08, 02:52
I'm about to purchase the LMT CQB MRP 10.5" for my SBR.

CrawGator
10-24-08, 12:11
The MRP gives you one of the most secure, unitized feeling AR type rifles out there! No flexing forend -- Optics all the way out to the gas block on the same plane --

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/LMTMRPCQB.jpg

It is an elegant answer to several questions

That's a sweet looking weapon!

Gunrider
10-24-08, 13:00
Thanks! LMT MRP is the best AR platform gun I've owned (and I've been buying ARs since 1979!)

sideshowbob
10-24-08, 13:02
I am facing the same dilemma. The MRP is really cool, but am not so keen on the price. The STD16 will suit my needs. But the MRP is really cool, and is amenable to the piston upgrade.

oalocke
10-25-08, 11:14
I just went through this process, so I'll chime in just because I haven't seen it mentioned yet: if weight is a consideration I'd definitely recommend handling them both before deciding. The MRP is certainly solid, but it also felt substantially heavier to me and I ended up with the STD. I also like the ability to chose an aftermarket rail (to customize length/weight) which again isn't an option with the MRP.

Sabre675
10-25-08, 14:03
I am facing the same dilemma. The MRP is really cool, but am not so keen on the price. The STD16 will suit my needs. But the MRP is really cool, and is amenable to the piston upgrade.

Price really isn't as much of an issue as one would think. If you compare platform to platform they are basically even if you are thinking of getting an aftermarket rail, low gas block etc. Plus your getting a Mike Rock blank for a barrel. As far as weight goes I have 3 railed SBR's. One of which is the MRP. I myself don't understand where people keep talking about the weight. Me and my co-workers all think the MRP is very light/user friendly platform. Is it better then other high end AR's. NO. It is comparable. I have a 10.5 Noveske/MUR/Larue upper that I favor as well. But one does not shadow the other.

Razorhunter
10-25-08, 14:26
If you take a 16" 5.56 CQB MRP upper without any accessories attached to it, and then you weight it, you will find that it is barely just a couple/few ounces heavier than a standard 16" upper, of the exact same setup (meaning having a 9" FF rail installed onto it, but no other accessories).
Basically, the MRP is only just a couple/few ounces heavier, due to the MRP's slightly heavier bbl profile. It is NOT an HBAR (heavy profile bbl), but rather a MED countour bbl.
I personally WOULD like to see LMT offer a lightweight bbl contour for their MRP's, but I certainly would not let the MED countour bbl sway me from a purchase. There is just TOO LITTLE of a difference.

10-27-08, 08:50
It is NOT an HBAR (heavy profile bbl), but rather a MED countour bbl.

Well, yesterday I bit the bullet so to speak and bought the CQB16 from a dealer that allowed me to see one that was already bought from some else. I really wanted the piston version but it was starting to hurt the pocket book. I think I may get it later as a conversion kit.

No wheres in the literature can I find that is a a Medium Contour barrel. I was wondering where that information is it?

Now all I have to do is wait for about 4 weeks for it to arrive. I can hardly wait.
Like a kid in a candy store. A bit pricey, but I feel I made the best decision 2nd to none.

As for it being heavy, I just don't agree. I picked up the Sig 556 SWAT and I could tell it was heavier for sure.

sewvacman
10-27-08, 09:21
I went through the same dilema a couple months ago. I ended up with the m4 and putting a DD lite rail on mine. The [I]only[I] thing I personally don't like about the MRP is the limitations on barrel calibers. I want a 6.5 grendel and 5.45x39 option. If that was offered I definitely would have gone with a MRP.

10-27-08, 09:55
I want a 6.5 grendel and 5.45x39 option. If that was offered I definitely would have gone with a MRP.

I too like the 6.5 Grendel because of its knockdown power over 500 yards. However, the ammunition is expensive and hard to find. The 6.8 is not as good
but certainly better than 5.56.

Rumor has it that the MRP may come out with the 7.62X39mm and if it does that will help with ammunition costs and it being readily available.

BTW - try taking an M4 from the hand guard to the butt stock and twisting it. I found out the MRP is rock solid and picked up another brand and there was certainly some movement. Certainly not good for optics.

Razorhunter
10-27-08, 19:37
I went through the same dilema a couple months ago. I ended up with the m4 and putting a DD lite rail on mine. The [I]only[I] thing I personally don't like about the MRP is the limitations on barrel calibers. I want a 6.5 grendel and 5.45x39 option. If that was offered I definitely would have gone with a MRP.

These calibers are coming in the future. LMT is going to do just about any caliber they can, as long as reliable mags are available (which is why they 86'd the 7.62x39 caliber after they had already printed catalogs advertising the caliber as an option). I recently informed Ryan about the new CProducts 7.62x39 mags, and he made note of it, and took it up the ladder, but even I personally don't think they need to go ahead with the 7.62x39. CProducts mags usually suck.
You will eventually get those other calibers available though.

Razorhunter
10-27-08, 19:42
No wheres in the literature can I find that is a a Medium Contour barrel. I was wondering where that information is it?

The reason you didn't see that in the LMT manual, is because they are assuming that you already know what kind of bbl you purchased.
It's not a HBAR, and it's not a LW.

Gunrider
10-27-08, 19:44
I too like the 6.5 Grendel because of its knockdown power over 500 yards. However, the ammunition is expensive and hard to find. The 6.8 is not as good
but certainly better than 5.56.

Rumor has it that the MRP may come out with the 7.62X39mm and if it does that will help with ammunition costs and it being readily available.

BTW - try taking an M4 from the hand guard to the butt stock and twisting it. I found out the MRP is rock solid and picked up another brand and there was certainly some movement. Certainly not good for optics.

I have a great custom built AR on Spike's parts -- but you can feel it flexing as you fire it. My two LMT MRPs are solid as rocks.

10-27-08, 22:03
The reason you didn't see that in the LMT manual, is because they are assuming that you already know what kind of bbl you purchased.
It's not a HBAR, and it's not a LW.

What manual? I ordered but the rifle arrives in 4-6 weeks. I would like to know on line or in the sales catalog where it says what kind of barrel you are ordering. Most other companies you can specify the barrel type. But not at LMT.

If order it on line, then you find out after it arrives what you got. The store I ordered it from only had 1 on display and no where on the barrel does it say what it is. Am I missing something? Please let me know.

I just know I am eager to get it because whatever LMT makes it is good especially on the MRP platform.

Razorhunter
10-27-08, 22:34
I would like to know on line or in the sales catalog where it says what kind of barrel you are ordering.

In every LMT catalog, a big huge pic of the LMT MRP bbls is shown, and a picture is worth a thousand words my friend.

Razorhunter
10-27-08, 22:37
If order it on line, then you find out after it arrives what you got. The store I ordered it from only had 1 on display and no where on the barrel does it say what it is. Am I missing something? Please let me know.

I.

Yes, you are missing something. LMT is most likely assuming that anyone who orders an MRP online, has done their research before spending over a thousand dollars on a product...

Gunrider
10-28-08, 09:09
LMT CQB MRP gas piston components:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/LMTgaspistonparts.jpg

Flipside
10-28-08, 09:44
I'm ready to lay down some cash.

I'm leaning towards the MRP.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Basically for plinking but I like the LMT quality.

I've spent the last year or so looking at the options. Considering what's new and how much you get for what you pay, I settled on the CQB16. Right from the factory, it also turns out to be less expensive than getting a M4 version, and adding a LaRue (or similar quad rail) front end. As a bonus, the carbine MRP platform can be easily modified to accept a gas piston in the future should you wish to go that route.

5POINT56
10-28-08, 12:08
I'm a bit torn.

I'm already sold on the MRP, but not sure exactly which one.

A) MRP 16"
B) MRP 12" Piston
c) MRP 16" Piston

I lean towards thew 12" as LMT does SBR's well and is known for their reliability, but until their released, I'm up in the air. I'm still not 100% sold on needing a piston system....and am not sure it's worth the extra money, to me.

Sabre675
10-28-08, 15:31
I wouldn't consider a piston unless the barrel was 12" or shorter. Even then I'm not sure I'd sway from DI.

10-28-08, 15:39
Yes, you are missing something. LMT is most likely assuming that anyone who orders an MRP online, has done their research before spending over a thousand dollars on a product...

Okay send me a link to their website so I can see what type of barrel it is.

Don't show me a picture as I do not have the expertise by sight to see if it is an
HBAR, Medium Contour, SOCOM, Bull, or Government Profile.

I look forward to your reply.

decodeddiesel
10-28-08, 15:51
Looks like I am in the minority here but I prefer the standard M4. I am not a huge fan of the MRP.

I would agree with you. While there are some advantages to the MRP, I prefer the standard LMT M4. Use the money you saved on a good sling, a high quality optic (Aimpoint or ACOG), and a Surefire light...

Cazwell
10-30-08, 00:39
I would agree with you. While there are some advantages to the MRP, I prefer the standard LMT M4. Use the money you saved on a good sling, a high quality optic (Aimpoint or ACOG), and a Surefire light...

Is it really that big of a difference in price? The carbine version MRP upper is $1080.00 right? I'm not for sure on the numbers but I checked the catalog about a week ago - as I am trying to make the same decision.

Seems to me the standard flat top upper (16 inch) is about $490.00 or so, standard BCG is about $130.00, the enhanced set is close to 300. So $650 - $800 vs $1100 right? Depending on the optic you want, that's barely enough to squeeze one out.

Flipside
10-30-08, 16:53
The CQB16 MSRP is $1776. When mine gets here (from a local dealer), it will be just shy of $1500. Buying the M4 version was a consideration. However, to add a quad rail to the M4 would add ~$300 for the rail (LaRue in this case). Then, I'd either need to buy the tools to do it right, or have a smith do it for me. Add the going rates in your neighborhood for the option of your choice.

After much loss of sleep, I decided to get the MRP version.

There's no way the rails are going to torque, shift or loosen. Plus, it's put together at the factory, and warranted forever as such. I realize the warranty isn't going to save my bacon in a fire, but it did factor into the decision to buy a complete system, or LEGO it together.

The hardest part was once the MRP was decided, the choice of gas or piston had to be made. I decided to let the piston concept grow a little more. The gas system has proven itself capable over the last couple 'a decades - the piston has been out for a few years. In the case of the LMT MRP platform, the piston can easily replace the gas system without much grief.

Gunrider
10-30-08, 17:04
I had a lot of sleepness nights before deciding to change from 7.62mm M-14 platforms to the 5.56mm. I was lucky enough to get my hands on two MRPs -- one piston, one DI -- I can now invest in 204 Ruger and 6.8SPC barrels to my heart's contentment.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4822.jpg

You make a great point -- to get these rails, the machine gun quality barrel, caliber interchangeability, would have added much more to the cost of another manufacturers M-4.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p54/Fasanoland/_MG_4591.jpg

bushmasterar15
10-30-08, 17:47
What brand of torque wrench should I get do to the one supplied could be wrong. What torque wrench do you have in your case?

Ryo
10-31-08, 16:10
MRP's.. I'm still waiting for mine. Guess it take a while to get them out.